0353: "Python"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

User avatar
taptap
I laughed so hard i fell out of my concubine
Posts: 393
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2007 4:46 am UTC
Location: Hidin' from the Brain Fuckler
Contact:

Re: "Python" discussion

Postby taptap » Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:19 am UTC

scowdich wrote:Nobody is concerned about the "sampled everything in the medicine cabinet" bit?


This comment raises my interest of the comic! It's the part that really made me begin my el oh el.

Davean wrote:Only the bots can see the entire forum the mods have dedicated to bashing taptap for asking questions with obvious answers. It should look good when his next interviewer Googles him before the interview.

mrmanme
Posts: 26
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 2:49 am UTC
Contact:

Re: "Python" discussion

Postby mrmanme » Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:28 am UTC

Someone care to help me? I'm having trouble parsing the middle panel on the bottom.

Kiirani
Posts: 38
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2007 10:48 am UTC

Re: "Python" discussion

Postby Kiirani » Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:31 am UTC

Ah, python <3

User avatar
schumi_girl
Human sacrifice for hire
Posts: 598
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:16 am UTC
Location: Under my doona, playing cubby houses.

Re: "Python" discussion

Postby schumi_girl » Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:42 am UTC

Python was the very first language I learnt to use. I love it.

Loved this comic then :)


Adam: "This could be trouble."
Riley: "We'd better make a fort."
Adam: "I'll get some pillows."

ln|mower|+c
Posts: 31
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2007 3:20 am UTC

Re: "Python" discussion

Postby ln|mower|+c » Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:43 am UTC

DragonHawk wrote:Oh, boy, a programming language war on xkcd! This should be fun.

My favorite language is INTERCAL. Hey, it's Turing-complete. ;-)

I posted this comic to the local Python SIG's mailing list; they should get a chuckle out of it.


That Wikipedia article on INTERCAL was one of the funnier articles I have read on Wikipedia in awhile!
signature

MostAwesomeDude
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:53 pm UTC

Re: "Python" discussion

Postby MostAwesomeDude » Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:45 am UTC

Ah, the joy of Python is rapid skeletal prototyping. See, you write a program in wxWidgets using Python in a day, and then you take two weeks to turn your Python into hand-tuned C++. Truly a way to develop in style.

floyd4one
Posts: 34
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:19 am UTC
Location: i'm in your head rearranging the furniture
Contact:

Re: "Python" discussion

Postby floyd4one » Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:59 am UTC

Satertek wrote:At work tip: Python website is .org NOT .com. :shock:


wow... indeed.

also Whitespace is a favorite of mine.

ColdWolf
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:56 am UTC

Re: "Python" discussion

Postby ColdWolf » Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:59 am UTC

Unforgiven wrote:
aeflash wrote:
galofdasouth wrote:But yeah, Python is for people who want to program but don't want to actually learn how to program. This is why I am able to use it. :-D

Actually, one thing that I see that I dont like about python is that it brings about a breed of programmers that don't need to understand computers.

That's rather elitist, and a far too common attitude. Why is programming without understanding computers a bad thing? As long as these guys don't write software for nuclear powerplants I don't see the problem.

Thank you so much. I'm a "casual" programmer myself (full-time designer) and I need tools that help me get cool stuff done quickly. Learning how to utilize every hertz, while not impossible, is simply a rather fruitless pursuit for someone in my position. And so, I love Python and it has helped me get the gist of programming in general, making it easier for me to learn ActionScript (Flash) and soon, Java (which I failed at--miserably--in college).

Seeing this comic made my week :mrgreen:

++$_
Mo' Money
Posts: 2370
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:06 am UTC

Re: "Python" discussion

Postby ++$_ » Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:09 am UTC

Guess which language I like :) (Hint for the obtuse: Look at the username.)

I still love Python though. It's a great language, I just happen to be a better Perl programmer than a Python programmer. (I left Python for Perl, and I've never regretted it, although perhaps others around me do -- who knows.)

There is no comparison between C++ and (?:P(?:erl|ython)|Ruby). They are designed for different tasks.
top1214 wrote:I love perl arrays and regex.

And who doesn't like using $_, $1, or something like @{$_[0]} ?
Indeed. Who doesn't? (Well, maybe the people who developed Python don't, because they're religiously opposed to it.) Personally, I think @_ is a better idea than named arguments (although it would be nice to have both options).

User avatar
GGLucas
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:17 pm UTC
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

Re: "Python" discussion

Postby GGLucas » Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:21 am UTC

Creepy :shock:
I learned Python last night, seriously, and have come to a similar insight: <3 Python.
It feels so much more natural and intuitive coding in Python than say, C#, and the whole interpreted-but-compiled thing just kicks ass.

User avatar
thebeanie
Posts: 56
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:13 am UTC
Location: Australia
Contact:

Re: "Python" discussion

Postby thebeanie » Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:23 am UTC

FUCK YES.

FUCK YES.

FUCK YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!eleven

PYTHON FTW!


In your fucking face, Perl!

platypus01
Posts: 101
Joined: Sat Jul 28, 2007 6:50 am UTC

Re: "Python" discussion

Postby platypus01 » Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:24 am UTC

i should probably teach myself python sometime. trying to prototype stuff in C while still a novice sucks hard. half the time you're better off just writing it clean from the get-go because 1) you'll forget what you wrote and 2) you won't be able to decipher what you wrote later. bleh.

i should also teach myself a lot of other things, though. but i never get around to any of them. argh.
bleh

sgware
Posts: 34
Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2007 7:18 am UTC

Re: "Python" discussion

Postby sgware » Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:26 am UTC

9tails wrote:<3 Ruby.

Preach it brother!

All the ease of Python, plus some, with built-in regex support. The more I use Ruby, the more I realize that it was made by programmers for programmers. I feel dirty using anything else now.
One day, I hope to change the world. Now if only they would give me the source code...

the human perl script
Posts: 69
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:37 pm UTC

Re: "Python" discussion

Postby the human perl script » Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:47 am UTC

As an anthropomorphic Perl script I am utterly appalled by the unbridled racial prejudice on display in this thread.

My personal dislike of Python is based on two main things:
1. Removal of widely accepted visual markers for the sake of aesthetics and appeal to nerd egos
2. Python's high Page-Brin fanboy quotient (See appendix A).

The one thing that I will concede to Python is that Google use it for a bunch of important stuff which is pretty cool and can't be said about many languages.

Appendix A wrote:Results 1 - 10 of about 391 for "ruby fanboys"
Results 1 - 10 of about 287 for "java fanboys"
Results 1 - 10 of about 77 for "python fanboys"
Results 1 - 10 of about 64 for "c++ fanboys"
Results 1 - 10 of about 49 for "php fanboys"
Results 1 - 9 of 9 for "perl fanboys"
Results 1 - 9 of 9 for "c# fanboys"

Nentuaby
Posts: 15
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2006 5:57 am UTC

Re: "Python" discussion

Postby Nentuaby » Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:15 am UTC

I have used Python. Professionally.

STUPID BLOODY @*%$ PIECE OF CRAP OBJECT ORIENTATION "FEATURES." "Dynamic" typing? There is NO class typing. It's all a bloody "object." And don't even get me started about the drudgery of specifying things despite its retarded lack of scoping rules. Imports? Incredibly laborious.

For scripting? Sure. It's nice. It's my favorite scripting language, actually.

But for anything major? For application development? For anything modular? Gag me with a spoon.
Last edited by Nentuaby on Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:17 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Anpheus
I can't get any worse, can I?
Posts: 860
Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:38 pm UTC
Location: A privileged frame of reference.

Re: "Python" discussion

Postby Anpheus » Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:17 am UTC

floyd4one wrote:
Satertek wrote:At work tip: Python website is .org NOT .com. :shock:


wow... indeed.

also Whitespace is a favorite of mine.


As is usual with Wikipedia, I start finding esoteric shit.

I went from Whitespace to Polyglot... which contains this monstrosity.

Code: Select all

;; (*.) = {- *) let (@@) x y = x::y let e = [] let a = (*
(letrec ((a '(
; -} -- *)
 "                                                                " @@
 "  A polyglot quine in Haskell, OCaml, Scheme                    " @@
 "                                                                " @@
 "  runhugs this_file   # http://haskell.org/hugs/                " @@
 "  ocaml this_file     # http://caml.inria.fr/                   " @@
 "  scsh -s this_file   # http://scsh.net/                        " @@
 "                                                                " @@
 "  The author hereby grants permission to use, copy, modify,     " @@
 "  and distribute this software for any purpose.                 " @@
 "                                                                " @@
 "" @@
 ";; (*.) = {- *) let (@@) x y = x::y let e = [] let a = (*" @@
 "(letrec ((a '(" @@
 "; -} -- *)" @@
 "" @@
 " e" @@
 ";; (*:) = [\" \" ++ show x ++ \" @@\" | x<-( *.)]; main = {-" @@
 "; -} sequence_ (map putStrLn (x ++ ( *:) ++ y)); (x, _:y) = {-" @@
 "; -} span p (tail (dropWhile p ( *.))); p = (/= \"\"); infixr {-" @@
 "; -} @@; (@@) = (:); e = [] {- *) let rec s = function [] -> (*" @@
 "; *) [],[] | x::y -> if x = \"\" then [],y else let a,b = s y (*" @@
 "; *) in x::a,b let b,d = s (snd (s a)) let f = String.escaped (*" @@
 "; *) let c = List.map (fun x -> \" \\\"\" ^ f x ^ \"\\\" @@\") a" @@
 ";; List.iter (fun x -> print_endline x) (b @ c @ d) (*" @@
 ")) (f (lambda (x) (if (null? x) x (if (string? (car x)) (cons (" @@
 "car x) (f (cdr x))) (f (cdr x)))))) (g (lambda (x) (if (string=?" @@
 "\"\" (car x)) (cons '() (cdr x)) (let ((y (g (cdr x)))) (cons (" @@
 "cons (car x) (car y)) (cdr y)))))) (h (lambda (x) (if (null? x)" @@
 "#f (begin (display (car x)) (newline) (h (cdr x)))))) (i (lambda" @@
 "(x) (if (null? x) #f (begin (display \" \") (write (car x)) (" @@
 "display \" @@\") (newline) (i (cdr x))))))) (let ((b (g (cdr (g" @@
 "(f a)))))) (h (car b)) (i (f a)) (h (cdr b))))" @@
 "; -} -- *)" @@
 e
;; (*:) = [" " ++ show x ++ " @@" | x<-( *.)]; main = {-
; -} sequence_ (map putStrLn (x ++ ( *:) ++ y)); (x, _:y) = {-
; -} span p (tail (dropWhile p ( *.))); p = (/= ""); infixr {-
; -} @@; (@@) = (:); e = [] {- *) let rec s = function [] -> (*
; *) [],[] | x::y -> if x = "" then [],y else let a,b = s y (*
; *) in x::a,b let b,d = s (snd (s a)) let f = String.escaped (*
; *) let c = List.map (fun x -> " \"" ^ f x ^ "\" @@") a
;; List.iter (fun x -> print_endline x) (b @ c @ d) (*
)) (f (lambda (x) (if (null? x) x (if (string? (car x)) (cons (
car x) (f (cdr x))) (f (cdr x)))))) (g (lambda (x) (if (string=?
"" (car x)) (cons '() (cdr x)) (let ((y (g (cdr x)))) (cons (
cons (car x) (car y)) (cdr y)))))) (h (lambda (x) (if (null? x)
#f (begin (display (car x)) (newline) (h (cdr x)))))) (i (lambda
(x) (if (null? x) #f (begin (display " ") (write (car x)) (
display " @@") (newline) (i (cdr x))))))) (let ((b (g (cdr (g
(f a)))))) (h (car b)) (i (f a)) (h (cdr b))))
; -} -- *)



Holy fuck. Keep in mind, that's a quine for 3 different languages.
Spoiler:

Code: Select all

  /###\_________/###\
  |#################|
  \#################/
   |##┌         ┐##|
   |##  (¯`v´¯)  ##|
   |##  `\ ♥ /´  ##|
   |##   `\¸/´   ##|
   |##└         ┘##|
  /#################\
  |#################|
  \###/¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯\###/

tehmoth
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 3:40 pm UTC

Re: "Python" discussion

Postby tehmoth » Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:57 am UTC

borvise wrote:I really do love python.

If anyone is looking for an absolutely excellent example of python, check out Blender. It's by far the fastest 3D Modeling/Rendering/Editing/Animating/Game-Creating/PB&J-Making software I've tried out, it runs on any major operating system, and is ridiculously moddable. A happy man is he who is running a python program.


Do not confuse 'extensible by scripts written in' with 'written in', otherwise, wow, look at how many games are written in Lua. Its a bit like saying, hey for a really good example of Scheme, look at The Gimp.

tehmoth
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 3:40 pm UTC

Re: "Python" discussion

Postby tehmoth » Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:13 am UTC

++$_ wrote:Indeed. Who doesn't? (Well, maybe the people who developed Python don't, because they're religiously opposed to it.) Personally, I think @_ is a better idea than named arguments (although it would be nice to have both options).


Code: Select all

foo(one => 'a', two => 'b');
foo(two => 'x');

sub foo {
    my %parameters = (
      one => 'bar default',
      two => 'baz default',
      @_,
    );
    print "one $parameters{one} - two $parameters{two} \n";
}

keithc
Posts: 124
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:12 pm UTC
Contact:

Re: "Python" discussion

Postby keithc » Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:47 am UTC

DragonHawk wrote:Oh, boy, a programming language war on xkcd! This should be fun.

My favorite language is INTERCAL. Hey, it's Turing-complete.

If you want obscure, how about ook? Also Turing complete.

dweezil5932
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:48 am UTC

Re: "Python" discussion

Postby dweezil5932 » Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:51 am UTC

Long time reader, and I actually joined the forums just to say that I cited this comic in a paper that was due at midnight... one of the many strengths of Python...

tp
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:34 am UTC

Re: "Python" discussion

Postby tp » Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:56 am UTC

suso wrote:If you can write Frozen Bubble in Perl, you can probably do everything Python does.


You probably shouldn't use FB as an example. I peeked at the source code and had some trouble finding the Perl code. Then I realized that the program is one 220kB file containing over 5000 lines of mostly undocumented perl code. Heck, I used to write that kind of stuff with Turbo Pascal (the graphics were less flashy, though).

Puzzlemaker
Posts: 175
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2007 4:16 pm UTC
Location: Maryland, Silver Spring, USA

Re: "Python" discussion

Postby Puzzlemaker » Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:02 pm UTC

ColdWolf wrote:
Unforgiven wrote:
aeflash wrote:
galofdasouth wrote:But yeah, Python is for people who want to program but don't want to actually learn how to program. This is why I am able to use it. :-D

Actually, one thing that I see that I dont like about python is that it brings about a breed of programmers that don't need to understand computers.

That's rather elitist, and a far too common attitude. Why is programming without understanding computers a bad thing? As long as these guys don't write software for nuclear powerplants I don't see the problem.

Thank you so much. I'm a "casual" programmer myself (full-time designer) and I need tools that help me get cool stuff done quickly. Learning how to utilize every hertz, while not impossible, is simply a rather fruitless pursuit for someone in my position. And so, I love Python and it has helped me get the gist of programming in general, making it easier for me to learn ActionScript (Flash) and soon, Java (which I failed at--miserably--in college).

Seeing this comic made my week :mrgreen:


I must say I am somewhat elitist when it comes to learning how computers work, but that's probably because I have done a lot of work with hardware, and you sorta have to know that stuff. A byte can make a difference.

Anyway, easy programming languages are very fun.
RezardVareth wrote:Bad argumentation can be painful to answer, but responding with empty logic just perpetuates the cycle.

dishonorblade
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:57 am UTC

Re: "Python" discussion

Postby dishonorblade » Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:06 pm UTC

++$_ wrote:Indeed. Who doesn't? (Well, maybe the people who developed Python don't, because they're religiously opposed to it.) Personally, I think @_ is a better idea than named arguments (although it would be nice to have both options).


Python has both.

Code: Select all

>>> def Foo(*args, **kwargs):
>>>     print args
>>>     print kwargs
>>>
>>> Foo(1, 2, 3, bar=4, baz=5)
(1, 2, 3)
{'baz': 5, 'bar': 4}

zenten
Posts: 3799
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:42 am UTC
Location: Ottawa, Canada

Re: "Python" discussion

Postby zenten » Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:07 pm UTC

Puzzlemaker wrote:
ColdWolf wrote:
Unforgiven wrote:
aeflash wrote:
galofdasouth wrote:But yeah, Python is for people who want to program but don't want to actually learn how to program. This is why I am able to use it. :-D

Actually, one thing that I see that I dont like about python is that it brings about a breed of programmers that don't need to understand computers.

That's rather elitist, and a far too common attitude. Why is programming without understanding computers a bad thing? As long as these guys don't write software for nuclear powerplants I don't see the problem.

Thank you so much. I'm a "casual" programmer myself (full-time designer) and I need tools that help me get cool stuff done quickly. Learning how to utilize every hertz, while not impossible, is simply a rather fruitless pursuit for someone in my position. And so, I love Python and it has helped me get the gist of programming in general, making it easier for me to learn ActionScript (Flash) and soon, Java (which I failed at--miserably--in college).

Seeing this comic made my week :mrgreen:


I must say I am somewhat elitist when it comes to learning how computers work, but that's probably because I have done a lot of work with hardware, and you sorta have to know that stuff. A byte can make a difference.

Anyway, easy programming languages are very fun.


Usually it doesn't though. Even in embedded hardware.

User avatar
Skyl3lazer
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:13 pm UTC

Re: "Python" discussion

Postby Skyl3lazer » Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:08 pm UTC

NOOOOOOOOOOOO! PERL, DON'T LEAVE ME!

Puzzlemaker
Posts: 175
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2007 4:16 pm UTC
Location: Maryland, Silver Spring, USA

Re: "Python" discussion

Postby Puzzlemaker » Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:16 pm UTC

zenten wrote:
Puzzlemaker wrote:
ColdWolf wrote:
Unforgiven wrote:
aeflash wrote:
galofdasouth wrote:But yeah, Python is for people who want to program but don't want to actually learn how to program. This is why I am able to use it. :-D

Actually, one thing that I see that I dont like about python is that it brings about a breed of programmers that don't need to understand computers.

That's rather elitist, and a far too common attitude. Why is programming without understanding computers a bad thing? As long as these guys don't write software for nuclear powerplants I don't see the problem.

Thank you so much. I'm a "casual" programmer myself (full-time designer) and I need tools that help me get cool stuff done quickly. Learning how to utilize every hertz, while not impossible, is simply a rather fruitless pursuit for someone in my position. And so, I love Python and it has helped me get the gist of programming in general, making it easier for me to learn ActionScript (Flash) and soon, Java (which I failed at--miserably--in college).

Seeing this comic made my week :mrgreen:


I must say I am somewhat elitist when it comes to learning how computers work, but that's probably because I have done a lot of work with hardware, and you sorta have to know that stuff. A byte can make a difference.

Anyway, easy programming languages are very fun.


Usually it doesn't though. Even in embedded hardware.


Working with hardware "pods" that can have sensors hooked up to them and stream raw data out once the correct command is sent down. The pods themselves aren't that complex, and are used for testing things (Cars, tanks, etc.) Parsing the block of data flying out and sending down the right-sized commands can be painful, though, and does require knowledge of bytes.
Last edited by Puzzlemaker on Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:20 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
RezardVareth wrote:Bad argumentation can be painful to answer, but responding with empty logic just perpetuates the cycle.

DeadWisdom
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:59 am UTC

Re: "Python" discussion

Postby DeadWisdom » Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:17 pm UTC

Huzzah! Welcome to the wonderful world of Python. We hope you enjoy your stay. In the Language Wars of programming, Python is the little green master.

I also suggest Django as an introduction to the best in modern web development. Open your eyes to templates that inherit from each-other, and regular expressions to map urls to functionality!

[ICR]
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:10 pm UTC

Re: "Python" discussion

Postby [ICR] » Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:19 pm UTC

One of the things I like about Python over Ruby is the explicitness, it kinda counter-acts the iffyness about dynamic typing. From the little I've done I get the impression that it can get very easy to get confused with Ruby code if you're not careful. Though it does make Ruby great for DSL's (while I'm not a huge fan of DSL's in the wider domain such as Ruby on Rails style they are useful sometimes).

My biggest problem with Python is poor naming consistency in the core libraries.
I'm a sucker for naming conventions, and using the right naming convention for the language I am using. However, Pythons core libraries are such a mess in this regards there's precious little to go on. They have crafted some bastardised guidelines out if it, which are very confusing and difficult to follow. Python 3 will rename the core libraries to be more consistent with...the bastardised guidelines. I do wish they would scrap those, go the whole hog and give us a simpler scheme.

If you're going to go with Python for anything vaguely serious, you'd better get with test first driven development, and make your tests damn good. Otherwise the dynamic typing and lack of compilation phase will come back to bite you. But if you do good tests, you'll be fine.

pytechd
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:08 pm UTC

Re: "Python" discussion

Postby pytechd » Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:38 pm UTC

Rock on, Python. All of our systems are written in Python (specifically with the Django framework). It's wonderful. PHP and its multitude of security flaws be damned. It FORCES you to indent and write somewhat readable code.

Just a hint to college students: we just hired a new python developer. Because Pythonists are generally in short supply, we had to go about 63% higher than a salary if we were hiring someone for Java. I was glad to pay it because I know the productivity potential of Python first hand.

ogopogo
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:28 pm UTC

Re: "Python" discussion

Postby ogopogo » Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:48 pm UTC

Ok, had to register to put in my 2 cents here.

[ICR] is right about the naming conventions of some of the core libraries. For example, look at the datetime module. I mean, datetime.datetime.now()? kinda silly. It is worth mentioning that python does go through and actually remove modules and change things when it makes sense to.

I didn't like perl because there would be 50 different libraries to accomplish the same means. With Python, if there is a 3rd party library that is stable enough, and there is a demand for it, they bring it into the core package. They did this with the mysql library in 2.5, if I remember right.

I use python for all my admin scripts, and it works out really well. I can't say that I have done anything that is a heavy-use application though.

A few things I've come across:
The win32 libraries will let you access AD objects, among other things
Theres pycurl if you need it. I used it for SFTP access
SNMP (via pysnmp) never did work out the way I wanted it. Got kinda crazy
USPP Library is the best thing I was able to find for serial port communication.
XML implementation can be kinda iffy. Its been a while since I tried to use it though.
http://www.adams1.com/pub/russadam/128code.html is a pretty nice code128 barcode library
ReportLab makes a pdf library, which is pretty interesting.

Last, and certainly not least, is DJango. I've found DJango does an awesome job for building up db-backed apps fairly quickly (OO db access is fun). The only thing I don't care for is their templating engine.

I suppose if you want to get really technical and crazy with python, theres Plone. But there is an awfully steep learning curve on that one and I haven't been able to justify the time for it yet.

- Ogo

Deviant
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri May 18, 2007 1:37 pm UTC

Re: "Python" discussion

Postby Deviant » Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:54 pm UTC

Python is such a nice language. I learnt it around 6 month ago, and it is now my go to language. Libs for everything you could want, not 'great' syntax but good enough. Its just a nice language to work with.

Rakshasa
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:12 pm UTC

Re: "Python" discussion

Postby Rakshasa » Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:03 pm UTC

top1214 wrote:By no means am I a programmer. I'm just a biologist who knows how to program a little. I got into it a little bit doing research over the summer and needing perl. This convinced me to take the "hard" intro to programming (C++). I almost laughed in class when we were shown the 7 or so lines to print "Hello, world" that takes the shebang and one line in perl. Long and boring story short, I learned to program in C++ and appreciate perl.

You laughed because you never wrote a program longer than 7 lines.

pytechd
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:08 pm UTC

Re: "Python" discussion

Postby pytechd » Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:22 pm UTC

ogopogo wrote:They did this with the mysql library in 2.5, if I remember right.


Actually was SQLite. MySQLdb is still a third-party module, thankfully. Most core modules do not have third-party header requirements. Linking against MySQL would require MySQL to be installed and then you start running into the problems that PHP has (where every module has a third party requirement).

ogopogo wrote:Last, and certainly not least, is DJango. I've found DJango does an awesome job for building up db-backed apps fairly quickly (OO db access is fun). The only thing I don't care for is their templating engine.


You can always swap it out. You will lose out on some Django shortcuts, but it's all just Python... I know a few guys that use Genshi instead.

bannahammock
Posts: 28
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:24 pm UTC

Re: "Python" discussion

Postby bannahammock » Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:29 pm UTC

I wanna see the 20 codes that he wrote
heh
who needs python when u have msword ...
I like naming documents things like my secret diary, and watching kids at school open them
i like playin with echo commands

tgape
Posts: 62
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:18 pm UTC

Exception handling

Postby tgape » Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:34 pm UTC

I notice nobody's mentioned Python's pathetic default exception handling.

I mean, it's great for the programmer - any uncaught exception explains to the programmer exactly what went wrong. However, once it leaves the programmer's hands, with all of the exceptions the programmer either didn't find out about due to being in the programmer zone, or didn't care to fix, the feature becomes an albatross - no user wants to deal with a stack trace just because they didn't read the programmer's mind on how to interact with the program.

For what it's worth, Java has the same issue. And, btw, you can tell Perl to do the same thing while you're developing, but ship it in the normal, "attempt to do the right thing for unhandled exceptions" mode.

User avatar
BiggAl
Posts: 45
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:04 pm UTC

Re: "Python" discussion

Postby BiggAl » Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:40 pm UTC

This is the sort of thing your SQA team should pick up on and bounce back to you. Even for a small project you should let a few people play with your product and try to break it.

UltramaticOrange
Posts: 45
Joined: Wed May 30, 2007 3:31 am UTC
Contact:

Re: "Python" discussion

Postby UltramaticOrange » Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:47 pm UTC

Oh give me a break! LOLCODE is so much better than python.

Seriously, though, every time I try to dive into phython I get annoyed that I can't put my indentations exactly where I want them. I'm very picky about that stuff. When I need a script to do something, I generally write a bash script that calls other intrepreted languages. I think I might still have one that uses PHP and Perl (for different strengths) in the same file.
Image

Leliel
Posts: 43
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:31 pm UTC

Re: "Python" discussion

Postby Leliel » Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:07 pm UTC

woot, python on XKCD!

I <3 python, but I could be biased because I went from using PERL to using 2 obscure proprietary half-languages (don't ask), to Python. And it was like the clouds had broken and the sun was able to shine down again.

Or maybe it was all the monty python references in all the sample code... ;)

tehmoth
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 3:40 pm UTC

Re: "Python" discussion

Postby tehmoth » Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:12 pm UTC

UltramaticOrange wrote:Seriously, though, every time I try to dive into phython I get annoyed that I can't put my indentations exactly where I want them. I'm very picky about that stuff. When I need a script to do something, I generally write a bash script that calls other intrepreted languages. I think I might still have one that uses PHP and Perl (for different strengths) in the same file.


so you didn't write a (ba)?sh script that created a perl script that used a combination of the PHP::Interpreter, Inline::C, Inline::Lua and SuperPython packages?

tehmoth
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 3:40 pm UTC

Re: "Python" discussion

Postby tehmoth » Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:16 pm UTC

Leliel wrote:I <3 python, but I could be biased because I went from using PERL

Perl is the language, perl the interpreter, there is no PERL


Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: mscha, Uristqwerty and 75 guests