0355: "Couple"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

thethirdmoose

0355: "Couple"

Postby thethirdmoose » Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:13 am UTC

Image4
Alt Text: Facebook defines relationships. 'Yeah, we would have broken up last night, but the net connection was down.'

http://xkcd.com/355/

Looks like General Error is here to mess with me :(
EDIT: Looks like General Error sent out the Triple Post Troops...
And, now that I can finally see the comic, I can't actually ever see this happening to me (unlike most of Randall's comics).
I mean, who really wants "It's complicated" anyways?
Last edited by thethirdmoose on Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:17 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

athelas
A Sophisticated Plagiarism Engine

Re: "Couple" discussion

Postby athelas » Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:15 am UTC

I never understood the point of "It's complicated," except as humor. If it's un-awkward enough for you to agree to put "it's complicated" on facebook, it should be un-awkward enough for you to uncomplicate it in real life.

1337geek

Postby 1337geek » Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:19 am UTC

Sad, but true.
"Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together." --Carl Zwanzig

SomethingWitty

Postby SomethingWitty » Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:20 am UTC

athelas wrote:I never understood the point of "It's complicated," except as humor. If it's un-awkward enough for you to agree to put "it's complicated" on facebook, it should be un-awkward enough for you to uncomplicate it in real life.

true story
not all who wander are lost

lone_wolf

Postby lone_wolf » Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:21 am UTC

I never got what "it's complicated" meant on facebook? Anyone care to explain.

Eleyras

Postby Eleyras » Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:21 am UTC

I was someone's it's complicated once, then his girlfriend.

We broke up.
At some point, I will remember to sig quotes I find amusing or something.

...once I stop laughing.

GodShapedBullet

Postby GodShapedBullet » Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:22 am UTC

I've asked someone this.
Last edited by GodShapedBullet on Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:22 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

TheHalfBakery

Postby TheHalfBakery » Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:22 am UTC

I gotta say, I really liked this one.

athelas - I've never used it, but I mostly see It's complicated for people in long distance relationships, or relationships where they are torn to be with each other or not for different reasons (but are usually sleeping together regardless), or more often, in the process of a breakup where they're trying to work thing out (but never do).

aerojad
Wall O' AWESOME

Postby aerojad » Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:23 am UTC

brilliant

Vandole

Postby Vandole » Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:23 am UTC

I think it's fairly naïve to assume that the full breadth of relationships can be covered by the relationship statuses on a site like facebook, unless they have extremely robust settings. So unless there's options like "best friends that get drunk and have sex but don't want to be friends with benefits and aren't looking for a relationship" then "It's complicated" is probably the best way to say it.
Vandole wants you to read An Intimate History of the Greater Kingdom (NSFW text).
Oh, I'm no end table. I'm a nightstand.
Gelsamel wrote:Don't ever sig me..... ever.

EtzHadaat

Postby EtzHadaat » Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:24 am UTC

Athelas- It should mean you're behaving as if you're in a relationship in some aspects but not all aspects and are uncomfortable stating that you're in a relationship because of the missing aspects, I think.

I was friends with a couple, and it was kind of a long distance relationship, and he started having doubts about the relationship and changed it to "It's complicated" without asking her or discussing it with her. She was pretty pissed.
Last edited by EtzHadaat on Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:32 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

saxmaniac1987
Can't spell sex

Postby saxmaniac1987 » Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:25 am UTC

Did anyone notice that Facebook changed the way pictures load so that its almost instant?

On topic, I've been through the ritual with a girl of both going onto our facebooks and changing our relationship status together. How adorable.
"A witty saying proves nothing" - Voltaire

btilly

Postby btilly » Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:35 am UTC

lone_wolf wrote:I never got what "it's complicated" meant on facebook? Anyone care to explain.

It means "other".

For instance suppose you're married, but you're in the middle of a divorce, and you have a girlfriend. What other description fits?

For instance suppose that you're single but are in a serious affair with someone married. What other description fits?

For instance suppose you're single but there are three people you're trying to decide between, and you haven't really decided which one to become serious with. What other description fits?

For instance suppose you're gay but you're strongly against homosexuality so you're fighting it. However you've had a few encounters that you're really guilty about. What other description fits?

(And yes, I've known people in each of these situations.)
Some of us exist to find out what can and can't be done.

Others exist to hold the beer.

narg

Postby narg » Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:39 am UTC

The power of Facebook in deciding relationships is true. For a long time, my girlfriend and I were on unclear terms of what exactly was going on, but then I changed the status to 'in a relationship with' (after prodding from a mutual friend), and it became official.

After all, if Facebook says it, it must be true!

thethirdmoose

Postby thethirdmoose » Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:41 am UTC

btilly wrote:For instance suppose you're married, but you're in the middle of a divorce, and you have a girlfriend. What other description fits?

"In a relationship with..."
btilly wrote:For instance suppose that you're single but are in a serious affair with someone married. What other description fits?

Err... I'm not sure you want to put this on facebook :roll:
btilly wrote:For instance suppose you're single but there are three people you're trying to decide between, and you haven't really decided which one to become serious with. What other description fits?

Neither. In any event, you can only be in a relationship/complicated/married/etc to one person on facebook
btilly wrote:
For instance suppose you're gay but you're strongly against homosexuality so you're fighting it. However you've had a few encounters that you're really guilty about. What other description fits?

Again, if you are so against it, why are you putting it on facebook? If you are, be honest!
[quote="btilly"]

SimonSwift

Postby SimonSwift » Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:45 am UTC

To be honest, I've been in an "it's complicated" relationship before. It's when you're not technically going out, but you have something going on romantically. My deal was that my girlfriend and I had just broken up, but we still had feelings for each other, and we were still sometimes going on dates and all that stuff. I never used the "it's complicated" thing on Facebook, to be honest, but it totally would make sense. I guess.

~Siswi
P.S. I hate you.
P.P.S. Apologies for the verbosity.
--------------------
This delightful post brought to you by Simon Swift.
Simon Swift: The new not-Simon Swift.

bprime

Postby bprime » Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:51 am UTC

I'm technically in an "It's complicated" relationship on Facebook.

Except that she says she's "Married" on Facebook.

No, she's not really married. And I'm still single at the end of the day.

acydlord

Postby acydlord » Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:02 am UTC

Maybe it's for the dorks like me, where the girl always wants to be just friends but can't make up her mind and the dudes like me are left wondering wtf it is.

Patren

Postby Patren » Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:03 am UTC

I was in an it's complicated relationship once on facebook, this is how it happened.

My roommate and I decided to say that we were in a relationship on facebook because a random roommate was assigned to our apartment, and from his facebook we judged that we wouldn't get along well, and he had the airs of one who'd be offended by a homosexual relation so we thought it'd scare him off. When he was setting it up, and trying to fill out the forms his girlfriend took over and made it complicated.

So now we have a running joke that we would have been a couple if his girlfriend hadn't complicated the situation.

b.i.o
Green is the loneliest number

Postby b.i.o » Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:05 am UTC

I lol'd.

I think the easiest way for me to describe what I take "it's complicated" to mean is that the relationship isn't clearly defined.

suzi

Postby suzi » Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:12 am UTC

I had a boyfriend who moved us from "In a relationship" to just plain "single," and even though we had already had the big break-up drama, that unfortunately was the "oh shit, it's real" signal.

His status was "is feeling like shit."

sterces48

Postby sterces48 » Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:21 am UTC

If all I can see is most of the alt text with "..." at the end, how do I see the rest without searching the forums?

bluebambue
An der schönen blauen Donau

Postby bluebambue » Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:31 am UTC

This is my favorite of his recent comics.

I think "It's complicated" is a valid state for a relationship to be in (though preferably not for long.)

netsplit
Location: Z̈̓̾̾̀̉ͬ̅ͯͪͬ̚͢͏̴̝̝̩̳͙͘a̷̧̰̥̯͎͍͍̻̮͔̭̰̗̺̩̐̀͛͐ͥ͐ͨ͆̀̉̐̌̅͑ͣ͟ͅľ̸̠̟̭̲̜̹̗͎͍̗̤͖̤͕̣̝̀̊̑ͯͬ͌̍ͬ͂ͤ͛̀̚g̍̅́ͮ̌̏ͣ́̀͏͍

Postby netsplit » Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:35 am UTC

sterces48 wrote:If all I can see is most of the alt text with "..." at the end, how do I see the rest without searching the forums?

In firefox right click on the image, and click properties. Then drag the corner out so the box is big enough to read the alt text.

In IE, first you have to sacrifice a goat to ballmer....

Edit to add: this comic was funny, but it'd be more funnier if they were having sex while having this discussion.
from da craddle to da grave, geek life 4 eva
better show hardcore respect ya'll

JayDee wrote:"What is the difference between erotic and kinky? Erotic is using a feather. Kinky is using the whole Dinosaur."

WebcomicReader

Postby WebcomicReader » Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:38 am UTC

I laughed and showed a couple of my buds this one because I just fell into this situation over the weekend. Doing the "It's Complicated" thing though is foolish really, I just don't have a relationship status. If you leave it blank it disappears. Better off that way so prospecting Facebook girls or that girl you're being "complicated" with aren't put off.

aleflamedyud
wants your cookies

Postby aleflamedyud » Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:42 am UTC

For instance suppose that you're single but are in a serious affair with someone married. What other description fits?

Adulterer.
"With kindness comes naïveté. Courage becomes foolhardiness. And dedication has no reward. If you can't accept any of that, you are not fit to be a graduate student."

Tobes00

Postby Tobes00 » Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:47 am UTC

aleflamedyud wrote:

Adulterer.

*zing*

Incidentally, am I the only person left in the world who doesn't actually have a facebook?

MHZmaster

Postby MHZmaster » Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:47 am UTC

This comic is everything wonderful that is facebook.
I especially love the little heart under stick guy's arm.

Yliatas

Postby Yliatas » Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:50 am UTC

Sometimes I think people who use "it's complicated" just want attention on facebook. But that might just be my friends. I asked a few on occasion what they meant by it and they just shrugged and said it looked better than "single" or "in a relationship."

Surgery

Postby Surgery » Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:50 am UTC

netsplit wrote:
sterces48 wrote:If all I can see is most of the alt text with "..." at the end, how do I see the rest without searching the forums?

In firefox right click on the image, and click properties. Then drag the corner out so the box is big enough to read the alt text.

In IE, first you have to sacrifice a goat to ballmer....

Edit to add: this comic was funny, but it'd be more funnier if they were having sex while having this discussion.

or just download the LongTitles extension for FireFox.

And ... I was under the impression they had just finished coitus in the comic, or at least taken a pause. I don't really identify with this comic, but it does indeed do a good job of satirizing the way facebook has kind of become the definitive source of truth for social life. Scary.

btilly

Postby btilly » Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:57 am UTC

aleflamedyud wrote:

Adulterer.

I meant "of the options that Facebook gives you." Which are, Single, In a Relationship, In an Open Relationship, Engaged, Married, and It's Complicated. The situation that I described doesn't fit any of those categories except the last.
Some of us exist to find out what can and can't be done.

Others exist to hold the beer.

Prof. of Slackademia

Postby Prof. of Slackademia » Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:02 am UTC

acydlord wrote:Maybe it's for the dorks like me, where the girl always wants to be just friends but can't make up her mind and the dudes like me are left wondering wtf it is.

Hey, that sounds like me...

I really hope it's not for that, because in that case I have underused it.

Kidding, of course - I still won't use it no matter what. I think the only good reason is, as stated, for transition purposes. And even then it's strange. I guess there is merit to it, but it should be rarely used (and it isn't).

Tobes00 wrote:*zing*
Incidentally, am I the only person left in the world who doesn't actually have a facebook?

This reminded me incredibly of "Scrubs", between the zing and incidentally. I dunno if you meant it or not, but it made me laugh.

netsplit
Location: Z̈̓̾̾̀̉ͬ̅ͯͪͬ̚͢͏̴̝̝̩̳͙͘a̷̧̰̥̯͎͍͍̻̮͔̭̰̗̺̩̐̀͛͐ͥ͐ͨ͆̀̉̐̌̅͑ͣ͟ͅľ̸̠̟̭̲̜̹̗͎͍̗̤͖̤͕̣̝̀̊̑ͯͬ͌̍ͬ͂ͤ͛̀̚g̍̅́ͮ̌̏ͣ́̀͏͍

Postby netsplit » Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:05 am UTC

Surgery wrote:And ... I was under the impression they had just finished coitus in the comic, or at least taken a pause.

It's funnier if it's during. Alot of things are. Take this scenario:

guy:honey have you seen the tv remote?
chick: it's whatever you did with it dear
guy:nvm I found it.

Now compare it to this one:

*chick wearing nothing but chaps straddles man in nothing but cowboy hat*
guy:honey have you seen the tv remote?
chick: it's whatever you did with it dear
guy:nvm I found it.
*guy pulls remote out of chick's vagina*

See what I mean?

Also the extension sounds handy! Ima look for it.
Last edited by netsplit on Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:06 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
from da craddle to da grave, geek life 4 eva
better show hardcore respect ya'll

JayDee wrote:"What is the difference between erotic and kinky? Erotic is using a feather. Kinky is using the whole Dinosaur."

nknezek

Postby nknezek » Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:06 am UTC

Maybe I'm just a hopeless romantic, but does anyone else see the heart in that's formed between the blankets and the guy's arm in the last panel?

It almost makes me feel bad for the guy, as if he's offering his love to her and she's refusing it.

woooo *scary voice*
Subliminal messaging.
Everyone wants to know the answer, even if it's not the right answer.

Trella

Postby Trella » Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:06 am UTC

You can do "it's complicated" without specifying a person with whom it is complicated. So you could just be "it's complicated" because you have feelings for someone and don't want others to think you're available but you're not with that person. Or perhaps you're in the beginning of a relationship and dont' know if you're serious yet and don't want to ask the other person so you put that but don't assign a person.

Most "it's complicated" postings that I've seen didn't have the other person named, which seems to make a lot of sense to me.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:08 am UTC

Ugh, if you don't know me well enough to know who I'm dating, why do I want you informed if you've facebook stalked me?
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

dataxpress

Postby dataxpress » Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:10 am UTC

Silver2Falcon wrote:I lol'd.

I think the easiest way for me to describe what I take "it's complicated" to mean is that the relationship isn't clearly defined.

edit: i was mean.
Last edited by dataxpress on Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:12 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
I recommend filling soccer balls with napalm. Napalm is nature's toothpaste.

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:12 am UTC

Tobes00 wrote:Incidentally, am I the only person left in the world who doesn't actually have a facebook?

Nope. I don't have one either, nor a myspace. They both make me sick.

Well, thats not entirely true, I had a facebook for about a day, then noticed it was utterly useless and just a myspace clone for people who don't like myspace, and deleted it.

Surgery

Postby Surgery » Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:12 am UTC

netsplit wrote:Also the extension sounds handy! Ima look for it.

well, i'll admit that that indeed becomes more amusing if said by someone having sex.

Prof. of Slackademia

Postby Prof. of Slackademia » Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:14 am UTC

dataxpress wrote:
edit: i was mean.

Haha yeah, but hey, it was funny. Sometimes things have to be sacrificed for comedy. Not that I'm heartless.

And yes, that IS a heart in his legs. DEFINITELY subliminal messaging.

And who knows, maybe Randall just really wants to ask this girl out and can't and wishes he could ask question.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”