0356: "Nerd Sniping"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Zalde Ocga
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:41 am UTC

Re: 0356: "Nerd Sniping"

Postby Zalde Ocga » Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:04 am UTC

I have friends that read xkcd and since they found this particular one I've seen papers that have confusing problems on them... I think I'm being conspired against... :(
This IS my other signature

mclemme
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:27 pm UTC

Re: 0356: "Nerd Sniping"

Postby mclemme » Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:32 pm UTC

Made a nerd sniping ripoff for my hobby webcomic when I was bored the other night:
http://brajn.org/comic/qr-code-sniping

Thanks for the inspiration! :)

User avatar
addams
Posts: 10331
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:44 am UTC
Location: Oregon Coast: 97444

Re: 0356: "Nerd Sniping"

Postby addams » Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:11 am UTC

I got nerd sniped.
I want to tell the story.

I was a Yucca Mountain Information Center with a friend.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yucca_Moun ... repository

There is a great deal of information there. I was reading what I could. My friend was reading the math. It was hard for him. Some of it took him a while. Most of it was so far over my head that I did not need to duck.

Then, it happened. We walked around a corner together. There it was. A pedestal with a bowl on top. One nice bowl that was placed so that the labels could be read by a person that walks around that corner.

SPENT NUCLEAR FUEL ROD

We both stopped, dead in our tracks. There were some seconds that went by. Twenty seconds. "We are dead." Was said.
I don't know who said it. It could have been either one of us.

I moved first. I knew if that shit was real, then, we were dead. I wanted to look at it.

I walked over to the bowl, picked one up and said, "It's light."

He said, "It's light?"

"Yep.'' I lifted it to show him.

He ran over to that bowl. It was so funny.
I wonder; Do they have a camera on that bowl? How long different people stay frozen would be interesting.
The audio would be fun too. "Look Ma! They are giving away Fuel Rods!"

Do people ever read the label and run away? That is funny. Do they think that they have been exposed?

What I do know is they 'GOT' us. We were two Nerds that were down.

It was, just, too fucking interesting for about twenty seconds or so.

I know that this post may ruin the fun for those guys. The number of people that will go to Yucca Mountain, that also read this comic? That overlap may be quite high. Hey! If, the guys that did that practical joke read this comic, then; You Got Us!

We laughed a lot. That was one of the funniest things we saw on that Road Trip. We saw a great many funny things. That bowl of spent nuclear fuel rods was the funniest.

We talked about tourists as a fix for the fuel rod problem. It gave us something to think about for a while. Human nature being what it is. It might work.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

webgrunt
Posts: 130
Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:04 pm UTC

Re: 0356: "Nerd Sniping"

Postby webgrunt » Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:12 pm UTC

addams wrote:I got nerd sniped.
I want to tell the story.

I was a Yucca Mountain Information Center with a friend.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yucca_Moun ... repository

There is a great deal of information there. I was reading what I could. My friend was reading the math. It was hard for him. Some of it took him a while. Most of it was so far over my head that I did not need to duck.

Then, it happened. We walked around a corner together. There it was. A pedestal with a bowl on top. One nice bowl that was placed so that the labels could be read by a person that walks around that corner.

SPENT NUCLEAR FUEL ROD

We both stopped, dead in our tracks. There were some seconds that went by. Twenty seconds. "We are dead." Was said.
I don't know who said it. It could have been either one of us.

I moved first. I knew if that shit was real, then, we were dead. I wanted to look at it.

I walked over to the bowl, picked one up and said, "It's light."

He said, "It's light?"

"Yep.'' I lifted it to show him.


Excellent!

I've got a bucking bar made of 95% tungsten, 5% nickel. It's a section of rod about 2 to 2.5 inches in diameter and about the same length. I have no use for a bucking bar, I got it to show people because it's so unexpectedly dense it's fun to handle. I'd prefer iridium or even platinum, but I can't afford five pounds of either of those substances.

It's clearly a section of a rod, though. I wonder if I could get anyone to believe it's part of a spent nuclear fuel rod. I suppose it might help if I warm it up to around 120 F first, just for effect. "I lucked out, it's not quite fully spent!"

User avatar
addams
Posts: 10331
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:44 am UTC
Location: Oregon Coast: 97444

Re: 0356: "Nerd Sniping"

Postby addams » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:05 am UTC

webgrunt wrote:
addams wrote:I got nerd sniped.
I want to tell the story.

I was a Yucca Mountain Information Center with a friend.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yucca_Moun ... repository

There is a great deal of information there. I was reading what I could. My friend was reading the math. It was hard for him. Some of it took him a while. Most of it was so far over my head that I did not need to duck.

Then, it happened. We walked around a corner together. There it was. A pedestal with a bowl on top. One nice bowl that was placed so that the labels could be read by a person that walks around that corner.

SPENT NUCLEAR FUEL ROD

We both stopped, dead in our tracks. There were some seconds that went by. Twenty seconds. "We are dead." Was said.
I don't know who said it. It could have been either one of us.

I moved first. I knew if that shit was real, then, we were dead. I wanted to look at it.

I walked over to the bowl, picked one up and said, "It's light."

He said, "It's light?"

"Yep.'' I lifted it to show him.


Excellent!

I've got a bucking bar made of 95% tungsten, 5% nickel. It's a section of rod about 2 to 2.5 inches in diameter and about the same length. I have no use for a bucking bar, I got it to show people because it's so unexpectedly dense it's fun to handle. I'd prefer iridium or even platinum, but I can't afford five pounds of either of those substances.

It's clearly a section of a rod, though. I wonder if I could get anyone to believe it's part of a spent nuclear fuel rod. I suppose it might help if I warm it up to around 120 F first, just for effect. "I lucked out, it's not quite fully spent!"

What fun! I would like to see your bucking bar. I like that sort of thing.
Yes. For persons that know about the heat then warming it up would help the practical joke. It makes a great practical joke.
When I was a young person, humans were still working on what radioactive materials were. There was Uranium being mined in Eastern California. I held some. I did not hold it long. There were adults teasing me.
I was asked what I thought it was. I said, "It is a rock that has been in the sun." The men laughed at me. The rock felt like a rock that has been in the sun. It really is warm to the touch.
I would love to help you with your practical joke. You have a small problem. If, the audience knows nothing about nuclear physics, then, the joke will fail. You may need to educate your audience a little. Tell a friend or co worker that has never seen your bar that you must study physics. Show them some facts. Wiki is good for that kind of thing.
Then, What? Once your audience knows a little something. Then, What?
Oh me yarm. You could tease the security people at the local airport. They might take your bar. Don't bother if you are in Canada.

I had a flute in a pcv pipe. It looked like it could be a makeshift bomb. The Americans were on me when I walked into the ticket counter. In Canada no one gave me or my pipe bomb a second look.

How could you go Nerd Sniping with your very heavy bar? There has 'got' to be a way. It would have to be warm, if, you want to 'get' people in physics departments. Who could you 'get'?

Your spouse would be my first guess. But, your spouse has already seen you bar. Both of them. So, you need someone else.

That year that I knew the Chemist, I got 'got' several times. He was fun. Of course, a bunch of it was scary. He would 'get' me with a scary fact. Then, I would 'get' him with a natural wonder. He was running out of scary facts. I still had natural wonders to spare.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

levantis
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:42 pm UTC

Re: 0356: "Nerd Sniping"

Postby levantis » Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:52 pm UTC

Ok, this is waaay old, but still, just for those who wish to experiment and don`t have a master`s education:
the answer for a 49-element grid is 0.774 382 +- 0.000 047. And here`s the code:
Spoiler:
Clear[smallRectEq, meshEq, eq, sreqs, meqs, eqsys, potential, \
potentials, solution, currents]

smallRectEq[x_, y_] :=

i[x, y, x + 1, y] + i[x + 1, y, x + 1, y + 1] - i[x, y, x, y + 1] -
i[x, y + 1, x + 1, y + 1] == 0

meshEq[x_, y_, size_, source_] :=

If[x > 1, i[x - 1, y, x, y], 0] + If[y > 1, i[x, y - 1, x, y], 0] -
If[x < size, i[x, y, x + 1, y], 0] -
If[y < size, i[x, y, x, y + 1], 0] + source == 0

eq[x1_, y1_, x2_, y2_] := If[And[x1 < x2, y1 <= y2], Sum[
i[x, y1, x + 1, y1]
, {x, x1, x2 - 1}] + Sum[
i[x2, y, x2, y + 1]
, {y, y1, y2 - 1}] == 1
, 1 == 0]

sreqs[size_, x1_, y1_, x2_, y2_] := Flatten[Table[
smallRectEq[x, y],
{x, 1, size - 1},
{y, 1, size - 1}
], 2]

meqs[size_, x1_, y1_, x2_, y2_] := Flatten[Table[
If[
{x, y} == {x1, y1},
meshEq[x, y, size, i],
If[
{x, y} == {x2, y2},
meshEq[x, y, size, -i],
meshEq[x, y, size, 0]
]
],
{x, 1, size}, {y, 1, size}], 2]

eqsys[size_, x1_, y1_, x2_, y2_] := Flatten[Join[
Table[smallRectEq[x, y], {x, 1, size - 1}, {y, 1, size - 1}],
Table[
If[
{x, y} == {x1, y1},
meshEq[x, y, size, i],
If[
{x, y} == {x2, y2},
meshEq[x, y, size, -i],
meshEq[x, y, size, 0]
]
], {x, 1, size}, {y, 1, size}],
{{eq[x1, y1, x2, y2]}}
], 2]

varsys[size_] := Flatten[Join[
Table[i[x, y, x + 1, y], {x, 1, size - 1}, {y, 1, size}],
Table[i[x, y, x, y + 1], {x, 1, size}, {y, 1, size - 1}],
{{i}}
], 2]

currents[size_, x1_, y1_, x2_, y2_] :=
Solve[eqsys[size, x1, y1, x2, y2], varsys[size]][[1]]
potential[x, y] :=
If[y == 1, If[x == 1, 1, potential[x - 1, 1] - i[x - 1, 1, x, 1]],
potential[x, y - 1] - i[x, y - 1, x, y]]
potentials[size_, x1_, y1_, x2_, y2_] :=
Table[potential[x, y], {x, 1, 5}, {y, 1, 5}] /.
currents[size, x1, y1, x2, y2] // MatrixForm
solution[size_, x1_, y1_, x2_, y2_] :=
N[{1/i /. currents[size, x1, y1, x2, y2],
potentials[size, x1, y1, x2, y2]}]


It uses Kirchoff`s equations and some coffee that I drank.

MichaelKarnerfors
Posts: 94
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:30 am UTC
Location: Sweden
Contact:

Re: 0356: "Nerd Sniping"

Postby MichaelKarnerfors » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:55 am UTC

Once I came accross this total moron... that I in retrospect found was in fact brilliant, because he had turned nerd sniping into a money making venture.

What he did was to say something to the effect of "If you cross a street many times, and you havn't gotten hit by a car so far, the risk that you will get hit by a car increases every time you cross". Basicly he said that independent random events were dependent, and not only that: he posted it on a skeptics' forum.

*BOOM* Headshot...

The nerds went berserk and flooded his blog with comments about what an idiot he was; dozens of explanatory examples showing why independent random events do not magically affect eachother; scans of the standard mathametical statistics textbook for swedish universities (he had quoted that one); a simulation program showing empirically that he was wrong (I did that one); post after post after post... upon which he simply replied "No, you're wrong, I'm right" and just kept holding his position like a textbook Dunning-Kruger victim.

I was about to declare him as living proof that you can survive a dual hemispherectomy... but then I noticed the utter brilliance of his scheme: he had get-paid-for-page-views ads on his blog.

It was genius!! His setup was so simple:

1) Get a blog.
2) Put ads on it.
3) Go nerd sniping (or maybe it's more accurate to call it nerd-baiting / nerd-trolling).
4) Profit!!!

Sheer brilliance.

/Michael

strokebow
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:27 am UTC

Re: "Nerd Sniping" Discussion

Postby strokebow » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:33 am UTC

CNLohr wrote:I was fairly satisfied with my results. So, I plopped in the coordinates for the Knight's move, and ran the test automatically on a variety of number of resistors. A couple results from the middle are as follows:
Spoiler:
4x4 grid (32 resistors): .9955357 ohms
15x15 grid (450 resistors): .7856096 ohms
40x40 grid (3,200 resistors): .7749523 ohms
120x120 grid (28,800 resistors): .7734296 ohms
weighing in at around 514MB memory used, and 66 minutes run time, 320x320 grid (231,200): .7732632 ohms


So, if anyone is interested in a numerical system for solving arbitrary check points and arbitrary sizes for the field of resistors, feel free to check out my code.

http://userpages.umbc.edu/~lohr1/xkcdresistor/


How do you manage to get 32 resistor in a 4 by 4 grid
and 450 resistors in a 15 by 15 grid????

Surely in a 4 by 4 grid you would have 32 resistors???? anyone?

User avatar
BlackHatSupport
Posts: 38
Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:34 pm UTC
Location: Wherever you aren't.

Re: "Nerd Sniping" Discussion

Postby BlackHatSupport » Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:20 pm UTC

I've made myself a sign.

How did the orbital velocity of the moon effect Apollo 13's lauch?



It's simple (ish) but it works quite well. 10 points so far.
Avenger_7 wrote:You are entitled to your opinion though. Even though it's wrong.

User avatar
philsov
Not a fan of Diane Kruger
Posts: 1350
Joined: Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:58 pm UTC
Location: Texas

Re: 0356: "Nerd Sniping"

Postby philsov » Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:43 pm UTC

is it meta sniping when they correct you that it should be "affected"?
The time and seasons go on, but all the rhymes and reasons are wrong
I know I'll discover after its all said and done I should've been a nun.

User avatar
BlackHatSupport
Posts: 38
Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:34 pm UTC
Location: Wherever you aren't.

Re: 0356: "Nerd Sniping"

Postby BlackHatSupport » Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:33 pm UTC

philsov wrote:is it meta sniping when they correct you that it should be "affected"?



That's half the fun, seeing which ones notice that.
Avenger_7 wrote:You are entitled to your opinion though. Even though it's wrong.

Yoduh
Posts: 31
Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:49 am UTC

Re: "Nerd Sniping" Discussion

Postby Yoduh » Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:51 pm UTC

strokebow wrote:
CNLohr wrote:I was fairly satisfied with my results. So, I plopped in the coordinates for the Knight's move, and ran the test automatically on a variety of number of resistors. A couple results from the middle are as follows:
Spoiler:
4x4 grid (32 resistors): .9955357 ohms
15x15 grid (450 resistors): .7856096 ohms
40x40 grid (3,200 resistors): .7749523 ohms
120x120 grid (28,800 resistors): .7734296 ohms
weighing in at around 514MB memory used, and 66 minutes run time, 320x320 grid (231,200): .7732632 ohms


So, if anyone is interested in a numerical system for solving arbitrary check points and arbitrary sizes for the field of resistors, feel free to check out my code.

http://userpages.umbc.edu/~lohr1/xkcdresistor/


How do you manage to get 32 resistor in a 4 by 4 grid
and 450 resistors in a 15 by 15 grid????

Surely in a 4 by 4 grid you would have 32 resistors???? anyone?


Don't ask me how he decided it but his math works out if each unit of the grid can each hold sqrt(2) = 1.414 resistors

User avatar
UniqueScreenname
Something something Purple. Stop asking.
Posts: 1430
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:11 pm UTC
Location: The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Re: 0356: "Nerd Sniping"

Postby UniqueScreenname » Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:50 am UTC

Black Hat Support: I love your signature.
PolakoVoador wrote:Pizza is never a question, pizza is always the answer.
poxic wrote:When we're stuck, flailing, and afraid, that's usually when we're running into the limitations of our old ways of doing things. Something new is being born. Stick around and find out what it is.

webgiant
Posts: 252
Joined: Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:36 pm UTC

Re: 0356: "Nerd Sniping"

Postby webgiant » Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:33 am UTC

MichaelKarnerfors wrote:Once I came accross this total moron... that I in retrospect found was in fact brilliant, because he had turned nerd sniping into a money making venture.

What he did was to say something to the effect of "If you cross a street many times, and you havn't gotten hit by a car so far, the risk that you will get hit by a car increases every time you cross". Basicly he said that independent random events were dependent, and not only that: he posted it on a skeptics' forum.

*BOOM* Headshot...

The nerds went berserk and flooded his blog with comments about what an idiot he was; dozens of explanatory examples showing why independent random events do not magically affect eachother; scans of the standard mathametical statistics textbook for swedish universities (he had quoted that one); a simulation program showing empirically that he was wrong (I did that one); post after post after post... upon which he simply replied "No, you're wrong, I'm right" and just kept holding his position like a textbook Dunning-Kruger victim.

I was about to declare him as living proof that you can survive a dual hemispherectomy... but then I noticed the utter brilliance of his scheme: he had get-paid-for-page-views ads on his blog.

It was genius!! His setup was so simple:

1) Get a blog.
2) Put ads on it.
3) Go nerd sniping (or maybe it's more accurate to call it nerd-baiting / nerd-trolling).
4) Profit!!!

Sheer brilliance.

/Michael

Now, how to do this without actually having to be a seemingly-stupid person.

forbiddenSpell
Posts: 16
Joined: Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:44 pm UTC

Re: 0356: "Nerd Sniping"

Postby forbiddenSpell » Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:21 pm UTC

webgiant wrote:
MichaelKarnerfors wrote:Once I came accross this total moron... that I in retrospect found was in fact brilliant, because he had turned nerd sniping into a money making venture.

What he did was to say something to the effect of "If you cross a street many times, and you havn't gotten hit by a car so far, the risk that you will get hit by a car increases every time you cross". Basicly he said that independent random events were dependent, and not only that: he posted it on a skeptics' forum.

*BOOM* Headshot...

The nerds went berserk and flooded his blog with comments about what an idiot he was; dozens of explanatory examples showing why independent random events do not magically affect eachother; scans of the standard mathametical statistics textbook for swedish universities (he had quoted that one); a simulation program showing empirically that he was wrong (I did that one); post after post after post... upon which he simply replied "No, you're wrong, I'm right" and just kept holding his position like a textbook Dunning-Kruger victim.

I was about to declare him as living proof that you can survive a dual hemispherectomy... but then I noticed the utter brilliance of his scheme: he had get-paid-for-page-views ads on his blog.

It was genius!! His setup was so simple:

1) Get a blog.
2) Put ads on it.
3) Go nerd sniping (or maybe it's more accurate to call it nerd-baiting / nerd-trolling).
4) Profit!!!

Sheer brilliance.

/Michael

Now, how to do this without actually having to be a seemingly-stupid person.


Do the opposite? Post legitimate science on a young-Earth creationist site and link to your blog?

tomtom2357
Posts: 563
Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:48 am UTC

Re: 0356: "Nerd Sniping"

Postby tomtom2357 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:28 am UTC

Just to do a bit more nerd sniping here, what is the solution in a 3d grid! :D

User avatar
mrob27
Posts: 1336
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:19 am UTC
Location: ]〖  
Contact:

Re: 0356: "Nerd Sniping"

Postby mrob27 » Mon May 14, 2012 1:23 am UTC

I only just got around to looking up the answers for xkcd 356, and I noticed that by now some of the links have died.

The geocities page is long gone, of course, but is still on archive.org, at http://web.archive.org/web/200602110027 ... node2.html

From that I was able to find an actual current live version of the same article, at http://sites.google.com/site/resistorgrid/

A better source however (because it has a table giving solutions for many different choices of which two nodes are "marked red" in the problem statement) is the paper by Atkinson and van Steenwijk. A link was given to http://atkinson.fmns.rug.nl/public_html/resist.pdf, which has also gone missing. But Google Scholar turns it up at http://pds4.egloos.com/pds/200708/06/25 ... ariski.pdf

There is a fine line between sniping and trolling. It might have been fun to point out that
[math]\sqrt{\pi}-1=0.772453...[/math]
which is only a bit less than
[math]\frac{4}{\pi}-\frac{1}{2}=0.773239...[/math]
and ask why it can (or cannot) be one or the other.
Robert Munafohttp://mrob.com@mrob_27
Image
I ᴍᴀᴅᴇ sᴏɍᴛᴡᴀʀᴇ ᴛʜᴀᴛ Rᴀɴᴅᴀʟʟ ɍᴏᴜɴᴅ ᴜsᴇɍᴜʟ ɪɴ ᴛʜɪs хᴋᴄᴅ


Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Feedfetcher and 108 guests