0360: "Writers Strike"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Mecks

0360: "Writers Strike"

Postby Mecks » Fri Dec 21, 2007 5:08 am UTC

Alt text: He's just jealous because everyone's up in the attic listening to Stephen Colbert.

---

Finally, Black Hat Man has done what we all want to do.

What we all want to do? All I want to do is stab you in your eyesocket repeatedly, is that what you're talking about? Is it? Has Black Hat Man broken into your house, picked up a pair of pliers, and shoved them four inches into your skull? Thank fucking Christ, then.

Link, fuckwit: http://xkcd.com/360/
You can't sleep at night
You can't dream your dream
Your fingerprints on file
Left clumsily at the scene

Your own worst enemy has come to town...

kcr

Re: "Writers Strike" Discussion

Postby kcr » Fri Dec 21, 2007 5:09 am UTC

AH!! Favorite comic in a long time. It's all SO TRUE.

(come back to me, Stephen...)

Mecks

Postby Mecks » Fri Dec 21, 2007 5:11 am UTC

kcr wrote:AH!! Favorite comic in a long time. It's all SO TRUE.

(come back to me, Stephen...)

The Strike truly has been agonizing.

But hey! There's an upside! They are coming back, writers or not, January 7. What a great birthday present for me!
You can't sleep at night
You can't dream your dream
Your fingerprints on file
Left clumsily at the scene

Your own worst enemy has come to town...

FiveFinger

Postby FiveFinger » Fri Dec 21, 2007 5:15 am UTC

I was wondering when this comic would come.

tesseract

Postby tesseract » Fri Dec 21, 2007 5:17 am UTC

I've heard of this writer's strike... haven't noticed its effects though. Glad I don't watch TV.

hoffmanbike

Postby hoffmanbike » Fri Dec 21, 2007 5:18 am UTC

my mom and i have been forced to watch the local news for updates on the campaigns and other random crap. we too have been hoping for a triumphant return of stewart/colbert indecision 08'.

thisisdavid

Postby thisisdavid » Fri Dec 21, 2007 5:20 am UTC

i do miss my fake news, but until there is an internet strike of some sort i'll be fine
Analyzing humor is like dissecting a frog. That is to say, it can be done, but the frog tends to die in the process.
-E.B. White

EvanED

Postby EvanED » Fri Dec 21, 2007 5:23 am UTC

thisisdavid wrote:i do miss my fake news, but until there is an internet strike of some sort i'll be fine

Ahhhhhh! Don't speak of such horrors!

MissingDividends

Postby MissingDividends » Fri Dec 21, 2007 5:24 am UTC

He's just jealous because everyone's up in the attic listening to Stephen Colbert.

Oooh, so that's where everyone is. I'll be up in a minute; I really want to hear what he has to say about that 7-foot-tall 12-year-old.

Another amazing comic. Perhaps in place of Jon Stewart//Stephen Colbert, Randall could give us his take ...?

aerojad
Wall O' AWESOME

Postby aerojad » Fri Dec 21, 2007 5:24 am UTC

re: that house they're at

can I come over? I'll bring them food!

STAREYe

Postby STAREYe » Fri Dec 21, 2007 5:43 am UTC

EvanED

Postby EvanED » Fri Dec 21, 2007 5:53 am UTC

STAREYe wrote:I lol'd.

Pretty badly timed though http://www.recorder.ca/cp/Entertainment ... 2078A.html

From the link:
In a joint statement, Stewart and Colbert said: "We would like to return to work with our writers. If we cannot, we would like to express our ambivalence, but without our writers we are unable to express something as nuanced as ambivalence."

Ha, very nice.

Ten Thousand Fists

Postby Ten Thousand Fists » Fri Dec 21, 2007 6:24 am UTC

sorry guys, but I have no idea what any of that is about.

Guess I just shouldn't have posted...

aleflamedyud
wants your cookies

Postby aleflamedyud » Fri Dec 21, 2007 6:27 am UTC

You're from New Zealand, it's OK. Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert, hosts of Comedy Central's fake news shows "The Daily Show" and "The Colbert Report" were basically the most insightful, pointed political reporter and commentator on American television... up until the writers struck.
"With kindness comes naïveté. Courage becomes foolhardiness. And dedication has no reward. If you can't accept any of that, you are not fit to be a graduate student."

OfficiallyHaphazard
Age=postcount/60

Postby OfficiallyHaphazard » Fri Dec 21, 2007 6:27 am UTC

Funny:

Funnier:
Alt text: He's just jealous because everyone's up in the attic listening to Stephen Colbert.

Funniest:
Mecks wrote:Finally, Black Hat Man has done what we all want to do.

What we all want to do? All I want to do is stab you in your eyesocket repeatedly, is that what you're talking about? Is it? Has Black Hat Man broken into your house, picked up a pair of pliers, and shoved them four inches into your skull? Thank fucking Christ, then.

Link, fuckwit: http://xkcd.com/360/

Also, YAY, I love the colbert repor' so it was great yet another great combination of xkcd+otherAwesomeThing
"Who are you, how did you get in my house?" - Donald Knuth

Sartorius

Postby Sartorius » Fri Dec 21, 2007 6:39 am UTC

Come back to me Jon and Stephen, come back!

xkcd expresses the very lament of my heart.
"Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life." -Terry Pratchett

Brineshrimp

Postby Brineshrimp » Fri Dec 21, 2007 6:40 am UTC

As a religious fan of The Office... this hurt bad. I'm just glad that..
Spoiler:
JIM AND PAM FINALLY GOT TOGETHER!! ^___^
Cramped Crustaceans need love too.

joshdrilling

Postby joshdrilling » Fri Dec 21, 2007 6:46 am UTC

Brineshrimp, Pam is depressing

H.E.L.e.N.
Cheesy-tuna-bacon-pickle?

Postby H.E.L.e.N. » Fri Dec 21, 2007 7:01 am UTC

STAREYe wrote:I lol'd.

Pretty badly timed though http://www.recorder.ca/cp/Entertainment ... 2078A.html

We've still had months (is it months?) to miss them.

I missed them.

Gadren

Postby Gadren » Fri Dec 21, 2007 7:07 am UTC

YES.

This strip is awesome...

*sigh* God, I miss Stewart/Colbert. It's amazing how painful watching our society can be without someone cutting through all the nonsense.

e946

Postby e946 » Fri Dec 21, 2007 7:09 am UTC

100% agreed. I'm so sick of local news and their weather updates every 4 damn minutes.

Hurduser

Postby Hurduser » Fri Dec 21, 2007 7:10 am UTC

this one was VERY 'mericentric! :x
Frag mal nach im IRC
'zum Kotzen' das heisst dort XP.
Win2k, nur so zum staunen,
hat mehr Bugs als nur zweitausend.

SkaBassist

Postby SkaBassist » Fri Dec 21, 2007 7:20 am UTC

Did anyone else miss "The Big Bang Theory"? I'm not a big fan of sitcoms, but I miss all the nerd references in popular media, as obvious as it was that the writers are no nerds.

Amarantha

Postby Amarantha » Fri Dec 21, 2007 7:45 am UTC

SkaBassist wrote:Did anyone else miss "The Big Bang Theory"?

Ya, that's the main thing I'm missing. Also, it will be a longer wait for Battlestar Galactica. But Gordon Ramsay and xkcd are keeping me occupied :) And this negroni I'm drinking. Hmmm, do these forums have a drnuk thread? *searches*

Surgery

Postby Surgery » Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:10 am UTC

Brineshrimp wrote:As a religious fan of The Office... this hurt bad. I'm just glad that..
Spoiler:
JIM AND PAM FINALLY GOT TOGETHER!! ^___^

am i the only one who was disappointed when that happened? i mean seriously, come on, again?

chardish

Postby chardish » Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:20 am UTC

All the cool kids get their satirical political commentary from NPR's "Wait Wait Don't Tell Me," so I'm not too bothered.

Xiroth

Postby Xiroth » Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:36 am UTC

This strip actually got me thinking: I've always considered these kinds of strikes a little lacking in teeth. They always seem to lack real potency. So, instead of just simply not working, why not work...for the competition? Now, clearly they can't just work for another of the big studios - that sort of destroys the point of a industry-wide strike. So what's another source of competition? Well, the biggest threat to the current way of doing things can be found at this not-so-humble website. How cool would it be if Stewart and Colbert did their shows (with their writers) on the cheap and uploaded it to YouTube, giving us entertainment and twisting the knife in their would-be employers? It'd be especially cool if they somehow managed to find a way to make money through it too.

Guess it's not likely to happen (more than likely there's contracts forbidding it), but I still like the idea.

madjo

Postby madjo » Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:51 am UTC

I doubt Stewart and Colbert would be able to fill an 'tv-hour' long tv-show on their own. How are they going to fill it without writers? Stewart has already once explained that the writers are the heart and soul of the program, they write most of the jokes...

I'd expect a disappointment come January 7th on Comedy Central.
(heck I'm already disappointed in Comedy Central in The Netherlands. "We've got comedy"... riiiight, I haven't seen much of that yet then. (except for the Daily Show, the clips of which I'd rather watch online, because we only have 1 show in the week, which is also shown on CNN.))

chardish wrote:All the cool kids get their satirical political commentary from NPR's "Wait Wait Don't Tell Me," so I'm not too bothered.

Agrees. I <3 Wait Wait Don't Tell Me. And I'm not even 'merican! :)
:)

You are carrying:
- a slightly paranoid Android
- two left feet (not my own)
- a still unfed and very hungry hippo
- broadsword of +5 ridiculousness stained with the blood of the undead souls
- a stetson Resistol, cuz stetson Resistols are cool.

moorling

Postby moorling » Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:22 am UTC

Xiroth wrote:This strip actually got me thinking: I've always considered these kinds of strikes a little lacking in teeth. They always seem to lack real potency. So, instead of just simply not working, why not work...for the competition? Now, clearly they can't just work for another of the big studios - that sort of destroys the point of a industry-wide strike. So what's another source of competition? Well, the biggest threat to the current way of doing things can be found at this not-so-humble website. How cool would it be if Stewart and Colbert did their shows (with their writers) on the cheap and uploaded it to YouTube, giving us entertainment and twisting the knife in their would-be employers? It'd be especially cool if they somehow managed to find a way to make money through it too.

Guess it's not likely to happen (more than likely there's contracts forbidding it), but I still like the idea.

Umm... that would kind of defeat the whole point of the strike. The writers are upset because they don't get any money from the stuff that goes online. There are a couple videos on youtube explaining it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJ55Ir2jCxk and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8a37uqd5vTw. The writers have a perfectly good reason for striking and it isn't like they are asking for excessive amounts of money.

Ari

Postby Ari » Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:09 pm UTC

moorling wrote:Umm... that would kind of defeat the whole point of the strike. The writers are upset because they don't get any money from the stuff that goes online. There are a couple videos on youtube explaining it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJ55Ir2jCxk and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8a37uqd5vTw. The writers have a perfectly good reason for striking and it isn't like they are asking for excessive amounts of money.

Still, I've enjoyed watching the strikes on youtube and watching their funny remarks about how raw a deal they're getting. They should preach to the public with comedy, it works great ^_^
"Hey %*&^er, offensive communication works fine so long as you do it respectfully." :D
"I am so quoting that out of context at a later date."

zenten

Postby zenten » Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:10 pm UTC

thisisdavid wrote:i do miss my fake news, but until there is an internet strike of some sort i'll be fine

Fake news? Those guys are the most reliable news source in the US.

zenten

Postby zenten » Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:12 pm UTC

Hurduser wrote:this one was VERY 'mericentric! :x

Common, everyone loves Jon Stewart. He's right up there with the BBC news.

zenten

Postby zenten » Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:14 pm UTC

moorling wrote:
Xiroth wrote:This strip actually got me thinking: I've always considered these kinds of strikes a little lacking in teeth. They always seem to lack real potency. So, instead of just simply not working, why not work...for the competition? Now, clearly they can't just work for another of the big studios - that sort of destroys the point of a industry-wide strike. So what's another source of competition? Well, the biggest threat to the current way of doing things can be found at this not-so-humble website. How cool would it be if Stewart and Colbert did their shows (with their writers) on the cheap and uploaded it to YouTube, giving us entertainment and twisting the knife in their would-be employers? It'd be especially cool if they somehow managed to find a way to make money through it too.

Umm... that would kind of defeat the whole point of the strike. The writers are upset because they don't get any money from the stuff that goes online. There are a couple videos on youtube explaining it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJ55Ir2jCxk and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8a37uqd5vTw. The writers have a perfectly good reason for striking and it isn't like they are asking for excessive amounts of money.

What they need to do is go make their own studio that will pay them money.

nameless
Fooled you; My name is Inigo Montoya

Postby nameless » Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:54 pm UTC

I agree with your assessment 110%. If they would do that it would be so friggin awesome
Wayne Weiten wrote:Sexual intercourse is really a pretty simple activity. Most animals execute the act with a minimum of difficulty. However, humans manage to make sexual relations terribly complicated

PatrickRsGhost

Postby PatrickRsGhost » Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:01 pm UTC

I don't watch Daily Show or Colbert Repor' much, but I lawled at this one anyways.

The writer's strike really hasn't affected me, since I mainly watch cable programming, and most of the shows are in syndication. I watch reruns of "CSI" on Spike TV, or "Law & Order SVU" on USA. If I'm up late enough I might watch "Monk" or reruns of "House" on USA as well. Otherwise it's old cartoons on Boomerang or a movie through On Demand. Those Hollywood writers can strike all they want.

Define Irony: Hollywood writers going on strike for better wages, but are currently not making any since they quit working in order to go on strike.
PRG

An important message for you:

lowbart

Postby lowbart » Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:21 pm UTC

I don't watch TV and I think people should be paid for using their work, so I support the writers strike. Woo!
...a fish called the Henamo grunter, named because it makes grunting noises from its swim bladder.
v1nsai wrote:Yes, I'm Linux, how can I help you ma'am?

taptap
I laughed so hard i fell out of my concubine

Postby taptap » Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:27 pm UTC

SkaBassist wrote:Did anyone else miss "The Big Bang Theory"? I'm not a big fan of sitcoms, but I miss all the nerd references in popular media, as obvious as it was that the writers are no nerds.

The big bang theory was the first thing I thought about when reading this strip! I really do miss it....

Davean wrote:Only the bots can see the entire forum the mods have dedicated to bashing taptap for asking questions with obvious answers. It should look good when his next interviewer Googles him before the interview.

macronencer

Postby macronencer » Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:49 pm UTC

This writers' strike is having many unexpected effects. It seems to have resulted in the absence of an apostrophe in "writers' strike" in this cartoon.

:twisted:
I think those are crocodile tears: you must be in de Nile.

Deviant

Postby Deviant » Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:52 pm UTC

To be honest I can do without Jon Stewart. I dont know to me it all seems a little too obvious, that said its very american humour. Being a brit it doesnt really appeal to me.

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:58 pm UTC

I miss 30 Rock. :(

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”