0362: "Blade Runner"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

jon787

0362: "Blade Runner"

Postby jon787 » Wed Dec 26, 2007 5:07 am UTC

Alt text: Blade Runner: Classic, but incredibly slow.

I love this movie, we convinced my World Cultures prof to let us watch it in class as an example of "future culture"
Last edited by jon787 on Wed Dec 26, 2007 5:08 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Herr Mors

Re: Blade Runner

Postby Herr Mors » Wed Dec 26, 2007 5:08 am UTC

I do not get this comic

AltoidAddict

Postby AltoidAddict » Wed Dec 26, 2007 5:15 am UTC

My friends do something similar. "Commando, right, that's that movie where Arnold has to buy the last of a popular toy for his kid, and hilarity ensues."

jon787

Postby jon787 » Wed Dec 26, 2007 5:25 am UTC

I seem to remember some webcomic (Penny Arcade?) doing a strip that involved a line similar to "Dune? I heard they made a book out of that movie." Anyone know what strip that was?

scifisoldier

Postby scifisoldier » Wed Dec 26, 2007 5:39 am UTC

I made an account just so I could respond to this. I had never heard of Blade Runner but my ten year old brother got it for me for Christmas. I just watched it two hours ago and I thought it was really strange but interesting. I don't think it will be one of my all time favorites. Still, what a weird coincidence.

aerojad
Wall O' AWESOME

Postby aerojad » Wed Dec 26, 2007 5:44 am UTC

never seen it, so I guess that's why I'm on the outside looking in for this one

Durandal

Postby Durandal » Wed Dec 26, 2007 5:46 am UTC

Last edited by Durandal on Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:38 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Sc4Freak

Postby Sc4Freak » Wed Dec 26, 2007 5:47 am UTC

I've seen it, but I still don't get it.

AdrianP

Postby AdrianP » Wed Dec 26, 2007 6:23 am UTC

For those who don't get it... I think the humour comes from taking something that its fans consider to be on a high plane of sophistication (Blade Runner fans can get pretty snotty about it) and bitch-slapping it down to the status of a teen flick. Blade Runner has a huge amount of associated lore, depth, etc., while the antagonist is comparing it (unfavourably, I might add) to a movie (New York Minute) that is spectacular only for its shallowness and failure (it had the lowest profit of a major movie, ever.)

If I had to compare it with a previous strip, I would say it is most similar in style and tone to the "I'm not really into Pokemon" thread.

wes

Postby wes » Wed Dec 26, 2007 6:44 am UTC

Blade Runner was based on Philip K. Dick's novel Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?

Really, that should say it all. :P

Wikipedia wrote:Dick's stories typically focus on the fragile nature of what is "real" and the construction of personal identity. His stories often become surreal fantasies as the main characters slowly discover that their everyday world is actually an illusion constructed by powerful external entities (such as in Ubik), vast political conspiracies, or simply from the vicissitudes of an unreliable narrator. "All of his work starts with the basic assumption that there cannot be one, single, objective reality," writes science fiction author Charles Platt. "Everything is a matter of perception. The ground is liable to shift under your feet. A protagonist may find himself living out another person's dream, or he may enter a drug-induced state that actually makes better sense than the real world, or he may cross into a different universe completely."

Alternate universes and simulacra were common plot devices, with fictional worlds inhabited by common, working people, rather than galactic elites. "There are no heroes in Dick's books," Ursula K. Le Guin wrote, "but there are heroics. One is reminded of Dickens: what counts is the honesty, constancy, kindness and patience of ordinary people." Dick made no secret that much of his ideas and work were heavily influenced by the writings of C.G. Jung, the Swiss founder of the theory of the human psyche he called "Analytical Psychology" (to distinguish it from Freud's theory of psychoanalysis). Jung was a self-taught expert on the unconscious and mythological foundations of conscious experience and was open to the Reality underlying mystical experiences. The Jungian constructs and models that most concerned Dick seem to be the archetypes of the collective unconscious, group projection/ hallucination, synchronicities, and personality theory. Many of Dick's protagonists overtly analyze reality and their perceptions in Jungian terms (see Lies Inc.), while other times, the themes are so obviously in reference to Jung their usage needs no explanation. Dick's self-named "Exegesis" also contained many notes on Jung in relation to theology and mysticism.

If you liked Blade Runner, check out other movies based on PKD novels: Total Recall, A Scanner Darkly, Minority Report, Impostor, and Paycheck.
Last edited by wes on Thu Dec 27, 2007 4:27 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Coldcell

Postby Coldcell » Wed Dec 26, 2007 6:48 am UTC

scifisoldier wrote:I had never heard of Blade Runner but my ten year old brother got it for me for Christmas. I just watched it two hours ago and I thought it was really strange but interesting.

Have you read Philip K Dick's, "Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep"? I read it finally a month ago, and while it's different from the movie in several ways, I also found strange but interesting.
Yeah...

Masuri

Postby Masuri » Wed Dec 26, 2007 6:54 am UTC

Well, Blade Runner is considered one of the consummate neo-noir films. It's based on a Philip K. Dick story and it was directed by Ridley Scott - both big dogs. It's pretty well regarded as far as 'best film evar' lists go, as well.

There have been about a brazillion derivative works filmed since this movie was released in 1982. Young whippersnappers will get this new DVD release, watch it and think some blasphemy like, "Oh, that's a total ripoff of <insert some horrific sci-fi movie>." Old and busted geeks like myself cringe and try to explain that it's one of the main templates that such films were based on, and said whippersnappers' eyes will glaze over and not absorb a word we're saying.

Now get off my lawn!

H.H

Postby H.H » Wed Dec 26, 2007 6:55 am UTC

Coldcell wrote:
scifisoldier wrote:I had never heard of Blade Runner but my ten year old brother got it for me for Christmas. I just watched it two hours ago and I thought it was really strange but interesting.

Have you read Philip K Dick's, "Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep"? I read it finally a month ago, and while it's different from the movie in several ways, I also found strange but interesting.

I believe that the hype over this movie, especially when the book was so much better, just goes to show you everything that's rotten with Hollywood and pop-culture.
There, I've said it.

AbalidothAscendant

Postby AbalidothAscendant » Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:05 am UTC

I'm still waiting for our generation to get a sci-fi classic like Blade Runner.
Unfortunately, that seems unlikely to happen.
To our country! In her intercourse with foreign nations may she be always in the right; but our country, right or wrong, should carry condoms in her purse.
-Stephen Decatur
My LiveJournal

ikefalcon

Postby ikefalcon » Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:21 am UTC

I TOTALLY agree with the mouse-over. I've tried to watch Blade Runner on about 5 different occasions, but I've never gotten farther than halfway through.

Ashbash

Postby Ashbash » Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:22 am UTC

wes wrote:Blade Runner was based on Philip K. Dick's novel Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?

I though AI was based on that novel. Were both of them based on that novel? Or are you just not really into pokemon?

Bnty

Postby Bnty » Wed Dec 26, 2007 9:09 am UTC

Definitely based off the Philip Dick novel.
It's a really interesting movie, stimulates the brain. It's pretty much meant to be slow paced, it just works out that way.
And this is the equivalent of, "Star Trek, that's the one with Captain Gene Luck Skywalker and Jar-Jar Binks, right? I love that movie!"

exarch

Postby exarch » Wed Dec 26, 2007 9:35 am UTC

AbalidothAscendant wrote:I'm still waiting for our generation to get a sci-fi classic like Blade Runner.
Unfortunately, that seems unlikely to happen.

Unlikely because it seems you can't sell a story with an open or an unhappy ending any more.
That is, unless you Spielbergh the ending, which is what happened with AI to such an obvious extent you know exactly when to turn the movie off.
And no one is going to consider a massacred/mutilated version of a classic sci-fi novel, complete with tacked-on happy ending, a good movie by any standards.

laranzu

Postby laranzu » Wed Dec 26, 2007 10:54 am UTC

Perhaps the new classics of science fiction are on television? My favourite memories from the 1980s are movies like Blade Runner, but for the 1990s and 21st century Babylon 5 and Battlestar Galactica stand out more than any movie.

Azzaman

Postby Azzaman » Wed Dec 26, 2007 12:21 pm UTC

exarch wrote:Unlikely because it seems you can't sell a story with an open or an unhappy ending any more.

I disagree. I wrote an essay on literature with open/unhappy endings, and found a lot of examples. Ever seen A History of Violence? Great movie. Open ended.

Berengal
Superabacus Mystic of the First Rank

Postby Berengal » Wed Dec 26, 2007 12:58 pm UTC

I just got this movie! Not for christmas, I bought it for myself, but still...

As for slow, I've spent two days watching it, and I've only gotten halfway.
It is practically impossible to teach good programming to students who are motivated by money: As potential programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration.

DragonHawk

Postby DragonHawk » Wed Dec 26, 2007 1:34 pm UTC

AbalidothAscendant wrote:I'm still waiting for our generation to get a sci-fi classic like Blade Runner.

Not really sure how you're defining "our generation", but The Matrix comes to mind as a relatively recent movie that's likely to be considered a "sci-fi classic" by some large segment of the population.
-----
ikefalcon wrote:I TOTALLY agree with the mouse-over. I've tried to watch Blade Runner on about 5 different occasions, but I've never gotten farther than halfway through.

I guess it's not for those with short attention spans.

'scuse me, I've got to run -- I think I hear some kids on a lawn somewhere!
Ben'); DROP TABLE Users;--

GENERATION 42: The first time you see this, copy it into yοur sig on any forum and stick a fork in yοur еyе. Social experiment.

csours

Postby csours » Wed Dec 26, 2007 1:47 pm UTC

in regard to a previous post, if you want to be inside of someone else's bad trip read 'through a scanner darkly' (a bible reference by the way) or 'ubiq'. very very trippy. blade runner is a pretty good film, but the book is much more vivid, gritty and all that.

does anyone know of a film that starred harrison ford and the olsen twins?

dharmamama

Postby dharmamama » Wed Dec 26, 2007 2:00 pm UTC

H.H wrote:I believe that the hype over this movie, especially when the book was so much better, just goes to show you everything that's rotten with Hollywood and pop-culture.

If I'm remember correctly, though, when the movie came out (lo, those many years ago....) there wasn't so much hype for the movie itself - it's only with some time passing that it achieved somewhat of a cult status. It does work on many complex levels, but even when it came out, critics said it was slow. It's a movie I've long loved. The hype now is Hollywood and pop-culture trying to ride the coattails of the deeper appreciation of the movie that's come with time.

Or maybe that's what you were saying.

hellcat

Postby hellcat » Wed Dec 26, 2007 2:35 pm UTC

AbalidothAscendant:

As some have mentioned....The Matrix, you can make a case for Children of Men, or maybe the Fountain, go to a bit more indie and you have a movie like Primer. Just a tad further back in time and you can make a case for the 5th element, which I adore.

Pesto

Postby Pesto » Wed Dec 26, 2007 2:43 pm UTC

Masuri wrote:There have been about a brazillion derivative works filmed since this movie was released in 1982. Young whippersnappers will get this new DVD release, watch it and think some blasphemy like, "Oh, that's a total ripoff of <insert some horrific sci-fi movie>." Old and busted geeks like myself cringe and try to explain that it's one of the main templates that such films were based on, and said whippersnappers' eyes will glaze over and not absorb a word we're saying.

My high school English teacher said she had a student who didn't like Hamlet, because "there were too many cliches."

Hmmm. Ever wonder where those cliches came from?

That said, I never thought Blade Runner was all that great. And what's the deal with that photo that he enhances at one point, and ends up looking around the corner into the bathroom mirror? That has never made sense to me.

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Wed Dec 26, 2007 2:54 pm UTC

AdrianP wrote:For those who don't get it... I think the humour comes from taking something that its fans consider to be on a high plane of sophistication (Blade Runner fans can get pretty snotty about it) and bitch-slapping it down to the status of a teen flick. Blade Runner has a huge amount of associated lore, depth, etc., while the antagonist is comparing it (unfavourably, I might add) to a movie (New York Minute) that is spectacular only for its shallowness and failure (it had the lowest profit of a major movie, ever.)

If I had to compare it with a previous strip, I would say it is most similar in style and tone to the "I'm not really into Pokemon" thread.

See, from where I'm sitting, the humour comes from picking a "fact" out of thin air ("The olsen twins were in blade runner") and then, when corrected, altering your "understanding" around that "fact", forcing the corrector to continue correcting you ad infinitum and grow more and more frustrated with your refusal to get the point.

The quality of the movies only enters into it as far as it makes the claim even more absurd.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

LarrySDonald

Postby LarrySDonald » Wed Dec 26, 2007 2:58 pm UTC

Unlikely because it seems you can't sell a story with an open or an unhappy ending any more.

As all bladerunner aficionados know, you couldn't then either - hence that cheesepuff ending that gagged everyone in the original release where it turns out it's not at all unhappy but in an inexplicable twist of fate they end up in a world full of sunshine and kittens, ruining the whole vibe.

I don't think things have changed on selling unhappy endings (in things other then horror where "the bad guys are allowed to win here" is nearly the definition of the genera) that much. It's never been an easy path to take, some manage, some don't. I also don't feel that the "real" ending was that unhappy, just very ambiguous as most things are - it was for all intents the best case scenario, just so happens in life that's not always an over the top "and they lived happily ever after". The ending reflects that.

See? Even a lowly fan like me can get started very fast..

Domovoi

Postby Domovoi » Wed Dec 26, 2007 3:15 pm UTC

Berengal wrote:As for slow, I've spent two days watching it, and I've only gotten halfway.

Huh. Blade Runner never really struck me as slow. 2001, now that's slow. Dog slow. And, a dog of a movie, IMHO.

LarrySDonald wrote:I also don't feel that the "real" ending was that unhappy, just very ambiguous as most things are - it was for all intents the best case scenario, just so happens in life that's not always an over the top "and they lived happily ever after". The ending reflects that.

I definitely agree. The 'proper' ending is open, it's not a happy or an unhappy one. It simply ends on the note of being on the run. Wether they make it, nobody knows, and that fits best with the entire style of the movie.

Has anyone compared the new release to the old DVD release yet? I have the original one, and I'm wondering if I should get the new one. I hear that the Jean-Michel Jarre soundtrack was cut. I'm not entirely sure if that's a good or a bad thing.

Black ICE

Postby Black ICE » Wed Dec 26, 2007 3:18 pm UTC

never seen it, but it is a little funny seeing how he is compareing the cast of full house to Blade Runner witch is clearly a sci-fi movie :lol: i've heard a lot about this movie, i should get it.

mrmanme

Postby mrmanme » Wed Dec 26, 2007 3:29 pm UTC

You certainly can have a good unhappy ending these days. Anyone see Babel? Okay, 3/4s of the ending was happy, but one part was VERY unhappy.

As for current sci-fi: Unquestionably The Matrix, and if you consider them to be part of that genre, Children of Men and The Fountain were both great. Those two weren't well-received last year, but neither was Blade Runner when it first came out. Maybe 25 years from now, we'll have people talking about the genius of Hugh Jackman in long periods of silence and bright lights, going on a very atmospheric journey.

Isn't that what we love about Blade Runner? That it takes so long to go anywhere, and you still wish it would get there a bit more slowly because you want to stop the camera, get out, and explore LA2019 for yourself.

majorb42

Postby majorb42 » Wed Dec 26, 2007 3:29 pm UTC

ikefalcon wrote:I TOTALLY agree with the mouse-over. I've tried to watch Blade Runner on about 5 different occasions, but I've never gotten farther than halfway through.

Why watch one of the best sci-fi movies ever made when you can just watch crap like Transformers?

Geekthras
3) What if it's delicious?

Postby Geekthras » Wed Dec 26, 2007 3:48 pm UTC

This comic made me sigh, remembering people who went "Oh me yarm teh 4th star warz was teh stupidest 1, it wuz so boring! teh 3rd 1 wuz teh best!"
Wait. With a SPOON?!

nameless
Fooled you; My name is Inigo Montoya

Postby nameless » Wed Dec 26, 2007 3:51 pm UTC

I found this funny because it's almost a copy of something I drew in history class a month ago, I'll see if I can find it and I'll post it for you guys if you want.
Wayne Weiten wrote:Sexual intercourse is really a pretty simple activity. Most animals execute the act with a minimum of difficulty. However, humans manage to make sexual relations terribly complicated

Anjruu

Postby Anjruu » Wed Dec 26, 2007 4:01 pm UTC

Domovoi wrote:Has anyone compared the new release to the old DVD release yet? I have the original one, and I'm wondering if I should get the new one. I hear that the Jean-Michel Jarre soundtrack was cut. I'm not entirely sure if that's a good or a bad thing.

I got it for Christmas (thus this strip made me oh so happy), but honestly, I liked the original better. The music isn't as good, and they have many more shots of flying cars and such. It took away from the noir-ish atmosphere, which was what was so awesome in the movie.

And I'm still disappointed the screen writer didn't put in Mercer and a real version of JR.

Fargren

Postby Fargren » Wed Dec 26, 2007 4:03 pm UTC

I love this. And I started reading "Do Rbots Dream with Electric Sheep?" yesterday. I love this coincidences :)
English is not my native language, so please don't expect me to be perfectly profficient with it.

jayhawk

Postby jayhawk » Wed Dec 26, 2007 4:10 pm UTC

csours wrote:does anyone know of a film that starred harrison ford and the olsen twins?

The Olsen Twins have a "Harrison Ford number" of 2.

Mary Kate and Ashley were in "Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle" with Robert Patrick, who was in "Firewall" with Harrison Ford.

wickedsweetcake
Location: The suburban black hole that is my hometown, Pennsylvania. Occasionally Erie, PA for college.

Postby wickedsweetcake » Wed Dec 26, 2007 5:14 pm UTC

This reminds me of something that happened last year. Me and a few friends were standing in GameStop and someone picked up the movie Paycheck, saying something like "Hey, Paycheck was a really great movie." One of my other friends spoke up and said "Isn't that the movie where the guy can't leave the phone booth?" A third, more sarcastic friend replied "No Kevin, the movie where the guy couldn't leave the phone booth was called Phone Booth." Everyone in the store laughed at Kevin's misfortune. The story's been retold so many times it's now a deep part of our college lore.

Yeah, it's stretching, but its the first thing that came to my mind.

wintermute

Postby wintermute » Wed Dec 26, 2007 5:24 pm UTC

Domovoi wrote:Has anyone compared the new release to the old DVD release yet? I have the original one, and I'm wondering if I should get the new one. I hear that the Jean-Michel Jarre soundtrack was cut. I'm not entirely sure if that's a good or a bad thing.

Jean-Michel Jarre? You mean Vangelis, right?

My plan is to watch four versions of Blade Runner today. So far, I've seen the International Theatric Cut and the Director's Cut. Next up will be the Workprint Cut and the Final Cut.

God, I love this film.

Lathe

Postby Lathe » Wed Dec 26, 2007 5:28 pm UTC

Some friends of mine were at home of someone who loved BladeRunner and was showing off on his brand new stereo. When the movie started explaining the lack of emotions of replicants (I think they were "cold and unfeeling", its been a while), the visiting friends "oh, like Republicans?". They spent rest of moving saying "Republican" whenever the movie said "replicant", slowly ticking off the guy trying showing off his favorite movie. I was only bummed that I missed all the fun.

As for the movie itself, I liked it but never thought it was great. The amusing thing is that BladeRunner comes in so many different versions: with voice-over narration and without, with tacked on happy ending and without, etc. I'm still waiting for "BladeRunner: It's a desert topping no it's a floorwax Edition".

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”