0368: "Bass"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Nimz

Re: "Bass" discussion

Postby Nimz » Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:36 am UTC

the_inq wrote:MrOrange and MathMagic. That's exactly what I was wondering! It would still have a positive effect (as in partially muting the sound). Then again it depends on the phase shift. Maybe a different shift would create standing wave between the "Black Hat Device" and the "Bass Thumper"?

Different phase shifts cause different effects. If the phase shift was 2π and the source audio was a sine wave, there would be the same effect as a 0 phase shift. Technicalities aside, I believe the phase shift accounts for the distance between the BT and the BHD. Too lazy to write them out, so I bolded them in the quote. Though this is more writing. Oh well. If the device is equipped with ranging instruments, the phase shift necessary for maximum effect could be calculated quickly by software. Not my specialty, so I'll just let the computer-type people figure that out.
LOWA

keozen
The Bearded FaiD Batman

Postby keozen » Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:46 am UTC

Where can i get one of those? Seriously :D :twisted:

Catdrake

Postby Catdrake » Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:59 am UTC

Me, i'd say the best thing to do is blast kids TV show themes instead of the macarena. The Barney theme is the musical equivalent of a dirty bomb. Trick is to wear earplugs to avoid accidental exposure.
Nothing to see here, move along.

madjo

Postby madjo » Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:37 am UTC

ohki wrote:Alright, for the sake of example, lets say that this device works and blows out bass speakers. What would happen if it was tuned to detect.. oh, I don't know.. the rhythmic vocalizations of a certain upstairs neighbor's loud girlfriend?

Shattered eardrums? :)

BTW, that banana fanna fofanna song, I'd like it if it is the tiny toons version. :)
:)

You are carrying:
- a slightly paranoid Android
- two left feet (not my own)
- a still unfed and very hungry hippo
- broadsword of +5 ridiculousness stained with the blood of the undead souls
- a stetson Resistol, cuz stetson Resistols are cool.

Linux0s

Postby Linux0s » Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:40 am UTC

I bet Randall was captivated by the subtle intricacy of the Banana Song formula:

(X), (X), bo-b(X−1)
Banana-fana fo-f(X−1)
Fee-fi-mo-m(X−1)
X!

~Linux0s
If the male mind truly were a machine it would consist of a shaft and a bushing.

arbivark

Postby arbivark » Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:41 am UTC

*caution, above post is a rick roll*

Minicontest: send us your pics of installed Macarena switches.
Or, if somebody wanted to make up a bunch, they could be added to the store sticker set.
http://xkcd.com/store/
Last edited by arbivark on Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:44 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Dft

Postby Dft » Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:44 am UTC

ohki wrote:Then, you flip the switch to use this particularly heinous revisiting of the macarena: http://youtube.com/watch?v=BMLeVrzZNa0

Fix'd: De-rickrolled.
Anyone who finds cuss words offensive shouldn't click.

Rook

Postby Rook » Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:28 am UTC

Dft wrote:
ohki wrote:Then, you flip the switch to use this particularly heinous revisiting of the macarena: http://youtube.com/watch?v=BMLeVrzZNa0

You lie.

Also, how hard would it be to make it omni directional? So it knocks out every speaker in a 20m radius say? It would have to be the magnetic thingy suggested on page 1 by I don't remember who, but still. Mount that thing in a black van with massive sub woofers on top, then drive past as many chavs as you can find. Fast. Playing every annoying 90s hit under the sun.

Fitting nitrous oxide tanks to said van may be required as a safety precaution.
You scratch my lion, and I'll scratch yours.

mattmacf wrote:Action precedes motivation.

This is very, very important.

hurrr

Postby hurrr » Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:48 am UTC

Oh my, I want one of those things.

slobrummer

Postby slobrummer » Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:49 am UTC

well, assuming you had a device that could replicate sound waves out of phase (and if the sound source or listener we're moving there would be a change in pitch due to the velocity of either object), which would be hard because you'd have to essentially record the source, then process it to make it out of phase, and then play it back which adds a few milliseconds of time, it would only nullify the sound, not blow up the source speaker. Then you've got to deal with the fact there will be all kinds of primary and secondary reflections of surfaces unless your source of audio and the unwanted source of audio are immediately next to each other. The destructive waves = 0 resulting in no sound wave. You'd have to play a different sound out of your device, like the fundamental frequency of the material the speaker is made out of, in order to destroy it. Also, you could theoretically (not that the rest of this isn't) send a focused beam of electromagnetic energy at the speaker playing in the hopes of over powering the original speaker signal source with your own, but that would be a many jiggawatts if not more.

Did anyone see the MIB cartoon episode where they had a device that was able to phase shift and cancel selectively? I liked that show back when I was in middle school.

keozen
The Bearded FaiD Batman

Postby keozen » Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:13 am UTC

Best Songs/Artists to play loud at people that play loud music out of their cars just to annoy them:

- "Bob the Builder"
- "The Birdie Song"
- Madonna - Holiday
- "If you're Happy & You Know it Clap your hands"
- The national anthem of a random country (not your own)

Chacor

Postby Chacor » Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:44 am UTC

You know, that'd be perfect for me. I live in a flat (apartment buildings), and between my building and the one across from me is a road (cul-de-sac carpark) with one exit. I hate those people thumping their music out - gets caught between the two buildings. This contraption is just... perfect. :twisted: :twisted:

Sareji

Postby Sareji » Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:20 pm UTC

If Black Hat used it against the loud girl and the reflector dish - would it blow the girl?

macronencer

Postby macronencer » Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:37 pm UTC

OK, here's the best way to actually make this work IMO.

You can't gauge the distance to the source unless you can "ping" it, which is unlikely unless you use separate radar.
You also can't gauge the correct pitch if the source is moving relative to the device.

However...
On the assumption that the perp is playing at a very high volume (i.e. a significant portion of the capacity of the speakers), all you really have to do is send a focused sub-sonic sound wave at a sufficient amplitude to make up the difference in pressure. As it is subsonic, each of its peaks will add with the other peaks in the sound source and will be guaranteed not to cancel out, so the sum will exceed the speaker cone's range of movement, ripping it elegantly from its mountings.

So, high-pressure subsonics is the way to go with this. Unfortunately, this may also cause the victim to release the contents of stomach and/or bowels, according to your particular favourite piece of scientific research and/or urban legend. Still, that may be considered a bonus.

I thank you.
I think those are crocodile tears: you must be in de Nile.

Maseiken
The Candylawyer

Postby Maseiken » Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:39 pm UTC

Hey! I like that song...

Any Comic that includes the principles of Resonant Frequency and it's potential for mischief is fine by me, because It's one of the few Obscure Physics concepts I understand.
"GRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOWR!!!!"
(Translation: "Objection!")

Maseiken had the ball at the top of the key...

Benevolent Lion

Postby Benevolent Lion » Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:43 pm UTC

I have a question about the application of a lot of devices created in XKCD. Why don't we ask myth busters? I mean if they can make a oscillator that can vibrate a bridge, then who says they can't build the black hat machine.

That or one of you peoples make it. Either way, it would be awesome.
Oohhh, Sexy girlfriend!

Tyris and Cortle

Postby Tyris and Cortle » Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:51 pm UTC

What's this, Randall? Referencing a long-ago strip? You want to be careful, lest the dreaded beast Continuity find and devour you. :wink:
And Stent!
You can't look dignified when you're having fun.

Nexus_1101

Postby Nexus_1101 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:56 pm UTC

now that is cool.
HOSTING -> Heroquest
:idea: CHAOS BONUS :idea:

Code: Select all

IF (NOTFORUMGAME()) {
    postcount.add(1);
}

PatrickRsGhost

Postby PatrickRsGhost » Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:05 pm UTC

I wish I had one of these a few years ago. I lived in a duplex in what seemed to be a seedy part of town. There were a lot of duplexes and quads nearby, all of them rentals. I can't count the number of times cars have driven by with their bass turned up so loud, the whole house vibrated.

I remember my ex-roommate and I countering the music being played in the apartment that was above ours. A mother and her teenage son lived above us after the guy that lived there when we moved in, moved out. The mother worked the late shift at Waffle House. Her son was a teenager who was an Eminem wannabe.

My CD collection consisted of mostly Classic Rock and Classical music. My ex-roommate's collection consisted of mostly Country and current Rock/Pop, as well as a bit of Rap/Hip Hop, mainly Eminem.

The son always had friends over, and they played the Rap/Hip Hop music at very loud levels, sometimes in the middle of the night. My friend and I would counter this with either a Classic Rock CD, or better yet, a Country CD, or tune the receiver on my stereo to a Country station. I had several local stations preset, including a couple of Country stations. We'd also tune to the Classic Rock station from time to time.

The mother wasn't as bad, I think mainly because she slept most of the day, even on the weekends. I only recall two or three times she had her music turned up loud, which was Country. We countered this with either Rap/Hip Hop, or we'd tune the receiver to the local Alternative/New Rock station. Within minutes of having done so they'd turn their music down, so we did the same. What followed afterwards was anywhere between 15 minutes to several hours of peace and quiet.

If this comic was around back then, or if I knew about it back then (2002-2004), I think I would have pulled something similar. I think I would have played the selections in the comic, or worse, Cher's "Believe" or something by Ace of Base.

There's always "Dragostea Din Tei"...
PRG

An important message for you:

dazomby

Postby dazomby » Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:34 pm UTC

Sub-sonic sound waves?
Now that's a challenge.

SirOmega
Location: Bright light city gonna set my soul, gonna set my soul on fire...

Postby SirOmega » Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:03 pm UTC

I so want one of those. The punk-ass neighbor kid likes to have sex with his gf in his car with the bass turned up to cover up the noise at like 1AM. This would eloquently solve my problem of bass waking me up...

macronencer

Postby macronencer » Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:11 pm UTC

dazomby wrote:Sub-sonic sound waves?
Now that's a challenge.

Well, you know what I meant! :roll:

PatrickRsGhost

Postby PatrickRsGhost » Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:19 pm UTC

SirOmega wrote:I so want one of those. The punk ass-neighbor kid likes to have sex with his gf in his car with the bass turned up to cover up the noise at like 1AM. This would eloquently solve my problem of bass waking me up...

Fix'd.
PRG

Domovoi

Postby Domovoi » Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:33 pm UTC

SirOmega wrote:I so want one of those. The punk-ass neighbor kid likes to have sex with his gf in his car with the bass turned up to cover up the noise at like 1AM. This would eloquently solve my problem of bass waking me up...

Just glue his locks shut and flatten his tires when the windows are fogged up. That way he'll quickly come up with another location for his shennanigans, without knowing it was you.

aerojad
Wall O' AWESOME

Postby aerojad » Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:04 pm UTC

it wouldn't be able to blow out someone's voice though, would it?

the_inq

Postby the_inq » Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:05 pm UTC

What you people apparently meant was "infrasonic". Ah..the majig of latin prefixes!
" Nein, ich wollte kein Vereinfacher sein, und so verkomplizierte ich die einfachsten Dinge."

Becher, Prosa 156

Dft

Postby Dft » Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:06 pm UTC

Rook wrote:
Dft wrote:

You lie.

...You need glasses, and new batteries for your hearing aid. Once you've done that, have a second look at the video. This is not /b/, lying about such a thing would be too inbred and pointless.

PatrickRsGhost wrote:There's always "Dragostea Din Tei"...

Ahaha.. Evil :-D

plasticsuperhero

Postby plasticsuperhero » Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:17 pm UTC

bsx

Postby bsx » Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:19 pm UTC

If someone with more time and knowledge than I would work on developing this as a car mountable unit, I would gladly support said project monetarily.

As for good music to counter attack the common asshole blasting his, I find Fortuna from Carmina Burana to be just right. It's on the edge of everyone's memory from it's repetitive use in movies, but most don't know it in its original form. Psychological warfare is not just for the military.

space_raptor

Postby space_raptor » Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:23 pm UTC

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oe3FG4EOgyU

^^ That is the most annoying song of all time. It was number one in Germany when I was there. Number one. I am serious. There were club remixes and everything.
The drinking will continue until morale improves.

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:48 pm UTC

Have not read the thread, have not diluted my initial reaction to this comic. All I have to say is

YES. YES. DEAR SWEET JEBUS YES. THE CLASSHOLE STRIKES AGAIN!

I wish there was an equivalent device for the people who sit next to you in the library or computer lab or public transit with their obnoxious rap or metal blasting out of their headphones or earbuds that do nothing to block the sound.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

Catdrake

Postby Catdrake » Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:26 pm UTC

Someone post this on the mythbusters site. They're starved for good material and i'd like to believe such a device is possible. And if anyone can build it, it'll be those guys.

I understand that there is some music that needs to be loud to sound right. I call it the Music Volume Threshold... it's the range of volume where you can hear all the parts and experience the music properly. (But let's not get into that little topic right now... i'll never stop.) However, instances like this are just someone being an asshole, because that music doesn't exist to be listened to. It's a set of pounding bass beats designed to be played in your car so you can do this level of assholism. Therefore, the only proper response is to return fire. I keep a few CDs on hand for just such situations. I've got a few things by dragonforce for drowning 'em out (it's fun if you can make it so they hear yours over theirs in this situation... earplugs recommended)... and i also have a cd filled with parody music of various styles for a more bastardly response. Nothing like interrupting someone blasting a rap song with a rendition of White and Nerdy. The looks on their faces are priceless.

AerialSteamCarriage

Postby AerialSteamCarriage » Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:27 pm UTC

space_raptor wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oe3FG4EOgyU

^^ That is the most annoying song of all time. It was number one in Germany when I was there. Number one. I am serious. There were club remixes and everything.

:shock: :shock: I would probably kill myself if I had to listen to that.
"Shnee Shni Shnupi, Shnupi Shnupi Shnup." GET IT OUT OF MY HEAD!!
Spoiler:
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:I read AerialSteamCarriage's username as "AnallySteamedCabbages".
GENERATION 20: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation.

russianspy1234

Postby russianspy1234 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:37 pm UTC

plasticsuperhero wrote:Yatta?

yatta really only works with the video

macronencer

Postby macronencer » Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:55 pm UTC

the_inq wrote:What you people apparently meant was "infrasonic". Ah..the majig of latin prefixes!

All I can say is...

D'OH!
:oops:

I sit corrected.

phobiac

Postby phobiac » Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:58 pm UTC

I thought of something similar to this that, unfortunately, I can only figure out how to make work for radio. You know those FM transmitters that they sell for mp3 players? In my experience they are crap for quality, as FCC regulations have limited them to a broadcast of what seems like three centimeters. I've heard of people modifying them so they are able to completely take over a frequency over a decent distance, in one case all it took was the removal of one resistor. Apparently you can also buy "whole-house" transmitters but I have no idea how well those work. Anyway, my idea was to combine a more powerful FM transmitter to something that could cycle it through all available frequencies and play two or three seconds of no sound on each one. Once you find the radio station the bass-blasting-butthole is using, you then use any audio source to replace what they are listening too.

PatrickRsGhost

Postby PatrickRsGhost » Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:02 pm UTC

phobiac wrote:I thought of something similar to this that, unfortunately, I can only figure out how to make work for radio. You know those FM transmitters that they sell for mp3 players? In my experience they are crap for quality, as FCC regulations have limited them to a broadcast of what seems like three centimeters. I've heard of people modifying them so they are able to completely take over a frequency over a decent distance, in one case all it took was the removal of one resistor. Apparently you can also buy "whole-house" transmitters but I have no idea how well those work. Anyway, my idea was to combine a more powerful FM transmitter to something that could cycle it through all available frequencies and play two or three seconds of no sound on each one. Once you find the radio station the bass-blasting-butthole is using, you then use any audio source to replace what they are listening too.

The problem with that is more than likely the basshole is listening to a CD or some other source of music, not the radio.
PRG

Catdrake

Postby Catdrake » Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:35 pm UTC

Yeah. Normally, it's specific music designed for this purpose. I swear there's a CD out there entitled Endlessly Repetitive Bass Notes To Be An Asshole To.

orkybash

Postby orkybash » Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:41 pm UTC

Snoochies wrote:I love doing that! I usually use "Ride of the Valkyries" or "Lux Aeterna (from Requiem for a Dream)." I'll have to try "Fates" next time!

One of my friends and I did this with Rite of Spring once. Oh the funny looks... one of these days I'll have to pull out some serialism :twisted:

On a more on-topic note, wouldn't this be way trickier than the the comic seems to imply? Enough precision would be required that you would probably have to adjust for the speed of sound (so some sort of range-finding would be needed); you'd also be using data from the previous loop of the bass line, so you'd need to either detect or manually determine when the loop restarts (not that hard, but still a complication) and use data from the previous loop, transmitted just before the sound plays from the original source (again to account for the speed of sound)... am I over-engineering?

csd

Postby csd » Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:50 pm UTC

I liked the reference to the other strip in the alt text the most.

You're supposed to blast Otarie!
Give me a pickle, and make it pink for the festivities!

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”