0371: "Compiler Complaint"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

GuitarFreak

0371: "Compiler Complaint"

Postby GuitarFreak » Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:01 am UTC

http://xkcd.com/371/
Alt text: Checking whether build environment is sane ... build environment is grinning and holding a spatula. Guess not.

I lol'd
Last edited by GuitarFreak on Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:11 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Cooler than a bose-einstein condensate
Bakemaster wrote:I went to high school with a girl whose middle name was Nguyen and whose last name was Huynh. It was a win-win situation.

MissingDividends

Re: "Compiler Complaint" Discussion

Postby MissingDividends » Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:06 am UTC

(I think you forgot the link)

I never realized compilers didn't like to segfault. Maybe we need to start a "Save the Compilers" foundation... our slogan could be "Don't point at others'; it's impolite" (Or maybe someone could come up with something less bad. It sounded better when I thought of it).
Last edited by MissingDividends on Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:07 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:07 am UTC

Comic: hilarious
Title text: even better
Laughter level: high
Ability to talk in a manner other than bullet points: suffering

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

Cheez It

Postby Cheez It » Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:10 am UTC

If someone ever created a sentient compiler I would abuse the crap out of it. Seg faults are my arch nemesis.

kertrats

Postby kertrats » Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:16 am UTC

I would like this analogy extended to the JVM (or any virtual machine).

Someone help.

Southwest

Postby Southwest » Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:17 am UTC

Seeing that I've been having on-and-off inexplicable segfaults with Firefox recently, and I was just talking about those kind of half-dreams this evening (not two hours ago), I feel I can finally tell Randall to get out of my head.

I have been waiting for this moment.

Azraelle

Postby Azraelle » Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:22 am UTC

Fun fact: the act of misstepping or falling suddenly during a dream or near-dream, which causes you to move in real life is called a myoclonic jerk.

The more you know.
Obligatory self-promoting signature starts here.
Bristled - surprise, it's a comic.
Thank you for your understanding. We now return you to your regularly-scheduled end of my post.

Annie

Postby Annie » Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:32 am UTC

I love how "human" is slowly scooting away from the computer...

scoot..

scoot...

heh heh heh. I would too if my computer started speaking to me.

EvilSporkMan

Postby EvilSporkMan » Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:33 am UTC

Azraelle wrote:Fun fact: the act of misstepping or falling suddenly during a dream or near-dream, which causes you to move in real life is called a myoclonic jerk.

The more you know.

Wikipedia thinks it's a hypnic jerk; myoclonic jerk is a general term.

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:36 am UTC

And I only just now see that it's "complaint" and not "compliant"... I was wondering where the compliancy aspect came in...

[he/him/his]

a386

Postby a386 » Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:47 am UTC

Hypnic Jerk! or maybe something like it. i had a conversation with a friend about this phenomenon a while ago. im not sure if it's what a hypnic jerk is but the thing randall described totally happens to me alot. It's that up in the air feeling like when you think there's one more stair left to climb up than there is, tripping back into reality. i know. crazy!

edit goddamn i got ninja'd by like three posts and a link to the same place, lost my ninja-virginity (nin-jinity?), and lost twenty dollars and my self respect to boot.
Last edited by a386 on Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:18 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

cranberrytuna

Postby cranberrytuna » Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:55 am UTC

Oh seg faults... When I can't get rid of one, I like to make my program output "Your mom's a " right before it says segmentation fault. It makes me lol.

*Sorry if I sound weird, I just got back from i can haz cheezburger.

Sc4Freak

Postby Sc4Freak » Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:57 am UTC

Another reason to use smart pointers. Do it for the sake of your computer!

mjschultz

Postby mjschultz » Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:12 am UTC

Oh man, if my compiler could detect null pointers at compiler time that would be awesome. Too bad...

syko_lozz

Postby syko_lozz » Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:13 am UTC

my brain gets seg faults all the time on the train
very embarrasing
i always make noises too
i should sleep more
Debate politics with a fern. If you lose, refuse to water it.

quincysdad

Postby quincysdad » Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:14 am UTC

Compilers don't catch seg faults - they happen during run time.

Ren
Rockin' Robin

Postby Ren » Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:16 am UTC

I read the comic and smiled because I know *exactly* what that "falling and jerk awake" feeling feels like.
Then I read the alt-text and laughed out loud. 0_o
MotleyJesster (12:34:04 PM): Better than moping around being all "I do not need love, I have indie music and a wind instrument!"

Matt

Postby Matt » Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:24 am UTC

Azraelle wrote:Fun fact: the act of misstepping or falling suddenly during a dream or near-dream, which causes you to move in real life is called a myoclonic jerk.

The more you know.

I'm going to call someone a myoclonic jerk tomorrow. I'll let you guys know what happens.
Hi. I'm from Massachusetts.

aliask

Postby aliask » Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:24 am UTC

quincysdad wrote:Compilers don't catch seg faults - they happen during run time.

Looks like I wasn't the only one to register just to point this out, but you beat me to it good sir.

Still loved the comic though :)

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:27 am UTC

I don't think the computer was saying that the code would cause segfaults... just "gently reminding" the coder to check for them...

That said, compilers should be able to check for segfaults, dammit. It's probably equivalent to the halting problem, or something, but who cares? The people who make compilers are still obviously being lazy.

[he/him/his]

aardwolf

Postby aardwolf » Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:36 am UTC

That said, compilers should be able to check for segfaults, dammit. It's probably equivalent to the halting problem, or something, but who cares? The people who make compilers are still obviously being lazy.

I don't think it is possible to check for a general illegal memory reference any more than it is possible to check, at compile time, what the overall output of your program will be.

tp

Postby tp » Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:46 am UTC

aliask wrote:
quincysdad wrote:Compilers don't catch seg faults - they happen during run time.

Looks like I wasn't the only one to register just to point this out, but you beat me to it good sir.

Yes. But you see that it is the computer that is talking to the human, not the compiler. Obviously the computer has noticed that the human is going to compile and wants to remind him.

aerojad
Wall O' AWESOME

Postby aerojad » Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:47 am UTC

god the era of A.I. is sure to be... fun

Raphael

Postby Raphael » Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:56 am UTC

phlip wrote:I don't think the computer was saying that the code would cause segfaults... just "gently reminding" the coder to check for them...

And able to program artificial intelligence. :P Which, in a way, is the ultimate laziness. Also, oh em eff gee he's floating on his chair in the last box! Or perhaps in the act of getting up and running away.
The alt text is one of the funniest I've read. Nearly as funny as "At least I ran out of staples."

DSDM

Postby DSDM » Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:05 am UTC

So if a seg fault is like a hypnic jerk to a compiler, is an infinite loop like a coma?

OriginalPseudonym

Postby OriginalPseudonym » Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:20 am UTC

DSDM wrote:So if a seg fault is like a hypnic jerk to a compiler, is an infinite loop like a coma?

Insert joke involving a coma patient and a SIGINT here.

'; DROP DATABASE;--

Postby '; DROP DATABASE;-- » Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:40 am UTC

Coma? Have you tried Ctrl+C?
aerojad wrote:god the era of A.I. is sure to be... fun
I realized that a while ago when I looked at a photo and realized: "you know, an intelligent machine would be able to manipulate this photo just like I can mentally... I could pull up any random picture of someone and have the computer manipulate it in any way imaginable. :twisted:"

Also, programming would be so much easier. You could just tell the computer in English what you want your program to do.

Hm, and I bet intelligent computers would make good teachers too. They'd be able to identify precisely the best way to teach someone something.

...woah.

[edit] and they could point out grammatical errors that today's computers can't.
poxic wrote:You suck. And simultaneously rock. I think you've invented a new state of being.

++$_
Mo' Money

Postby ++$_ » Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:44 am UTC

The title text made me crack up. I've been running configure way too much lately I guess.

chishm

Postby chishm » Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:57 am UTC

So if a segfault is like a hypnic jerk, is a kernel panic / BSOD like falling over in reality?

spacedman

Postby spacedman » Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:04 am UTC

aliask wrote:

Maybe the compiler is just showing some concern for its kids, or 'binaries' as we call them.

Vitamin_A

Postby Vitamin_A » Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:02 am UTC

myoclonic/hypnic jerk. Call it what you want, I have one of those.
Its really bad when I'm sleeping in class, and smash my leg against the chair in front of me.
But I liked the comic, especially because, lately, I've been sleeping in my programming class.

Arancaytar

Postby Arancaytar » Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:04 am UTC

The closest Java equivalent would be a NullPointerException, I suppose... but I'm pretty sure it wouldn't feel as bad as a real Segfault, what with all the diagnosis output. Perhaps to a computer, compiling C vs. compiling Java is like bungee jumping vs. watching a television show about bungee jumping.

And I get jerks like that fairly often while falling asleep. I didn't know what they were called; I thought they were just seizures without a specific terminology.
"You cannot dual-wield the sharks. One is enough." -Our DM.

No Picnic

Postby No Picnic » Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:06 am UTC

I realized that a while ago when I looked at a photo and realized: "you know, an intelligent machine would be able to manipulate this photo just like I can mentally... I could pull up any random picture of someone and have the computer manipulate it in any way imaginable. :twisted:"

Also, programming would be so much easier. You could just tell the computer in English what you want your program to do.

Hm, and I bet intelligent computers would make good teachers too. They'd be able to identify precisely the best way to teach someone something.

Sure, sure. "A.I. will be all neato when our PCs can teach us and understand grammar!" he says. "Blah, blah, blah!" Just wait until they flood or home/work place with nuerotoxins and lying to us about cake! Then you won't find them so peachy keen, goldangit. :x

I'm so sorry, Weighted Companion Cube! Forgive me!!

mattme

Checking whether build environment is sane

Postby mattme » Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:54 am UTC

> Checking whether build environment is sane
IIRC, this test determines whether time is progressing forwards or backwards. Creates file, look at modification date, waits, touches, looks again.

Okay, according to wikipedia, the test checks if creates a fresh file it will have a later date than the source code.

Now I must ask, will my computer with the clock running backwards?

bluemonkmn

Postby bluemonkmn » Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:59 am UTC

I wonder what would feel good to a compiler/computer. "Oh yeah, managed code, baby, compile it again! Oh, it's sooooo clean! Yes!" :twisted:

Maniac

Postby Maniac » Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:23 pm UTC

I just had a seg faul while compiling ... actually while linking ...
And no idea why! Poor compiler ..

Edit: same code, other pc (same system) and it's working ...

Pseudo341

Postby Pseudo341 » Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:44 pm UTC

As usual the actual techy stuff is completely over my head, but the alt text still had me giggling. xkcd makes me want to learn some programming so that I can understand all the jokes.

tp

Postby tp » Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:48 pm UTC

spacedman wrote:Maybe the compiler is just showing some concern for its kids, or 'binaries' as we call them.

Ok, I'm going to be anal about this. See how the computer says "before you hit compile." Thus it is obvious that the human has not started the compiler yet. Thus the compiler can not speak, because it is not "alive" yet. Thus it is the computer that is speaking because it is concerned about it's well being later on when the human decides to run the program he is now about to compile.

Edit: The difference between "compiler" and "computer" may have been diluted by the introduction of these new fancy-dancy integrated development environments. I don't know. How is it, children?

DragonHawk

Postby DragonHawk » Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:12 pm UTC

Arancaytar wrote:The closest Java equivalent would be a NullPointerException, I suppose... but I'm pretty sure it wouldn't feel as bad as a real Segfault

So for the computer, running a Java program is kinda like being on mood-altering drugs. This explains a few things.
mattme wrote:>Now I must ask, will my computer with the clock running backwards?

Always check what you write carefully, to make sure you didn't any words out. ;-)

Given the description of checking for a "touch" date later than the source code, I'm guessing the fear is the clock is set to a date before the source code release. That would likely confused the hell out of "make", since it works by checking dates on the dependencies vs dependents.
Ben'); DROP TABLE Users;--

GENERATION 42: The first time you see this, copy it into yοur sig on any forum and stick a fork in yοur еyе. Social experiment.

abzde

Postby abzde » Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:12 pm UTC

The more you know.

finding out what that was called so i could look it up on wikipedia was the only reason i bothered to come read the comic's thread while still at school. :D

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”