0374: "Journal"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Girl™
This is what I think of you.

Re: "Journal" Discussion

Postby Girl™ » Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:12 pm UTC

Um. Did anyone bother to notice that there's nothing in that comic that confirms man-in-hat actually does that, and didn't just make the situation up on the fly to fuck with his friend? Just sayin'...
You don't make them touch!

art2chokeheart

"Journal" Discussion

Postby art2chokeheart » Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:35 pm UTC

Im the girl who falls for guys who do this.... so I started doing the same thing.<3 8)

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:07 am UTC

Girl™ wrote:Um. Did anyone bother to notice that there's nothing in that comic that confirms man-in-hat actually does that, and didn't just make the situation up on the fly to fuck with his friend? Just sayin'...

I know I said this in the car, but I totally like this interpretation better, because it implies that BHG was fucking with sensitive-guy's patronizing little fantasy of some "shy girl" just waiting around on trains to fall madly in love with him because he deigned to look up at her from his journal filled with omgdeepthoughts.

It's so much funnier that way.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

The Mighty Thesaurus
In your library, eating your students

Postby The Mighty Thesaurus » Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:29 am UTC

This interpretation is win.
LE4dGOLEM wrote:your ability to tell things from things remains one of your skills.
Weeks wrote:Not only can you tell things from things, you can recognize when a thing is a thing

Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

JayDee

Postby JayDee » Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:39 am UTC

Girl™ wrote:Um. Did anyone bother to notice that there's nothing in that comic that confirms man-in-hat actually does that, and didn't just make the situation up on the fly to fuck with his friend? Just sayin'...
Journal 2 does seem to indicate otherwise, though.
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:I believe that everything can and must be joked about.
Hawknc wrote:I like to think that he hasn't left, he's just finally completed his foe list.

Girl™

Postby Girl™ » Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:50 am UTC

Yeah, true. But most of the comments were made before that comic came out.

...And who's to say that Black Hat Guy didn't make it up on the spot and then think, "Hey, that'd be pretty fun, I think I'll do that"? And then he proceeded to get pwned. XD

Okay, definitely overthinking this. Time to stop.

Mo0man

Postby Mo0man » Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:09 am UTC

Can anyone else here blush at will? cause I certainly can't

edit.. actually, I should post this in the journal two discussion.
causa major dormuc vulnero ut ovis goatee
I'm number 20075. Remember that. It's important

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:47 pm UTC

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:This interpretation is win.

"Oh, those girls you always fantasize about finding? I find them all the time. And I break them with my cruelty. That's why you never find them! MWAHAHAHAH"

Girl wrote:Yeah, true. But most of the comments were made before that comic came out.

...And who's to say that Black Hat Guy didn't make it up on the spot and then think, "Hey, that'd be pretty fun, I think I'll do that"? And then he proceeded to get pwned. XD

Or, as someone posited in the Journal 2 discussion, the guy in Journal2 wasn't even BHG, it was just one of his numerous imitators, thus demonstrating what *actually* happens when you pull that shit.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

The Mighty Thesaurus

Postby The Mighty Thesaurus » Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:57 pm UTC

"Someone" being Jordan's alt.
LE4dGOLEM wrote:your ability to tell things from things remains one of your skills.
Weeks wrote:Not only can you tell things from things, you can recognize when a thing is a thing

Girl™

Postby Girl™ » Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:53 pm UTC

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:"Someone" being Jordan's alt.

Aren't we all Jordan, though, deep down?

The Mighty Thesaurus

Postby The Mighty Thesaurus » Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:25 pm UTC

There's a piece of Jordan inside you, at least.

Kalos

Postby Kalos » Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:10 pm UTC

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:There's a piece of Jordan inside you, at least.

Not me, I finally saved up enough for that surgery.

I think people are taking this comic way too seriously. The odds of running into a girl who will immediately fall in love with a romance/romantic comedy stereotype on a train is rather unlikely at best. Of course nobody would like it happening to them... most people also wouldn't want to get hit by a truck. I personally really liked this comic for poking fun at unrealistic romantic ideals.

JayDee

Postby JayDee » Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:21 am UTC

Girl™ wrote:
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:"Someone" being Jordan's alt.
Aren't we all Jordan, though, deep down?
I know I am.

Damn people stealing my name, even if it assumedly happened before I was born and is slightly misspelt.
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:I believe that everything can and must be joked about.
Hawknc wrote:I like to think that he hasn't left, he's just finally completed his foe list.

Girl™

Postby Girl™ » Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:27 pm UTC

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:There's a piece of Jordan inside you, at least.

And inside your mom. (He has two. It's really creepy.)

Dooreatoe

Re: Journal Discussion

Postby Dooreatoe » Sun Feb 03, 2008 5:34 am UTC

petsfed wrote:I'll be sure to wear body armor the next time I read Camus in public. It's not that I'm typically that much of a jerk, just that I was in a sort of mood where watching a girl cry and fish for attention right in front of me did not elicit any kind of empathy from me.

If she wasn't crying and I wasn't in a deeply cynical mood, I probably would've talked to her. But I didn't, and that's that.

And this right here, people, is one of the last attitudes you should ever exhibit.

muteKi
Angry is too weak a term. Try "Fluffy".

Postby muteKi » Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:54 am UTC

savage wrote:2) If you really think about it, Black Hat Man is just a tad more 'cartoony' than the rest of the xkcd crew. So in order to be humorous, the subjects of his cruelty have to be viewed through that framework. Randall builds sympathy for the girl and then stomps. To give an example: I have a feeling Bugs Bunny cartoons would be a lot less funny if at the beginning for about a minute and a half they showed Elmer Fudd and his family worrying about a meager food supply for the winter, then Elmer dons his hat, kisses his wife on the cheek, and goes out to hunt for supper for their hungry children. And then Bugs Bunny beats him up for the next 10 minutes.

I thought that was the basic premise of the Sylvester and Tweety stuff, with Sylvester and his son eating fish skeletons they scavenged out of a dumpster.

Govneh wrote:
AySz88 wrote:I don't know what kind of upbringing you had (hey, you brought it up first), but I've never found this sort of thing funny. It appears that others agree. I think you're describing two completely different things. Teasing among your friends is normal when young. Being intentionally mean towards a friendly stranger is totally different.

Horribly sick and twisted one. Actually, I'm usually on the receiving end of this kind of behavior (still haven't figured out why) even into adulthood when it becomes less cruel and more just teasing, but I still find this funny. But, lo, maybe it's bred of my hatred of people trying to start conversations with me on the bus. Strangers scare me. :( However, such is life and, doing what I do, I have to interact anyways. Consider it more a laugh at myself if nothing else.

Aye. Such is why one of my perhaps always-to-be-unfulfilled dreams is to become an unredeeming asshole. But unfortunately I have to live with the consequences of my actions.

Anyway, I think I wouldn't be too put off, like some people said (but what do I know, I'm a guy), and just feel maybe a bit awkward for a few minutes, thus making most of the assholery weighted toward the response to the other guy (or girl, I suppose, would be more appropriate then?). Though perhaps this is just that latent assholery manifesting itself.

But maybe I'm lying to myself and such an event would throw me into a deep funk for the rest of day, if not months, and the only thing that would help would be to call all my friends around and have a BAAAAWWWbecue. Because, you know, someone in real life actually had the gall to roll her eyes at me (I am assuming a difference in sex for the classhole as well).

Also, the whole stealing cars in the middle of the Super Bowl thing is apparently very unfulfilling. There's nobody out on the streets to impress with your new fancy ride. I may just have to do this one (the journal thing) to add meaning to my life.

Kalos

Postby Kalos » Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:58 pm UTC

muteKi wrote:I thought that was the basic premise of the Sylvester and Tweety stuff, with Sylvester and his son eating fish skeletons they scavenged out of a dumpster.

However, in these comics, Sylvester and his son appear (along with many other garbage-scavenging characters) content with their fish-skeleton diet until they spot Tweety in his (her?) birdcage by the window. And many of these cartoons actually had Sylvester living in the same home as Tweety, implying that he was properly fed and taken care of, but just merely greedy.

'; DROP DATABASE;--

Postby '; DROP DATABASE;-- » Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:26 am UTC

How about Wile E Coyote eating tin cans? He may do a decent job of fooling himself into thinking he enjoys it, until he tries to actually eat one...

Either way, in all 3 scenarios, the character in question (Bugs/Tweety/Roadrunner) is trying to avoid being eaten. That pretty much justifies their actions. I honestly don't think I'd be upset if I hurt your feelings by refusing to become your dinner.
poxic wrote:You suck. And simultaneously rock. I think you've invented a new state of being.

AvalonXQ

Postby AvalonXQ » Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:36 pm UTC

Your.Master wrote:
Story Weaver wrote:I choose to believe that the shy girl on the train is so upset that she doesn't look where she's going and bumps into a nice guy on the way out of the station. He happens to be reading the same book as her, and they live happily ever afterwards.

What? It could happen in the xkcd universe, and probably did.

I further choose to believe that said guy she bumps into is, in fact, me. Also, she fits my ideal in terms of personality, intelligence, and looks; furthermore, she shares with me the secret of everlasting youth. Also, she has a pet dragon and can set mimes on fire with her mind.

But then, I guess all that is implied by "happily ever afterwards".

I wonder how many points it would be in GURPS to be able to set mimes on fire with your mind?

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”