0374: "Journal"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

pKp

Re: Journal Discussion

Postby pKp » Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:16 am UTC

This made me sad. Probably because I'm the kind of guy who develops 15-minutes crushes on nerdy-looking girls during bus rides.
Well. Maybe I should start a journal :mrgreen:
Experience is a thing you can't have for nothing - Oscar wilde

cathrl

Postby cathrl » Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:37 am UTC

Uh, guys? Especially those who think this and variants is a neat trick?

She's not alienated or confused by you suddenly shifting messages, and it certainly doesn't last all day. She just thinks you're a prat. You'll only be remembered for more than three minutes if she wants someone to laugh about with friends later.

So...nah, this one didn't do it for me. Except to confirm that the guy in the hat is a prat with a way overinflated opinion of his own importance to total strangers.

VectorZero

Postby VectorZero » Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:38 am UTC

WendelScardua wrote:
VectorZero wrote:WRT todays actions, it seems a departure from man-with-hat's usual MO by initiating an offensive event, rather than responding to an obnoxious action.

Nerd Sniping doesn't count ?

That's not offensive :)
Van wrote:Fireballs don't lie.

soccerray

Postby soccerray » Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:08 pm UTC

I haven't laughed so hard at an XKCD for a while now. That was sick. Sick sick sick sick-I will try it later. I feel violated and at the same time empowered.

Kewangji
Has Been Touched

Postby Kewangji » Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:21 pm UTC

neon wrote:"Classhole" is an oxymoron. There is no such thing as a classy asshole and being a sociopath is nothing to aspire to.
You take the internets too seriously.
If you like my words sign up for my newsletter, Airport Tattoo Parlour: https://tinyletter.com/distantstations

The Great Hippo wrote:Nuclear bombs are like potato chips, you can't stop after just *one*

Kabann

Postby Kabann » Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:25 pm UTC

How wonderfully polarizing this comic has been. I for one can't get enough of Man-in-Hat's random misanthropy.

Cheers.
My goal in life is to have money, power, fame, wisdom, and love.
So far, I've got a sense of humor.
It's a good start.

syko_lozz

Postby syko_lozz » Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:28 pm UTC

slightly off topic...
cant stand people reading over my shoulder on the train. frustrating
so now i more carefully choose my articles for the train trip- eg ones with gross pictures of splenomegaly etc
hehe
Debate politics with a fern. If you lose, refuse to water it.

Eldan

Postby Eldan » Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:19 pm UTC

syko_lozz wrote:slightly off topic...
so now i more carefully choose my articles for the train trip- eg ones with gross pictures of splenomegaly etc
hehe

That's the only thing that would make me read over someone's shoulder, actually. But I'm a biologist, so I don't count.

bbctol
Super Deluxe Forum Title of DESTINYâ„¢

Postby bbctol » Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:26 pm UTC

Oh geez. Hat-man has reached a new pinnacle of classholery. This isn't just a kick in the nuts to normal people, this is a kick in the nuts to people who read xkcd.

Arancaytar

Postby Arancaytar » Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:32 pm UTC

syko_lozz wrote:slightly off topic...
hehe

I have had this happen to me with a laptop during Nanowrimo before, and managed to change the scene I was working on to one where a character told another one to stop reading over his shoulder.

However, there was no reaction, and in the end it turned out that finding out the direction somebody next to you is looking in without turning your head and staring right at them is really guesswork at best. He was looking out of the window to the other side. :P
"You cannot dual-wield the sharks. One is enough." -Our DM.

Jack21222

Postby Jack21222 » Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:38 pm UTC

neon wrote:
And I hope that you get everything that is coming to you in life. Whatever, it's your choice.

"Classhole" is an oxymoron. There is no such thing as a classy asshole and being a sociopath is nothing to aspire to.

Lighten up, Francis.
broken_escalator wrote:The Mako is powered by the rage of the physics it denies.

visel

Postby visel » Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:56 pm UTC

HAHA awesome, as soon as I read the comic, it reminded me of this video I saw of how to talk someone on the subway/tube/train.

http://www.videojug.com/film/how-to-cha ... us-or-tube

some tips I have yet to use in real life :(.

luketheduke
Sour Kraut

Postby luketheduke » Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:01 pm UTC

- beware, following post is in stretches absolutely serious -
- and the argumentation has a hole. please read the whole post before starting a flame against me. kthx. -

You hate the concept of black-hat-man (who is a real black hat :) ) beacause he seems to act antisocial? you deny the image of a "classhole" because it implicates witty but antisocial behaviour?
Well, I'll tell you: Society in itself is antisocial. It clusters into small groups, with all members relying on their group for compensation of their own inferiority (complexes, that is). And to confirm their own strength, those clusters (some people liek to call them "subcultures") have to turn against each other.
This results in a lot of violence and grief.
And the classhole is the concept of the lone rogue. Defying all principles of classical inner-society-antisociality, he is antisocial on his own. While the groups bully individuals, he takes it back to them, attacking members of those groups.
And he does it without getting his own hands dirty, without leaving anything behinde that incriminates him (see the "bass-speaker incident"). In a way, he is the professional killer. Ruthless, efficient, enjoying his work.

The difference maybe is that he admits it. He admits that he is acting anti-socially. and this makes his character much stronger and his (proclaimedly non-existent) ethics (of pure evil) much truer than those of those people who work for their own group.
He gains nothing out of it except fun; they gain their self-respect out of it. While they both do damage, the latter do it purely for egoism. This makes him better than them.
And with "them" I am not only referring to the classical schoolyard bullies, youth gangs, etc., but especially at the normal society about 80% of our population consists of (rough guess).

The only sad part - and the hole in my whole argumentation - is that he DOES turn his wits against individuals, and not just arrogant, ignorant ones (again, refer to the "bass speaker" incident). Against "shy girls", against "nerds", those people who already are the target of bullying. That makes him a pure asshole.
On the other hand, he does it with great intelligence and great circumference. That makes him a classhole.

But try to see him as a reflection, try to let him remind you of the daily intolerance you - all of you, including me - show every day.

And have fun.

@bbctol: VERY interesting thought. didn't look at it from this viewpoint. It's a kick in the nuts of open-minded, tolerant people. Because they deserve theirs, too. Great thought.
As long as I know how to love / I know I'll stay alive /
'cause I've got all my life to live / and I've got all my love to give / and I'll survive /
I will survive

tgape

Postby tgape » Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:46 pm UTC

IMHO, the classhole is not, in fact, causing much grief to the shy girl on the subway.

The distress she feels, she would feel without him - she would simply pick someone else she wanted to talk to, but not produce the nerve to do so. It might not be on the same subway ride. But she'll have the same experience, with dozens of other people, most of whom are innocent of intending to generate these feelings within her.

However, this will probably not kill her; it will hopefully make her stronger. Eventually, she'll get the nerve to speak to one of these people1. And it will hopefully not be the classhole, because if you think that he was a cad here, just wait until you see how he responds to one of these girls approaching him. (And realize, since he's not your typical asshole, it won't be an abrupt rejection. It would not be describable in a typical three/four-panel comic. Of course, Randal pulls off many comics that couldn't be pulled off in a normal three/four-panel, while using that format; but I think this would take even him more.)

The only true grief he causes anyone in this strip is to stick figure guy, by relating what he does with his journal. Of course, since stick figure guy is like many XKCD readers, it also bothers many XKCD readers...

1 Or, possibly, one of them who cares will speak with her - but that avenue does not yield as much immediate growth for her.

LastOfLancas

Postby LastOfLancas » Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:09 pm UTC

I have one thing to say:
"Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind"

Also, hello everybody.. I am LastOfLancas..

Vanguard

Postby Vanguard » Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:10 pm UTC

I form crushes quickly and I have a journal.

Good time to note that I am still single and never had a high school relationship.

Antimatter Spork

Postby Antimatter Spork » Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:38 pm UTC

MissingDividends wrote:Alt text: And the journal is filled with all the things I'd say to her if I were nice like you. I burn it when it's full.

I don't really see this alt text as the "secret heart" of the classhole. It looks to me like he's just adding another jab at stick figure guy. It's not "things I wish I could say" but "things I would say if I were nice. Which I'm not."
Albert Schweitzer wrote:There are two means of refuge from the misery of life — music and cats.

Master Gunner

Postby Master Gunner » Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:45 pm UTC

I love Man-in-Hat, and this comic does not change that. As somebody previously pointed out, the girl is only going to think he's an asshole, and then completely forget about him. Man-in-Hat knows this, which is what makes him brilliant. His true target was not the girl, but whomever asks him about his journal. That person is the one who is shocked and offended more than the girl, and even if he doesn't meet Man-in-Hat again, he will probably remember that incident far longer than the girl will remember hers. Hence, Man-in-Hat, is a master Classhole, both for his crusade against annoying people, and for the shock he causes in those around them. Everything he does has almost no lasting effects to those that don't deserve it, but someone will always find it funny, or be completely shocked and outraged (which is what Man-in-Hat finds funny). Thus, Man-in-Hat is above the common sociopathic asshole, into a category all of his own.

pinkgothic

Postby pinkgothic » Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:46 pm UTC

I was going to out myself as a freak and say the classhole reminds me of Francisco d'Anconia (and if you know what I mean, you will no doubt now skin me alive for knowing it, too, and not using swearwords in the same sentence, and I will never be able to post again without having the bones in my body broken tenfold), but that I wasn't sure why.

Then I read luketheduke's long post.

Now I know why.
Stuff: own scribblings; favourite mewsic: luxuria & @440; underrated game

MissingDividends

Postby MissingDividends » Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:26 pm UTC

Last edited by MissingDividends on Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:02 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.

Robin S

Postby Robin S » Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:50 pm UTC

petsfed wrote:I did something similar once. I was reading The Stranger, by Camus, when this girl sat down in front of me. She kept turning away as if she was looking for somebody until I finally spoke up.

"Waiting for someone?" I said.

She looked at me with tear soaked eyes "Yeah".

I paused for a moment.

"You should probably sit somewhere they can see you then."

Most evil thing I've ever done.
You, sir, are a bastard.

Edit: to MissingDividends -
You missed http://xkcd.com/12, http://xkcd.com/29, http://xkcd.com/45, http://xkcd.com/64 and http://xkcd.com/77, at least. Note that just because he doesn't say or do anything asshole-ish [in 45 and 77], it doesn't mean it's not the same character.
This is a placeholder until I think of something more creative to put here.

OneLess

Postby OneLess » Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:18 pm UTC

This comic just totally wrecked the quasi-romantic mood I was in.

That being said, it's funny as hell :)
“Observation: Couldn’t see a thing. Conclusion: Dinosaurs.” –Carl Sagan

Last edited by OneLess on Sat Dec 17, 3003 10:35 am, edited 0 time in total.

OneLess

Postby OneLess » Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:20 pm UTC

LastOfLancas wrote:I have one thing to say:
"Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind"

Also, hello everybody.. I am LastOfLancas..

Post in the intro thread or we'll cut yer balls off! 8)

Coin

Postby Coin » Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:26 pm UTC

Ah, now this comic made my day :)
I've been coding for far too long and this was perfect for taking a break and reviving the mind.

It is brilliant in theory, but I'm to nice to ever attempt it.
Besides, I probably wouldn't notice anything around me if I had sat with pad and a pencil on the tube. Let the doodleing commence!
3fj wrote: "You, sir, have been added to my list of deities under 'God of Swedish meat'."

Robin S

Postby Robin S » Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:32 pm UTC

OneLess wrote:Post in the intro thread or we'll cut yer balls off! 8)
No longer true. Also, please don't double-post. :)
This is a placeholder until I think of something more creative to put here.

Pxtl

Postby Pxtl » Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:12 pm UTC

Somehow, this doesn't work as well when you're using a Palm Zire to do your journal.

xquared
Location: canada, but would like to be in the town of Fucking

Postby xquared » Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:47 pm UTC

MissingDividends wrote:Since it looks like a couple people have forgotten about the classhole's previous appearances (and naming), I think we need a list of appearances. Let me know if I missed any (or if you think any I included weren't the classhole).

there was bunch of comics with the black hat guy in it before the introduction of the term "classhole"...
i am pretty sure it still counts as the same black-hat-guy. a rose by any other name would smell as sweet, and the classhole by any other name would be just as much of a classhole.
X_x² ... ò_Ô

neon

Postby neon » Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:13 pm UTC

luketheduke wrote:- beware, following post is in stretches absolutely serious -
- and the argumentation has a hole. please read the whole post before starting a flame against me. kthx. -

You hate the concept of black-hat-man (who is a real black hat :) ) beacause he seems to act antisocial? you deny the image of a "classhole" because it implicates witty but antisocial behaviour?
Well, I'll tell you: Society in itself is antisocial. It clusters into small groups, with all members relying on their group for compensation of their own inferiority (complexes, that is). And to confirm their own strength, those clusters (some people liek to call them "subcultures") have to turn against each other.

I think that you are confused about the meaning of the word "social". "Society in itself is antisocial" is a meaningless statement.

"He gains nothing out of it except fun; they gain their self-respect out of it. While they both do damage, the latter do it purely for egoism. This makes him better than them."

No, it just makes him a sociopath, while they often do believe they are better than others it is an illusion.

"The difference maybe is that he admits it. He admits that he is acting anti-socially."

I don't see that as a virtue.

"He gains nothing out of it except fun; they gain their self-respect out of it."

"Saw" is not a blueprint to moral behavior.
"Light up the darkness."

tradiuz

Postby tradiuz » Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:53 pm UTC

I thought this was hilarious, and next time I'm in a city that I might actually use the public transportation (ie not San Antonio), I might actually give it a go.

I know I'm twisted, and knowing is half the battle.
All My Mushrooms wrote:I'm practicing abstinence until someone offers me sex.

Hemogloben

Postby Hemogloben » Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:17 pm UTC

"Saw" is not a blueprint to moral behavior.

Saw is not a blueprint for anything. It is the house that jack built from such blueprints. And I would argue utterly against some of the things it believes it stands for. Then again it's always possible that jigsaw is sacrificing his own moral goodness to punish others. Hell, I'd say any kind of extremism is against the point, but YMMV.

But, to the point.

It's a comic. And a well written one. Randall has never condoned his actions, only portrayed them.

RaisedByMongrels

Postby RaisedByMongrels » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:27 pm UTC

Well that was depressing. The "class" part of the "classhole" concept seems to be missing from this one.

I know it's just a comic, but the fact that some people think it's funny kind of disturbs me.

Keroppi

Postby Keroppi » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:34 pm UTC

I personally love comics with the classhole, and I love how strangely inventive his antics are.

And although we're all nice people who like to do nice things, I enjoy his evil-osity.

yjester

Postby yjester » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:46 pm UTC

Your.Master wrote:
Story Weaver wrote:I choose to believe that the shy girl on the train is so upset that she doesn't look where she's going and bumps into a nice guy on the way out of the station. He happens to be reading the same book as her, and they live happily ever afterwards.

What? It could happen in the xkcd universe, and probably did.

I further choose to believe that said guy she bumps into is, in fact, me. Also, she fits my ideal in terms of personality, intelligence, and looks; furthermore, she shares with me the secret of everlasting youth. Also, she has a pet dragon and can set mimes on fire with her mind.

But then, I guess all that is implied by "happily ever afterwards".

LOL! But I think that much more important is the secret on how to calibrate Ballmer Peak
GENERATION 19: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

shadowboy

Postby shadowboy » Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:52 pm UTC

JayDee wrote:
Durandal wrote:Nerd story; I started to keep a journal after watching the movie 'The Butterfly Effect'.
Um, a journal is not going to give you the ability to travel through time. Sorry.

That's what you think. I disagree.

OneLess

Postby OneLess » Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:58 pm UTC

Robin S wrote:
OneLess wrote:Post in the intro thread or we'll cut yer balls off! 8)
No longer true. Also, please don't double-post. :)

In that case, it was an intentional joke ;)

And sorry for the double post, I'm used to another forum where a quick double post like that just tacks it onto the end of the first post.

DreamTheEndless

Postby DreamTheEndless » Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:19 pm UTC

Just wanted to let you know that I posted your comic on my blog that no one reads.
http://i-have-a-blog-now.blogspot.com/

I am hotlinking back to you guys, but I can change that if you want. Also - the comic is a link back to the comic page. I scanned the rules and it appears that you don't mind this use of the the comics. Let me know of any changes you want made.

Thanks.

Blue Beta

Postby Blue Beta » Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:41 pm UTC

petsfed wrote:I did something similar once. I was reading The Stranger, by Camus, when this girl sat down in front of me. She kept turning away as if she was looking for somebody until I finally spoke up.

"Waiting for someone?" I said.

She looked at me with tear soaked eyes "Yeah".

I paused for a moment.

"You should probably sit somewhere they can see you then."

Most evil thing I've ever done.

MissingDividends

Postby MissingDividends » Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:00 am UTC

Robin S wrote:Edit: to MissingDividends -
You missed http://xkcd.com/12, http://xkcd.com/29, http://xkcd.com/45, http://xkcd.com/64 and http://xkcd.com/77, at least. Note that just because he doesn't say or do anything asshole-ish [in 45 and 77], it doesn't mean it's not the same character.

xquared wrote:there was bunch of comics with the black hat guy in it before the introduction of the term "classhole"...
i am pretty sure it still counts as the same black-hat-guy. a rose by any other name would smell as sweet, and the classhole by any other name would be just as much of a classhole.

Thanks. (previous post edited)

--MD

Bit101

Postby Bit101 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:03 am UTC

I must do this....Heck, I CAN do this. Unlike that stupid Network comic. Man, i spent three hours trying to set that up. All for naught. *sigh*

Annie

Postby Annie » Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:00 am UTC

Am I the only one who thought this was hot?

I mean on a scale of hotness - it wasn't up there, with, say, spinning in circles to slow the earth's angular momentum...

HOWEVER.

I am... intrigued.

I wonder what this means...

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”