0388: "Fuck Grapefruit"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

IronyandParadox

Re: "Fuck Grapefruit" Discussion

Postby IronyandParadox » Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:47 am UTC

joeframbach wrote:
IronyandParadox wrote:Why does everyone else like bananas? They're so mushy! They ought to be much farther down than that.

Texture and Taste have no correlation for me. I love bananas. Hummus is another delicious food that is not solid.

I love hummus, but you eat hummus with something. It's a dip or a spread. I maintain that if you bite something off, it shouldn't disintegrate if you have it in your mouth a second too long. The texture ruins the taste. (I do like banana smoothies. Drinkable banana. With honey.)

On grapes being mentioned twice: it's seedless vs. seeded, and I agree with the placement. You have to spit out the seeds of seeded grapes.

Damn. Ninja'd not just once or twice, but four times!?
Last edited by IronyandParadox on Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:48 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Forsan et haec olim meminisse iuvabit.

gormster

Postby gormster » Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:47 am UTC

glasnt wrote:Randall seems impressed

Go go peaches!

Haha, that's hilarious. Fruit is apparently the most controversial topic in the world today: the coming US election will be won or lost on Fruit (not Chicken).

And, I think we can all agree: Fuck Canteloupe.
Eddie Izzard wrote:And poetry! Poetry is a lot like music, only less notes and more words.

MightyMouse

Postby MightyMouse » Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:49 am UTC

The concept of 'difficult fruit' raises all kinds of questions. 'Easy fruit' may be more worrying though.

LordOtori

Postby LordOtori » Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:49 am UTC

Watermelon's the best! Ok, so maybe it is a bit difficult but it should definitely be higher on tasty. Otherwise it's an accurate and hilarious chart.

Hollins

Postby Hollins » Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:50 am UTC

Nahhh!

Bananas are far easier than displayed on this graph. Much more tasty too. Bananas do not get your hands sticky, because it provides you with a nice glove to eat it with. I also think that grapefruits should be moved over to the middle in terms of taste. Pomegranates are kind of disgusting.

Paiev

Postby Paiev » Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:51 am UTC

That was what I needed to cheer me up :) This comic was great. Alt-text made me laugh. Of course, I disagree with the positions of half of these on the taste scale, of course, but that'll vary from person to person. I do think that bananas are rather easy, though (although sometimes I end up mangling the top of the banana before actually peeling it).

When I first saw the labels of "easy" and "difficult", combined with the "fuck" in the title of the comic, I thought Randall was talking about something else entirely...

OneLess

Postby OneLess » Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:52 am UTC

IronyandParadox wrote:Why does everyone else like bananas? They're so mushy! They ought to be much farther down than that.

Because they are truly God's fruit:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4yBvvGi_2A

For the record, Ray Comfort is a git.
“Observation: Couldn’t see a thing. Conclusion: Dinosaurs.” –Carl Sagan

Last edited by OneLess on Sat Dec 17, 3003 10:35 am, edited 0 time in total.

benjhuey

Postby benjhuey » Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:53 am UTC

Randall Munroe wrote:Also, I have never liked cantaloupe. It brings down otherwise tasty fruit salads. There, I said it.

Randall... you bastard! :cry:

Dodge the honeydew, if anything.
多么现在棕色母牛?

Tychomonger

Postby Tychomonger » Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:53 am UTC

gormster wrote:Fuck that noise. Pomegranates are delicious.

Hear hear!

Also, the durian fruit should also be waaay down in the botom left. That bastard of a prehistoric fruit is spiky all over and damn near impossible to pick up with your bare hands without injuring yourself, and it stinks to high heaven when you open it. DO NOT open a durian indoors. That smell will linger for hours.

drpantzo

Postby drpantzo » Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:55 am UTC

You should try Texas ruby red grapefruit. They're no easier, but they're MUCH tastier. I regularly buy them, but never the non-ruby grapefruit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grapefruit#History

Ratclaw

Postby Ratclaw » Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:59 am UTC

dr7 wrote:I just wanted to say strawberries are the best thing ever. I would wither and die if the world suddenly lost strawberries.

Seriously, strawberries are way tastier than everything else there. And how can they be more difficult than green apples to eat? They're at least as easy as blueberries and grapes. Maybe. Probably not, now that I think about it, but still... you know what, I'm fine with their position.

GodShapedBullet

Postby GodShapedBullet » Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:00 am UTC

I personally like the grapefruit because it tastes so terrible.

It's like I'm eating suffering for breakfast.

lysandra

Postby lysandra » Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:05 am UTC

Tychomonger wrote:Also, the durian fruit should also be waaay down in the botom left. That bastard of a prehistoric fruit is spiky all over and damn near impossible to pick up with your bare hands without injuring yourself, and it stinks to high heaven when you open it. DO NOT open a durian indoors. That smell will linger for hours.

Opening one definitely takes some skill, but given the strong smell, people either love it or hate it. I like it, but I grew up having it around. *shrugs*

UnderRock

Postby UnderRock » Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:06 am UTC

I can't help but think that Randall may be referring to banana that isn't ripe enough. Those both taste bad and are extremely difficult to open (and by the time they are open, they're all mushed up and gross). But at a certain point bananas are amazing!
...maybe the fact that they have a small window of being delicious is what puts them on the difficult side?

...I never realized how offended I could get over fruit! XD

whomever1

Postby whomever1 » Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:07 am UTC

Obviously, your science is not botany. Coconuts are nuts--not fruits. Or, at least the edible part of them as purchased in a grocery store.

glasnt

Postby glasnt » Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:10 am UTC

Just wait til this comic/blag post are on digg >_<
EXPLOSION++!

slobrummer

Postby slobrummer » Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:15 am UTC

Was I the only one that saw this and instantly thought he was comparing tastiness of fruits to there difficulty level of being... raped. As in the old joke where someone warms up watermelon or what have you and cuts a small hole? That's what I got out of the "Fuck grapefruits". I was like... he made this? really? It's funny and yet so... not expected, then I decided I had to be wrong and sure enough no one else seems to have read it like that.

lysandra

Postby lysandra » Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:16 am UTC

How to open a coconut:

1) poke its eyes out (at least 2 of the 3 germination pores)
2) drain
3) hurl it into the sidewalk until it cracks open

b.i.o
Green is the loneliest number

Postby b.i.o » Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:18 am UTC

Awesome comic and alt text first of all. Although he did forget honeydew :?.

Darcey

Postby Darcey » Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:18 am UTC

Two things:

Someone should really make an application where you can rate each fruit on a scale of -50 to 50 for each category, and then the application averages everyone's ratings together and rearranges the chart automatically. It would be really interesting to see how that compares to Randall's chart.

Also, I love pomegranates and grapefruits both for the flavour and /because/ they're difficult. You have to work to eat one, and that makes it all the more rewarding.

Prowler2885

Postby Prowler2885 » Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:20 am UTC

You forgot Snozzberries.
I'm a procrastinator. I'll explain later...

------

I had a dream, and in that dream I dreamt a dream in which I was dreaming a dream in which I was still dreaming.

Zak

Postby Zak » Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:21 am UTC

Pineapple should be way higher up on the tasty axis.
*waggles eyebrows*

espire

Postby espire » Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:23 am UTC

And pomegranates are so tasty!
DANGER! RAPTORS! IT'S SAFE HERE

cleverdan

Postby cleverdan » Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:23 am UTC

Pomegranates should be on the tasty side. And, btw, what exactly is the easy axis refering to? Ease of obtaining? Ease of eating?

Aviatrix

Postby Aviatrix » Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:24 am UTC

I am convinced that pomegranates taste radically different to different people. As in one person's experience is the food of the gods, and another's is worse than eating out of a dumpster during a garbage strike. (Cilantro, too, but that's not at issue here.)

I'd place red apples higher on the taste scale, but as one person said, comparing apples to apples is like comparing apples to oranges. A Cameo is not a Pink Lady is not a Red Atrocious is not a York is not an Ambrosia.

One of the first culinary skills I learned (at age 5 or so) was sectioning a grapefruit half, first cutting on either side of the radial membranes and then running the blade all around the rind. Add a teaspoon of granulated sugar sprinkled on the top and you have a delicious start to the morning... one that I and millions of other folks cannot enjoy due to our cholesterol-lowering medication. (WTF is up with that, anyway? Grapefruit enhances the effect of the statins, and wouldn't that be a good thing? There's no difference for me between 10 mg and 40 mg of Lipitor, so why keep me on 40 mg and deny me grapefruit? Can't I use 10 mg and have a grapefruit half each morning?)

harmless

Postby harmless » Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:24 am UTC

I would have liked to see where kiwis landed on the scale as I have never tried one but would like to know some opinions on them before I do.

aeiss

Postby aeiss » Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:25 am UTC

i'd lump them all in tasty; depends on the fruit grower and freshness by the time you get to eat it

where would you put durian? heh.
would the appalling smell give it -50 difficult points?

inkabink

Postby inkabink » Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:27 am UTC

best graph ever... i just had to make an account to comment on it... however....

where is the lime? i love lime... of course not to eat by itself, but in any mexican or thai dish. mmmmmm. lime.

also missing marionberries, loganberries... all excellent in cobbler. :o

recurve boy

Postby recurve boy » Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:28 am UTC

Meh. This whole comic reeks of lack of tastebuds, inability to buy good produce and the inability to weld a knife.

Darcey

Postby Darcey » Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:28 am UTC

I also cannot eat grapefruits, which rank in the top five for favourite fruit in my opinion, due to stupid medicines. ROAR.

FTH

Postby FTH » Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:31 am UTC

Oranges need to be higher than apples!

Lumpy
I can has morbid obesity?

Postby Lumpy » Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:31 am UTC

ShadowLurker wrote:Pomegranates are definitely NOT untasty. But this is amusing. I like this one. And lawl at coconuts, though I think it's a reference to something that I can't think of/haven't heard of.

I think what you're thinking of is the Warner Brothers cartoon with the squirrel (not an anthropomorphic talking one, just a silent animated squirrel) that decides to stop going for chump change acorns and try feasting on a coconut. It steals a coconut from a pile of them and spends 15 minutes trying to crack it, by doing things like pushing it under jackhammers, rolling it off a cliff, and at the end the squirrel returns it to the top of the pile. It rolls onto the ground and busts open, only to reveal a smaller coconut inside.

I doubt that was it, though.

Zak

Postby Zak » Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:31 am UTC

recurve boy wrote:and the inability to weld a knife.

Why would the ability to weld a knife have any bearing on this discussion :|
*waggles eyebrows*

e946

Postby e946 » Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:32 am UTC

I find the idea that this entire chart was created to insult grapefruit to be absolutely hilarious.

The_Duck

Postby The_Duck » Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:34 am UTC

I am going to echo others and suggest that an integer overflow must have been involved in the placement of watermelons on the y-axis. They should be well into the first quadrant Last summer I became almost addicted to the things: at times my consumption approached the rate of one large watermelon per day. Also, bananas and red apples need to be higher, and so on.
Sister Carlotta wrote:It may not be gravity that holds us to the Earth, but rather some unknown force with identical properties.

glasnt

Postby glasnt » Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:35 am UTC

Darcey wrote:Someone should really make an application where you can rate each fruit on a scale of -50 to 50 for each category, and then the application averages everyone's ratings together and rearranges the chart automatically. It would be really interesting to see how that compares to Randall's chart.

Not too hard to get a survey up with instant results...

Oh god, I should totally do this...

p.s. Hai darcey *waves*

espire

Postby espire » Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:38 am UTC

e946 wrote:I find the idea that this entire chart was created to insult grapefruit to be absolutely hilarious.

You just made me understand the comic properly. Pi Internet points to you.
DANGER! RAPTORS! IT'S SAFE HERE

Prowler2885

Postby Prowler2885 » Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:40 am UTC

I wonder where Snapples would be placed?

I'd say tasteless and damn-near impossible to eat.
I'm a procrastinator. I'll explain later...

------

I had a dream, and in that dream I dreamt a dream in which I was dreaming a dream in which I was still dreaming.

Dostoevsky

Postby Dostoevsky » Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:43 am UTC

I have a three step process to open coconuts every time:

1. Use a screwdriver/nail to open all three little holes
2. drain the juice into a cup
3. smash the coconut by throwing it on the sidewalk outside my apartment

_jameshales

Postby _jameshales » Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:43 am UTC

Prowler2885 wrote:You forgot Snozzberries.

Snozzberries are even further to the left than coconuts are. Have you ever tried buying a snozzberry? It's impossible, thanks to Roald Dahl's conspiracy to make people believe that they are fictitious fruits!

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”