0390: "Nightmares"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Black ICE

Re: "Nightmares" Discussion

Postby Black ICE » Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:00 pm UTC

dharmamama wrote:
ponzerelli wrote:how do you make yourself have a lucid dream?

Erin Pavlina did a <a href="http://www.stevepavlina.com/blog/2006/01/stevepavlinacom-podcast-010-lucid-dreaming/">podcast</a> where she details what works for her. I tried a few times (keeping my eyes open as long as I possibly could while falling asleep), and started to have one once, but immediately thought, "I'm having a lucid dream!" and woke up. She's got quite a few articles about lucid dreaming in her <a href="http://www.erinpavlina.com/blog/index.php?s=lucid+dreaming"> blog</a>. And other way out there stuff, so it's a take what you want, leave the rest situation.

I've tried the same but go now results at all. The two time i done it was that i logically concluded that i was dreaming, by remembering the last thing i did witch was, going to bed. however it took some concentration while dreaming to stay asleep. Ever scene then I've tried to do this again but have had no luck :( .

Spoon_of_Doom

Postby Spoon_of_Doom » Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:15 pm UTC

Koriina wrote: It's always amazing how something that wouldn't normally be too scary (normally the car is going, like, two miles and hour) or even not scary at all (giant oxygen bubbles? It's happened) can be infinitely terrifying in a dream.

Spoon_of_Doom wrote:Ever seen Heroes? Do they let themselves be hindered by silly things like law or forgetful mothers? No! We need to act now!

Yes! Screw the rules! Let's get married right here, right now, and we will be GLORIOUS.

Just one problem: Where exactly is "right here"? We're not exactly neighbours^^
Oh, speaking of not scary things frightening you in a dream: In a dream I once blamed "the damn shellfish" for the apocalypse, believe it or no

By the way, I didn't know that it was possible to deliberately have a lucid dream. It happens to me every once in a while, but unfortunately I have no control over when or how often that is. It's either that I just know that I'm dreaming from the beginning, or sometimes when I run across something that is different than in real life (or wouldn't be possible at all), it makes me think "Hey, this isn't possible. I must be dreaming. Yay!" and then the lucid madness starts.
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Soluzar

Postby Soluzar » Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:22 pm UTC

I think I would be deeply traumatized by having a dream similar to the one depicted in this comic. Years of exposure to fiction in which dreams, hallucinations, altered mental states and other such things have a certain degree of objective reality to them has rendered me extremely succeptible to this kind of idea. If someone in my dream told me that they didn't want me to wake up because they were afraid to die, I'd not only be terrified for the remaining part of the dream but I would feel guilty and evil for a long time after waking up. That's assuming they were a pleasant person of course. If it was an antagonist character, I'd be inclined to be less troubled.

Like the first reply said, now I'm afraid to go to sleep. At least somewhat. The worst part is that I know I'd wake up straight away, because I always do when I realise that I'm dreaming. That's just the way it works for me. If any sympathetic character in one of my dreams were to tell me that I was dreaming, and they did not want me to wake up, they would in effect be signing their own death warrant.

Spoon_of_Doom wrote:The first is kind of a semi-lucid dream gone bad. I'd dream something, everything's fine, but then something happens (like seeing my late father for example) that makes me go, "No, wait. This can't be real. I'm dreaming!" But this doesn't turn into the awsome lucid dream experience where I can do what I want, instead the world around me suddenly goes black. I then think I'm in a semi-awake state, and try very hard to fully wake up, but I can't. But I can very weakly perceive my enviroment, or at least I think so. It feels like I'm tensing my brain like an actual muscle in the process, and it's very exhausting. I often think I have partial control over my body, which means I can move, but it's very hard. So I try to do things like punching myself or pulling my hair or hit the wall to cause myself up, but it never works. The worst thing is that I'm always sure that if I stop trying and "tensing" my brain for just a few seconds, I will never wake up again and cease to exist. A long time, I thought that this half-awake state was actually real, which made the whole thing that much scarier. Until one night, in this dream I rolled myself out of my bed to wake myself up. Of course it didn't work. But when I then woke up in real life, I realized that I wasn't sleeping in my bed at all and in a completely different room because someone was staying at my place and using my bed. Only then was I sure that this was really nothing more than a dream.

It's hard to explain what that feels like, but I hope I got the point across more or less.

It sounds similar to an experience that I sometimes have had, in which I stop dreaming, but don't actually wake up properly. Instead I attempt to wake up, but can't open my eyes, process any sense impressions, or move at all. I feel that I am trying extremely hard to wake up. As you have said, the best way to describe it is the feeling that one is flexing the brain like a muscle. I do eventually manage to wake up, in a cold sweat with my heart pounding.

The other variant is somewhat less strenuous. I wake up and open my eyes, but I am unable to move at all. I can process sensory data, but that's all I can do. I can't speak, and I'm completely helpless. I can't even move my neck, so I'm stuck looking in the direction I was facing during my sleep. I have no idea how long it lasts, since I seldom sleep facing a clock.

Since we're generally talking about dreams here, I think I may as well mention that I went through a disturbing phase of dying in my dreams. The most memorable being the time when I started coughing, only to bring up blood. I remember going downstairs to get help, but I couldn't make a sound. That dream ended with me bleeding to death from my mouth.

It was most unpleasant.
Last edited by Soluzar on Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:30 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

tradiuz

Postby tradiuz » Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:26 pm UTC

Being influenced by xkcd right before sleep. Not only did I have a total stranger ask me not to wake up so they wouldn't die (scared me so much I shot bolt upright in bed... ironic, aint it). I was also rickrolled when I finally got back to sleep.
All My Mushrooms wrote:I'm practicing abstinence until someone offers me sex.

Koriina

Postby Koriina » Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:30 pm UTC

Spoon_of_Doom wrote:Just one problem: Where exactly is "right here"? We're not exactly neighbours^^
Oh, speaking of not scary things frightening you in a dream: In a dream I once blamed "the damn shellfish" for the apocalypse, believe it or no

By the way, I didn't know that it was possible to deliberately have a lucid dream. It happens to me every once in a while, but unfortunately I have no control over when or how often that is. It's either that I just know that I'm dreaming from the beginning, or sometimes when I run across something that is different than in real life (or wouldn't be possible at all), it makes me think "Hey, this isn't possible. I must be dreaming. Yay!" and then the lucid madness starts.

On the internet, everyone's your neighbor.

. . . Including ManFaye. Sorry.

Haha, I very rarely have a lucid dream by chance, though that is how I got into it. Back before the Internet an all . . . well, before I used it for anything but looking up facts about Blue Whales.

Yes, that was the first thing I did on the interwebz. I used Ask Jeeves. I was incredibly proud of myself.
"It won't fit there."

. . .

"Not legally."

Soluzar

Postby Soluzar » Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:31 pm UTC

tradiuz wrote:I was also rickrolled when I finally got back to sleep.

That's terrible! Your subconscious is trolling you!

Muskrat121

Postby Muskrat121 » Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:32 pm UTC

I actually enjoy the "nightmares" I have. One time I was drunk and fell asleep playing Eternal Darkness. That induced some crazy dreams. Lots of demons and lots of "don't let me die" kind of stuff...it was awesome...

tradiuz

Postby tradiuz » Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:32 pm UTC

The really sad part about it. That song is going to be stuck in my head all day.
All My Mushrooms wrote:I'm practicing abstinence until someone offers me sex.

Issa

Postby Issa » Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:35 pm UTC

.CREEPY. :shock:

and powerful.

i love dreaming. i'd be one of the first to sign up for implants in my head to record my dreams if such a technology were available.

ZLVT

Postby ZLVT » Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:42 pm UTC

glasnt wrote:Awwww... emotional strip (I read it with sympathy towards the girl, as she didn't want to die/leave him. There relationship was all a dream.. ) :cry:

Their relationship, Their relationship, please.
But yes, I hate it when you imagine things in dreams, that you want, but then wake up. "I'm a millionaire, I'm rich, I'm...oh shit I'm poor"
22/♂/hetero/atheist/★☭/Image

Originator of the DIY ASL tags

Spoon_of_Doom

Postby Spoon_of_Doom » Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:47 pm UTC

Koriina wrote:On the internet, everyone's your neighbor.

. . . Including ManFaye. Sorry.

Haha, I very rarely have a lucid dream by chance, though that is how I got into it. Back before the Internet an all . . . well, before I used it for anything but looking up facts about Blue Whales.

Yes, that was the first thing I did on the interwebz. I used Ask Jeeves. I was incredibly proud of myself.

I'm choosing to ignore the part about ManFaye, because I like my sanity. Or the bit that's left of it.
Anyway, the internet is indeed full of wonderful things. A lot more than Blue Whales, and among those things I found this: http://www.virtualvow.com/
Online wedding FTW! :D

Soluzar wrote:Since we're generally talking about dreams here, I think I may as well mention that I went through a disturbing phase of dying in my dreams. The most memorable being the time when I started coughing, only to bring up blood. I remember going downstairs to get help, but I couldn't make a sound. That dream ended with me bleeding to death from my mouth.

It was most unpleasant.

One question: did you really die in your dreams or did you wake up just before the end of this process? I'm just curious because with all the nightmares I've had and countless fatal wounds and the like, I never did actually die. It was clear that I would, but I always woke up before shortly before the end. The friends I've talked with about that told me similar things. And so I keep wondering if anybody has actually "completely" died in a dream.
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Fledermen64

Postby Fledermen64 » Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:51 pm UTC

I hate these dreams, dosent always have to be about a girl but thats the worst.
"I just want to say before I do this that I have no idea what I'm doing and I love you all very dearly. Ok lets light this bitch and hope for the best"
-Myself before a homemade 4th of July fireworks extravaganza

Koriina

Postby Koriina » Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:54 pm UTC

Spoon_of_Doom wrote:and among those things I found this: http://www.virtualvow.com/

Yes! This will be amazing indeed.

Spoon_of_Doom wrote:And so I keep wondering if anybody has actually "completely" died in a dream.

I have, on several occasions. They always start out bad and end up good after I realize I've died. I think my favorite bit is right after the death happens, before the 'reality' kicks in. It's an amazing feeling, sort of a numb pressure that pulses . . . very hard to describe, and strange to feel, especially in the context of a dream.

But that's just me.
"It won't fit there."

. . .

"Not legally."

thirdgencubfan

Postby thirdgencubfan » Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:54 pm UTC

I can count the number of lucid dreams/nightmares I've had in my life, on one hand.

Everytime I go to sleep and wake up, its like a time warp. The perception of time between the moment I fall asleep and the moment I wake up is nearly nil. When I wake up, I get the feeling I did have a dream, but I can remember absolutely zero details about it.

However, I feel there's a connection between my sleep amnesia and the occasional bouts of Deja Vu that I get. I would be going about my way in the day, and then the feeling of Deja Vu hits me so hard I usually just stop whatever I'm doing and try to recall exactly where the source of the feeling came from. I often wonder if I've dreamt about the future and if so, then my subconsciousness deletes any memory of it from my consciousness in order to prevent a paradox from destroying the universe.

Or maybe it was just simply a minor coma where my brain activity drops to nil. Eh.

Spoon_of_Doom

Postby Spoon_of_Doom » Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:11 pm UTC

Koriina wrote:
Spoon_of_Doom wrote:and among those things I found this: http://www.virtualvow.com/

Spoon_of_Doom wrote:And so I keep wondering if anybody has actually "completely" died in a dream.

I have, on several occasions. They always start out bad and end up good after I realize I've died. I think my favorite bit is right after the death happens, before the 'reality' kicks in. It's an amazing feeling, sort of a numb pressure that pulses . . . very hard to describe, and strange to feel, especially in the context of a dream.

But that's just me.

Well, I would have proposed by now, but I don't know your e-mail ;)

On the death thing, sounds very interesting. The bad thing about dreams is, that it's impossible to share the experience, so I'm not sure I can imagine what it feels like. But I have an idea, at least. Also, the question that was in my head for so many years now is solved. Thank you for that =)

Robin S

Postby Robin S » Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:23 pm UTC

I've died in dreams. I usually wake up shortly afterward, but I vaguely recall one or two extended afterlife scenes. Also, sometimes after dying I will end up forgetting I've died, and go back to doing standard dream stuff.
This is a placeholder until I think of something more creative to put here.

Spoon_of_Doom

Postby Spoon_of_Doom » Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:27 pm UTC

Robin S wrote:I've died in dreams. I usually wake up shortly afterward, but I vaguely recall one or two extended afterlife scenes. Also, sometimes after dying I will end up forgetting I've died, and go back to doing standard dream stuff.

You forget that you've died? Now that's awesome. Imagine that in real life:
"Hey kids, how are you?"
"WAH!"
"What's wrong?"
"Grandpa, I thought you were dead!"
"Oh, dammit. I knew I forgot something." *drops dead again*

heckinabucket

Postby heckinabucket » Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:39 pm UTC

What makes this dream really scary is knowing that for the next month all that you will dream of is her corpse.

Koriina

Postby Koriina » Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:44 pm UTC

Spoon_of_Doom wrote:
Well, I would have proposed by now, but I don't know your e-mail ;)

On the death thing, sounds very interesting. The bad thing about dreams is, that it's impossible to share the experience, so I'm not sure I can imagine what it feels like. But I have an idea, at least. Also, the question that was in my head for so many years now is solved. Thank you for that =)

koriinaisyourmom@gmail.com. Also happens to be my MSN address. I need ONE MORE CONTACT. Then I will be 300, and the world will rejoice.

Also, you're quite welcome. =) I wondered that for a long time, too.

Until it happened and all. =/
"It won't fit there."

. . .

"Not legally."

Spoon_of_Doom

Postby Spoon_of_Doom » Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:52 pm UTC

Koriina wrote:koriinaisyourmom@gmail.com. Also happens to be my MSN address. I need ONE MORE CONTACT. Then I will be 300, and the world will rejoice.

Also, you're quite welcome. =) I wondered that for a long time, too.

Until it happened and all. =/

300? *gasp*
How in the world am I supposed to not make any Spartaaaaaaaa-related jokes now?
Also, check your e-mail ;)

eddyk68

Postby eddyk68 » Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:01 pm UTC

The Alt text was very Zhuangzi (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zhuangzi) philosophically charged... last night I dreamt I was a butterfly, or am I a butterfly dreaming I am a man?
Last night I dreamt I turned into a canoe but retained my conciousness, just like Turbo Teen
Sigh. It seemed like a good idea at the time

russianspy1234

Postby russianspy1234 » Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:07 pm UTC

Koriina wrote:

But that's just me.

It happened to me once, I fell off a cliff, and didn't wake up when I hit the ground. Very strange feeling... "The light" is green btw.

Spoon_of_Doom

Postby Spoon_of_Doom » Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:12 pm UTC

eddyk68 wrote:The Alt text was very Zhuangzi (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zhuangzi) philosophically charged... last night I dreamt I was a butterfly, or am I a butterfly dreaming I am a man?
Last night I dreamt I turned into a canoe but retained my conciousness, just like Turbo Teen

I thought a similar thing. Now combine that butterfly with the "are we just a dream of another being and will we cease to exist when that being wakes up?" problem and you get a whole new, slightly insane level of angst =)

Also, a conscious canoe? Pretty creative. Somewhat disturbing, but creative.

eddyk68

Postby eddyk68 » Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:16 pm UTC

I have only had one dream where I died- shot in the head and slowly lost conciousness as I bled out... but I could feel myself slipping away- very erie

But I have had a couple of dreams where I was already dead- once as a reanimated corpse (which was cool until I started aimlessly riding my bike around Chinatown), and another time as a spirit (I left THE most awesome comic book store in the afterworld to go back to earth to see my accomplishments- which included an ATM machine I designed, and a 12 story building with a spiral staricase built around the outside made of obsidian).

Azrael001

Postby Azrael001 » Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:19 pm UTC

I once woke up and one of my arms was completely paralyzed. It had no feeling and I couldn't move it except by using my other arm. It was very strange. The feeling and movement did come back though (I think that I slept on it and cut off the blood to it).

simo

Postby simo » Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:24 pm UTC

hehe, yeah I've woken up paralyzed before its... upsetting. Its not a blood flow issue, your body stops sending signals to your muscles to stop you acting out your dreams.

I had a lucid dream the other night. I realised that everything looked a little to fake and I'd never been there before and then realised "Shit! I'm dreaming!"

So then I realized I could do anything I wanted and my imagination was the limit. So the first thing I thought of was the Calvin and Hobbes comic where Calvin realizes "Gravity is arbitrary!"

Only in retrospect do I regret spending 40 minutes bouncing around in 0 gravity.

... :|

Edit:

Does anyone ever wake up screaming? I get this quite often. And never remember why. Although sometimes I'm gagging on or covered in blood from my mouth and nose...
Last edited by simo on Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:27 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

eddyk68

Postby eddyk68 » Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:25 pm UTC

Azrael001 wrote:I once woke up and one of my arms was completely paralyzed. It had no feeling and I couldn't move it except by using my other arm. It was very strange. The feeling and movement did come back though (I think that I slept on it and cut off the blood to it).

Something very similar happened to me- had a dream I broke my leg in a car accident- when I awoke my leg was asleep and completely numb from sleeping on it wrong.

++$_
Mo' Money

Postby ++$_ » Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:51 pm UTC

The scariest thing that's happened to me is waking up and being able to open one eye, but with the other eye still stuck closed with a dream going on behind it. After what felt like 15 seconds, the dream ended on the other side too and I was able to fully wake up.

But it was really freaky for those 15 seconds.

Koriina

Postby Koriina » Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:01 pm UTC

simo wrote:Does anyone ever wake up screaming? I get this quite often. And never remember why. Although sometimes I'm gagging on or covered in blood from my mouth and nose...

I've done that . . . I wake up making noises quite often. I recorded myself sleeping once, and at one point I made that noise that happens when your computer freezes and there's .0004 seconds of a song playing in rapid succession . . . you know the one, right? It's not a pleasant sound to hear yourself make. And for about a week I kept waking up with nosebleeds because I had to take Ibuprofen for . . . I don't even remember what it was anymore, but the stuff gives me nosebleeds. Not fun for my blankets.

++$_ wrote:The scariest thing that's happened to me is waking up and being able to open one eye, but with the other eye still stuck closed with a dream going on behind it. After what felt like 15 seconds, the dream ended on the other side too and I was able to fully wake up.

But it was really freaky for those 15 seconds.

I've . . . never heard of anything like that. It's freaky to even imagine . . jeeze.
"It won't fit there."

. . .

"Not legally."

Drake

Postby Drake » Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:03 pm UTC

When I was much younger (elementry school-ish) my dreams were absolutely surreal. People would have bright purple or blue skin with orange hair, Things could fly(not me, but maybe the bike I was riding). One time my entire house melted into an endless ocean(luckily my living room furnature floats :wink: ). I figured it was normal (for dreams) and I always had a blast.

...but when I hit college my dreams became totally lame: It would be me, my roomate and some of our friends having boring ass conversations. The things is, I didn't know they were dreams until after I had some pretty embarrassing conversations with people the next day.

thrushsong

Postby thrushsong » Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:31 pm UTC

I had a dream very much like this, only in the dream there was a man named Michael who told me he had fallen in love with me, but that he only lived in dreams. I began to feel myself waking up, so he desperately held me and told me to remember him, and that he'd always be watching me. For the rest of the day I had a haunted feeling as I imagined him still there. I still don't know if he was supposed to be an angel or a ghost or what... my subconscious never told me. Simultaneously creepy and romantic.

thrushsong

Postby thrushsong » Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:38 pm UTC

eddyk68 wrote:I have only had one dream where I died- shot in the head and slowly lost conciousness as I bled out... but I could feel myself slipping away- very erie.

I've had the same dream, though I was shot in the chest as I tried to escape a kidnapper. It was like a scene in a movie with my back against a wall and I slowly slid down leaving a red streak on the bricks, and felt myself dying. One of the creepiest dreams I've ever had.

functionally_stupid

Postby functionally_stupid » Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:52 pm UTC

My subconscious is a terrorist and we are currently not speaking to each other. I used to remember my dreams, but now, I automatically begin forget them as soon as I am fully awake. On purpose.

Because my subconscious does this sort of thing to me all the time. Except it usually involves my dead father. Or me. Or anything I hold precious, really. And terrible, terrible things. Like crazed women whose fetal infants were ripped from their wombs and smashed into bloody little pieces, and who now carry baby dolls and wail piteously and do not understand that their children are dead. And dumb starving children who collect dropped pennies from the side of the road and get hit by cars. And men who stumble onto live electrical wires and scream horribly as their bodies twist and turn and pour out smoke. All of these things, set to carnival music and mad laughter and happy colors and lights, in the rainbow-splashed arena of a quaint little church. Yeah. Things like that.

'Course, that was one of the nice ones. I didn't even get raped. Or killed! That's always nice.
I wrote it in a style I fondly refer to as "unabashedly fancy" - i.e., "Fuck Zen minimalism, I'm gonna use all of my favorite words and stack loads of complex syntax n' modifying phrases'n'clauses in this motherfucker, goddamn."

Robin S

Postby Robin S » Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:00 pm UTC

Spoon_of_Doom wrote:You forget that you've died? Now that's awesome. Imagine that in real life:
"Hey kids, how are you?"
"WAH!"
"What's wrong?"
"Grandpa, I thought you were dead!"
"Oh, dammit. I knew I forgot something." *drops dead again*
I've had that happen in dreams too. Now, I understand it's not uncommon for dead people to feature in dreams (in a living state) but I usually don't really notice until after I wake up. However, I remember vividly one dream not too long ago where, at a dinner attended by (among others) members of my secondary school, it occurred to me that something was wrong with one of the guys sitting with me. Nothing visible, but I asked him "hang on a minute, aren't you..." to which he replied "Yeah. I'm dead." This freaked me out enough to wake me up. Not a pleasant experience.
This is a placeholder until I think of something more creative to put here.

Bergwerk

Postby Bergwerk » Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:08 pm UTC

I have lucid dreams every once in a while. The problem is that they are usually lame everyday situations that don't immediately alert me that I'm dreaming. Sometimes something happens (like being somewhere I've never been) and then I can take control. Then I get the situation where the world is so real, that breaking physical laws, killing, random sex, etc still feels bizarre. It's like I know there is no consequences, but I still feel responsible in some way. I end up telling myself over and over to just let go. It's quite enjoyable being the god of your own little world for a few (what seem in the dream to be) hours.

pinkgothic

Postby pinkgothic » Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:21 pm UTC

I don't have nightmares nearly as often as I'd like them.

This sort of nightmare would rock my world. It's what I hope my subconscious will throw at me - something devastating. Not that forever rehash of the Falling Dream or the Dying Dream or the Running Away From Someone Dream. Something new, something truly frightening, that stays with me for the entire day after it's happened.

As it is... my daydreams are more terrifying. *managed to deeply disturb herself with one of them, once - but, on the upside, was forced to deal with it... and now has one fear less!*
Stuff: own scribblings; favourite mewsic: luxuria & @440; underrated game

Spoon_of_Doom

Postby Spoon_of_Doom » Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:31 pm UTC

functionally_stupid wrote:My subconscious is a terrorist and we are currently not speaking to each other. I used to remember my dreams, but now, I automatically begin forget them as soon as I am fully awake. On purpose.

Because my subconscious does this sort of thing to me all the time. Except it usually involves my dead father. Or me. Or anything I hold precious, really. And terrible, terrible things. Like crazed women whose fetal infants were ripped from their wombs and smashed into bloody little pieces, and who now carry baby dolls and wail piteously and do not understand that their children are dead. And dumb starving children who collect dropped pennies from the side of the road and get hit by cars. And men who stumble onto live electrical wires and scream horribly as their bodies twist and turn and pour out smoke. All of these things, set to carnival music and mad laughter and happy colors and lights, in the rainbow-splashed arena of a quaint little church. Yeah. Things like that.

'Course, that was one of the nice ones. I didn't even get raped. Or killed! That's always nice.

That's the most disturbing thing in a while. Or even in my life. Especially those women with their ripped out infants freak me out even thinking about it. After reading this post, I think I don't want to go to sleep tonight.

Yuri2356

Postby Yuri2356 » Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:36 pm UTC

pinkgothic wrote:I don't have nightmares nearly as often as I'd like them.

This sort of nightmare would rock my world. It's what I hope my subconscious will throw at me - something devastating. Not that forever rehash of the Falling Dream or the Dying Dream or the Running Away From Someone Dream. Something new, something truly frightening, that stays with me for the entire day after it's happened.

How is this scary?

You're the allmighty blind-idiot-god of your own subconscious mind, omnipresent and omnipotent within the bounds of your creation. You spawn and consume realities at random in the endless depths of your immagination, each fearing to draw your attention lest it be torn from existance by your slightest gaze.

You beginning, end, and all things between. The great chaos which lurks in the nucleus of all reality.

That. Is. Awesome.

Mr. Beck
Commencing Countdown, Engines On

Postby Mr. Beck » Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:50 pm UTC

Holy Shit! If my subconscious wanted to to do that much damage to me, I would end up a very, very crazy person. I have had dreams that have affected me for years (mostly ones of something impossible but deeply wanted happening). Now, if that had happened to me, involving someone I cared about...I don't want to imagine the aftermath.
I rarely remember my dreams. Far more often, I am left with a very poignant emotion: loss, fear, disappointment, desire, et cetera. I try to trace the origins of the mood, to learn more about my subconscious, and I usually fail. When I am left with an emotion, and I do remember the cause, it can profoundly affect my actions for a long time.
My subconscious has a strong influence, and not always for good either. If it wanted to destroy me (I wanted to destroy myself?), this is what it would do.

What is it about xkcd (and its' forums) that makes me bare my soul to total strangers?

Yuri2356

Postby Yuri2356 » Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:56 pm UTC

Mr. Beck wrote:What is it about xkcd (and its' forums) that makes me bare my soul to total strangers?

They spiked the punch.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”