0391: "Anti-Mindvirus"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Arancaytar

Re: "Anti-Mindvirus" Discussion

Postby Arancaytar » Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:23 am UTC

MatthewWilkes wrote:Corollary to Rule 1: Monroe is a dick, you're STILL playing, no matter what he says.

Randall != Marilyn.

Please do not generate mental images like that.
"You cannot dual-wield the sharks. One is enough." -Our DM.

thutchy

Postby thutchy » Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:25 am UTC

I mean the legitimacy of this comic in the eyes of the higher god of the internet.
the game has a longer history and more followers than xkcd
it will not die from a single blow

kellsbells
Queen of Cupcakes

Postby kellsbells » Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:28 am UTC

I felt so relieved when I saw this comic. Free at last! Free from the awful sudden mind-lurch that The Game brought on any time it was referenced... The bitter realization that I just lost after hours, days, weeks... Finally rid of all that pent-up worry and suffering!

Except I still have the sneaking suspicion that The Game lingers on... :shock:
A good pun is its own reword.
L wrote:A day without kells is a day not worth living.

Ashbash

Postby Ashbash » Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:34 am UTC

but surely crippled somewhat

kellsbells
Queen of Cupcakes

Postby kellsbells » Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:36 am UTC

Hopefully...maybe... I don't know, I just don't like thinking about The Game at all! I feel like thinking about it feeds into it.
A good pun is its own reword.
L wrote:A day without kells is a day not worth living.

skeptical scientist
closed-minded spiritualist

Postby skeptical scientist » Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:38 am UTC

Sweet! Now I never have to worry about losing the game ever again.
I'm looking forward to the day when the SNES emulator on my computer works by emulating the elementary particles in an actual, physical box with Nintendo stamped on the side.

"With math, all things are possible." —Rebecca Watson

zecro

Postby zecro » Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:44 am UTC

Arancaytar wrote:Also, the legitimacy of xkcd is beyond question. It's drawn by RANDALL MUNROE. And R.M. is the CREATOR OF GODDAM XKCD, so he's never wrong!

Sarcasm or not, I thought the liberal masses of XKCD weren't thrilled of putting so much power into one person.

Also, enjoy your The Game rules.
Attachments
The Game.jpg
Enjoy your game rules.
The Game.jpg (66.92 KiB) Viewed 6009 times

Jatopian

Postby Jatopian » Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:55 am UTC

This comic made me realize that I actually didn't have to play: I was disqualified long ago for constantly breaking rule 3. Everyone should realize this loophole.
vaderdudenator wrote:Ah god damn it. i was at a UU con all weekend full of people who were losing all around me and it was making me crazy. finally i get home and start winning (aka forgetting about it) and this comic ruins it. Arg...
You didn't get it. Go reread. I wish you success.

Dobblesworth
Dobblesworth, here's the title you requested over three years ago. -Banana

Postby Dobblesworth » Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:57 am UTC

Having spent the weekend hovering in an IRC channel while listening to online radio streams, I was subjected to about 5 instances of "You just lost The Game", all from the same guy doing it every 30 minutes.

To hear that I have won The Game is a partial relief, though it has reprompted me to think about The Game, so even in my victory and release from The Game, I am being drawn back into The Game. Damn you Randall - I liked that 24hrs of non- The Game trains of thought.

< Insert obligatory I just lost The Game here >

nekomata

Postby nekomata » Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:59 am UTC

I never agreed to the rules of the game, and I used my freedom to not start playing in the first place.

Just because there's enough gullible people in the world though...

The New Game - Rules
- You are always playing The New Game.
- You cannot win. You can only lose.
- You lose whenever you remember The New Game.
- Whenever you remember The New Game, you must announce it out loud. You must also then within 1 week send at least £10 (UK money) to the person who uses the "nekomata" username on the xkcd forums.
- As soon as you mention The New Game to anyone, they also start playing.
- The goal of The New Game is to have everyone on Earth playing.

Your choice. If The Game is something that you can't avoid playing, then so is The New Game. Get ready to send me lots and lots of money (^.^)V

'; DROP DATABASE;--

Postby '; DROP DATABASE;-- » Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:15 am UTC

This ending sequence sucks!
poxic wrote:You suck. And simultaneously rock. I think you've invented a new state of being.

Graham

Postby Graham » Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:19 am UTC

I love the irony here.
Anyone who reads this finds out what the game is and then loses repeatedly.

Personally, i won the game months ago, but not everyone is so willing to remove large sections of their brain with a corkscrew.
Disclaimer: I cannot be held responsible for any harm you may come to as a result of reading my posts. You do so at your own risk.

DreadDeadRat

Postby DreadDeadRat » Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:20 am UTC

I thought it would never end....

zecro

Postby zecro » Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:28 am UTC

Do you have a problem with games you can't lose? Then realize that most of the "addictive online games" are games that you can't win. Tetris is a good example as well. You cannot win Tetris, you can only lose. Subconsciously you probably think that if you keep playing for long enough you can somehow win. This leads to "one more level"

The Game is based on the same negative feedback as other games you can't win. You consider Losing as something negative, ergo losing The Game is negative. So, when you lose, you feel anger towards the person or object that made you lose, because it has forced you into something negative (losing).

The real kicker is the people who ignore playing The Game, even though they know the rules. Nobody actually has to know you lost twenty dollars and my self respect (unless it was a person IRL you told you about it and then they will know, or if you used to play it and stop responding). However, if you associate this action with Cheating or failing to follow through, you lower your self-esteem and you begin to dislike other people.

Now put that in perspective. You are in a crowd and someone announces they lost twenty dollars and my self respect. Several other people announce it as well. They do not know you are playing the game and you feign ignorance (they do not explain it as nobody asks). You have some choices to make: say you lose twenty dollars and my self respect and become one of them, ignore the game and feel superior for not stooping to something to crass, ignore the game and feel excluded because you don't want to lose or admit you lost.

The Game takes nothing to play except your a little bit of thought and your pride.

TL;DR: if you don't think losing The Game is negative, playing The Game is not taxing on your honor or self-esteem and signifies your association with a subculture.

Tyris and Cortle

Postby Tyris and Cortle » Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:36 am UTC

akirjazi wrote:1. You can not win
2. You can not draw even
3. You can not withdraw from the Game
You can, however, simply not care, which robs the game of its power. Rather like how Rickrolling has no effect if you actually like the song (well, unless it's one of those new versions that also crashes your computer, in which case someone's crossed the line from troll to bastard).
And Stent!
You can't look dignified when you're having fun.

akirjazi

Postby akirjazi » Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:32 am UTC

Tyris and Cortle wrote:
akirjazi wrote:1. You can not win
2. You can not draw even
3. You can not withdraw from the Game
You can, however, simply not care, which robs the game of its power. Rather like how Rickrolling has no effect if you actually like the song (well, unless it's one of those new versions that also crashes your computer, in which case someone's crossed the line from troll to bastard).

Or, as is my case, by not knowing what the fuck I am talking about

ZLVT

Postby ZLVT » Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:35 am UTC

apparently I'm not authorised to veiw said forum
22/♂/hetero/atheist/★☭/Image

Originator of the DIY ASL tags

Bumnut

Postby Bumnut » Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:56 am UTC

I find it kinda odd that this is supposedly some widespread meme, but both google and wikipedia fail to give any info when searching for 'the game'. (I realise there are other ways of looking for information, but I'm very, very lazy.)

Given what I've read about it, (in this thread) I'm surprised more people don't have the same attitude as I do; I don't give a crap about your stupid game.

Kata

Postby Kata » Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:02 am UTC

Firslty, AAAAAAAAAAAAARGRHRHRRGRHRGHH!!!!!!!!

Secondly, it's not a t'internet meme, I've been playing it since Violet Berlin proclaimed the internet to be 'a cool new way to order pizza'.

Also, I think of not having lost twenty dollars and my self respect for a considerable length of time to be equivalent to winning. Interesting notion that you can be winning in a competition with yourself....... I was 'winning' for about 2 years until today!

My fiancee thinks The Game to be 'silly' and routinely remebers about it and decides to make everyone in the room lose. She has in effect created her own game, one where she occasionally remembers The Game and gets to enjoy being a little bit evil rather than suffering the excrutiating cranial agony that I experience as a 'pro' player of The Game.

Maurog

Postby Maurog » Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:04 am UTC

This is yet another proof that Wikipedia actively resists any attempts to make it useful.
Last edited by Maurog on Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:07 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Slay the living! Raise the dead! Paint the sky in crimson red!

EvanED

Postby EvanED » Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:06 am UTC

Radiergummi wrote:I think it's truly sad that so many are accepting The Game on faith, instead of realising, thanks to Randall, that The Game is an entirely voluntary construct of their minds, of which they are free to dispose.

Pray tell, how?

I have tried, but the only success I have had is, when reminded of the game, I think "oh yeah, I'm not playing that any more, whereas before I would totally be 'I lose' right now" instead of "I lose", and I don't say "I lose" out loud. Very little difference.

In practical terms? You can't stop playing the game. (At least if it is as seared into your brain as it is mine anyway.)

zecro wrote:- You are always playing The Game.
- You cannot win. You can only lose.
- You lose whenever you remember The Game.
- Whenever you remember The Game, you must announce out loud "I lose"
- After you lose, you have 30 minutes during which you can remember the game without losing
- As soon as you mention The Game to anyone, they begin playing as well.
- The goal of The Game is to have everyone on Earth playing.

A couple comments about these rules.

1) What's with the 30 minute limit? That's the way amateurs play. ;-) The real way to play is that a new game begins as soon as the fact that you are playing slips from your conscious awareness. Yes, this means that you will sometimes lose more than once in the space of 10 or so seconds. So be it.

2) There is no goal to the game. In fact, I offer a disclaimer that The Game is psychologically damaging before explaining the rules to anyone, and do not explain should they decline. ;-)

Ren
Rockin' Robin

Postby Ren » Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:13 am UTC

After several long and depressing years playing the game, I rolled my eyes, said, "Fuck this!" and started winning the game. So whenever someone is like, "I just lost twenty dollars and my self respect!" I say, "Fuck you! I just *won* the game!"

They usually complain. But fuck that. I just won.
MotleyJesster (12:34:04 PM): Better than moping around being all "I do not need love, I have indie music and a wind instrument!"

Ozone

Postby Ozone » Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:14 am UTC

The way to win (aside from having Randall tell you that you've won) is to think of the game without realizing you've lost.
Has no subject.
This sentence no verb.
This sentence has no.

d-Loaf

Postby d-Loaf » Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:19 am UTC

Thank you, Mr. Munroe. I don't care about these other guys who say I can't win. I don't believe them. I'm free.

Robin S

Postby Robin S » Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:29 am UTC

thutchy wrote:more followers than xkcd
[citation needed]
This is a placeholder until I think of something more creative to put here.

rwald

Postby rwald » Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:01 pm UTC

In response to those who claim that Randall, being the unofficial God of Nerds, can declare the game null and void by fiat, I provide the following analogy:

Think of the metaphysics of the Sandman universe. There are gods aplenty, and Randall is one of them. However, the Game is a direct creation of one of the Endless, possibly even Dream himself (or maybe Delirium.) So Randall is powerless to eliminate the Game.

akarsvp222

Postby akarsvp222 » Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:19 pm UTC

If I'm told I won, but thought about winning, and thought about the game, I...lost twenty dollars and my self respect...crap.
</sexy>

simo

Postby simo » Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:29 pm UTC

hahaha damn you munrooee!

A for Anonymous

Postby A for Anonymous » Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:45 pm UTC

Fuck you Randall. Fuck you.

psicopoo

Postby psicopoo » Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:08 pm UTC

I don't care what you all say, I won. I'm out!I'm free!

Game over, man!

Also, good riddance.

rrwoods

Postby rrwoods » Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:17 pm UTC

This made my morning. Thank you Randall!
31/M/taken/US
age/gender/interest/country

Belial wrote:The sex card is tournament legal. And I am tapping it for, like, six mana.

xabram

Postby xabram » Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:22 pm UTC

Wow, this discussion veered about 180 from where I thought it would go. I knew the people who read this comic are obsessed with Randall, but I didnt think they would view him as some divine power able to supersede an infinite loop of rules. The way I see it, either you rejected the game from the start and were always free, or you read this comic and lost. Who feels that Randall has the power to free their own mind from itself? I really though this would be a thread full of people bitching about how xkcd made them lose twenty dollars and my self respect.

NMcCoy

Postby NMcCoy » Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:49 pm UTC

Man, I was stuck playing for six years, and now I'm feeling enlightened and liberated. Thanks, xkcd.

For those of you still trapped:

THE OTHER GAME
1. Everyone who is playing The Game is also playing The Other Game.
2. Whenever you lose twenty dollars and my self respect you simultaneously win The Other Game.
3. Victory must be celebrated, though quiet internal celebration is acceptable. Exuberant celebration (in an appropriate setting) is even better.
4. As a reward for winning The Other Game, a player may at their option become exempt from all rules of The Game or any other mindvirus for any desired span of time. This rule takes precedence over all other conflicting rules.
5. Propagation of this meme is encouraged but by no means required. This is a polite meme.

Dashiva

Postby Dashiva » Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:50 pm UTC

xabram wrote:Wow, this discussion veered about 180 from where I thought it would go. I knew the people who read this comic are obsessed with Randall, but I didnt think they would view him as some divine power able to supersede an infinite loop of rules. The way I see it, either you rejected the game from the start and were always free, or you read this comic and lost. Who feels that Randall has the power to free their own mind from itself? I really though this would be a thread full of people bitching about how xkcd made them lose twenty dollars and my self respect.

People who "play" have already demonstrated a very basic lack of rationality, so why would they be constrained by that in this case? Fight fire with fire, and arbitrary rules with arbitrary rules.

The real fun would've been if he declared a "Send me $10" rule. That's what separates the real followers from the hangers-on. 8)
"Don't worry; the Universe IS out to get you."

Yuri2356

Postby Yuri2356 » Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:25 pm UTC

One does not win The Game. They may only break the high score.

Such is the nature of life.

DragonHawk

Postby DragonHawk » Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:26 pm UTC

Maurog wrote:This is yet another proof that Wikipedia actively resists any attempts to make it useful.

Just like "The Game", Wikipedia has rules. The people trying to get an article about "The Game" added to Wikipedia all seem to be morons, which, needless to say, doesn't help their cause.
Ben'); DROP TABLE Users;--

GENERATION 42: The first time you see this, copy it into yοur sig on any forum and stick a fork in yοur еyе. Social experiment.

Waterhouse

Postby Waterhouse » Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:37 pm UTC

Winning is a state of mind.

Once, when it was the day after the superbowl, I was talking with a group of friends, among whom was my future wife, but whom I was not even dating at the time.

Someone said "Does anyone know who won the superbowl?"

Without a moment's hesitation, she answered, "I won the fucking superbowl."

And with that, young Renton was in love.

timt

Postby timt » Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:38 pm UTC

Do you think were winning other games of a similar nature in parallel universes and we haven't lost because we haven't come across these other games?

rrwoods

Postby rrwoods » Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:44 pm UTC

timt wrote:Do you think were winning other games of a similar nature in parallel universes and we haven't lost because we haven't come across these other games?

Well, until now, we were winning X "The Games" where X is the number of parallel universes.

But we just lost all of them.

Thanks for that.

Bastard.
31/M/taken/US
age/gender/interest/country

Belial wrote:The sex card is tournament legal. And I am tapping it for, like, six mana.

1=0

Postby 1=0 » Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:48 pm UTC

someone wrote:- The goal of The Game is to have everyone on Earth playing.

Then I am afraid the goal will never be attained as I am not playing.
The game then has lost, since it will not reach its goal.
I feel diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”