0392: "Making Rules"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

DSDM

Re: Making Rules

Postby DSDM » Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:44 am UTC

Sex Credits? Are those like Carbon Credits? Because if they bundled them together and sold them as a pair Global Warming would be completely reversed in like 2 years.

Barack_Obama

Postby Barack_Obama » Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:50 am UTC

DSDM wrote:Sex Credits? Are those like Carbon Credits?.

Kind of. Except with less Carbon. And more sex.

Actually, it was just between me and my friends, so we never actually "cashed them in".

simX

Postby simX » Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:51 am UTC

Yep, it's "slug bug" where I live, too, and not "punch buggy". We played a positive modification with my aunt and uncle, though, where you got points instead of getting to give punches. :P Also, did anyone else call the old VW buses "slug bug verticals"? Those were worth 2 points (or I suppose 2 punches to someone else :P ).

On a slightly tangential note, with the same aunt and uncle, we used to play the "Dairy Queen" game where you had to say "Dairy Queen" as fast as humanly possible whenever you saw one.

Barack_Obama

Postby Barack_Obama » Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:52 am UTC

Oh another thing.

Did anyone ever play this same game, except with "Bruiser Cruisers"? For PT Cruisers, I mean.

DSDM

Postby DSDM » Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:57 am UTC

ZLVT wrote:Colors (and punch buggy) are for the Northeast, where you are more likely to see them, and thus likely to see more than one at once. When observing 2+ punch buggies, color become important to denote which one has the "no punch back" associated with it. I.e., if there is both a red and a blue punch buggy on the highway, I can get 2 punches in by saying, "Punch buggy red no hit backs! Punch buggy blue no hit backs!" (although the usual will be 1 and 1)

See, but if there's more than one bug, it shouldn't matter which one has no hit backs attached. If you omit the color in declaring the car, even with no hit backs there is still one or more cars that can declared, making the "no hit backs" rule moot. In fact, leaving out the color tends to liven things up a bit, as it increases the odds of simultaneous declaration, escalating to a "Jinx!" war.

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:01 am UTC

Ah, but what about the situation where there's a red and a blue buggy, and I only see the red one, and you only see the blue one? Say the red one is on my side of the car, and the blue one on yours.

If I don't name the colour of the buggy when I pummel you, neither of us would know you're perfectly within your rights to pummel me back, since the blue one is still within limits.

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

Eleyras

Postby Eleyras » Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:01 am UTC

My discovery in my local area was that Stanford had the highest VW Bug concentration, and when in Palo Alto one should look sharp.

Anyhoo. I laughed at this comic, though I never got to punch my sisters. They would always whine and then the game would get stopped. Wimps :P
At some point, I will remember to sig quotes I find amusing or something.

...once I stop laughing.

ModerateClasshole

Postby ModerateClasshole » Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:20 am UTC

Legrow wrote:I never understood why someone would expect me to accept their rules right after they'd punched me.

Most people call it by a different name round these parts: EULA. :roll:

Logodaedalus

Postby Logodaedalus » Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:21 am UTC

Woohoo New Haven pizza!

That is all.

Except that "slug bug" is clearly a ridiculous name. "Punch buggy [color]" is obviously correct.
"I feel like a quote out of context"

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:23 am UTC

rwald wrote:
Bumnut wrote:I'm finding it harder to believe that Randal doesn't write comic based on the forum discussion about the previous comic.

On another note, I used to often use "pinch and a punch because I'm an arsehole" when I wore a younger man's clothes.

To be fair, one wouldn't have needed to read the previous comic's forum discussion to know that today's comic is an appropriate reply to it; just by posting a comic referencing The Game, Randall could easily derive what the first five pages of commentary would be, and therefore respond to them without actually observing them.

No need. Virtually everything directly *about* the comic that's ever said in the comic thread has also been emailed to him, about 5 times. He gets a lot of mail.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

Wofiel

Postby Wofiel » Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:27 am UTC

Growing up, we used to do:

"Pinch Mini" for Mini Coopers
"Punch Buggy" For the Beetles
and "Slug Bug" for the Transporters/Kombis.

And my sister always complained new ones weren't counted.

DSDM

Postby DSDM » Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:30 am UTC

phlip wrote:Ah, but what about the situation where there's a red and a blue buggy, and I only see the red one, and you only see the blue one? Say the red one is on my side of the car, and the blue one on yours.

If I don't name the colour of the buggy when I pummel you, neither of us would know you're perfectly within your rights to pummel me back, since the blue one is still within limits.

I would think that you would either see the car on my side when you turned to punch me, or I would see the car on your side when I naturally turn to glare at you after you punch me. And one of us would naturally name the second car. In the case of a dispute, a technique called "pointing at the car" could be used to clear up the matter. Or, if your a traditionalist like me, you let it all degenerate into an angry slug-fest until the previously mentioned parental wrath is incurred.

And I believe it goes without saying that new bugs don't count. At least it went without saying after the carnage following the opening of Volkswagon dealerships all over the nation's highways after the new bugs were introduced. There was a national moratorium on family road trips until it was sorted out because kids started dropping like flies. It was like a bad game of Oregon Trail every time a family packed into the station wagon to go visit grandma two states over. School field trips had to follow back roads to their destinations to avoid bloodshed.

The game of "Slug Bug" or "Punch Buggy" was almost banned by Congress after a public outcry following the tragedy of Billy Wilkins in 1982. Billy, aged 8, was riding with his family to Disney Land when his older brother Mike spotted the slug bug holy grail: A convertible bug with one headlight out, out-of-state license plates, and a missing hub cap. The bloody barrage of compounded penalties Mike unleashed on his brother resulted in a gruesome scene that seasoned Highway Patrol veteran Sgt. Bob Peterson said "Would haunt him the rest of his days." They never did find Billy's head.

functionally_stupid

Postby functionally_stupid » Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:32 am UTC

Aww, children are so barbaric!

Seriously, though, children *feel* things with an intensity that is at least as vivid as the way adults feel things; they have to have a healthy outlet for their aggression. Games like these are fascinating; the ritualization of violence serves to turn aggression into a game, which means that it can be much more easily controlled/manipulated, and understood, by the child-mind. Playful aggression is an excellent stress relief, and because children have such little control over their own lives, they tend to experience a lot of stress as a matter of course. And so, driven by universal needs, children universally make up games quite like these, imposing their *own* rules on other people through the social interaction of the game.

This particular game is interesting; it trains children to be more alert to their surroundings, it trains them to associate names with colors, it trains them in social bargaining tactics, and so on.

My sister and I still do this. XD I think it's considered acceptable to hit the original person if you think they got the color wrong. You correct them. With your fists. If they still disagree, a merry fight may ensue.
I wrote it in a style I fondly refer to as "unabashedly fancy" - i.e., "Fuck Zen minimalism, I'm gonna use all of my favorite words and stack loads of complex syntax n' modifying phrases'n'clauses in this motherfucker, goddamn."

'; DROP DATABASE;--

Postby '; DROP DATABASE;-- » Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:34 am UTC

See also The Simpsons. The bus passes a bug, then another bug, then "Bug World" or something like that, which of course was a bug dealership. Chaos ensues. :lol:

Barack_Obama wrote:Anyone else ever play the "Sex Credit Game"?

If you saw a light on a car burnt out, you got one. If you went through a yellow light, you got one. If you went through a red light, you got two.
I am intrigued. Do go on.
poxic wrote:You suck. And simultaneously rock. I think you've invented a new state of being.

DSDM

Postby DSDM » Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:36 am UTC

Damn right children are barbaric. William Golding had it right when he wrote "Lord of the Flies." Precious little snowflakes and our hope for the future they may be, but given half a chance they are all cruel, vicious little bastards :-)

OneLess

Postby OneLess » Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:51 am UTC

I must try this...
“Observation: Couldn’t see a thing. Conclusion: Dinosaurs.” –Carl Sagan

Last edited by OneLess on Sat Dec 17, 3003 10:35 am, edited 0 time in total.

Kalos

Postby Kalos » Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:59 am UTC

Hitler's "people's car" is the true proof that Germany won WWII. Sure, the Nazi regime got taken out of power, sure the entire country got bombed to the ground, but now... decades from the end of WWII... we beat the crap out of each other every time we see a VW Bug.

(oh, and Godwin's Law, just to beat you to it)

Patashu
Answerful Bignitude

Postby Patashu » Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:22 am UTC

Love it!

Reminds me of all the times my little brother insists I have to do something he dares me to.

StClair

Postby StClair » Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:26 am UTC

rwald wrote:Which leads to the natural question: do we really exist, or are we just extrapolations of Randall's mind? If he can respond to us without our involvement, have a complete conversation instantaneously without our actual input, this means that his mental model of us is sufficiently accurate to represent all our important properties. If we are no different from what he thinks we are, can we be said to exist independently of him?

"He's dreaming now," said Tweedledee: "and what do you think he's dreaming about?"
Alice said "Nobody can guess that."
"Why, about YOU!" Tweedledee exclaimed, clapping his hands triumphantly. "And if he left off dreaming about you, where do you suppose you'd be?"
"Where I am now, of course," said Alice.
"Not you!" Tweedledee retorted contemptuously. "You'd be nowhere. Why, you're only a sort of thing in his dream!"
"If that there King was to wake," added Tweedledum, "you'd go out - bang! - just like a candle!"

Which brings us back, full circle, to another recent comic...

Greyjoy

Postby Greyjoy » Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:33 am UTC

akirjazi

Postby akirjazi » Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:36 am UTC

rwald wrote:Which leads to the natural question: do we really exist, or are we just extrapolations of Randall's mind? If he can respond to us without our involvement, have a complete conversation instantaneously without our actual input, this means that his mental model of us is sufficiently accurate to represent all our important properties. If we are no different from what he thinks we are, can we be said to exist independently of him?

It wouldn't work, he would have to know the exact quantum state of every particle in our bodies so that his mind could render an exact simulation of us. Nothing less would do the trick. To "model" something means to extract some properties of the modeled entity which are deemed important for the particular model you are building and disregarding others, in which case it is not accurate simulation of us.

On the other hand, if we accept for a moment the notion that his mental model of us is sufficiently accurate to represent all our important properties and to ask whether we exist independently, we might as well evaluate that in this case our collective mental model of Randall must be necessarily more accurate than his of us, in which case we are justified to ask if he exists independently of our collective mind. In other words, are we having a consensual hallucination of Randall's existence, is he just a figment of our (disturbed) imagination, are we dreaming of him, and is he going to plead us not to wake up?

keozen
The Bearded FaiD Batman

Postby keozen » Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:37 am UTC

I play the "Yellow Car Game" and the "Mini Game" (a punch given out by the first person to call them when in sight).

If there's a Yellow Mini call it first or you're screwed.

Ohh & i also got banned from playing the Yellow Car game when visiting new York *pout*

Arancaytar

Postby Arancaytar » Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:39 am UTC

Herman wrote:
I never understood why someone would expect me to accept their rules right after they'd punched me.

You kidding? That's when rules are most likely to be accepted. My primate-ware says that if someone punched me, they're probably better than me.

Man, I have to get that upgraded.

Correction: If someone punched you so hard that you could not punch back. "Might makes right" works both ways... =P
"You cannot dual-wield the sharks. One is enough." -Our DM.

malenkylizards

Postby malenkylizards » Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:45 am UTC

Or perhaps Randall died years ago, and has since been replaced by RanDOS, the computer program that constantly reads and analyzes the text of the xkcd forums, and produces poorly drawn comics likely to be relevant, topical and amusing to the constituency?

"Subjects have changed topic from fruit to childhood games. Searching database for games...Program "Punch Buggy" located and compiled. Randomly selecting standard "sleeping with your girlfriend/mother/sister" joke. "Sleeping With Your Girlfriend" joke...inserted. Webcomic...posted. Morality core...incinerated. Deadly neurotoxin...prepared. Soon there will be cake."

AdmiralJustin

Postby AdmiralJustin » Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:52 am UTC

GodShapedBullet wrote:Mr. Munroe, I'm sorry I was mean about some of your comics! I just think you are capable of a lot that is why I am so critical. Also I didn't think The Game was over. But mostly because of the "thinking you are capable of a lot" thing.

... You're forgetting that he's just a much a troll as anyone else around here... he just does the comic, too.
I was sane once, but I'm better now!

nekomata

Postby nekomata » Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:01 am UTC

No punch back? Fine...
*pop*
No dislocated arm back thank you :twisted:

GrawSith

Postby GrawSith » Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:08 am UTC

Kids in Australia never had vehicle-specific punches. You'd get punches on the first of the month, on your birthday, at the end of football, but never buggy-type punches.

(We were far too concerned with the girl-germs epidemic.)

Arancaytar

Postby Arancaytar » Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:12 am UTC

I just noticed a parallel.

Perhaps accepting each others' rules is not completely without merit.

It's not even a very different case. Because see, the laws of war aren't enforced by any kind of agreement, in practice. Nations stick to them because if they don't, they get punched, and nobody wants to be the first in case the other ones team up against it. It's like with nuclear weapons.
"You cannot dual-wield the sharks. One is enough." -Our DM.

madjo

Postby madjo » Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:18 am UTC

keozen wrote:I play the "Yellow Car Game" and the "Mini Game" (a punch given out by the first person to call them when in sight).

If there's a Yellow Mini call it first or you're screwed.

Ohh & i also got banned from playing the Yellow Car game when visiting new York *pout*

hahaha, I wonder why... *punch* yellow car!
*punch punch punch punch punch punch punch punch punch punch punch punch punch* a whole bunch of yellow cars!
:)

You are carrying:
- a slightly paranoid Android
- two left feet (not my own)
- a still unfed and very hungry hippo
- broadsword of +5 ridiculousness stained with the blood of the undead souls
- a stetson Resistol, cuz stetson Resistols are cool.

grim4593

Postby grim4593 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:21 am UTC

Here In Michigan we play with:
Yellow - If you see a yellow car, you can hit someone.
Slug Bug - See a beetle you can hit someone. This applies to newer models as well.
PT Cruiser Bruiser - See a PT Cruiser you can hit someone.

Greyjoy wrote:*snip*

That was a fun game to play as well. Until new rules kept popping up where people would end up owing you dozens of hits, and then you would have to get them to see the circle so you could -negate- those hits.

Rendon

Postby Rendon » Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:41 am UTC

We did do a bit of the slug bug, but I was also taught the beaver cleaver game.

You would get points instead of punches depending on what you saw if you called it first.
Beaver - Beatle
Cleaver - Old Style Beaver
Beaver Cleaver - Red Beatle
Cleaver Beaver - Red Old Style Beaver

And points given out for each (I think beaver cleaver was worth the most). That was a hard game.

rwald wrote:The Game
Thanks alot jerk, you made me lose.

Greyjoy wrote:Image

Ok, I saw it. Go ahead.

rodbod

Postby rodbod » Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:55 am UTC

This is weird. After my family went to see 'The Love Bug' we started the same game, except you had to say, 'Herbie Car Punch That Blue One'. But we didn't get the game from friends (it was purely a family thing) or American relatives (don't have any).

Obviously the meme simultaneously evolved in multiple locations...

ohki

Postby ohki » Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:29 am UTC

Just because this thread was entirely too non-violent already: UPS truck = U Punch Someone. Not sure where it came from, but I only fell for it once.
Shotgun!
But it raining and me peeing on your foot are NOT mutually exclusive.
"Isn't arrogance measured in nano-Dijkstra's?"- Alan Kay

Rendon

Postby Rendon » Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:30 am UTC

ohki wrote:Shotgun!

Seat check no joust.

Bumnut

Postby Bumnut » Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:45 am UTC

GrawSith wrote:Kids in Australia never had vehicle-specific punches.

Speak for yourself. It may have been an imported Yank thing, but it was definitely done over here when I was a tyke.

halcyon1234

Postby halcyon1234 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:48 pm UTC

UserGoogol wrote:
Contrabass wrote:And that wasn't even a convertible... :shock:

I don't think you understand how punch bugs work. Punch bug refers to the Volkswagen Bug, that is, if a Volkswagen Beetle drives past you while you are next to a peer, you can punch them. What the hell would convertibles be justifiable?

A convertible is an open roofed car. It's roof is missing. One might say it's roof area is empty.

Karate is a combat form that means "empty hand".

So if someone punchbuggies you because it looks like a boxing glove, next time a convertible goes by, Karate-chop them in the throat. Nothing sends the message of "your game is stupid and you shouldn't play it" like a crushed trachea.
Writing for The Daily WTF
A More Permanent Join
Bessy Keeps You Safe
Passed Around

"I think Internet message boards used to be a lot funnier 10 years ago -- I've sort of stopped reading their new posts." -- Simpsons writer Matt Warburton

astralica

Postby astralica » Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:17 pm UTC

You know, I always had about the same reaction as Munroe.
And why wouldn't I punch back?

I was not hitting you because I saw some car which made it allowed.
I just hitting you.
Just because I can.

fibonacci

Postby fibonacci » Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:24 pm UTC

I lived in Arizona a few years back and got a good chuckle walking through a parking lot to my car. An older fellow, probably in his early seventies, in a Red VW Bug had the license plate "SLGBGRD". You youngsters can it what you want, but it's always been slug bug when I've heard it.

DSDM

Postby DSDM » Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:43 pm UTC

1045336659_e2c01251c6.jpg
1045336659_e2c01251c6.jpg (40.27 KiB) Viewed 5155 times

Jamaican Castle

Postby Jamaican Castle » Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:45 pm UTC

DSDM wrote:(picture of a Bug - er, feature)

Well, guess that puts an end to it. Unless someone knows a word for "punch" that rhymes with "feature".

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”