0393: "Ultimate Game"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

szarka

Re: Ultimate Game

Postby szarka » Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:31 pm UTC

It's been over twenty years since I've played D&D, but I still have my battered, old basic set somewhere in the attic... Hearing about Gary's death made me sad. How nice to see such a great tribute on xkcd to a guy that gave so many of us joy, and probably kept more than a few of us busy and therefore out of trouble as lads. ;)

Syphon

Postby Syphon » Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:14 am UTC

So much better than Penny Arcade's tribute.

zahlman

Postby zahlman » Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:20 am UTC

libra wrote:
Kaderan wrote:He's gone to that big roleplaying table in the sky. Thank you for everything Mr. Gygax. If it weren't for you I might have a life instead I have a 12th lvl Elven Ranger :)
Nice touch dying on GM's day. March Forth!

Not so much a nice touch ... more an ironic one, seeing as he passed the day after http://xkcd.com/391/, to whit:-

Wonder if that chewing sound I suddenly hear is the sound of someone eating their own words, perchance ...

... So what happens if you challenge the Devil to The Game, anyway?
Belial wrote:I once had a series of undocumented and nonstandardized subjective experiences that indicated that anecdotal data is biased and unreliable.

particleinabox

Postby particleinabox » Sat Mar 08, 2008 1:46 am UTC

I thought that Penny Arcade's tribute was the best kind of black humor, and I'm surprised that it didn't go down well.

Syphon

Postby Syphon » Sat Mar 08, 2008 2:12 am UTC

zahlman wrote:
libra wrote:
Kaderan wrote:He's gone to that big roleplaying table in the sky. Thank you for everything Mr. Gygax. If it weren't for you I might have a life instead I have a 12th lvl Elven Ranger :)

Not so much a nice touch ... more an ironic one, seeing as he passed the day after http://xkcd.com/391/, to whit:-

Wonder if that chewing sound I suddenly hear is the sound of someone eating their own words, perchance ...

It's not a game, it's a fiddle-off.

Akula

Postby Akula » Sat Mar 08, 2008 2:22 am UTC

Man, this really might be my favorite comci ever
"I never let my schooling interfere with my education" - Mark Twain

ADXCKGuy
Location: Boston, MA, U.S.A., North America, Earth, Sol system, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Universe

Postby ADXCKGuy » Sat Mar 08, 2008 2:42 am UTC

4=5 wrote:I waited for minuets for someone else to post the discussion.
You did multiple slow dances and noone posted a thread?

Anyway, I could hardly care less that the dude kicked the bucket, but I half-got the joke and enjoyed it, then saw the alt text and found it hilarious.

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Sat Mar 08, 2008 2:48 am UTC

ADXCKGuy wrote:Anyway, I could hardly care less that the dude kicked the bucket,

....why say something like that?
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

Sungura
When life gives you banananas, make bananana bread

Postby Sungura » Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:36 am UTC

Ah ok gotcha. Glad for this forum, because I was wondering who Gary was myself. I thought it was sorta funny, but because death mentioned Jesus lol, but didn't really get it. I never played D&D (honestly, until someone translated D&D I didn't know what it stood for!) but now that I do it makes so much more sense!
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq
she/<any gender neutral>/snug

Sungura

Re: ultimate game

Postby Sungura » Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:46 am UTC

cathrl wrote:
top1214 wrote:
suso wrote:
quintopia wrote:who is gary?

Um, ok you, out of the geek gene pool.

Props to XKCD for this. I've found that geeks have a special place in their heart for Mr. Gygax. Many of the normally black humor comments on the Slashdot article were modded as troll.

So just b/c I never played D&D we're going to overlook the glasses, working towards a PhD in science, love of sci-fi, and bridge playing and say I'm not a geek?

(I only knew who Gary Gygax was from that Futurama episode, and didn't get the 1st couple of panels (although i was still funny))

I'm a 37 year old mother of two with perfect vision who has never played D&D and even I knew who Gary Gygax was. (I guess that would also make me proof that geeks have a gene pool, since I'm a science graduate sci-fi fan).

Seriously, how can anyone have read any geek-focused news website whatsoever in the last two days and missed this? And can you really claim to be a geek if you haven't?

Yup I can. I'm just not a gaming person, never have been. Put me in a lab though.... :mrgreen: so depends on your definition of geek. And, since I happen to like math I can define myself as a mathematician. And, therefore, I can define geek anyway I want. And I define myself as a geek. So there. :lol: (At least according to my math prof, that is how it works) The latest geek-focused news website I read was Nature. They didn't talk about him.
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq

russianspy1234

Postby russianspy1234 » Sat Mar 08, 2008 4:11 am UTC

zahlman wrote:
libra wrote:

I said in an earlier post, if I die I shall challenge death to The Game. Heres how it works, I think about the game, so I lose twenty dollars and my self respect (like you all just did), then, as I am now safe for 10 minutes, I put the challenge to death. "Death, I challenge you to a game of The Game for my soul, you just lost twenty dollars and my self respect." Voila, I win my soul.

Maseiken
The Candylawyer

Postby Maseiken » Sat Mar 08, 2008 4:24 am UTC

No, because you didn't win.
If anything, you're only trapping yourself in an uncertain limbo until you, inevitably think of The Game when Death has not yet thought of it and when you are outside a 10 mintue 'Safe period.
You are turning your afterlife into hell before you've even reached it.
"GRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOWR!!!!"
(Translation: "Objection!")

Maseiken had the ball at the top of the key...

Vanishing Hitchhiker

Postby Vanishing Hitchhiker » Sat Mar 08, 2008 4:39 am UTC

dysaniak wrote:Definitely not too young. D&D can be played by anyone who can tell a story. It oughta be more popular.

Behold, the bearers of the ancient and dying ways!
could it be that she was the sister of the boy in Kansas who loved the girl with the tattered shawl who was the daughter of the maid who had escaped from the pirates?

russianspy1234

Postby russianspy1234 » Sat Mar 08, 2008 5:09 am UTC

Maseiken wrote:No, because you didn't win.
If anything, you're only trapping yourself in an uncertain limbo until you, inevitably think of The Game when Death has not yet thought of it and when you are outside a 10 mintue 'Safe period.
You are turning your afterlife into hell before you've even reached it.

No, because, as soon as I tell death about The Game, while still within the safe period, he will think of it, and will lose.

Your.Master

Postby Your.Master » Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:06 am UTC

What if death is an advanced but ultimately unthinking AI that is not even capable of thinking of "the game" but nevertheless capable of understanding your challenge?

GCM

Postby GCM » Sat Mar 08, 2008 7:35 am UTC

Belial wrote:
ADXCKGuy wrote:Anyway, I could hardly care less that the dude kicked the bucket,

I thought that meant he didn't care until he realized who it was referring to. Here's the rest of the text...

ADXCKGuy wrote:but I half-got the joke and enjoyed it, then saw the alt text and found it hilarious.
All warfare is based on heavily-armed robotic commandos.
~Sun Tzu

Notes: My last avatar was "Vote Robot Nixon", so I'm gonna keep a list here. :D

thethoughtfulone

Postby thethoughtfulone » Sat Mar 08, 2008 8:22 am UTC

This was a sad day indeed... My friends and I were actually out on a smoke break from our D&D game when we found out. We went back inside and had a moment of silence before we continued back where we were... stuck between a Half Elf Vampire and a Black Pudding.... whats worse is that we're all 3rd level, and we're all rogues of some sort....

DistinctlyBenign

Postby DistinctlyBenign » Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:35 am UTC

Its was a sad day in gaming, but the comic was a nice tribute.

Challenging death to a game of chess was what I always thought the tradition was, not whatever game you like. When you challenge the devil to a fiddle contest, its to gain something you want then (often a golden fiddle), but if you lose you go to hell when you die. You aren't dead when it happens.

Oh, also exiern did a tribute as well.

Nimz

Postby Nimz » Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:56 am UTC

My thoughts when reading the comic (and shortly thereafter): haha, death is playing an RPG with an RPG nerd. hmmm... alt text - I guess someone named Gary (presumably one of Randall's friends would be why I'm in the dark about who this guy is) died recently (I'm so tired right now, btw, that I didn't even connect the comic with the alt text). I guess I'll go to the individual comic thread to see if I can find out what happened. Ah. So that's who it was. Don't need to get so excited about intelligent people who just happen to be ignorant about current events in the gaming world, and (in my case) current events in general. Wait, death mentioned Jesus? Oh. I guess he did. (did I mention I'm really tired?)

As soon as I saw Gygax, I knew I had seen the name before, but I couldn't place it until I read the OOTS tribute. Then someone mentioned the chalkboard in QC's Coffee of Doom. I, too, wondered about that reference before I saw this comic. Just for the record, I've never played D&D, though I know people that I could play with if their sessions didn't conflict with my schedule... The weird thing for me was that on Thursday I was helping someone with stats and I made up an example problem that used D12 and D20. Had to explain what they were, mentioned D&D, and sketched a D20. My artwork was critiqued by one of said D&D players, but he failed to mention Gary Gygax's death.

Radikalskippy wrote:
REMIND ME AGAIN, he said, HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE.

-- Death on symbolic last games (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)
My avatar (until it's changed) moves in an L-shaped pattern.

amysrabbitranch wrote:
cathrl wrote:
top1214 wrote:
suso wrote:

Props to XKCD for this. I've found that geeks have a special place in their heart for Mr. Gygax. Many of the normally black humor comments on the Slashdot article were modded as troll.

So just b/c I never played D&D we're going to overlook the glasses, working towards a PhD in science, love of sci-fi, and bridge playing and say I'm not a geek?

(I only knew who Gary Gygax was from that Futurama episode, and didn't get the 1st couple of panels (although i was still funny))

I'm a 37 year old mother of two with perfect vision who has never played D&D and even I knew who Gary Gygax was. (I guess that would also make me proof that geeks have a gene pool, since I'm a science graduate sci-fi fan).

Seriously, how can anyone have read any geek-focused news website whatsoever in the last two days and missed this? And can you really claim to be a geek if you haven't?

Yup I can. I'm just not a gaming person, never have been. Put me in a lab though.... :mrgreen: so depends on your definition of geek. And, since I happen to like math I can define myself as a mathematician. And, therefore, I can define geek anyway I want. And I define myself as a geek. So there. :lol: (At least according to my math prof, that is how it works) The latest geek-focused news website I read was Nature. They didn't talk about him.
QFT. As a maths geek with sides of chess and physics lite-geek, xkcd is about as close as I get to reading game-geek focused news. Ah. Just realised why the name Gygax rang half a bell for me. Futurama. For me, Stephen Hawking was an easier-to-remember RL person name in that episode.
LOWA

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:23 pm UTC

russianspy1234 wrote:No, because, as soon as I tell death about The Game, while still within the safe period, he will think of it, and will lose.

Ah, but what is the criterion that you get your soul back? That Death loses the game, or that you win?

I would think it would be the latter...

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

Maseiken
The Candylawyer

Postby Maseiken » Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:25 pm UTC

All Douchebaggery aside.
Whether or not you're a DnD nerd, whether or not you liked gary Gygax or his game, whether or not you ever even saw a "DnD Board" *cough*

You have to respect the fact that he created something that makes people happy even if only for a short time and for very small reasons. His work has, quite literally, been a great cultural influence, especially for us nerds (As I assume most of the xkcd Fora would consider themselves to be), and I'm sure that there's a lot of things we wouldn't be enjoying now if it weren't for good ol' Gary.

What would life be like if DnD had never existed, tabletop RPGs had never been popularised?
Whether or not you like it, it had an effect, and Gary brought it to us, So I hope you will join me in 3d20 seconds of silence.

Incidentally, it seems Blizzard have dedicated Burning Crusades' Patch 2.4 to him, I think that's nice.
"GRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOWR!!!!"
(Translation: "Objection!")

Maseiken had the ball at the top of the key...

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Sat Mar 08, 2008 1:56 pm UTC

Nimz wrote:
amysrabbitranch wrote:Yup I can. I'm just not a gaming person, never have been. Put me in a lab though.... :mrgreen: so depends on your definition of geek. And, since I happen to like math I can define myself as a mathematician. And, therefore, I can define geek anyway I want. And I define myself as a geek. So there. :lol: (At least according to my math prof, that is how it works) The latest geek-focused news website I read was Nature. They didn't talk about him.
QFT. As a maths geek with sides of chess and physics lite-geek, xkcd is about as close as I get to reading game-geek focused news. Ah. Just realised why the name Gygax rang half a bell for me. Futurama. For me, Stephen Hawking was an easier-to-remember RL person name in that episode.

Yay! Glad someone agrees :)

Aleril
Le Rail

Postby Aleril » Sat Mar 08, 2008 4:20 pm UTC

Gary Gygax wrote:There is no intimacy; it’s not live. [he said of online games] It’s being translated through a computer, and your imagination is not there the same way it is when you’re actually together with a group of people. It reminds me of one time where I saw some children talking about whether they liked radio or television, and I asked one little boy why he preferred radio, and he said, "Because the pictures are so much better."

Truer words never spoken.

This quote really touches my heart, and I found it necessary to tell.

arbivark

Postby arbivark » Sat Mar 08, 2008 5:15 pm UTC

My blog entry wednesday mentioned a couple of the online tributes i've liked.
http://vark.blogspot.com/2008/03/websna ... y-who.html
http://www.websnark.com/archives/2008/0 ... flags.html
http://wilwheaton.typepad.com/wwdnbacku ... e-sea.html

I put on my robe and my wizard hat...

elminster

Postby elminster » Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:27 pm UTC

RIP Gary.
A truly inspirational, creative and artistic person. It's sad to see the loss of someone that managed to contribute so much. I don't many people realise exactly how much impact it made, but most RPGs made are related in some way to D&D.

Edit: Also Gygax sounds like a final level boss (Seriously, "ax" at the end of a name makes me thing final level boss or hard enemy); I wish I had a surname like that.

EtzHadaat

Postby EtzHadaat » Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:37 pm UTC

phlip wrote:
russianspy1234 wrote:No, because, as soon as I tell death about The Game, while still within the safe period, he will think of it, and will lose.

Ah, but what is the criterion that you get your soul back? That Death loses the game, or that you win?

I would think it would be the latter...

So get a laptop and check here.

Darkscull

Postby Darkscull » Sun Mar 09, 2008 12:05 am UTC

Z.A.K wrote:
suso wrote:

Geeks have a gene pool?

no, they have a meme pool :D
Physicists do it in an excited state.
m/bi/UK/Ⓐ/chaotic good
b. 1988 d. 20xx

Kartoffelkopf

Postby Kartoffelkopf » Sun Mar 09, 2008 1:03 am UTC

DistinctlyBenign wrote:Its was a sad day in gaming, but the comic was a nice tribute.

Challenging death to a game of chess was what I always thought the tradition was, not whatever game you like. When you challenge the devil to a fiddle contest, its to gain something you want then (often a golden fiddle), but if you lose you go to hell when you die. You aren't dead when it happens.

Oh, also exiern did a tribute as well.

That was a great blog entry.
I myself have never touched D&D, but I know most of the theory behind it, and maybe I should pick up a few rulebooks sometime. :P

Prometheus

Postby Prometheus » Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:26 am UTC

Regarding The Game. Just think about robots, that's what I do. Robots are so awesome that sometimes I'll be all like "Oh crap, I forgot to eat the past two days, I was so busy thinking about robots." Good for forgetting about The Game.
Well I thought it was funny.

evan

Postby evan » Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:01 pm UTC

Prometheus

Postby Prometheus » Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:40 am UTC

Another one, from User Friendly:
For those that don't get the joke, fighting the gazebo is the D&D equivalent of the snipe hunt.
Well I thought it was funny.

ADXCKGuy
Location: Boston, MA, U.S.A., North America, Earth, Sol system, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Universe

Postby ADXCKGuy » Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:22 am UTC

Belial wrote:

Um, because it’s true? I don’t know him personally, I have never played any of his games and have no interest in them, and he was 70, he lived a full and successful life, so I don’t think of it as especially tragic.
If you meant, why say it at all, it’s not like I posted just to say I don’t care, in context I said it to give perspective to my comments about the comic itself:
ADXCKGuy wrote:Anyway, I could hardly care less that the dude kicked the bucket, but I half-got the joke and enjoyed it, then saw the alt text and found it hilarious.
I was basically stating that even the kind of geek who feels no emotional attachment to Gygax( e.g., me) can enjoy the humor in the comic’s excellent joke, if s/he understands the premise.
GCM wrote:I thought that meant he didn't care until he realized who it was referring to.
No, no, I explicitly meant that I didn’t( and don’t) care much about the death of Gary Gygax. I am NOT trying to belittle him, not disputing that he was a prolific and important creator and artist, just acknowledging that the death does not have any of the emotional impact for me that it does for many of you, yet I was still able to enjoy the comic.

Belial

Postby Belial » Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:47 am UTC

The way you phrased it was just...abrasive and kindof confrontational, is all. But whatever, you didn't mean anything by it.

They/them

Kartoffelkopf

Postby Kartoffelkopf » Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:08 am UTC

Prometheus wrote:Another one, from User Friendly:
[...]
For those that don't get the joke, fighting the gazebo is the D&D equivalent of the snipe hunt.

What's a snipe hunt?

Belial

Postby Belial » Tue Mar 11, 2008 1:53 pm UTC

It's the real world equivelant of fighting the gazebo.

They/them

Frankie

Postby Frankie » Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:24 pm UTC

Belial wrote:It's the real world equivalent of fighting the gazebo.

LOL. OK, looks like it's time to ruin the jokes.
Remember folks, Google Makes All Computing Simple!

Blubb3r3ng3l

Postby Blubb3r3ng3l » Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:03 am UTC

I REALLY want to see the sales figures for Mountain Dew. I'm positive it has to have increased since his death just of respect.
Let us a little permit Nature to take her own way; she understands Her own affairs better than we ~ Montaigne
embarrass the hell out of me
The only emotion ducks can feel is hate. -__Kit

ANorthernSoul

Postby ANorthernSoul » Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:35 am UTC

Paiev wrote:The comic made me laugh, the alt-text made me sad.

Succinctly put.

RIP Gary. Your game and its offspring filled a hole during my teenage years, which most local teenagers filled with drinking and drugs.

They also saved me from the resultant teenage pregnancy issues, as I never came close to having a girlfriend.

Thanks fella.

GCM

Postby GCM » Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:36 am UTC

Blubb3r3ng3l wrote:I REALLY want to see the sales figures for Mountain Dew. I'm positive it has to have increased since his death just of respect.

Why? Enlighten me?
All warfare is based on heavily-armed robotic commandos.
~Sun Tzu

Notes: My last avatar was "Vote Robot Nixon", so I'm gonna keep a list here. :D

pKp

Postby pKp » Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:45 pm UTC

I'm smiling a sad smile.

Looks like my next campaign won't be Vampire after all.

RIP, Gary.
Experience is a thing you can't have for nothing - Oscar wilde

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”