0395: "Morning"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

joecentric

Re: "Morning" Discussion

Postby joecentric » Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:56 am UTC

jayhawk wrote:Did this comic make anyone else think about "The Nine Billion Names of God"?

Not at first, but now it does. And now I'm spooked.

One of my favorites from AC Clarke, btw. Along similar lines (kind of), try "The Forgotten Enemy," too.

Cheers,
--joe.

Steve the Pocket

Postby Steve the Pocket » Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:14 am UTC

Domovoi wrote:
transpetaflops wrote:But since the pixels are red and green, aren't they in fact "stuck" pixels? "Dead" pixels are just dead = black. Will the Matrix change now...?

"Dead" or "stuck" doesn't refer to color. If it's black, all subpixels are dead/stuck. If it's a color, then one or two subpixels are dead/stuck. So in this case, the sky is actually experiencing dead subpixels.

This got me thinking, is there any particular reason, aside from the fact that random chance will occasionally make it happen, why all three subpixels of a given pixel would be dead at once, as seems to be the case at least as often as not?

Incidentally, as I read through this thread, I discovered that the display I'm on right now (not my own, thank goodness) has a dead subpixel. A red one, actually, so it's about as hard to notice on this color of board (or a white one, for that matter) as physically possible.
cephalopod9 wrote:Only on Xkcd can you start a topic involving Hitler and people spend the better part of half a dozen pages arguing about the quality of Operating Systems.

Baige.

Arancaytar

Postby Arancaytar » Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:04 am UTC

Steve the Pocket wrote:This got me thinking, is there any particular reason, aside from the fact that random chance will occasionally make it happen, why all three subpixels of a given pixel would be dead at once, as seems to be the case at least as often as not?

There are different points of failure in the monitor, each of which would result in dead pixels in different combinations. For example, as I was just told in the Hardware forum, my monitor has malfunctioning pixel controllers that caused a whole line of pixels to die. I guess that a different malfunction could kill all three sub-pixels in a particular point.

jayhawk wrote:Did this comic make anyone else think about "The Nine Billion Names of God"?

Yes.
"You cannot dual-wield the sharks. One is enough." -Our DM.

insom

Postby insom » Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:56 pm UTC

FinalSin wrote:
DSDM wrote:
Degaussing the matrix would make for a spectacular light show.

Dude, what did you think the Aurora Borealis was? :lol:

Some bored guy with a really big magnet.

That would be Ludvig XIV then?
Normal cynics think they are realists. Hardcore cynics know they are optimists.
Woo I draw stuff - how incredibly awesome

Plasma Man
Location: Northampton, Northampton, Northampton middle England.

Postby Plasma Man » Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:29 pm UTC

notzeb wrote:Aw, Randall just missed the perfect opportunity to use the word "voxel".

Imagine if the voxel was defined by 6 pixels, but only three contiguous ones were broken. From some angles you'd see a dead voxel, but if you walked around it to the other side you couldn't see it.

Hang on! RAINBOWS!
Please note that despite the lovely avatar Sungura gave me, I am not a medical doctor.

Possibly my proudest moment on the fora.

Kirikasama

Postby Kirikasama » Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:04 pm UTC

athelas wrote:The style of this comic reminds me of A Softer World.

I actually clicked on this thread to post that, the similarity must be pretty clear then. It's actually the only webcomic I prefer to xkcd.

sjm27

Postby sjm27 » Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:45 pm UTC

Like the song says:
"There's a hole in the sky, something evil's passing by"

I'm showing my age quoting this, but it seems apt.

Jamaican Castle

Postby Jamaican Castle » Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:56 pm UTC

UmbralRaptor wrote:...now where is the documentation to the universe? And is there any chance I could get the source code and a good compiler?

Sure. All you have to do is fall asleep reading a Lisp book.

Unfortunately, there isn't any documentation on quantum mechanics.

Elridge

Postby Elridge » Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:03 pm UTC

saxmaniac1987 wrote:
Degaussing the matrix would make for a spectacular light show.

And seizures. Lots and lots of them. All at once.

But since dead pixels don't happen on CRTs, the matrix is LCD. So degaussing would not exist?

In my humble (and unfortunate) experience, i can tell that dead pixels DO happen on CRT's... I once bought a cheap 17" CRT because of it's good max resolution (1600x1200) and had to change it because of a dead pixel... And even then, the replacement had a dead subpixel. I finally changed it for another one of a respectable brand.

PhantomReality wrote:A lot of Pro-Matrix stuff

Yeah, but I hated the Dune ripoff on the third movie.

DSDM wrote:A lot of times when I'm skimming through a book or magazine article looking for a specific piece of text I catch myself feeling frustrated that I can't just hit ctrl+f to search for the relevant words.

It happens to me all the time, too! But then i just download a digital version of the book and use the search function on it.

Black ICE

Postby Black ICE » Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:09 pm UTC

Heres a good question, how many frames per sec. dose life project? :shock: I've wondered how many fps the human eye can record for some time now as well.

sonicspike41

Postby sonicspike41 » Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:18 pm UTC

I often stand around at work thinking, "I wish I could hold tab and speed through work." Then there's those times I want to hold tab to load sites and programs faster.

For some reason just hearing people say they joked about life's resolution, and that "insisting real life objects are photoshopped" makes me want to do those things. Every time I see a "My Hobby" comic I feel like trying it out afterwards.

UmbralRaptor

Postby UmbralRaptor » Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:49 pm UTC

Black ICE wrote:Heres a good question, how many frames per sec. dose life project? :shock: I've wondered how many fps the human eye can record for some time now as well.

~10^43 fps. Maybe.

As for the human eye, it's complicated. There's a lot of dropoff between 10 and 20 fps, but depending on the situation and individual (eg: fighter pilots), the limit can be as high as 100 fps.
Why do you assume that I exist?

Jiggsy

Postby Jiggsy » Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:23 am UTC

Linux0s wrote:Obviously we need a better universe screen saver. ~Linux0s

Can you imagine some of the shitty windows screensavers being displayed up on the sky? 3d text and pipes would be freakin awesome!

Or even if we 'installed' the Matrix screensaver...

All this makes me think though... what's a dual monitor setup like in the matrix then?
Oh, Miss Pacman, I would sex that bow right off your head. Eat those dots you naughty, naughty girl.- The Todd

pinkgothic

Postby pinkgothic » Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:52 am UTC

sjm27 wrote:Like the song says:
"There's a hole in the sky, something evil's passing by"

Or the off-tune Aperture variant: "There's a hole in the sky, through which things can fly."
Stuff: own scribblings; favourite mewsic: luxuria & @440; underrated game

nobahdi

Postby nobahdi » Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:15 am UTC

Everyone knows life has no resolution... it's vectorized; that way its fully scalable.

Markavian

Postby Markavian » Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:48 am UTC

MrAlex wrote:Could someone point me the "print screen" button? There was this really hot girl in the street and...
No, wait, better set-up time-shifting...

What you want is photographic contact lenses that capture everything you see. Soon we'll have terabyte ssd that you can carry around with you and record everything you see and do... (then all we need is video search/indexing to flick back and forth through our lives...)

Give it a few years maybe, : )

Edit: How many dead pixels would you get out of this?

rrwoods

Postby rrwoods » Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:32 pm UTC

pinkgothic wrote:Or the off-tune Aperture variant: "There's a hole in the sky, through which you can fly."

Fix'd. ;-)
Pwn't.
Last edited by rrwoods on Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:04 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
31/M/taken/US
age/gender/interest/country

Belial wrote:The sex card is tournament legal. And I am tapping it for, like, six mana.

petermottola

Postby petermottola » Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:37 pm UTC

Heh, suggested soundtrack for this comic: "Morning Has Broken".

zenten

Postby zenten » Fri Mar 14, 2008 5:48 pm UTC

Jamaican Castle wrote:
UmbralRaptor wrote:...now where is the documentation to the universe? And is there any chance I could get the source code and a good compiler?

Sure. All you have to do is fall asleep reading a Lisp book.

Unfortunately, there isn't any documentation on quantum mechanics.

Well, there is, but it's just a man page listing some of the use flags.

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:42 am UTC

rrwoods wrote:
pinkgothic wrote:Or the off-tune Aperture variant: "There's a hole in the sky, through which you can fly."

Fix'd. ;-)

Hmm? I just checked, it's definitely "things".

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

netsplit
Location: Z̈̓̾̾̀̉ͬ̅ͯͪͬ̚͢͏̴̝̝̩̳͙͘a̷̧̰̥̯͎͍͍̻̮͔̭̰̗̺̩̐̀͛͐ͥ͐ͨ͆̀̉̐̌̅͑ͣ͟ͅľ̸̠̟̭̲̜̹̗͎͍̗̤͖̤͕̣̝̀̊̑ͯͬ͌̍ͬ͂ͤ͛̀̚g̍̅́ͮ̌̏ͣ́̀͏͍

Postby netsplit » Sun Mar 16, 2008 3:10 am UTC

I just can't get over how nice everything looks on my monitor now that it's clean.

I want to hug Randle.
from da craddle to da grave, geek life 4 eva
better show hardcore respect ya'll

JayDee wrote:"What is the difference between erotic and kinky? Erotic is using a feather. Kinky is using the whole Dinosaur."

rrwoods

Postby rrwoods » Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:04 pm UTC

phlip wrote:
rrwoods wrote:

Fix'd. ;-)

Hmm? I just checked, it's definitely "things".

Well damn. I usually have a better memory than that.
31/M/taken/US
age/gender/interest/country

Belial wrote:The sex card is tournament legal. And I am tapping it for, like, six mana.

Insidious612

Postby Insidious612 » Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:39 pm UTC

Just registered to note that when you were born with only one functioning eye, like I was, the line between life and virtual reality becomes even more blurred. :P

netsplit
Location: Z̈̓̾̾̀̉ͬ̅ͯͪͬ̚͢͏̴̝̝̩̳͙͘a̷̧̰̥̯͎͍͍̻̮͔̭̰̗̺̩̐̀͛͐ͥ͐ͨ͆̀̉̐̌̅͑ͣ͟ͅľ̸̠̟̭̲̜̹̗͎͍̗̤͖̤͕̣̝̀̊̑ͯͬ͌̍ͬ͂ͤ͛̀̚g̍̅́ͮ̌̏ͣ́̀͏͍

Postby netsplit » Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:39 am UTC

Insidious612 wrote:Just registered to note that when you were born with only one functioning eye, like I was, the line between life and virtual reality becomes even more blurred. :P

Ahh a fellow person with no depth perception. I don't have it either. Catching something in the air is tricky, especially if it ain't quite the size you think it is.
from da craddle to da grave, geek life 4 eva
better show hardcore respect ya'll

JayDee wrote:"What is the difference between erotic and kinky? Erotic is using a feather. Kinky is using the whole Dinosaur."

mudge

Postby mudge » Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:38 am UTC

Insidious612 wrote:Just registered to note that when you were born with only one functioning eye, like I was, the line between life and virtual reality becomes even more blurred. :P

.)
http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/mudge <-- buy my CD (Now back in stock!)

Agaeki

Postby Agaeki » Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:29 pm UTC

Look! What's that up in the sky?

Is it a bird?

Is it a plane?

Obvious gag. I suppose we could use superman to poke at dead pixels if we got any. Or Neo. Or a really really tall person.

Mr. Beck
Commencing Countdown, Engines On

Postby Mr. Beck » Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:25 pm UTC

nobahdi wrote:Everyone knows life has no resolution... it's vectorized; that way its fully scalable.

Not true; it's 1.6 × 10−35 (sort of).

ManaUser

Postby ManaUser » Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:08 am UTC

Zafsk wrote:Psh, dead pixels are one thing. Can you imagine complete video driver failure!?

I don't have to imagine it, I just had a chance to see it! I went to a show at the Griffith Observatory's planetarium, and about five minutes in, as the dome was showing a lovely evening sky it suddenly went all out of whack. Basically it was scrambled in large rectangular blocks. Additionally it became apparent that the sky was made from two halves which no longer matched up.

But they fixed the technical problems after a couple minutes and the show (Centered in the Universe) was pretty cool.

Lukeonia1

Postby Lukeonia1 » Wed May 26, 2010 7:35 am UTC

Wheee, bumping an old thread!

I just realized, I think Randall took some creative license with dead sub-pixels to make this comic. An actual single dead sub-pixel wouldn't result in a red or green pixel, it would result in a cyan, yellow, or magenta pixel.

Here's a normal LCD display close-up, and normal scale:
dead-none.gif
dead-none.gif (2.11 KiB) Viewed 2677 times

(Each pixel consists of a red, green, and blue sub-pixel, in that order. Hence, this image is 5x5 pixels.)

Here's what a normal dead pixel looks like, and how it would appear on your monitor:
dead-pixel.gif
dead-pixel.gif (2.11 KiB) Viewed 2677 times

And here's what normal dead sub-pixels look like, and how they'd appear:
dead-sub-pixels.gif
dead-sub-pixels.gif (2.29 KiB) Viewed 2677 times

(You might need a magnifying glass for this one.)

But on the comic, to produce a red or green pixel, TWO sub-pixels have to be out, like this:
dead-r-g.gif
dead-r-g.gif (2.21 KiB) Viewed 2677 times

For that to happen, two sub-pixels would have to die together in one pixel, and I wouldn't think that would happen very often. Even changing the arrangement of the sub-pixels (RBG instead of RGB, for example) wouldn't help. Even worse, the sky would likely be some shade of cyan, which wouldn't have any red in it anyway.

But then again, I suppose a yellow or cyan pixel would be a lot harder to spot in the comic.

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Wed May 26, 2010 11:00 pm UTC

Lukeonia1 wrote:Even worse, the sky would likely be some shade of cyan, which wouldn't have any red in it anyway.

Sky blue is very light and desaturated... there's plenty of all colours there, just more blue than red.

Good point with the rest of it, though. I was going to suggest that maybe the screen isn't RGB, but some other colour system... but I don't think a colour system exists where you can change white to red by only changing one value, but which still has the range to cover most human-visible colours... Green I think might be possible, but I'm not sure, I don't know enough details about human vision (I dabble, 'cause it's very interesting and more complicated than you'd think, but only know the basics).

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

RebeccaRGB

Postby RebeccaRGB » Wed May 26, 2010 11:19 pm UTC

I didn't notice the "dead pixels" until I came to this thread either. But that may be because my GPU has started to fail, and I'm used to ignoring random cyan pixels, yellow gradient sweeps, and scanlines of garbage. :)
Stephen Hawking: Great. The entire universe was destroyed.
Fry: Destroyed? Then where are we now?
Al Gore: I don't know. But I can darn well tell you where we're not—the universe!

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”