0395: "Morning"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

michaelandjimi
Isn't Even Playing

Re: "Morning" Discussion

Postby michaelandjimi » Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:33 am UTC

I saw them first time around, but they were black! Now they are clearly red and green.

Who's been messing with reality?
Whelan wrote:Relax, have a good time, and hope for the bees ;)

LassLisa

Postby LassLisa » Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:51 am UTC

I had to scroll up and down a few times to see the "dead pixels" on the strip past the dead pixels on my monitor... my brain just edits 'em out now.

JBridge

Postby JBridge » Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:57 am UTC

Just imagine if life had a console...

Code: Select all

/save
/god
/give nuke

You can guess what I'm going for.

Make sure you have fraps running, though. Something like this needs to go on YouTube.

~Joel

P.S. What I described is already a feature in Garry's Mod. Very good for getting revenge on those goddamn Hunters.

Stickfodder
Location: it changes according to my mood i could be here i could be two inches to the left

Postby Stickfodder » Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:03 am UTC

mudge wrote:
Kaiyas wrote:
mudge wrote:
space_raptor wrote:I thought they'd already found the maximum resolution at which the human eye could theoretically see at. If that makes sense.

Oh yeah:

sorry

So, I can tell there are orange circles and green circles, and the orange ones spell out words, but I couldn't make the words out clearly until I went into photoshop.

Am I slightly colorblind? Do the words pop out for anybody?

Wow....I feel bad for you. :(

Yes, it's a bit funny to read, but not illegible if you try.

Hah, don't worry about it. For one, I haven't been taking a vow of silence so that I can get be a fighter pilot, and for another, if you were to point at a specific dot and say "Is this orange or green?" I would be able to tell you exactly which one it was. The edges of the letters are just a little hard to determine without focusing specifically and playing connect the dots.

wait what about becoming a fighter pilot? If you cant read that even though you can see the different colors i hope you never have to fly over open ocean on a day with a clear blue sky

FinalSin

Postby FinalSin » Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:03 am UTC

DSDM wrote:
Degaussing the matrix would make for a spectacular light show.

Dude, what did you think the Aurora Borealis was? :lol:

Some bored guy with a really big magnet.

Avoidist

Postby Avoidist » Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:39 am UTC

FinalSin wrote:
DSDM wrote:

Some bored guy with a really big magnet.

I think you're bordering on Gaia theory there.

Seeing dead pixels really isn't that strange. I always say: "If you aren't seeing dead pixels, then you haven't been staring at the Sun long enough".

Emperorsteele

Postby Emperorsteele » Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:45 am UTC

.. the dead pixels look red and green to me =/

zonk

Postby zonk » Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:50 am UTC

Steve the Pocket wrote:I believe the technical term for this is "macular degeneration."

There's no end to the technology jokes you can make about The Matrix. For example:

One word:

noclip.

noclip? only thing i associate that with is a cheat code in star wars jedi knight 2, where it makes you able to go through walls and just fly everywhere
Chowder: Yes, umm, are you nuts? I don't wanna steal drugs from my Father, I don't wanna go inside a monster, and I don't wanna die!
Jenny: I say its worth a shot.
Chowder: Yes I agree. Let's do it.

AdmiralJustin

Postby AdmiralJustin » Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:05 am UTC

zonk wrote:
Steve the Pocket wrote:I believe the technical term for this is "macular degeneration."

There's no end to the technology jokes you can make about The Matrix. For example:

One word:

noclip.

noclip? only thing i associate that with is a cheat code in star wars jedi knight 2, where it makes you able to go through walls and just fly everywhere

That would be the point.

give.player admiraljustin dollars.american 100000000
I was sane once, but I'm better now!

Vanishing Hitchhiker

Postby Vanishing Hitchhiker » Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:10 am UTC

The second I read the second panel I stopped and looked for fake dead pixels. I was pleasantly surprised to see they were in color though.

Spill Wooner wrote:It's probably best that more people aren't getting this. I shudder to think what would happen if the MMORPG crowd spilled over into Life.

If I had a nickel for every guild I've heard of called "Fat Kids Lag IRL"... *shudder*
could it be that she was the sister of the boy in Kansas who loved the girl with the tattered shawl who was the daughter of the maid who had escaped from the pirates?

Domovoi

Postby Domovoi » Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:28 am UTC

'; DROP DATABASE;-- wrote:I swear the other day I saw jagged edges. Like how on low-res stuff like N64 games you can see the pixels at the edge of a polygon. And these were fucking big too, must have been like 1 square inch per pixel! I wonder WTF was going on that the resolution had to drop so low for such a short time.

Oh my god, I see them too!

Somebody fix the anti-aliasing, guys!

Dobblesworth
Dobblesworth, here's the title you requested over three years ago. -Banana

Postby Dobblesworth » Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:36 am UTC

This LCD monitor of mine must be at a far denser resolution setting than intended, as I didn't even notice the nanoscopic red/green dots until reading this fora topic in bemusement, then going back with the on-creen magnifier to find them. Very subtle.

I have seen the Matrix, but the dead pixels joke threw me off as I don't think I've had one of those experiences yet.

Initially I thought it was a nerd's way of looking up one morning to find a star/moon in the sky had gone supernova/been destroyed respectively, which from a distance might be one pixel's worth of sky...

I suppose the figure, trees, landscape and text really divert your attention away from those 3 (initially 2) harmless pinpricks in the sky, unless you instantly get the reference, which I don't... AGAIN :evil:

Yla

Postby Yla » Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:38 am UTC

Last night, I watched Matrix 3 and surfed the IMDB trivia for the trilogy. Now this. :P

Avoidist wrote:Seeing dead pixels really isn't that strange. I always say: "If you aren't seeing dead pixels, then you haven't been staring at the Sun long enough".

It don't have to be the Sun. Any lamp going out, leaving the room in darkness, will also do.
Time is a face on the water.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:50 am UTC

The only problem with this comic is that the Matrix isn't deep and makes a shitty philosophical talk point.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

keozen
The Bearded FaiD Batman

Postby keozen » Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:56 am UTC

Yeah, there may be the odd dead pixel or two in the sky but nature is beautiful when up and running well. On a good day you can see all the way to the clipping plane

1=0

Postby 1=0 » Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:10 am UTC

DSDM wrote:

Exactly my thought. I was gonna post it but you beat me to it... (dis)advantages of living on the wrong continent.

(And yes, you're right of course. Besides, considering the tech available at the time, I doubt they had a big enough LCD for the sky so it _is_ a CRT :mrgreen: )

PS: thanks for pointing the presence of "dead" pixels in the comic... I had managed to miss them. That'll teach me a) that I'm apparently a n00b and b) to pay really attention to what Mr Munro does :oops:
I feel diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Ari

Postby Ari » Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:22 am UTC

woktiny wrote:
DSDM wrote:

Dude, what did you think the Aurora Borealis is? :lol:

Fix'd

You forgot to add Aurora Australis. :)

One word:

noclip.

Suddenly I vaguely wished the Ghosts in the sequel said that. And let's just quickly pre-emptively address all the coming comments: Yes, we all know the sequels sucked. :)

Gelsamel wrote:The only problem with this comic is that the Matrix isn't deep and makes a shitty philosophical talk point.

It's not original philosophy, but many people certainly regard it as deep. Again, sadly, there was little follow-up to that angle in the second and third movies, sadly.
"Hey %*&^er, offensive communication works fine so long as you do it respectfully." :D
"I am so quoting that out of context at a later date."

transpetaflops

Postby transpetaflops » Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:28 am UTC

But since the pixels are red and green, aren't they in fact "stuck" pixels? "Dead" pixels are just dead = black. Will the Matrix change now...?

Greyjoy

Postby Greyjoy » Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:34 am UTC

Stickfodder wrote:
mudge wrote:Hah, don't worry about it. For one, I haven't been taking a vow of silence so that I can get be a fighter pilot, and for another, if you were to point at a specific dot and say "Is this orange or green?" I would be able to tell you exactly which one it was. The edges of the letters are just a little hard to determine without focusing specifically and playing connect the dots.

wait what about becoming a fighter pilot? If you cant read that even though you can see the different colors i hope you never have to fly over open ocean on a day with a clear blue sky

It's a Little Miss Sunshine reference.

Domovoi

Postby Domovoi » Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:42 am UTC

transpetaflops wrote:But since the pixels are red and green, aren't they in fact "stuck" pixels? "Dead" pixels are just dead = black. Will the Matrix change now...?

"Dead" or "stuck" doesn't refer to color. If it's black, all subpixels are dead/stuck. If it's a color, then one or two subpixels are dead/stuck. So in this case, the sky is actually experiencing dead subpixels.

Pixel

Postby Pixel » Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:24 pm UTC

AHHHHHHH!!!!!!
Some people have a genuine gift of poetry, a way with words that surpasses beauty and touches the deepest parts of one's soul... and some people, um, thingy.

"Less bite, more wobble"

jeremy.degroot

Postby jeremy.degroot » Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:31 pm UTC

I wonder why dead pixels in the sky would be red and green -- I always figured they'd be the color of television, tuned to a dead channel.

rrwoods

Postby rrwoods » Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:52 pm UTC

Gelsamel wrote:The only problem with this comic is that the Matrix isn't deep and makes several shitty philosophical talk points.

Fix'd. The Matrix doesn't fail hard at philosophy just once, it does it on several levels. Even more if we count the whole trilogy.

Still a great fun movie that everyone should see though.
31/M/taken/US
age/gender/interest/country

Belial wrote:The sex card is tournament legal. And I am tapping it for, like, six mana.

DragonHawk

Postby DragonHawk » Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:53 pm UTC

rwald wrote:I'd bet something like 70% of all people reading this had to clean their screens first.

Pfft. Clean my monitor? Hell, no. I just moved the mouse pointer around to see what specs the pointer covered up and what specs covered the pointer. That's why we have mice attached to computers, you know, as a screen test mechanism.
-----
Ari wrote:Suddenly I vaguely wished the Ghosts in the sequel said that [noclip]. And let's just quickly pre-emptively address all the coming comments: Yes, we all know the sequels sucked.

But the freeway fight scene was worth seeing the second movie for.

Well, that, and Monica Bellucci. ;-) :twisted: :)
Ben'); DROP TABLE Users;--

GENERATION 42: The first time you see this, copy it into yοur sig on any forum and stick a fork in yοur еyе. Social experiment.

schrodingersduck

Postby schrodingersduck » Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:21 pm UTC

Domovoi wrote:
transpetaflops wrote:But since the pixels are red and green, aren't they in fact "stuck" pixels? "Dead" pixels are just dead = black. Will the Matrix change now...?

"Dead" or "stuck" doesn't refer to color. If it's black, all subpixels are dead/stuck. If it's a color, then one or two subpixels are dead/stuck. So in this case, the sky is actually experiencing dead subpixels.

Yeah - when I heard about the dead pixels for the DS, I thought it meant black, until funny yellow-green specks started appearing on the display.

Speaking of which, how many pixels have to go before we can claim a refund from God?

zenten

Postby zenten » Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:32 pm UTC

mudge wrote:
space_raptor wrote:I thought they'd already found the maximum resolution at which the human eye could theoretically see at. If that makes sense.

Oh yeah:

sorry

So, I can tell there are orange circles and green circles, and the orange ones spell out words, but I couldn't make the words out clearly until I went into photoshop.

The last word looks like "Bund" to me, but otherwise I can read it properly (and I was able to easily work it out from context).

uberben

Postby uberben » Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:36 pm UTC

i definitely wasn't looking at my screen while the comic was loading and the first thing i thought when i looked at the screen was "no! dead pixels!" and then i moved the browser window and saw it was in fact part of the comic and then read that it was about dead pixels and then i laughed

tgape

Postby tgape » Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:49 pm UTC

phlip wrote:Possibly, but it's just as likely that your screen doesn't show those colours with as much contrast as mine. If you've got a cheap monitor, or a cheap video card, or haven't spent ages obsessively twerking the settings, then it's likely your screen doesn't quite match the standard (if there even is a standard).

Note that if you just bought a <insert name of real computer here>, none of that time twerking the settings would be needed. (That's why they cost so much - they pay someone else to spend ages obsessively twerking the settings for you!)

DSDM

Postby DSDM » Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:51 pm UTC

iddqd
idkfa

rrwoods

Postby rrwoods » Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:03 pm UTC

DSDM wrote:iddqd
idkfa

Pshaw, so cliché. You *know* that idbeholdi would be infinitely cool. Especially if it wears off while someone is looking at you.

EDIT: Or hell, iddtiddt -- "Yeah, I know you're at the store. I can see you." *cue twilight zone music*
31/M/taken/US
age/gender/interest/country

Belial wrote:The sex card is tournament legal. And I am tapping it for, like, six mana.

DragonHawk

Postby DragonHawk » Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:08 pm UTC

idkfa

idspispopd

You have to love smashing pumpkins into small piles of putrid debris!
Ben'); DROP TABLE Users;--

GENERATION 42: The first time you see this, copy it into yοur sig on any forum and stick a fork in yοur еyе. Social experiment.

tradiuz

Postby tradiuz » Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:11 pm UTC

idkfa

Damn you for beating me to it. Degreelessness (You know, I never really got the joke til now... how sad) mode for the win.

I must have typed IDDQD in at some point in life, because I have no degree, but I have an awesome job.

I wonder if "idclev tahiti" would work
All My Mushrooms wrote:I'm practicing abstinence until someone offers me sex.

PatrickRsGhost

Postby PatrickRsGhost » Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:18 pm UTC

This reminds me of the Photoshops comic. You get so used to seeing things in digital that it's hard to not see them in the real world.
PRG

An important message for you:

savvu

Postby savvu » Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:23 pm UTC

"it is the length scale at which the structure of spacetime becomes dominated by quantum effects, giving it a discrete or foamy structure"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planck_length

So the resolution of life is about 6.27e32 DPI:
http://www.google.com/search?q=1%20inch ... 20c%5e3%29

und3rdark

Postby und3rdark » Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:35 pm UTC

A-A-B-B-UP-UP-DOWN-DOWN-LEFT-RIGHT-LEFT-RIGHT-START
"The impulse to discriminate is a feature of our brains. We look for patterns and make decisions based on them. Sometimes the patterns are illusions, and we come to irrational conclusions."
-Scott Adams

jc
Location: Waltham, Massachusetts, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy

Postby jc » Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:36 pm UTC

ModerateClasshole wrote:
mudge wrote:
space_raptor wrote:Image

They pop out for me, but the differing sizes of the circles delays me "spelling out" the words in my head for a moment or two. Makes me actually have to stop and think for once.

Same here, though to read them easily, I used the same trick that makes the "dead pixels" stand out against the dust grains on the screen: Grab the scrollbar and move it up and down slowly. I find that this makes such things stand out better. With the color-blind insult image, it also works if I sorta "fuzz" my eyes to blur the details. That doesn't work for the dead pixels in the comic, of course, any better than it works with real dead pixels on a screen.

PhantomReality

Postby PhantomReality » Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:51 pm UTC

Gelsamel wrote:The only problem with this comic is that the Matrix isn't deep and makes a shitty philosophical talk point.

That's fucking harsh man. The people who usually discuss it are tards, this is true (I was one of them for a long time), but it touches on some seriously deep shit. To misquote Larry and Andy: bringing existentialism, transcendental thought, and universal religious symbolism to the general idiotic public through cyberpunk robots vs digital ninjas. Give it some credit yo.

If you say that it makes for shitty philisophical talk then you're not giving the movie enough credit for it's allusions. Even more so in the second and third movies...even if they did kind of suck ass as movies, they did have a ton of symbolism and brought up some interesting points, and at the very least created an awesome visual depiction of varying philisophical ideas. Like how many thought experiments can you do with the train station? Purgatory in the 21st century anyone?

Hope: the quintessential human delusion, simultaneously the source of your greatest strength and greatest weakness. That's a pretty profound statement and I think it would make for great philisophical talk. That conversation between Neo and the Architect is basically modeled after a Socratic dialog...

Okay Matrix fanboy is done with his wall of text now. *runs off to find a Matrix discussion thread*
DROP ACID NOT BOMBS.

MarioMaster151

Postby MarioMaster151 » Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:28 pm UTC

i am red-green colorblind, so can someone tell me what the posted colorblind test actually says?

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:50 pm UTC

"Fuck the Colorblind"
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

Supa-Man

Postby Supa-Man » Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:54 pm UTC

This seems more along the lines of The Truman Show than The Matrix. There wouldn't be dead pixels if the image was broadcast directly into our brains.

I must now go outside and scan the sky for dead pixels.
Ar!!!!!

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”