0400: "Important Life Lesson"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Puzzlemaker

Re: "Important Life Lesson" Discussion

Postby Puzzlemaker » Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:31 am UTC

This is an example of "Does the extra detail cause it to be bad?"

A good example is the webcomic Girl Genius.

My friend mentioned that the name was slightly sexist because it implicitly defined the genius as a girl, therefore making it seem like it was an abnormality. I view it as just more detail in a story, it's describing what the story is about, which is a Girl Genius.

Depending on how you view it, it can go either way.
RezardVareth wrote:Bad argumentation can be painful to answer, but responding with empty logic just perpetuates the cycle.

russianspy1234

Postby russianspy1234 » Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:33 am UTC

Puzzlemaker wrote:This is an example of "Does the extra detail cause it to be bad?"

A good example is the webcomic Girl Genius.

My friend mentioned that the name was slightly sexist because it implicitly defined the genius as a girl, therefore making it seem like it was an abnormality. I view it as just more detail in a story, it's describing what the story is about, which is a Girl Genius.

Depending on how you view it, it can go either way.

Well, considering there is also a phrase "boy genius" I don't think that title is particularly sexist.

batkatt

Postby batkatt » Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:36 am UTC

:roll: Why put in who you were having sex with at all in any of the stories, then, in that case? I'm confused as to why MY specifics are seen as bragging (or worse, controversial), when any of the other stories, many of which are much more graphic than mine were, are perfectly fine. I have group sex sometimes. To me, it's absolutely no big deal, nothing to brag about, but nothing to hide either. If people don't like how open I am about it, well, they can stick to reading the more graphic descriptions of straight people sex.

We're discussing a specific comic about sex and music. My funny sex stories that involve music happen to involve more than one sex partner.

Besides, if I really wanted to brag or shock people.... I'll put it behind spoiler tags to save people's delicate sensibilities
Spoiler:
I'd talk about the time when I ended up in bed with 3 guys and another girl. That was... interesting and complicated. But there was no music involved, so it's not really relevant to the discussion about the comic. :wink:

Zelda Death

Postby Zelda Death » Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:19 am UTC

kaleidors wrote:It's not listed on his Wierd Al Catologue or Complete Discography. Wierd Al gets a lot of parody songs misattributed to him, since he's the most famous at that particular style of parody. But he always writes family friendly stuff, so that's usually a big tip off. I like small butts seem to be equally attributed to him or adam sandler (not in his discography either).

*edit/forgot to preview, had a quote error that needed fixing.

Well, I do have a few like "What if God Smoked Cannabis?" that are under Weird Al cause I don't know who actually did it. But "I Like Small Butts" and "With Legs Wide Open" sound exactly like him. "With Legs Wide Open" could be Adam Sandler, I guess, but it's a damn good impersonation then.

Also, I just found an entire recording of the 99 bottles of beer on the wall song on my computer. That would be incredible to hump to.

nightwing2024

Postby nightwing2024 » Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:28 am UTC

Now THAT would be some stamina.
Nightwing - Renders sexual innuendo obsolete.

ohki

Postby ohki » Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:14 am UTC

Heh, shuffle.. that could be awkward, but I think I can beat it. When I was living on campus last year, I had three roommates, but we all had separate rooms, connected by a common area.

One of them made a habit of practicing the banjo in said common area. The... rest of the story kinda tells itself...
But it raining and me peeing on your foot are NOT mutually exclusive.
"Isn't arrogance measured in nano-Dijkstra's?"- Alan Kay

Shai

Postby Shai » Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:14 am UTC

Ehehe, I couldn't help but LoL to that. Not only the stamina, but keeping a straight face doing it. Damn. I think I'd break into laughter after at most getting to 80 bottles.
I blame lag.

nightwing2024

Postby nightwing2024 » Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:23 am UTC

I think keeping in time to the song without blowing your load would be the hardest part. That and drinking while having sex is harder than it sounds.

Shai

Postby Shai » Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:51 am UTC

I think the pace is too slow, *especially* when drinking, that it would be a problem. To each his own, though. I agree about teh sex and booze, though. There's an optimal level of alcohol consumption for any activity, and it's reaching this optimum that's the tricksy bit.
I blame lag.

ohki

Postby ohki » Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:21 am UTC

Shai wrote:I think the pace is too slow, *especially* when drinking, that it would be a problem. To each his own, though. I agree about teh sex and booze, though. There's an optimal level of alcohol consumption for any activity, and it's reaching this optimum that's the tricksy bit.

Now, the question is, what do we call this peak? We certainly can't call it a Ballmer Peak...
But it raining and me peeing on your foot are NOT mutually exclusive.
"Isn't arrogance measured in nano-Dijkstra's?"- Alan Kay

nightwing2024

Postby nightwing2024 » Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:33 am UTC

Morballs Peak?

VelociraptorEvader

Postby VelociraptorEvader » Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:40 am UTC

this was absolute gold. Did everyone else think of Randall rushing to his computer to hit pause, in mid-stroke?? haha hilarious thought.

Toxic Seamonkey

Postby Toxic Seamonkey » Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:50 pm UTC

Am I the only person who thought of how contextually appropriate Godot's theme is?

PMental

Postby PMental » Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:34 pm UTC

Yet another to register for just this thread :)

Never happened to me as I don't have music playing whilst in the sex act.

Songs to avoid definitely include this one though: http://youtube.com/watch?v=yWCXhRFMcWI
___
Your brother, your cousin, your auntie's a bitch
Your brother, your cousin, your auntie's a bitch

Bitch Bitch Bitch Bitch Bitch Bitch Bitch Bitch Bitch Bitch Bitch Bitch Bitch Bitch Bitch

Your grandma, your auntie, your uncle is gay
Your grandma, your auntie, your uncle is gay

Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay
____
And so on. Actually, any Ghetto Bass/Tech is probably to avoid.

Also Nine Inch Nails "Closer" is *probably* something to avoid. http://youtube.com/watch?v=QWncI51ggH8

It's actually very romantic, albeit in a quite twisted way...

"You let me violate you, you let me desecrate you
You let me penetrate you, you let me complicate you
Help me I broke apart my insides, help me Ive got no
Soul to tell
Help me the only thing that works for me, help me get
Away from myself
I want to f**k you like an animal
I want to feel you from the inside
I want to f**k you like an animal
My whole existence is flawed
You get me closer to god"

Zuntrios
Location: Currently buried in the latest game I'm programming.

Postby Zuntrios » Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:49 pm UTC

dianagram wrote:
Zuntrios wrote:But, yeah. I always turn off the music when there is a chance of anything happening, seeing as how none of my music library actually has good music for such activities... Unless you get into say... "The Devil Went Down to Georgia", or the Zelda 2 temple theme....

Too bad no one has rewritten the Charlie Daniels song as "The Devil Went Down ON Georgia" :D

You mean something to the effect of...

"The Devil went down on Georgia,
He was looking for a hole to fill.
He was feelin' fine,
As he thrust in time,
Cause she was ready to seal the deal."

Yeah. I know the rhyme scheme sucks. I came up with that while I was eating dinner last night...
Algebra has been around for a very long time now, so why on Earth is x still unknown?!

That_one_guy
Location: Denton, Texas, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Universe #24

Postby That_one_guy » Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:49 pm UTC

Stupid MF by MSI would be hard to keep up with, and I'd probably end up singing along. :(
Стюарт's My name, Перевод вещей, используя Google's my game.

GENERATION 41i: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and subtract 1 from the generation. Social experiment.

Maseiken
The Candylawyer

Postby Maseiken » Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:54 pm UTC

Pretty much any Dethklok song would probably be best avoided...
Except Kill you.
That one's good for the ladies...
"GRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOWR!!!!"
(Translation: "Objection!")

Maseiken had the ball at the top of the key...

Steve the Pocket

Postby Steve the Pocket » Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:26 am UTC

CasualSax wrote:As for my own playlist, I'd have to say that Group X's Bang-Bang-Bang song would be the most awkward, but any number of Veggie Tale songs would cause a major mood change.

That's one of the ones that would be bad if it came on when you're just cuddling on the couch or something innocent like that. Especially if they're the kind of person who'd worry "But what if it meant something? Like if it's a sign or something?"

...Not that any of us would date that kind of person. Science geeks and all.
cephalopod9 wrote:Only on Xkcd can you start a topic involving Hitler and people spend the better part of half a dozen pages arguing about the quality of Operating Systems.

Baige.

edanite

Postby edanite » Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:23 am UTC

StarLite wrote:Hungry cats walking around the bed are very good at disturbing the mood as well ... :P

Dromaeosaurids would be worse.

nightwing2024

Postby nightwing2024 » Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:34 am UTC

Zuntrios wrote:
You mean something to the effect of...

"The Devil went down on Georgia,
He was looking for a hole to fill.
He was feelin' fine,
As he thrust in time,
Cause she was ready to seal the deal."

Yeah. I know the rhyme scheme sucks. I came up with that while I was eating dinner last night...

Win.

LeapingLizards

Postby LeapingLizards » Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:26 pm UTC

personally, Closer by NIN would be at the top of my "love makin' playlist", but me and mine are kinda weird like that.

But worst song to come on random, Yakkety Sax. Or any ragtime; it would be like having sex in a Shakey's Pizza.

kanavazk

Postby kanavazk » Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:20 pm UTC

http://free.house.cx/~eil/etc/notal.html

^-- Lists most songs that have been misattributed to "Weird Al".
THIS IS FROM THE INTERENT!

neo cassady

Postby neo cassady » Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:56 am UTC

I've kind of come to expect being interrupted by the sounds of my roommate playing Rock Band on drums in the other room.

VectorZero

Postby VectorZero » Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:13 am UTC

tradiuz wrote:Bloodhound Gang - A Lap Dance is So Much Better when the Stripper is Crying

That one might even beat out Bad Touch.

Apparently so
Van wrote:Fireballs don't lie.

CasualSax

Postby CasualSax » Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:53 pm UTC

Tephlon wrote:Another one for the list:
"Bohemian Rhapsody"...

As for the hand on head thing, it's all about trust (not thrust ;-)) and respect. I like it when my GF uses grabs my head during, and she likes it when I do. Then again, we've been together longer than some people are married, so...

Sour Apple wrote:
CasualSax wrote:
Thesea wrote:May I just say I was surprised by how graphic this was? Not expected.

That was the first thought I had too. Not that XKCD has limits as far as content goes, but in this case it doesn't add to the comic (although it does seem to be adding to the discussion 8) ).

What do you mean? It IS the comic. If they were just sitting there, Power Rangers wouldn't make things NEARLY as awkward.

I think CasualSax meant the "explicitly" oral sex part. It's not exactly Hollywood-censored, with the covers up.

Definately the case - it could be toned down (covers over the head, or her hands not sitting on his head), or just show them lying in bed. Her speech bubble shows enough alone as it is.

Again, I'm not trying to censor XKCD - I'm just mentioning that it distracts from this particular comic.

Agaeki

Postby Agaeki » Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:11 am UTC

Tephlon wrote:Then again, we've been together longer than some people are married, so...

I've had one night stands longer than some people are married...

As for the censoring question, I didn't notice the actual nature of the act until the second read-through. Speaking from a technical viewpoint, I don't think the joke would work as well were it straight sex, or just post-sex cuddling. The former would not be able to give the same pose of surprise, and the latter would not have the same shock.

To throw a new thought into the mix, it could be that the computer is actually the girl's, and the gasp is one of 'oh shit' and the 'mmm' one of 'oh thats hot.'. Chick like that'd be hot.

Good sex song: Eye of the Tiger (maybe as you strip). Very manly :P

Deskchair Intellectual

Postby Deskchair Intellectual » Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:34 am UTC

spartagus wrote:
Maseiken wrote:
spartagus wrote:
mrbaggins wrote:For the hand on head thing...

Every girl I've ever been with has sworn that if a guy so much as touches their head, it's off.

Meanwhile, I've never had hands on my head when I've been busy. Maybe I don't need the help? >.>

About the comic:
It seems she enjoys their new sex themesong.

That's because it's terribly unpleasant to have a hand on your head, knowing that with an accidental(and it rarely is ever truly accidental) amount of pressure you're going to be incredibly uncomfortable, and most likely pissed off.
And a girls hand's on your head rarely has anything to do with help.

Now, I'm no expert (Read, person who has ever been on a date, even)
But that just strikes me as exccedingly rude.
Performing Oral sex is a service, one in which the Serviced must invest some faith in the one doing the action itself.
Putting your hand there is a sign of complete lack of faith, that you are telling them what to do, which reduces the action from a service done out of consideration or affection, into one done under instruction (or indeed, duress)

Of course, this is fine if they feel they need instruction, indeed, before or after the act you could inform them of this need, their response being a matter of your relationship, and thus, not relevant in this opinion.

Basically, just let them go however, however terrible it may be, Of course, stop them if you feel it's necessary, but it's like someone's cooking you dinner or cleaning your house, if you hang around next to them, even if you're quite satisfied with how they're doing, it feels like your evaluating them. Should you attempt to guide them, you might as give them a backhand and tell the to stop f*cking up your dinner.

But that's just my 2 chaste cents.

TL;DR, If you sit back and enjoy, it's good clean fun. If you put your hand there, you're raping their face (Exaggerated for paraphrasing of course... RTFP)

Regarding the comic, I feel like this one is written from the perspective of personal experience, if so, this is tragic... but also hilarious.

Ok, well, look at it this way. If you're into guys-having a guy shove you his dick further into your throat isn't a pleasant experience, no matter how good your gag reflex could be. Most guys, however, find this hilarious and necessary, because they are assholes.
And, if you're into girls, usually a hand on the head isn't for hardcore guidance, thats what words are for(although I guess it could be used for guidance)-it's for something to hold on to.
And, really, you might as well give directions when you're the one being "Serviced", because what's the fun if you don't? Would you rather have one or two crappy nights, a discussion and then the best sex you've ever had, or a relationship full of bad sex because no one was brave enough to speak up? Sloppy oral sex isn't sexy, isn't pleasuring, and is really just uncomfortable.

Harhar.
I have a gay friend, who the hottest thing in the world is when he is giving head, and the guy grabs his head and starts shoving his dick down his throat, essentially causing a form of skullfucking, for lack of a better word.

I think that is an odd perspective on this discussion.
In my cases of servicing teh wimminz, I've had her put her hand on my head and I had no problem with it. At all.
14 year old, spends her life reading links of Wikipedia articles and webcomics.

Philwelch

Postby Philwelch » Mon Mar 31, 2008 5:17 am UTC

As for the hand on head thing:

BASICALLY, the double standard is that (from what I've heard), when a guy grabs onto a girl's head during oral sex, (or even rests his hand there) they get really pissed off. But when a guy gives a girl head, she feels completely entitled to grab him by the hair and keep his head down there, where it is incidentally very difficult to breathe. As far as I can tell the same human instinct, in the case of a woman, is interpreted as "this feels incredible, don't stop", and in the case of a man means "I'm raping your mouth".

If more girls are honestly not as pissed off by this as I have been led to believe, then there you go.
Fascism: If you're not with us you're against us.
Leftism: If you're not part of the solution you're part of the problem.

Perfection is an unattainable goal.

faunablues

Postby faunablues » Mon Mar 31, 2008 6:03 am UTC

Philwelch wrote:As for the hand on head thing:

BASICALLY, the double standard is that (from what I've heard), when a guy grabs onto a girl's head during oral sex, (or even rests his hand there) they get really pissed off. But when a guy gives a girl head, she feels completely entitled to grab him by the hair and keep his head down there, where it is incidentally very difficult to breathe. As far as I can tell the same human instinct, in the case of a woman, is interpreted as "this feels incredible, don't stop", and in the case of a man means "I'm raping your mouth".

If more girls are honestly not as pissed off by this as I have been led to believe, then there you go.

It really depends. There's an affectionate playing with the hair or touching, and there's the grabbing the person's head and keeping it there (for girl receiver) or moving it up and down (guy). To me the former isn't offensive, the latter definitely is.

nightwing2024

Postby nightwing2024 » Mon Mar 31, 2008 5:06 pm UTC

faunablues wrote:

It really depends. There's an affectionate playing with the hair or touching, and there's the grabbing the person's head and keeping it there (for girl receiver) or moving it up and down (guy). To me the former isn't offensive, the latter definitely is.

It's so so much that's it's not offensive, it's just...well...if women keep pressing, we're gonna stop. Not because we're offended, but because we've passed out from lack of oxygen.

tubaphilmedic

Postby tubaphilmedic » Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:49 am UTC

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned "Mein Teil" by Rammstein.

Philwelch

Postby Philwelch » Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:16 pm UTC

faunablues wrote:

As long as it's a personal thing people have differences of opinion on, fair enough. Some people like it rougher than others.
Fascism: If you're not with us you're against us.
Leftism: If you're not part of the solution you're part of the problem.

Perfection is an unattainable goal.

chaosspawn

Postby chaosspawn » Fri Apr 04, 2008 5:25 pm UTC

Alright, random hilarity inspired by this comic:
After you've done the deed, the computer shuffles up "Still Alive".

The opening lyrics:
This was a triumph
I'm making a note here
HUGE SUCCESS.
It's hard to overstate my satisfaction.
This space intentionally left blank.

Fat Tony

Postby Fat Tony » Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:18 pm UTC

This is an amazing comic, but sadly (?), I am not guilty of this.
Wanna hear the truth? Life is downright ok.

Yummy Tree Sap

Postby Yummy Tree Sap » Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:38 pm UTC

I have way too much totally inappropriate or weird music to ever think that using 'shuffle' would be at all a good idea.
Hi, love!

Bio Rules

Postby Bio Rules » Sun Apr 20, 2008 6:01 am UTC

I think the worst song that could come up (i don't have this one) is the Backstreet Boy remix, "Which Backstreet Boy is Gay?". Would totally ruin the mood. Plus it says weird things about the guy's actual sexuality.
If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts.

Lenary

Postby Lenary » Sun Apr 20, 2008 4:48 pm UTC

How abouts "Do You Wanna" by The Kooks, on their new album "Konk"
i could imagine that it would be bad just before, during the build-up, and just make you both laugh if it played afterwards

lets find some lyrics....

I was hopin
That you had an atlas in your head
So fed up of
The same old man
Theres broken bedrooms and there are broken hands
You were so fed up of the same old broken man

Do you wanna
Do you wanna
Do you wanna make love to me
I know you wanna
I know you wanna
I know you wanna make love to me

I came to tell you
That you're my favourite girl
An would you like it if i put you into my world
Theres broken hearts in basements
An broken love on the streets
You were so fed up of it all always involving me

Do you wanna
Do you wanna
I know you wanna
I know you wanna

Do you wanna
Do you wanna
I know you want to babe
I know you want to
I know you want to make love to me
Do you wanna
Do you wanna
I know you wanna babe
I know you wanna

[Repeat till end]

the empahsis was purely my own

(i haven't searched throught the previous posts due to lack of time, but i doubt it's been mentioned because the album only came out on the 14th in the UK)
My Tumblog

[imath]you = me (awesome + clothes)[/imath]
solve for awesome if you're a hot girl
Spoiler:
[imath]awesome = \frac{you}{me} - clothes[/imath]

CrashOn3

Postby CrashOn3 » Wed May 14, 2008 10:27 pm UTC

One of the best song for sexy time "Stellar" - Incubus.
Just my opinion. 8)

CircleTriangles

Postby CircleTriangles » Thu May 15, 2008 6:45 am UTC

I'm getting rid of all my Captain Beefheart.
The Scruffy-Haired Protagonist
Last.fm

buddingscholar

Postby buddingscholar » Fri May 16, 2008 4:08 am UTC

This comic was RIDICULOUSLY hilarious...not to mention shockingly applicable :oops:

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”