0402: "1,000 Miles North"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Bluecold

Re: "1,000 Miles North" Discussion

Postby Bluecold » Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:17 pm UTC

Every movie gets better if the romance is replaced by violence.
Imagine the Titanic blowing up icebergs with torpedoes. And being ambushed by German U-boats. And the English navy coming to blow the Germans out of the water.
Then Titanic would really be worth eleven Oscars.

Fire, explosions and carnage are the three most important ingredients of a movie.

Yuri2356

Postby Yuri2356 » Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:29 pm UTC

Bluecold wrote:Every movie gets better if the romance is replaced by violence.
Imagine the Titanic having Capatin Smith shatter icebergs with his bare hands.
Then Titanic would really be worth eleven Oscars..

Fix'd.

Maugchief

Postby Maugchief » Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:32 pm UTC

PatrickRsGhost wrote:
Tobes00 wrote:
PatrickRsGhost wrote:Dante's Peak had a bit of romance, but they didn't brood on it too much, and there was no major rivalry.

But it should be noted that while it had a volcano, Dante's Peak had no tornadoes.

True, but it had things being destroyed by nature all the same, and scientists. As long as you have things blowing up or crashing down, and scientists, you've got a good movie. Doesn't matter what natural disaster causes it (tornado, earthquake, volcano, wildfire). If it's got destruction and scientists, it's cool.

Counterpoint: The Core = Not cool.

There were so many things wrong with that movie that I began to wonder if the writers had even heard of something called Science.

polymath69

Postby polymath69 » Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:37 pm UTC

How does this make sense? No one can "chase" permafrost -- it's always in the same places. "perma."

SolkaTruesilver

Postby SolkaTruesilver » Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:53 pm UTC

Come on, with global warming, the permafrost line is moving up north! LIVES ARE AT STAKE!

(on the other hand, I had to wiki permafrost too. But I have an excuse: I live in Canada. We don't have a word for "permafrost", we simply call it "the ground")

Pesto

Postby Pesto » Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:00 pm UTC

Tobes00 wrote:
PatrickRsGhost wrote:Dante's Peak had a bit of romance, but they didn't brood on it too much, and there was no major rivalry.

But it should be noted that while it had a volcano, Dante's Peak had no tornadoes.

Too bad they cut the scene with Janeane Garofalo.

DeadCatX2

Postby DeadCatX2 » Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:06 pm UTC

Global Warming FTL.

6453893 wrote:I know just how they feel. I like to play Chicken with glaciers.

That would be kindof funny, except that you can actually do that right now, sortof. A big chunk of the Wilkins Ice Shelf broke off earlier this March. They give the rest of that shelf 15 years.

jc wrote:The fastest way I've found is to go to the forum. That shows the whole text of long alt texts like this one, and doesn't need as many mouse clicks and/or searching through menus as the other ways to see the whole thing.

[rant] Yeah. And if there was a discuss link on each comic, you could get to the discussion for that comic in a single click. And in the process, they would have to automate the creation of discussion topics, which would stop the speed-posting that they so hate.[/rant]

Windsor

Postby Windsor » Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:18 pm UTC

I actually live in tornado alley, and I have a cousin who is a storm chaser. Come to think about it, I should hang out with him a lot more. *sigh* I live near several towns that have been close to destroyed by tornadoes in the past but have only seen one in my life. It was forty miles away and spectacular. I have old memories of hiding in the basement when we'd get a tornado warning.

I once went storm chasing with a friend. Charging down dirt roads during a storm like they did in the movie really is fun. Only we only ever found, you know, storms.
also penny arcade seems to be down, what's with that?

The Finn

Postby The Finn » Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:20 pm UTC

suso wrote:I thought the days of sniffing the dirt were over? :P

BWAHAHAHAH

suso

Postby suso » Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:58 pm UTC

ZeroStyle wrote:
suso wrote:I thought the days of sniffing the dirt were over? :P

"its better than what you stiff!"

YEAH!!! I watched that movie way too many times for my own good.
Imagine theres no signatures....

joeframbach

Postby joeframbach » Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:33 pm UTC

RE: Rillian?
In Twister, the machine was called Dorothy, because Dorothy was caught up in a twister in WoZ.

It looks like it says "Rillian." Rillian was a character from the Chronicles of Narnia, in The Last Battle. I don't have any idea what he had to do with permafrost, though. I think a better name would have been Digory, because he was responsible for Aslan's rebirth and the awakening of the world in Deeper Magic from Before Time (I forget the exact name of the chapter; it was something like that).

moxmallow

Postby moxmallow » Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:44 pm UTC

Imagine the Titanic blowing up icebergs with torpedoes. And being ambushed by German U-boats. And the English navy coming to blow the Germans out of the water.

Fire, explosions and carnage are the three most important ingredients of a movie.

Fire, explosions, carnage, and science!
Kalos wrote:Big O notation, because despite having 26 english letters, 24 greek letters, and the ability to make up symbols, we STILL choose the one letter easiest confused with a zero

The Finn

Postby The Finn » Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:47 pm UTC

joeframbach wrote:RE: Rillian?
In Twister, the machine was called Dorothy, because Dorothy was caught up in a twister in WoZ.

It looks like it says "Rillian." Rillian was a character from the Chronicles of Narnia, in The Last Battle. I don't have any idea what he had to do with permafrost, though. I think a better name would have been Digory, because he was responsible for Aslan's rebirth and the awakening of the world in Deeper Magic from Before Time (I forget the exact name of the chapter; it was something like that).

Rillian faced the Lady of the Green Kirtle, who was also known as the Queen of the Underland.

She planned to attack Narnia from underground.

Good catch!

Ondore

Postby Ondore » Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:55 pm UTC

I'm disappointed Randall didn't go for the "Rule 34" reference and draw some love makin' on top of one of the vans.

Bluecold

Postby Bluecold » Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:01 pm UTC

moxmallow wrote:

Fire, explosions, carnage, and science!

Maybe, but I was going for the whole trinity thing.

Southwest

Postby Southwest » Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:09 pm UTC

moxmallow wrote:Fire, explosions, carnage, and science!

Fire, explosions, carnage, science, and an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope!

DeadCatX2

Postby DeadCatX2 » Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:10 pm UTC

Ondore wrote:I'm disappointed Randall didn't go for the "Rule 34" reference and draw some love makin' on top of one of the vans.

Wouldn't there be a certain irony if he was bitching about the romance in Twister, while there was some romance in the comic?

mootinator

Postby mootinator » Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:44 pm UTC

Yuri2356 wrote:
Imagine the Titanic having Bruce Schneier shatter all of the icebergs in the North Atlantic with a single roundhouse kick.
Then Titanic would really be worth eleven Oscars..

Fix'd.

Fixed.

EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy

Postby EdgarJPublius » Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:01 pm UTC

UmbrageOfSnow wrote:
EdgarJPublius wrote:I might take some time off school next season and try to hook up with some storm chasers. Always wanted to do that

Are storm chasers known for being particularly good kissers or something? I mean more so than other scientists of course.

I don't know the answer to that question, But intend to find out!

Actually though, I meant 'hook up with' as in 'meet some and subsequently hang out with them while they chase storms'
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title

bbctol
Super Deluxe Forum Title of DESTINYâ„¢

Postby bbctol » Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:15 pm UTC

Alt-text is so true. All through the plot part of that movie, I was like "I want to see some storms, dammit!"

Forthur

Postby Forthur » Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:59 pm UTC

Every time I see the movie I can't help but think that the storms were chasing them. The amount of debris (debris!?) that was dropping or flying within a couple of feet from them was statistically ridiculous. As if they were attracting it the same way Jessica Fletcher was always surrounded by "random" murders.

And of course, after the entire movie filled with dangerous stuff flying around, they pass without a scratch right through into the heart of the funnel at the end of the movie. Maybe what we need in movies is science instead of Hollywood science, which is a misnomer if there ever was one.

And please don't mention the Core. That movie still hurts every time I remember it.
Life's biggest adventures are the dreams you try to make real.

as you know bob

Postby as you know bob » Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:13 pm UTC

All you need for a good movie are tornados and scientists.

That's all you NEED, true - but flying cows are a pretty good bonus.

Melkarion

Postby Melkarion » Sat Mar 29, 2008 12:01 am UTC

Maugchief wrote:Counterpoint: The Core = Not cool.

There were so many things wrong with that movie that I began to wonder if the writers had even heard of something called Science.

Additional Counterpoint: Volcano.
"... for a man to understand what he himself says is one thing, and to understand himself in what is said is something else." -Soren K.

An ironic motto of sorts:
The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit. -W. Somerset Maugham.

joplju

Postby joplju » Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:14 am UTC

Now that's a comic I can somewhat identify with...

<== going to A&M in the fall for Meteorology!

EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy

Postby EdgarJPublius » Sat Mar 29, 2008 6:13 am UTC

better buy a big red truck (if you don't get it now, you will soon)
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title

GCM

Postby GCM » Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:15 am UTC

SolkaTruesilver wrote:Come on, with global warming, the permafrost line is moving up north! LIVES ARE AT STAKE!

(on the other hand, I had to wiki permafrost too. But I have an excuse: I live in Canada. We don't have a word for "permafrost", we simply call it "the ground")

Lives are at stake, I agree. But hey, if Canadians get it, the whole world does too. Otherwise, it'd just be less cold. Bad for people, but good for Canada. Unless, I dunno, you like it cold?

Also, I laughed my ass off at the whole "we call it the ground" comment.
All warfare is based on heavily-armed robotic commandos.
~Sun Tzu

Notes: My last avatar was "Vote Robot Nixon", so I'm gonna keep a list here. :D

Crane

Postby Crane » Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:46 am UTC

You know, up until I saw "Permafrost Chasers", it actually sounded really exciting... :-P

SolkaTruesilver

Postby SolkaTruesilver » Sat Mar 29, 2008 2:53 pm UTC

GCM wrote:Lives are at stake, I agree. But hey, if Canadians get it, the whole world does too. Otherwise, it'd just be less cold. Bad for people, but good for Canada. Unless, I dunno, you like it cold?

Hum, well, the whole problem is that is GW continues, there would be some random climate change here and there, and Canada's climate might be stronly influenced by the strong opening of the NorthWestern Passage. I don't know what that will do.

Oh, and the Inuits will die. Please, think of the Inuits..! (that one is not even an exageration)

macronencer

Postby macronencer » Sat Mar 29, 2008 5:09 pm UTC

YES!!!!! Firefox update must have fixed the problem - I can now see alt text without doing right-click/properties and highlighting the text. THANK you, mozilla.

Oh yes, and I liked the cartoon. :)
I think those are crocodile tears: you must be in de Nile.

pinkgothic

Postby pinkgothic » Sat Mar 29, 2008 7:39 pm UTC

Two pages and not a single mention of The Lost World and Sarah Harding?! Fail.

Come on, that was totally a reference to the Stegosaurus scene.

Right?
Stuff: own scribblings; favourite mewsic: luxuria & @440; underrated game

wxoddball

Postby wxoddball » Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:12 pm UTC

I wish I were born sooner so I could have experienced chasing before Twister and all of its knockoffs. Now, whenever the SPC puts out a high risk anywhere, you can guarantee it's going to be a parking lot of (mostly untrained) chasers. It really sucks when you actually have a funded project that you're trying to collect data for.

I actually drove one of these last summer, which was a total bust of a season. And it actually does get annoying the 17th time someone at a gas stop asks you if you're trying to use wind energy to drive your car.

Also, boo for unfunded VORTEX2 project for having to cut 80% of its operations. No free chasing for me this summer :(

TacoInTheSky

Postby TacoInTheSky » Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:30 am UTC

mootinator wrote:
Yuri2356 wrote:
Imagine the Titanic having Chuck Norris shatter all of the icebergs in the North Atlantic with a single roundhouse kick.

Fix'd.

Fixed.

I am so sorry. It had to be done.

fishyfish777

Postby fishyfish777 » Sun Mar 30, 2008 3:11 am UTC

wxoddball wrote:I wish I were born sooner so I could have experienced chasing before Twister and all of its knockoffs. Now, whenever the SPC puts out a high risk anywhere, you can guarantee it's going to be a parking lot of (mostly untrained) chasers. It really sucks when you actually have a funded project that you're trying to collect data for.

I actually drove one of these last summer, which was a total bust of a season. And it actually does get annoying the 17th time someone at a gas stop asks you if you're trying to use wind energy to drive your car.

Also, boo for unfunded VORTEX2 project for having to cut 80% of its operations. No free chasing for me this summer :(

Hahah, wind power. :lol:
Although you could generate some electricity during driving and breezes, technically. Ah well...

I never saw the movie twister... I'm not much of a movie person. Maybe I'll search it on the piratebay or something... :wink:
Neon Rain wrote:And somehow we humans can invent scanning-probe microscopes that can "see" individual atoms, yet still can't invent a machine that can reliably scan tests not taken with a #2 pencil.

Scilly_Guy

Postby Scilly_Guy » Sun Mar 30, 2008 4:08 pm UTC

If you can't see the alt text, right click->properties->make the box bigger, thats what I do.

Jurassic Park anyone, you've got scientists, guns, dinosaurs...

elyons

Postby elyons » Sun Mar 30, 2008 5:38 pm UTC

This is my new favorite xkcd comic yet! I am a grad student studying arctic climatology and do actually chase permafrost. It is the coolest science job there is. You get to fly around in a helicopter because there are no roads and you have to carry a rifle when you are in the field to guard against polar bears.

joeframbach

Postby joeframbach » Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:18 pm UTC

elyons wrote:This is my new favorite xkcd comic yet! I am a grad student studying arctic climatology and do actually chase permafrost. It is the coolest science job there is. You get to fly around in a helicopter because there are no roads and you have to carry a rifle when you are in the field to guard against polar bears.

That is the manliest thing I've heard in a while. Go post in The Man Thread.

Stereo

Postby Stereo » Mon Mar 31, 2008 6:18 am UTC

elyons wrote:This is my new favorite xkcd comic yet! I am a grad student studying arctic climatology and do actually chase permafrost. It is the coolest science job there is. You get to fly around in a helicopter because there are no roads and you have to carry a rifle when you are in the field to guard against polar bears.

Hey, that means I'm not the only one who identified with the frost hunting rather than the tornadoes :mrgreen:

I know a guy, you see, who is obsessed with study of the frozen ground, though he's more interested in the patterns it freezes and unfreezes than finding permafrost (mostly using GPR).
Clarissa Explains It All, 7 pm (8 Central)

nbonzey

Postby nbonzey » Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:51 pm UTC

This comic made me join the forums...

I'm a lover of all things geeky, and I often forward xkcd comics to friends who have a particular brand of geekiness that fits a particular comic. However, this particular strip got sent to a *lot* of folks in my email directory that don't normally get them. I'm a soils geek living in AK, and this strip now hangs proudly in my cubicle (and most likely in about a dozen of my associates offices now too).

You may laugh at the idea of a permafrost chaser, but with global warming and its ilk, the permafrost *is* moving, and quite fast (in its own scale...).

-nbonzey

ilves

Postby ilves » Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:06 pm UTC

I love that one. Ever tried to chase polar lights ? It's a little frustrating, if you don't live far up north, though not impossible.
http://www.meteoros.de/polar/polwarn.htm

-Oliver

phreatic

Postby phreatic » Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:51 am UTC

I had to show this to my supervisor and some of the other grad students who do permafrost work. Pretty much made my week.
Last edited by phreatic on Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:12 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”