0409: "Electric Skateboard (Double Comic)"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

nupanick

Re: "Electric Skateboard (Double Comic)" Discussion

Postby nupanick » Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:45 pm UTC

Oh man, I didn't even notice the mario kart bit. But as soon as the conversation got philisophical and the landscape turned to forest, Calvin and Hobbes was in the forefront of my mind. I was sure it was an off-handed reference, or a tribute or something.

What I didn't expect was for them to crash into Calvin and Hobbes coming the other way. That made me laugh.

Dobblesworth
Dobblesworth, here's the title you requested over three years ago. -Banana

Postby Dobblesworth » Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:06 pm UTC

zenten wrote:That's like saying that being American is some sort of defence against having seen Monty Python.

Which is a fairly valid defence that I would accept if someone replied used it in front of me. I don't think the broadcasting of it is that widespread these days - I've only seen it on BBC America 'over there' [excluding Spamalot]. In the same manner as C&H seems to be, Monty Python is something that's a global phenomenon that a good few people enjoy. However, its time in the mainstream has been-and-gone, and if it's something you've not been exposed to up until that point then it's not something to be ridiculed or questioned for. It's only through DVD box-sets and word-of-mouth that this nostalgia stuff transfers these days. If you haven't come across either then that's life.

Ondore

Postby Ondore » Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:13 pm UTC

I defy someone to come up with an image macro to sum up the win in this comic.

I don't know what hit me closer to home - Calvin and Hobbes or the Mario Kart reference - especially after listening to an entire podcast about Mario Kart earlier.

Syphon

Postby Syphon » Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:27 am UTC

Would the Double Dash ref and the title Double Comic actually having two comics be like... A triple pun?

Noff

Postby Noff » Sat Apr 12, 2008 1:36 am UTC

One of the best xkcd strips ever. Much <3 to Randall.

peter

Postby peter » Sat Apr 12, 2008 2:11 am UTC

Maybe some stick figure/calvin and hobbes meetup in future comics...?

I certainly hope so.

american_jebus

Postby american_jebus » Sat Apr 12, 2008 3:12 am UTC

I've been going through a Calvin and Hobbes binge myself lately. So...i was all like :shock: when I saw the art style and the eventual and inescapable crash.

This comic instantly goes into my xkcd top 5 favorites of all time.

Commander Bob

Postby Commander Bob » Sat Apr 12, 2008 3:43 am UTC

This comic is amazing. Just as I was thinking, "wow, he's blatantly ripping off Calvin and Hobbes," the two collide! I should've known that was coming... Simply brilliant. And the warmup comic was pretty nice, too.

Random832

Postby Random832 » Sat Apr 12, 2008 3:46 am UTC

jbrons wrote:Yes it has its own surreal duality. Suggesting that they exist in the same world, where this stick figure can collide with Calvin and a stuffed Hobbes, is one thing. I'd allow that. But to suggest that xkcd is worthy of existing in Calvin's world, where these characters would see Hobbes as Calvin sees Hobbes, is blasphemy. Only Bill Watterson can do that, and he has not.

The key difference is in whether:
  1. only Calvin can see Hobbes, or
  2. anyone with the mindset can see Hobbes, and we've just never met any in the original comic
That's not ever stated.

And besides, we don't know that the stick-characters are seeing Hobbes as a tiger. The stick-characters aren't necessarily looking at Hobbes, we can't see their eyes. We only know that we, the readers can see him as a tiger, and that's no different from when we're reading C&H.

Syphon wrote:Would the Double Dash ref and the title Double Comic actually having two comics be like... A triple pun?

No, it only would be a double pun.... but - double - !! - then it would be a tr... *head explodes*

Jamaican Castle

Postby Jamaican Castle » Sat Apr 12, 2008 4:07 am UTC

Random832 wrote:The key difference is in whether:
  1. only Calvin can see Hobbes, or
  2. anyone with the mindset can see Hobbes, and we've just never met any in the original comic
That's not ever stated.

I think that these particular people have the right mindset to see Hobbes.

(I wonder if Calvin's ever dreamed of putting playpen balls in his room, or somesuch. Probably so.)

zmonge

Postby zmonge » Sat Apr 12, 2008 4:23 am UTC

This comic is my favorite of XCKD comics. I absolutely love Calvin and Hobbes, I've read the entire collection at least 3 times.

I believe Bill Watterson would be honored to have his comic featured in another comic. Especially one of this magnitude.
He did try to stop those peeing Calvin decals, but universal syndicates stopped him, greedy fools.

The Double Dash reference was nice also, but the Calvin and Hobbes thing really took me aback. I love this comic more than my girlfriend.
Is it legal to marry a webcomic?

GIR

Postby GIR » Sat Apr 12, 2008 6:14 am UTC

These two comics...wow.

Almost missed the Calvin and Hobbes comic, though. Then I gave a little more though to the meaning of "Double comic"...Glad I caught on...

Tide-Arc Ephemera

Postby Tide-Arc Ephemera » Sat Apr 12, 2008 6:32 am UTC

(New to the forum...)

Anyway, I loved the Mario Kart Double Dash reference... that one was one of my favourites in the series (being the only one so far other than the DS version that I've actually completed)... But yeah, this one was freaking awesome... even slipped in some Calvin and Hobbes.

GCM

Postby GCM » Sat Apr 12, 2008 3:05 pm UTC

peter wrote:Maybe some stick figure/calvin and hobbes meetup in future comics...?

I certainly hope so.

That would either ruin this one, or be awesome! It's hard to tell with things like this.

zmonge wrote:I believe Bill Watterson would be honored to have his comic featured in another comic. Especially one of this magnitude.
He did try to stop those peeing Calvin decals, but universal syndicates stopped him, greedy fools.

Not sure. He really hates commercialization and selling out. Then again, this isn't exactly that.
All warfare is based on heavily-armed robotic commandos.
~Sun Tzu

Notes: My last avatar was "Vote Robot Nixon", so I'm gonna keep a list here. :D

scalziand

Postby scalziand » Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:10 pm UTC

RangKorr wrote:I saw the trees and thought, "How Calvin and Hobbes-esque" then, KraKOW!

Two direct hits!

watchayakan

Postby watchayakan » Sun Apr 13, 2008 12:53 am UTC

I've recently started playing Mario Kart 64 again; has to be my favourite version. The SNES version was too rough for me, and, although Double Dash is quite awesome, I just love the N64.

Great comic.

Rilian

Postby Rilian » Sun Apr 13, 2008 2:13 am UTC

What are those green and red things? They look like turtles.
And I'm -2.

watchayakan

Postby watchayakan » Sun Apr 13, 2008 2:20 am UTC

They're turtles shells, a reference to Mario Kart Double Dash.

Rilian

Postby Rilian » Sun Apr 13, 2008 2:28 am UTC

I played mario kart for GBA. Are they on there?
And I'm -2.

zmonge

Postby zmonge » Sun Apr 13, 2008 3:43 am UTC

Not sure. He really hates commercialization and selling out. Then again, this isn't exactly that.

I don't think this qualifies as selling out/commercialization.
Selling out would mean he did it for the money, which I doubt was involved. I see this as a direct compliment to Watterson's genius more than anything.

Dobblesworth
Dobblesworth, here's the title you requested over three years ago. -Banana

Postby Dobblesworth » Sun Apr 13, 2008 3:25 pm UTC

Rilian wrote:I played mario kart for GBA. Are they on there?

The red and green shells are a staple feature of Mario Kart. Green are straight-firing missiles, red ones have homing capability.
The strip is more of a reference to Double Dash, as the karts in that version could carry 2 characters, one driver and one passenger on the back (front in this case) with the weapon-firing capabiltiy, and the two could switch freely. Also the Double Strip is another Double Dash reference.

poprocks and coke

Postby poprocks and coke » Sun Apr 13, 2008 6:41 pm UTC

Am I the only one who realized that the double comic was part of the Calvin and Hobbes reference?
In the books, most of the colored comics have a short strip at the top that is related to the main strip, but not part of it.

Random832

Postby Random832 » Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:11 pm UTC

poprocks and coke wrote:Am I the only one who realized that the double comic was part of the Calvin and Hobbes reference?
In the books, most of the colored comics have a short strip at the top that is related to the main strip, but not part of it.

That was actually one of Watterson’s pet peeves, as he wrote in the 10th anniversary book. He finally managed to break free of that format starting with sundays in “The Days are Just Packed”.

Ezbez

Postby Ezbez » Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:47 pm UTC

Huh? I know what Calvin and Hobbes is, but I really don't get the second part of the comic strip. Where's the punch line? Is this some strange assertion that drawing just stick figures is getting ride of the boring parts of comics (aka: the art)? That's the only way I can manage to interpret it.

hydralover

Postby hydralover » Mon Apr 14, 2008 12:52 am UTC

digitrev wrote:Fuck.

Yeah.

SEAKING.

Linux0s

Postby Linux0s » Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:55 am UTC

Ezbez wrote:Huh? I know what Calvin and Hobbes is, but I really don't get the second part of the comic strip. Where's the punch line? Is this some strange assertion that drawing just stick figures is getting ride of the boring parts of comics (aka: the art)? That's the only way I can manage to interpret it.

Well the gist is the fact that Calvin and Hobbes were almost always philosophizing about something or other while in the middle of their daredevil wagon or sled rides. The two xkcd characters find themselves philosophizing in the middle of their ride too and the next thing you know WHAM... worlds collide.

Of course it isn't that funny if it has to be explained. The humor is in knowing why the two worlds just might collide under those circumstances.
If the male mind truly were a machine it would consist of a shaft and a bushing.

Haverc

Postby Haverc » Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:02 pm UTC

Like a few other people have mentioned, xkcd and C&H are my favourite webcomic and strip respectively. It would be interesting to see whether there's a trend to that effect. I mean, they're pretty different comics thematically, but there is some similarity in the humour and the "isn't the universe incredible?" kind of imagination.

Haverc

Postby Haverc » Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:11 pm UTC

I should add I'm from the UK, and I got into Calvin and Hobbes as a kid in the 90s after my best friend brought one of the books into school one day. All the collections were (and probably still are) readily available in most big bookshops. It wasn't as well-known over here as in the states, but it was there if you wanted it.

Linux0s

Postby Linux0s » Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:00 pm UTC

Calvin and Hobbes online archive:

http://www.marcellosendos.ch/comics/ch/
If the male mind truly were a machine it would consist of a shaft and a bushing.

jjane

Postby jjane » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:08 pm UTC

danb wrote:This is my new favorite xkcd strip.

me too. me too.

Supakitsune

Postby Supakitsune » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:40 pm UTC

First I saw the two stick figures riding the skateboard with the shells.
And the music from Luigi Circuit from MKDD started playing in my head.

Then I saw them crash into Calvin and Hobbes.
And I laughed. Hard.

Oh my god, this is epic. This is my new favorite xkcd comic. Finally got me to register. :P
Also, thanks for that link, Linux0s. :D

Mamoru1616

Postby Mamoru1616 » Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:55 am UTC

I registered just to plea for this comic to be turned into a t-shirt/hoodie. Please, please. I've always wanted a Calvin and Hobbes t-shirt. A Calvin and Hobbes comic fused with xkcd would be perfect for me. (I've wanted an xkcd shirt for a while too)

Blubb3r3ng3l

Postby Blubb3r3ng3l » Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:52 pm UTC

unfortunately (actually fortunately, except in this case) Bill Waterson has pretty much never ever created any merchandise from Calvin and Hobbes. I'm pretty sure Randal's use of Calvin and Hobbes would be against a rather large amount of copyright law, seeings how nothing bearing the resemblance of those 2 character has been made with the exception of comic books... and Calvin urinating on other trucks. Basically, I'd buy a hoody of this (and a bargain it would be at twice the price!), but the odds of Waterson signing off on letting the characters be used has got to be slim.
Let us a little permit Nature to take her own way; she understands Her own affairs better than we ~ Montaigne
embarrass the hell out of me
The only emotion ducks can feel is hate. -__Kit

Nomic

Postby Nomic » Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:24 am UTC

I don't normally use htis expression oftne but I believe this situation warrants it. Ahem,
Oh! I LOVE Calvin and Hobbes :!: :!: :!:

Totally awesome. When I saw the first frame and hte dialogue, it immediately reminded me of Calvin and Hobbes and the ending was the icing on the cake.
Mario Cart: DD reference is nice too, but it brings back nasty memories of trying to get Gold on Mirror Mode (Did it eventually. In you'r face, cheating AI!)

poohat

Postby poohat » Wed Apr 16, 2008 6:32 pm UTC

Dobblesworth wrote:Calvin and Hobbes isn't something we have in the UK. If we do, it's very much been and gone and it certainly never touched on my childhood, or the cartoon strip sections of a sweep of British newspapers in general. I think I might have seen them on a schoolfriend's parent-enforced desktop background, but otherwise no - I Don't Know Calvin & Hobbes. I am not trolling. I am merely saying some readers of xkcd don't reside in typical midwestern American suburbia and don't read cartoon strips of a ~5yr old protagonist philosophising with his plush tiger whilst riding downhill in a very American red suburban child wagon.

I'm in the UK and loved Calvin and Hobbes, as did several people at my school

Shimobe

Postby Shimobe » Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:07 pm UTC

W0000000000000t!

Calvin and Hobbes FTW! I love it!

jbrons

Postby jbrons » Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:42 pm UTC

No. Putting this on a t-shirt is against the rules of everything.

Thus Randall finds himself in a Catch-22. He can put the image on a t-shirt for all to show how xkcd understands the nature of Calvin & Hobbes, but the simple act of merchandising C&H means you do not understand it.

"Licensed products, of course, are incapable of capturing the subtleties of the original strip, and the merchandise can alter the public perception of the strip, especially when the merchandise is aimed at a younger audience than the strip is."

Please do not cheapen Calvin & Hobbes by putting a pencil sketch of the characters onto a sweatshirt.

Random832

Postby Random832 » Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:17 pm UTC

"Licensed products, of course, are incapable of capturing the subtleties of the original strip,

The 90's were a different era for t-shirts - you could never have, say, put an entire strip, dialog and all, on a shirt and had it sell well.

curiousgeorgie

Postby curiousgeorgie » Tue May 06, 2008 2:45 am UTC

I got the Mario Kart reference on the first comic. My second thought was 'Oh me yarm! I wanna do that!.' My third thought was, 'Hmm...there's more?'. And then WHAM! Calvin and Hobbes! This double strip is packed so full of win it probably burst already, leaving people grabbing crazily at the win floating around in the air.

B-Fisch

Re: 0409: "Electric Skateboard (Double Comic)"

Postby B-Fisch » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:17 pm UTC

I'm surprised no one commented on the formula in this comic...

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”