0411: "Techno"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

shadow_spork

Re: "Techno" Discussion

Postby shadow_spork » Wed Apr 16, 2008 6:41 am UTC

I hate to sound like an asshole, but "Techno" is only a sub-genre, not a genre itself. Techno is considered as the early 90's electronic music type, like C&C Music Factory, The Real McCoy etc.

Daft Punk aren't "Techno" either. They're considered "House" music, specifically, French House and Electro House.

If you guys really want to generalize, then "Electronic/Dance" music would be much preferred rather than "Techno."

I hope we learned something here today.

Shadic

Postby Shadic » Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:01 am UTC

I'm amazed at how amazingly frequent Randall is right.

And how strong his truths are.

bradleyjx

Postby bradleyjx » Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:13 am UTC

Though it isn't techno, I got a good laugh as I had this on when I saw this.

pegasos989

Postby pegasos989 » Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:16 am UTC

vodka.cobra wrote:I apologize for the lack of grammar in the statement I am about to make, but it's completely necessary in order to satisfy the /b/tard in me:

in b4 ravers

in during ravers

http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1808780

coldsteelrail

Postby coldsteelrail » Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:42 am UTC

nahtanoj999 wrote:Image
fix'd

That is so totally the right thing to say!

interim_descriptor

Postby interim_descriptor » Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:44 am UTC

deathbybowtie wrote:I'm curious to hear this broken-hard-drive techno, anyone got a link?

http://www.bleep.com/player.php?track=ZIQ032_DM-01

(Click on the waveform/timeline to skip to different parts of the track after it fades out)

Alternatively, if the comic was referring to the granular synthesis type of glitchiness...

MC Hammer:

http://www.bleep.com/player.php?track=ZIQ025_DM-01

Vanilla Ice:

http://www.bleep.com/player.php?track=ZIQ044_DM-01
Last edited by interim_descriptor on Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:47 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

DistinctlyBenign

Postby DistinctlyBenign » Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:47 am UTC

I've never been a Techno fan, but this comic seriously got me thinking: That could almost work.

In any case, someone mentioned Daft Punk. I can't think of Daft Punk without thinking of This Movie. No, thats not a fan edit of a movie, thats the real movie.

meatmanek

Postby meatmanek » Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:48 am UTC

I think he means at least 28 times.

Notch

Postby Notch » Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:56 am UTC

Alt-text: I don't know what's worse -- that there exists broken-hard-drive-sound techno, or that it's not half bad.

Like others have pointed out, that's most certainly not "techno" (argh, I hate labels..), but GOD I LOVE THAT STUFF.
Mostly, you'll find it labeled as "idm", "noise", "glitch" or something silly like "drillcore".

Some stuff I LOVE, that could possibly be described as "broken hard drive": (There's even "worse" stuff out there, though)

Autechre - Gantz Graf
Squarepusher - Steinbolt
Aphex Twin - Ziggomaticx 17
Venetian Snares - pwntendo

Oh, and you HAVE to see this.

[edit:]
"Apparently", I "abuse" "quotation marks". I need to drop that habit. ;)

Dark Ragnarok

Postby Dark Ragnarok » Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:08 am UTC

I'm skipping all posts to just say that Randall has sadly not heard a lot of good stuff. I just stared at the comic in amazement. Yes techno is repetitive, but the good kind out there that so very little people listen to would never make that comment toward electronic music.

If you don't believe me, go into any chatroom on SoulSeek and show them the comic and watch as every genre will blast back anger/. Not that I'm actually offended or anything, but this comic took me very much by surprise.

The only 2 major repetitive things in electronic music is the base (underlying) melody, and the build ups and climax using 8ths, 16ths, and even 32nds.

Anyways, to anyone who doesn't like techno I guarantee it's because 99% of you guys haven't heard good kinds. I guess it's your loss in a way, because there's some electronic music out there thats above and beyond the overall music experience. Not that techno is better than rock, or classical, or any other genre, but there's something techno can do that most other genres can't or rarely go into. And for the most part, the good techno lasts a very long time. Techno is also one of the very few genres I can easily listen to over and over again for *quote me here* 2 years running.

I have yet to see any other person that could pick 2 hours worth of *anything* else, and live with it. I have a single 2 hour mix I could literally live with and actually be happy with it. I wouldn't get nearly as bored as next person who tries this with other music. Again, I'm only stressing there is *really* good techno out there. Just keep sifting through and find it. I promise it's worth it ^^;.

Peace everyone.

Splarka

Postby Splarka » Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:31 am UTC

The track "Insane-o-flex – I like Your Booty (But I'm Not Gay)" (giggity) from the Aqua Teen Hunger Force Colon Movie Film for Theaters Colon the Soundtrack (ow, my colon) loops really good (on my copy anyway) from 23589 to 46619 (ms).

I was pondering making a CD completely full of just this 23 seconds repeated for 80 minutes.

... what?
HTTP/1.1 - 203

litharge

Postby litharge » Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:10 am UTC

Did anyone mention Don Knuth's article yet?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Complexity_of_Songs

MalumOpus

Postby MalumOpus » Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:27 am UTC

I'm very pleasantly surprised by the comments on this thread; I saw today's comic, and thought, "oh no, a whole thread of people going 'techno sucks!'" but in fact most of the people commenting here seem to be defending electronica in general. That's fantastic, as I absolutely adore techno and all other electronic music/dance sub-genres.

While it's true that most techno is repetitive, that's the nature of it - it's rhythm-based rather than melody-based like most other music. The really good stuff can get away with having a repetitive basis as it still develops beautifully as the track progresses.

'; DROP DATABASE;--

Postby '; DROP DATABASE;-- » Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:49 am UTC

Many of you need to hear some real techno.
poxic wrote:You suck. And simultaneously rock. I think you've invented a new state of being.

coldsteelrail

Postby coldsteelrail » Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:18 am UTC

'; DROP DATABASE;-- wrote:Many of you need to hear some real techno.

what IS real techno? or for that matter good or bad techno? How do you differentiate?

JamusPsi

Postby JamusPsi » Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:39 am UTC

I hear "Pachelbel" and ALL I can think is this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdxkVQy7QLM

Warning: this is the ultimate earworm.

SirHoundalot

Postby SirHoundalot » Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:45 am UTC

'; DROP DATABASE;-- wrote:Many of you need to hear some real techno.

:D

I think that techno is such a loose term that it's pretty much lost definition. It's a bit like saying "rock". As with rock music there are a wealth of different sub genres and styles and a huge disparity in quality between subgenres, labels and artists.

What does techno mean to me?

I'd rate the following as techno:

Detroit Techno - Artists such as Jeff Mills, Juan Atkins, Underground Resistance, Robert Hood
    Minimal Techno - Labels such as Richie Hawtin's legendary Minus, Artists such as Dan Bell
    Dub Techno - Artists such as Deepchord, Maurizio, Monolake, Basic Channel, Mikkel Metal
    Abstract/Experimental - I'd personally categorise artists such as Vladislav Delay, Pole, and even drone artists such as Tim Hecker, Loscil etc as "Techno". Their sound, whilst far from dancefloor, epitomises the philosophy behind the scene.

There's so much more amazing stuff out there but I'm at work and so cant list everything I would like to. It's sad that many people here seem to have formulated judgements based on stale compilation cds and the commercial end of a vibrant, forward-looking underground scene.

I think Randall's commenting on these misconceptions rather than poking fun at techno as a genre - maybe I'm wrong though.

If anyone's interested then maybe have a look at my Last.fm profile if you're interested. There's a lot of artists that I've linked to above.

Vanguard

Postby Vanguard » Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:03 pm UTC

Hey, I actually like techno >_>

darkside

Postby darkside » Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:51 pm UTC

shadow_spork wrote:I hate to sound like an asshole, but "Techno" is only a sub-genre, not a genre itself. Techno is considered as the early 90's electronic music type, like C&C Music Factory, The Real McCoy etc.

Daft Punk aren't "Techno" either. They're considered "House" music, specifically, French House and Electro House.

If you guys really want to generalize, then "Electronic/Dance" music would be much preferred rather than "Techno."

I hope we learned something here today.

QFT

Everyone gets mad when everything on the radio is lumped together as "Pop Music"

But it's ok to label stuff you don't listen to?

aquatoad

Postby aquatoad » Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:52 pm UTC

Meh, I went through a general electronica phase a while back, everything from dance to ambient, I found trance pretty good background noise to code to... I've moved on to other genres by and large, but a handful of artists stuck and I'll buy pretty much anything they put out even today: Aphex Twin, Boards of Canada, Massive Attack, Ulrich Schnauss and Biosphere.
Lots of people never use their initiative because no-one told them to.
- Banksy

http://www.last.fm/user/aquatoad/

cyberia

Postby cyberia » Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:55 pm UTC

pegasos989 wrote:
vodka.cobra wrote:I apologize for the lack of grammar in the statement I am about to make, but it's completely necessary in order to satisfy the /b/tard in me:

in b4 ravers

in during ravers

http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1808780

That guy's actually a pretty good dancer. He needs to get his hands out of his sleeves, make his steps a bit cleaner and work some flair into it and then he'll be top-notch.
The patron saint of self-injury. And the glitter sores will heal themselves.

"Somebody said, 'every moment of your life, of everybody's lives, is an unpremeditated work of art'. That's creativity, that's all I know about creativity."

shadowboy

Postby shadowboy » Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:04 pm UTC

Notch wrote:
Alt-text: I don't know what's worse -- that there exists broken-hard-drive-sound techno, or that it's not half bad.

Like others have pointed out, that's most certainly not "techno" (argh, I hate labels..), but GOD I LOVE THAT STUFF.
Mostly, you'll find it labeled as "idm", "noise", "glitch" or something silly like "drillcore".

Some stuff I LOVE, that could possibly be described as "broken hard drive": (There's even "worse" stuff out there, though)

Autechre - Gantz Graf
Squarepusher - Steinbolt
Aphex Twin - Ziggomaticx 17
Venetian Snares - pwntendo

Oh, and you HAVE to see this.

[edit:]
"Apparently", I "abuse" "quotation marks". I need to drop that habit. ;)

I think a technically more correct term for "broken hard drive music" would be "musique concrète" (music with found sounds).

itasteminty

Postby itasteminty » Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:17 pm UTC

I am a fan of techno/electronica, the problem i have is iTunes doesn't have anything. They only carry what the big labels tell them to, and in this genre, unless it was popular 10 years ago or it's a song from one of their cut-down compilation CD's, its not on iTunes. Between that and the DRM, i no longer use iTunes. There are many other outlets on the internet for the all-encompassing electronica genre, for example Beatport, which can have it's own set of problems at times.

Amazingly in the techno/electronica world, there are still plenty of outlets that sell tracks on the old 12" vinyl, and there are still people <looks around room with guilty conscious> who enjoy that format better than CD/MP3/WAV. I await the diatribe from that comment.

What makes me angry at the industry is the "The selected track is not available for purchase in your region." You can preview it, but no, you can't pay us money for it, like your money isn't good enough. That's an industry problem, that i think they need to seriously reconsider. (You can't purchase it, but we'll sue if you 'acquire' it.)

Sorry if that's a little rant-esque.

Now, who is going to make a techno remix of Rick Astley's Never Gonna Give You Up?

Kalos

Postby Kalos » Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:21 pm UTC

1) Doof Doof Doof Doof
2) Build
3) Build
4) Break
5) BO DEEP BOOO DEEP DOOP
6) Build
7) Build
8) Break
Add vaguely human female sounding moans or old cult sci-fi or other "nerd" quotes to taste.
Rinse and repeat

Now go open a nightclub

shadowboy

Postby shadowboy » Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:24 pm UTC

itasteminty wrote:Amazingly in the techno/electronica world, there are still plenty of outlets that sell tracks on the old 12" vinyl, and there are still people <looks around room with guilty conscious> who enjoy that format better than CD/MP3/WAV. I await the diatribe from that comment.

Just Monday I purchased 2 records. One of them was a Pennywise album. Pennywise gave away 320kbps non-DRM mp3s on myspace, complete with album artwork and lyrics. I got the album FIRST via this giveaway then LATER bought it on vinyl.

The other record I bought was the 30th anniversary edition reissue of Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon on 180g virgin vinyl.

I'm not a big fan of electronica, although there are a couple subgenres/artists I enjoy.

My main beef with most dance type music involves song structure. I listen to progressive rock so I prefer music that challenges the listener. Most electronica doesn't challenge the listener, it's pretty easy to figure out.

Note: Some of my best friends are deeply entrenched in the electronica subculture. I've honestly tried to get into it. It just doesn't tickle my fancy.

DragonHawk

Postby DragonHawk » Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:39 pm UTC

I'm no expert on electronica, but no discussion on it is complete without a link to Ishkur's Guide to Electronic Music. (Warning: Giant flash thingy.) That page really opened my eyes to all the varieties of this stuff there are, and helped me find the kinds I like better.
-----
shadowboy wrote:I listen to progressive rock so I prefer music that challenges the listener.

I like prog rock and complicated music, too, but I also enjoy electronica. It depends on my mood and what I'm doing. If I'm coding or writing or otherwise concentrating hard, I find some good instrumental trance playing in the background really keeps me going, without drawing as much CPU time from my brain.
-----
BlueNight wrote:The first Techno I ever heard was axelf.mod...

Ahhhh, tracked module files. An art form into themselves. While some consider them passé in this age of high-speed connections, big hard disks, and MP3s, I still appreciate the amazing feats those artists can archive in such tiny files. And some of it is really good music. Check out The Mod Archive if you haven't already. One of my favorite tracker artists is Electric Keet.
Ben'); DROP TABLE Users;--

GENERATION 42: The first time you see this, copy it into yοur sig on any forum and stick a fork in yοur еyе. Social experiment.

DSDM

Postby DSDM » Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:43 pm UTC

Not a crashing hard drive, but consists of sounds often associated with crashing computers:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsU3B0W3TMs

shadowboy

Postby shadowboy » Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:56 pm UTC

DragonHawk wrote:
shadowboy wrote:I listen to progressive rock so I prefer music that challenges the listener.

I like prog rock and complicated music, too, but I also enjoy electronica. It depends on my mood and what I'm doing. If I'm coding or writing or otherwise concentrating hard, I find some good instrumental trance playing in the background really keeps me going, without drawing as much CPU time from my brain.

As I said, There are some artists/subgenres of electronica that I enjoy. I gravitate mostly towards the industrial subgenre, but I do like some Daft Punk, as well as other artists.

As an example, I really enjoy the minimalist nature of Godflesh. Their songs & structures are very, very simple but like any great art, the whole is greater than the sum of its parts.

captainoblivious

Postby captainoblivious » Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:01 pm UTC

shadowboy wrote:"Apparently", I "abuse" "quotation marks". I need to drop that habit. ;)

You just reminded me of something from Sam & Max.

Sam: How do you make the words appear in quotes like that?
Max: I've been "practicing."

The only real use I have had for techno is in Tetsuya Mizuguchi games. Having said that, Rez and Lumines are delightful, if you've not had a crack at either.
"Shared pain is lessened, shared joy is increased. Thus we refute entropy."
-Spider Robinson

Mutex

Postby Mutex » Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:11 pm UTC

Coming from the UK it confused me when people use "techno" as a blanket term for electronic dance music, over here it refers to a specific genre that's always kickdrum led and pretty mechanical sounding. I guessed the comic was about the latter as it describes it very well!

tryptanymph
More metal than thou

Postby tryptanymph » Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:36 pm UTC

Dark Ragnarok wrote:I have yet to see any other person that could pick 2 hours worth of *anything* else, and live with it. I have a single 2 hour mix I could literally live with and actually be happy with it.

Hmm...

My iPod nano 8GB contains about 90% metal, and derivatives.

Of the non-metal stuff, it's songs for music college.

If I had to pick JUST 2 hours, I think that 60% of it would be Pantera, 20% Black Label Society, 10% SOiL, and 10% misc metal songs.

But I more or less live on Pantera's Vulgar Display of Power.

EDIT: Fixing quote >.>;
Last edited by tryptanymph on Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:24 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
phlip wrote:sleepy, the only thing you're worse at is being not awesome.*
*All links to be treated as NFSW.

DragonHawk

Postby DragonHawk » Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:51 pm UTC

Mutex wrote:Coming from the UK it confused me when people use "techno" as a blanket term for electronic dance music, over here it refers to a specific genre ...

You UK people speak our language funny.

<gdr> ;-)

GENERATION 42: The first time you see this, copy it into yοur sig on any forum and stick a fork in yοur еyе. Social experiment.

thret

Postby thret » Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:15 pm UTC

Thank you litharge for the link to Knuth's paper. Much as I love Knuth I'd never read it before. The man is a genius.

http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/arvindn/ ... lexity.pdf - sigh, pure brilliance. Makes me want to pick up AoP again :)

Ubel Feuer

Postby Ubel Feuer » Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:20 pm UTC

Good techno is not simply a repeated 20 second clip.

http://www.thepolishambassador.com/dipl ... unity.html

DeadCatX2

Postby DeadCatX2 » Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:22 pm UTC

Broken-hard-drive sound? I'm not sure I follow...does he mean when the thread which loads the sound card's buffer terminates abnormally, causing the somewhat blind sound card to continue playing the same small buffer of data over and over again in a loop?

--

Regarding good music, I'm particularly fond of Parks and Wilson, aka Tilt. At one point, they spun a 2 hour long song for some program called the Essential Mix. It was surprisingly dynamic and smooth.

Paul Oakenfold is pretty good, too.

--

litharge wrote:Did anyone mention Don Knuth's article yet?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Complexity_of_Songs

Oh me yarm Oh that was amazing. Knuth is my Pope.

SirHoundalot

Postby SirHoundalot » Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:24 pm UTC

Kalos wrote:1) Doof Doof Doof Doof
2) Build
3) Build
4) Break
5) BO DEEP BOOO DEEP DOOP
6) Build
7) Build
8) Break
Add vaguely human female sounding moans or old cult sci-fi or other "nerd" quotes to taste.
Rinse and repeat

Now go open a nightclub

What did this bring to the thread apart from evidence that you failed to read any of the above posts?

DragonHawk

Postby DragonHawk » Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:27 pm UTC

SirHoundalot wrote:What did this bring to the thread apart from evidence that you failed to read any of the above posts?

A sense of humor?

Steve the Pocket

Postby Steve the Pocket » Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:40 pm UTC

EsotericWombat wrote:I'm rather fond of Dot Matrix techno

That reminds me of the tunable Tesla coil. It doesn't get much more techno-logical than that.

itasteminty wrote:Amazingly in the techno/electronica world, there are still plenty of outlets that sell tracks on the old 12" vinyl, and there are still people <looks around room with guilty conscious> who enjoy that format better than CD/MP3/WAV. I await the diatribe from that comment.

I bet that's for the benefit of the DJs with the LP turntables. Though other bands are doing that nowadays too (Barenaked Ladies, the New Pornographers). If I could afford to buy my music twice, I would so get them.

Also, that Bloodhound Gang reminded me of "Man It's So Loud in Here" by They Might Be Giants. Another fun techno/electronic-music spoof.

bradleyjx wrote:Though it isn't techno, I got a good laugh as I had this on when I saw this.

AAAUGH! I am so grateful Rick Astley got established as the Internet's token prank link before that could. I see enough ripoffs of that as it is in people's avatars.

Goddamn Caramelldansen. Needs. To. Fucking. DIE.
cephalopod9 wrote:Only on Xkcd can you start a topic involving Hitler and people spend the better part of half a dozen pages arguing about the quality of Operating Systems.

Baige.

Kalos

Postby Kalos » Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:50 pm UTC

SirHoundalot wrote:
What did this bring to the thread apart from evidence that you failed to read any of the above posts?

Further proof that people take music too seriously?

coldsteelrail

Postby coldsteelrail » Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:57 pm UTC

Kalos wrote:
SirHoundalot wrote:

Further proof that people take music too seriously?

Just like math and sport, you can NEVER take music too seriously.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”