0411: "Techno"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

DragonHawk

Re: "Techno" Discussion

Postby DragonHawk » Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:03 pm UTC

coldsteelrail wrote:Just like math and sport, you can NEVER take music too seriously.

Anything that serious shouldn't be taken seriously.
Ben'); DROP TABLE Users;--

GENERATION 42: The first time you see this, copy it into yοur sig on any forum and stick a fork in yοur еyе. Social experiment.

tradiuz

Postby tradiuz » Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:04 pm UTC

Aphex Twin - Rubber Johnny
This will give you nightmares.

Aphex Twin - Monkey Drummer
Simple, elegant, and wicked awesome.

Other's I'd like you to go out in the world and find. Portable, Battles, Bola...
All My Mushrooms wrote:I'm practicing abstinence until someone offers me sex.

jdmack

Postby jdmack » Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:38 pm UTC

I haven't made it through all the posts yet, so I don't know if anyone came up with a link to broken hard drive techno. But I want to tell you about something almost as good:

http://www.negativland.com/nmol/seeland ... erophonics

It's a CD of music made entirely from the sound of office machines!

And here you can hear samples:

http://www.amazon.com/Xerophonics/dp/B0 ... 100&sr=8-1

J. D.

bavardage

Postby bavardage » Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:46 pm UTC

interim_descriptor wrote:
deathbybowtie wrote:I'm curious to hear this broken-hard-drive techno, anyone got a link?

http://www.bleep.com/player.php?track=ZIQ032_DM-01

Can anyone give me a track/artist name

...not that I like that or anything...
'It can't be software incompatibility - the Trodden Spiral was designed for concentric rings, idiot ...'

ZLVT

Postby ZLVT » Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:12 pm UTC

nahtanoj999 wrote:Image
fix'd

will you marry me?

I happen to enjoy techno in amny (but not all) its subgenres but I think now would be a good time to remined everyone of Jean Michel Jarre's "Oxygen" and other such music. also Solaris (they're Hungarian but soooo good) I don't know what genre it is but my god I love it.

Metal is god though

Sorry, not a fan :(
22/♂/hetero/atheist/★☭/Image

Originator of the DIY ASL tags

natetheskate

Postby natetheskate » Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:39 pm UTC

Third Arm?

Ok. I didn't see every discussion...but does she have like a 3rd arm or something? Or a leash coming from the computer? I don't understand what one of the lines around her is.

Caltsar

Postby Caltsar » Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:44 pm UTC

just thought I'd add another hard drive crash techno song to the list :)

http://www.efertlis.com/music/Technology.mp3

Poposhka

Postby Poposhka » Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:52 pm UTC

Wow, it's the first unfunny and unintelligent xkcd i've ever read.

I will call this "Black Wednesday" from here on. :cry:

the DRM parody strip almost made up for it though.

interim_descriptor

Postby interim_descriptor » Wed Apr 16, 2008 6:05 pm UTC

bavardage wrote:
interim_descriptor wrote:
deathbybowtie wrote:I'm curious to hear this broken-hard-drive techno, anyone got a link?

http://www.bleep.com/player.php?track=ZIQ032_DM-01

Can anyone give me a track/artist name

...not that I like that or anything...

That's a track called "Chinaski" off Venetian Snares' "Songs About My Cats" album.

Venetian Snares > All

Here's a pair of (very different) vsnares albums to get you started:

http://www.bleep.com/?bleep=ZIQ088

http://www.bleep.com/?bleep=ZIQ111CD

DragonHawk

Postby DragonHawk » Wed Apr 16, 2008 6:09 pm UTC

natetheskate wrote:Ok. I didn't see every discussion...but does she have like a 3rd arm or something? Or a leash coming from the computer? I don't understand what one of the lines around her is.

The way I interpret the drawing: Start from her legs. Follow them up, and her knees take a left turn at the chair. Then her lap is almost flat. Her back/torso curves up to her head. From her neck, one arm swoops down in a gradual curve to the mouse or keyboard or something.

The other arm comes straight down, makes a 90 degree turn to go horizontal, goes forward towards the desk, then makes another 90 degree turn to go vertical, then goes up to her hand, which is in contact with her head. I saw this as the analog of a meatspace person wresting their chin on their hand, with their elbow on the desk. She seems to have two elbows, but then, her arms come out of her neck, so I guess you have to make up for that somehow. Such is the biology of stick-figures.

Hmmmm. "Biology of stick figures" sounds like an interesting discussion topic.
Ben'); DROP TABLE Users;--

GENERATION 42: The first time you see this, copy it into yοur sig on any forum and stick a fork in yοur еyе. Social experiment.

hapbt

Postby hapbt » Wed Apr 16, 2008 6:16 pm UTC

"You're buying techno on iTunes?"

nevermind if you could loop it or not, why are you BUYING it?

The_Toad

Postby The_Toad » Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:30 pm UTC

this song was produced using the synth built into the Gameboy Camera

I dont remember what I was on when I made it....

http://xerxikun.googlepages.com/DJJIHAD ... GLITCH.mp3

no matter what you say I still like it. so screw you

Benzido

Postby Benzido » Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:42 pm UTC

This strip has people all over the internet comparing xkcd with Garfield.

Danae

Postby Danae » Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:03 pm UTC

Am I the only one who noticed Randall called it a 15-second sample instead of the actual 30? Just wondering... :?:

/you may now return to your regularly scheduled programming

niko7865

Postby niko7865 » Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:08 pm UTC

DragonHawk wrote:
natetheskate wrote:Ok. I didn't see every discussion...but does she have like a 3rd arm or something? Or a leash coming from the computer? I don't understand what one of the lines around her is.

The way I interpret the drawing: Start from her legs. Follow them up, and her knees take a left turn at the chair. Then her lap is almost flat. Her back/torso curves up to her head. From her neck, one arm swoops down in a gradual curve to the mouse or keyboard or something.

The other arm comes straight down, makes a 90 degree turn to go horizontal, goes forward towards the desk, then makes another 90 degree turn to go vertical, then goes up to her hand, which is in contact with her head. I saw this as the analog of a meatspace person wresting their chin on their hand, with their elbow on the desk. She seems to have two elbows, but then, her arms come out of her neck, so I guess you have to make up for that somehow. Such is the biology of stick-figures.

Hmmmm. "Biology of stick figures" sounds like an interesting discussion topic.

xkcd411fixed.png
xkcd411fixed.png (31.5 KiB) Viewed 8100 times
xkcd411fixed1.png
xkcd411fixed1.png (4.23 KiB) Viewed 8086 times

Red arm is typing, green arm is used for resting chin upon hand.
21/m/athletic/white&nerdy/washington/straight/???

Drakuun

Postby Drakuun » Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:33 pm UTC

I think Western Digital has some sounds of broken hd on their site somewhere.
Either it was WD or Maxtor.

And if anyone knows this songs name / artist, please lemme know!
http://users.pandora.be/drakuun/ro/song%20thingy.mp3

phatsphere

Postby phatsphere » Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:00 pm UTC

yeahr, good start -- but hold your breath tight: next snares album is about to be released soon. i don't want to tell you too much, but great breaks as always :mrgreen:

about the comic, i'm not really the techno fan, but you have obviously really no idea what you are missing. there is a lot of crap out there, but the idea behind single tracks which are very boring is the ability to mix them as a dj. those are people with up to 4 turntables and headphones on stage at clubs and play all of this at the same time. that's the point where it' s getting creative, because you can archieve very thrilling effects if you constantly alter ryhtm, patterns and sounds of those tracks in a completely seamless way. maybe you are missing something mr. xkcd ? :roll: you should give it a try. and don't make the mistake and attend shitty mainstream club-electro-dance-house-fun-hahaha parties.

therefore techno mixes of 2 hours length or so should be in itunes. the tracks itself are just building blocks and make no real sense...

phatsphere

ivory_tinkler

Postby ivory_tinkler » Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:12 pm UTC

(New to forum! Not so new to xkcd in general ;) )

I can't believe this comic actually made me check out techno music. I'll view it as an education.

tradiuz

Postby tradiuz » Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:14 am UTC

I just noticed this... pause the rubber johnny video at 1:34.

:lol:
All My Mushrooms wrote:I'm practicing abstinence until someone offers me sex.

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:34 am UTC

DeadCatX2 wrote:Broken-hard-drive sound? I'm not sure I follow...does he mean when the thread which loads the sound card's buffer terminates abnormally, causing the somewhat blind sound card to continue playing the same small buffer of data over and over again in a loop?

No... more the sound of something going wrong in the hard-drive (parts becoming misaligned somehow) and the drive head coming into contact with the disc itself. Makes a clunking noise that pretty much guarantees that soon the HDD isn't going to work any more.

Hearing that noise is like watching the Ring... except it's the HDD that'll die in 7 days.

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

tylerwylie

Postby tylerwylie » Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:48 am UTC

DragonHawk wrote:
SirHoundalot wrote:What did this bring to the thread apart from evidence that you failed to read any of the above posts?

A sense of humor?

Something a lot of people don't have apparently with everyone trying to defend techno.
Who are you and who am I
To say we know the reason why?
Some are born; some men die
Beneath one infinite sky.
There'll be war, there'll be peace.
But everything one day will cease.
All the iron turned to rust;
All the proud men turned to dust.

aleflamedyud
wants your cookies

Postby aleflamedyud » Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:27 am UTC

Hey, Juno Reactor's "Navras" rules.
"With kindness comes naïveté. Courage becomes foolhardiness. And dedication has no reward. If you can't accept any of that, you are not fit to be a graduate student."

Agent 86

Postby Agent 86 » Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:52 am UTC

Just thought I'd provide a link to what (I believe) Randall is talking about

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/announcement ... 151666.php

It lists the winners of a techno drive-failure contest.

coldsteelrail

Postby coldsteelrail » Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:08 am UTC

I heard someone here make this point earlier - but do they even sell techno on iTunes? And if anyone can distinguish between "good" techno and "bad" techno is there "good" techno available for sale?

And secondly I heard that the term is a rabid generalization that we must avoid. I also learnt today that Techno falls under the the broader EDM category. What are the names for techno sub-categories?

JymmyZ

Postby JymmyZ » Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:52 am UTC

I lost the teeniest little tiny bit of love for all that Randall touches, 15 seconds?! psh. 64 beats (standard beats to change "theme" or at least repeat the theme) repeated @ ~128(+) bpm gives a good 30 seconds you need to loop! 15 seconds would give 256BPM, and I don't know any real techno that hits that pace, (that's gabbercore/speedcore territory). I'd have expected a better analysis of the structure and timing of techno (and a full understanding of a music genre so easily slighted) from someone with your math background.
A rare miss when normally they're grandslams out of the park

wushu18t

Postby wushu18t » Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:24 am UTC

screw itunes. beatport has tons of free EDM all DRM free!

there are too many genre's of EDM. focus on one sound and bring it to the forefront...BAM....new genre. trance, hard trance, epic trance, tech trance, vocal trance , prog trance, hardstyle, nu-nrg, gabber, hard core, happy hard core, dark core, house, hard house, tech house...and any combo you can come up with. music is music. not one genre of all music is liked by everyone. if you like it, good. who cares what anybody else thinks.

pooger

Postby pooger » Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:58 am UTC

natetheskate wrote:Third Arm?

Ok. I didn't see every discussion...but does she have like a 3rd arm or something? Or a leash coming from the computer? I don't understand what one of the lines around her is.

she totally has two elbows....LOOK! :shock:

edit: for clarity, I did read the thread, and I get the plausible explanation..but it does look like she has 3 elbows lol

Arancaytar

Postby Arancaytar » Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:16 am UTC

phlip wrote:
DeadCatX2 wrote:Broken-hard-drive sound? I'm not sure I follow...does he mean when the thread which loads the sound card's buffer terminates abnormally, causing the somewhat blind sound card to continue playing the same small buffer of data over and over again in a loop?

No... more the sound of something going wrong in the hard-drive (parts becoming misaligned somehow) and the drive head coming into contact with the disc itself. Makes a clunking noise that pretty much guarantees that soon the HDD isn't going to work any more.

Hearing that noise is like watching the Ring... except it's the HDD that'll die in 7 days.

Seven days if you're really, really lucky. :P

If the disk wasn't ruined right away, you may still get a backup of most of the unaffected parts before it dies. But it'll be the last thing you do with that disk - my dad dropped a laptop and backed up the data about 15 minutes before the hard drive gave out.
"You cannot dual-wield the sharks. One is enough." -Our DM.

delusion

Postby delusion » Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:14 pm UTC

I like a lot of minimalist electronic music. This comic reminds me of Oval. Oval make a lot of their music through the deliberate distressing of CDs, and then putting them in a very old CD player that pretty much tried to play any data it got, instead of doing sanity-checking on the data to see if it was actual audio information. Some of these old CD players would happily try to play data CDs with predictably chaotic results.

Nosforit

Postby Nosforit » Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:41 pm UTC

vodka.cobra wrote:Image

Corrected.

(Hear the rrrolling of my "rrr". :P )
Submit.

interim_descriptor

Postby interim_descriptor » Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:58 pm UTC

phatsphere wrote:yeahr, good start -- but hold your breath tight: next snares album is about to be released soon. i don't want to tell you too much, but great breaks as always :mrgreen:

OK, see, that's where you and I differ.

Spill the beans!

What's it called?

Does it sound like a follow-up to a prior album, or does it go somewhere new?

Kougaiji

Postby Kougaiji » Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:55 pm UTC

Speaking as a dj, I feel like there's an addition I must make to the general discussion here. The "long intro" with a slow buildup that sometimes takes minutes is actually there for a reason in almost all non-radio-edit electronic music. It is for us club and mix DJs, and yes - the buildup IS formulaic for many of the songs, it's not intended to be artsy or unique in most cases - some (most) of the best, most frequently played electronic music in clubs has these horrible buildups.

If you're looking for the real melody/song, skip until you get to about 1/3rd of the way through the track, otherwise get the radio edit or something. And soulseek is the one and only essential tool for electronic.

Also, techno != trance != house != electronica != drum n bass != ... etc. But I digress as there truly are far too many sub-genres, but the main ones being techno, house, and trance that people in countries who's musical trends aren't defined by american mtv and vh1 typically do differentiate and do not categorize into simply "techno".

http://www.internetdj.com and go to videos and check out the higher rated stuff (rating over popularity, as there is a lot of crap out there that tries to garner attention, like hip hop, by having a lot of sexy models moving around to bad music). The community over there, however, is very elitist and experienced. Anything too cliche to trendset that the general public still think is good tends to get rated down into oblivion.

dabigkid

Postby dabigkid » Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:09 am UTC

Shai wrote:

Ditto.

It's called glitchcore or simply glitch. Hope that helps you in your Googling.

Notch wrote:
Alt-text: I don't know what's worse -- that there exists broken-hard-drive-sound techno, or that it's not half bad.

Like others have pointed out, that's most certainly not "techno" (argh, I hate labels..), but GOD I LOVE THAT STUFF.
Mostly, you'll find it labeled as "idm", "noise", "glitch" or something silly like "drillcore".

Some stuff I LOVE, that could possibly be described as "broken hard drive": (There's even "worse" stuff out there, though)

Autechre - Gantz Graf
Squarepusher - Steinbolt
Aphex Twin - Ziggomaticx 17
Venetian Snares - pwntendo

Oh, and you HAVE to see this.

[edit:]
"Apparently", I "abuse" "quotation marks". I need to drop that habit. ;)

"Noise" haha.

Most use the generic label "IDM" to describe those four artists.

By the way I second Squarepusher because he's awesome and accessible. Venetian Snares is also amazing-- IMO on par with Squarepusher-- but it's an acquired taste. Lastly, everyone tells me Aphex Twin is amazing and he's not bad but I just can't get into him as much as everyone else can.

Dark Ragnarok wrote:rant about how Randall stereotypes techno

No trust me I listen to a lot of what people would consider "techno" (I'd call it IDM) and IMO the majority of the broad genre sucks. There's a bit of truth in all humor. And the majority of techno is very repetitive.
wut

WendelScardua

Postby WendelScardua » Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:58 am UTC

muffin of doom wrote:I actually have a techno version of Pachelbel's Canon on my computer at home. As I recall, all they did was add a faster rhythm line over the original music.

Now I *have* to look for that... Hey, there's a lot of results for Pachelbel Canon Techno on youtube...

csd

Postby csd » Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:54 am UTC

The answer to the question is no. I love techno, and most of the samples don't represent what the song is like at all. The melodies change frequently in almost every song I've heard.

Venetian Snares, Kyle Ward (Several aliases), TeknoDRED, Kita Keru (Met him once)... all good.

If anyone considers Pendulum techno, then Pendulum > Everything.
Give me a pickle, and make it pink for the festivities!

choginga

Postby choginga » Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:55 am UTC

I am a DJ and I studied DJ history. The term techno was coined by british journalists trying to describe the particular type of house music that was coming from Detroit (from the likes of Derick May). It was originally used as an adjective to describe repetitive and colder sounding house music that was influenced by kraftwerk and the industrial atmosphere of Detroit. The term is also used to descirbe Acid House which is similar but based around repeating baselines made on the roland tb303. So the comic is correct in describing these early forms as repitition was part of the appeal. But even then a lot of early techno was actually quite flowing like 808 state.

Techno as a catchall term for EDM it is quite wrong. Also, a peice of modern dance music is often continuously changing compared to older tracks and even rock/pop music. If you strip the vocals from a piece of pop or rock the underlying music is often far more static than, say, an electro house tune. A rock tune may consist of two 16 bar riffs and the odd drum fill for variation. A lot of the fun with dance music is how the main theme is broken throughout the track. Unexpected flourishes, missing beats, sudden changes and subtle twerking of sound all add excitement to the music.

I can see how people can be confused about dance music, as it really needs to be considered in the context of DJ sets and dance floors to be understood. It is music for DJs to consume, not listeners. The DJs then produce the final product (there are interesting writings about the unique role of the DJ as consumers and producers but I do not have links). If I want to listen to dance at home I will listen to a DJ mix (they are usually an hour long). Otherwise I buy vinyl or mp3s from beatport for use in my sets.

Buying techno tunes from itunes? You can download a DJs promotional mix for free! PM me for some links to favorites if you are interested.

Oh and pendulum are tecnho influenced Drum and Bass, and they are awesome.

Edited for missing word

Chevron

Postby Chevron » Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:08 am UTC

Of course someone has most likely mentioned this, but I don't have the patience to read 3 pages of forum.

Apple gives 30 second previews, not 20.

Namaps

Postby Namaps » Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:10 am UTC

So since we're on to talking about the sub-genres of house (or dance, or something) music, I thought I'd go ahead and ask,

Could anyone tell me what you'd call the music that comes on kind of out of nowhere in the early part of half life 2? Like, right after you get the crowbar.

Generally, I don't like electronic music, but I found that quite enjoyable.
Marbles wrote:The bass trombone is way awesomer than the ordinary trombone.

Turiya wrote:Get out of my head, Randall (except in bed)--that's what SHE said!

Scaraba

Postby Scaraba » Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:42 am UTC

Techno, Techno, Techno, where do I start.

No... forget techno I mean electronica in all of it's broadness.

On the far left, we have artists such as Eluvium(ambient music), who still use guitars and what not, but wih the use of heavy distortion and the aid of computers. On the far right, we have Aphex Twin, Venetian Snares, Squarepusher, µ-ziq, and for all other purposes, The Field.

Now, you have all of your general stuff in the middle, but everyone likes the extremes!

Now, if you really want to see some definitive Aphex Twin, I'll give you a link. BUT, BUT, BUT this is ABSOLUTELY NSFW

NSFWhttp://youtube.com/watch?v=1P3Wc-37pC4 NSFW

This is Mike Paradinas a.k.a µ��http://youtube.com/watch?v=cfPiPfx8W-o&feature=related

And if we want to get into trendy electronica, the current phase (a la justice(Got to actually met Gaspard Auge), Boys Noize, Shinichi Osawa(well, he's been around under the "Mondo Grosso" name for YEARS), Digitalism, Klaxons) is not half bad.

And in Pendulum's case: Yes, it's a good DnB band, but I stick to the original, (Goldie, Roni Size), however, there is this kiwi band called Shapeshifter which really is an interesting piece of work. And for the Brazilian Dnb.. DJ Marky, ftw.

Anyways, I know I have a lot of babbling, especially for a new member.

And yes, if you can imagine, I love techno.

Dark Ragnarok

Postby Dark Ragnarok » Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:45 am UTC

Just a question for you electronic music junkies. Dos anyone else besides me actually like about everything in the whoel scope? Everything from Ambient/Noise through terrorcore/speedcore? I mean not everything is good, but I can actually pick out favorite artists in every genres more or less. I avidly listen to:

Ambient, Noise, House, Progressive House, Acid House, Tech Funk, Minimal, Dubstep, Synth-pop, Trance, Tech Trance, Vocal Trance, Hard Trance, Hardstyle, Jungle, Electronica, Drum & Bass、D�l & Bas�Breakcore, Happy Hardcore, Speedcore, Terrorcore, NRG/Freeform Hardcore, Gabber, Big Beat, Acid, Chipcore and a few other rather obscure forms such as chipcore (which is really a term coined for vocal Speedcore XD).

Does anyone else have that kind of range?
Last edited by Dark Ragnarok on Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:14 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”