0218: "Nintendo Surgeon"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

pwill

0218: "Nintendo Surgeon"

Postby pwill » Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:02 am UTC

lol wut

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:06 am UTC

There's been a lot of raptor jokes in the captions recently...

Which is a good thing of course, you can never have too much raptor awareness.

[edit]
Firefox tried to claim that "raptor" wasn't in the dictionary... showing just how important xkcd's raptor-awareness campaign is...

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

katytron

Postby katytron » Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:12 am UTC

Hooray! 'Those kids' are my generation. I AM ONE OF THOSE KIDS.
"... an overplayed, theoretically sensual villainess who practically twirls her moustache she's so evil ..."

thefiddler
The Fora's Prophetess

Postby thefiddler » Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:20 am UTC

I'm... not quite old enough... but my brothers had them!

It makes me think of this shirt. :D

So, I guess blowing into the cartridges didn't actually help... OR SO THEY SAY.

I choose to believe differently. :)

Lethal Interjection

Postby Lethal Interjection » Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:31 am UTC

thefiddler wrote:I'm... not quite old enough... but my brothers had them!

Thats not nearly as good as one that I saw that had a picture of a Nintendo Cartridge and beneath said "Blow Me".

I am also basically of that age. I suppose if I had booked it through all my schooling, I could probably nearly done medical school.

thefiddler
The Fora's Prophetess

Postby thefiddler » Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:33 am UTC

Lethal Interjection wrote:
thefiddler wrote:I'm... not quite old enough... but my brothers had them!

Thats not nearly as good as one that I saw that had a picture of a Nintendo Cartridge and beneath said "Blow Me".

I am also basically of that age. I suppose if I had booked it through all my schooling, I could probably nearly done medical school.

You mean this one?

no-genius
Seemed like a good idea at the time

Postby no-genius » Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:47 am UTC

Dammit! I am (only slightly) older than the NES. :(

Never played the NES, but me and my brother used to have a SNES (as i recall, the adapter stopped working or summat like that. :x major suckage). and we totally did the blowing into the cartridges thing. :D
I don't sing, I just shout. All. On. One. Note.
Official ironmen you are free, champions officially

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:Why? It does nothing to address dance music's core problem: the fact that it sucks.

TheTankengine
Our Fora-father

Postby TheTankengine » Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:09 am UTC

[mod]God damnit, it really is not that hard to post a link and some commentary.

The next thread like this will be deleted.[/mod]

i probably had about 20-30 nes games and towards the end there only about 5 would work without blowing into them for 2 solid minutes.
be centered
be compassionate
be interesting

Wikey

Postby Wikey » Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:14 am UTC

I'm from the "It works" camp in regards to those shirts.

This comic makes me think that Randall has been playing a bit too much Trauma Center on the wii...

Aoeniac

Postby Aoeniac » Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:37 am UTC

I'm pretty sure that's the funniest alternate text I've ever seen. It's funnier than the actual comic.
Class: 12th level Epiphenomenalist Alignment: Rational

cmacis

Postby cmacis » Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:24 am UTC

I thought that cartridges were better at holding their data than cds, or does that not apply to the NES since it's old? I have a hand-me-down SNES somewhere at home, and I'll probably end up getting the N64 off ebay or something because of the wonder of emulators.
li te'o te'a vei pai pi'i ka'o ve'o su'i pa du li no
Mathematician is a function mapping tea onto theorems. Sadly this function is irreversible.
QED is Latin for small empty box.
Ceci n’est pas une [s]pipe[/s] signature.

Aoeniac

Postby Aoeniac » Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:44 am UTC

I miss cartridges, end of story. I hate having to take so much care of my disks, even if they're mildly scratch and smudge resistant. Mostly because I actually do take care of them, and it gets to be a real hassle compared to how I just used to stack a bunch of cartridges next to the TV. So what if you had to blow on them every once in a while, or heaven forbid use a cleaner kit ever few years? Cartridges were superior in every way barring size if you ask me. And sometimes I like my stuff to take up space, damnit.
Class: 12th level Epiphenomenalist Alignment: Rational

no-genius
Seemed like a good idea at the time

Postby no-genius » Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:51 am UTC

I'm sorta glad I didn't get a DS. Its just not the same without catridges - GBA FTW!

I have Doom. And Street Fighter 2. .... Sonic Advance, Donkey Kong Country, Yoshi's Island on my GBA , loads of classic games. Plus I have Super Mario Land 1 & 2 from my brother's Game Boy - don't still have that cos half the screen fell off.
I don't sing, I just shout. All. On. One. Note.
Official ironmen you are free, champions officially

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:Why? It does nothing to address dance music's core problem: the fact that it sucks.

awkward

Postby awkward » Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:55 am UTC

no-genius wrote:I'm sorta glad I didn't get a DS. Its just not the same without catridges

now, now. you just need to be more creative- blowing on cartridges may be replaced by blowing on CDs, USB ports, the port for your cell-phone charger, you name it.

edit: you should see me when my car won't start.

thomasjmaccoll

Postby thomasjmaccoll » Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:19 pm UTC

Wikey wrote:I'm from the "It works" camp in regards to those shirts.

This comic makes me think that Randall has been playing a bit too much Trauma Center on the wii...

Yeah, it totally works. Well, I'm not sure about NES, as I've rarely played one of those, but for SNES anyway, blowing sure seemed to help a lot.
slow down, you move too fast

Iluvatar

Postby Iluvatar » Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:28 pm UTC

Man, now I'm getting all nostalgic. I have this t-shirt:

Heck, I'm not ever going to buy a Wii; I plan on waiting 6-8 years until I can get it on an emulator. I still play NES and SNES on my laptop during MicroEcon class. I am starting to branch out into N64 emulation, but only a little. You can't beat NES Super Mario Land 3 (with the possible exception of Super Mario World).
"Don't you see?!"

"Get out of my bed, Randall, I'm trying to sleep!"

Your results may vary.

Iluvatar

Postby Iluvatar » Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:34 pm UTC

. Blowing on the cartridge connectors was, in most cases, no better than removing and reinserting the cartridge, and tended to increase the rate of oxidation resulting in browning of the printed circuit board
-wiki

Thank god I have to leave now, or I would have clicked on the 10NES Lockset link in the article, and disappeared into Wikiworld for a few hours.[/quote]
"Don't you see?!"

"Get out of my bed, Randall, I'm trying to sleep!"

Your results may vary.

Rat
Rattus Trolleri

Postby Rat » Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:47 pm UTC

Iluvatar wrote:
. Blowing on the cartridge connectors was, in most cases, no better than removing and reinserting the cartridge, and tended to increase the rate of oxidation resulting in browning of the printed circuit board
-wiki

Thank god I have to leave now, or I would have clicked on the 10NES Lockset link in the article, and disappeared into Wikiworld for a few hours.
[/quote]

yeah... my family had an NES before i even knew wtf a game was... so at SOME point i remember my mom telling me not to blow on the cartridges because they had to take it somewhere and get it fixed and the place told them the reason it was broken was because of blowing on cartridges...

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:54 pm UTC

Actually, 'nintendo surgeons' may not be a bad thing, especially for the remote-controlled surgeries that happen. Someone used to a TV screen and controller will do better than someone used to an open abdomen.

LE4dGOLEM
is unique......wait, no!!!!

Postby LE4dGOLEM » Fri Feb 02, 2007 2:43 pm UTC

I was very young (read, age ~5) at the time when having a SNES meant being on the cutting edge (okay. I lie. '97), and blowing DOES WORK. Always.

I still have my SNES. It won't turn on though =(
Image Une See Fights - crayon super-ish hero webcomic!
doogly wrote:It would just be much better if it were not shitty.

shimavak

Postby shimavak » Fri Feb 02, 2007 2:54 pm UTC

I really wonder if I am one of the few who saw the #137 and thought: Alpha!?

Please tell me 137 is still hip in the physics world! There are a few folks in the department here that know and love it, but not as many as you'd think. So sad for an Eisenstein Prime to fall so far from grace.

Democritus the Minor

Postby Democritus the Minor » Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:05 pm UTC

shimavak wrote:I really wonder if I am one of the few who saw the #137 and thought: Alpha!?

Please tell me 137 is still hip in the physics world! There are a few folks in the department here that know and love it, but not as many as you'd think. So sad for an Eisenstein Prime to fall so far from grace.

DAMN it.

i thought i'd be the first to point that out.... good show.

frezik

Postby frezik » Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:17 pm UTC

I surprised people say they had to blow on SNES games a lot. The cartridge door and a lack of the 10NES chip should have prevented huge problems there, unless you left your cartridges laying around a lot without the dust covers.

Blowing on cartridges will build up moisture from your breath, which will corrode the contacts in the long run. Put your shirt or other cloth over your mouth before blowing.

Anytime you start up an NES and it starts flicking the screen on and off along with the power LED blinking, you have a problem with the 10NES lockout chip. Disabling this chip will make your NES a lot more reliable. How to:

http://home.freeuk.net/markk/Consoles/NES_Lockout.txt

The chip was removed on the "new style" NESes they put out around the same time as the SNES. IIRC, the Game Genie also disables it.

Nonthought

Postby Nonthought » Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:28 pm UTC

Ha, you old people and your strange toys.

SoNick

Postby SoNick » Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:20 pm UTC

no-genius wrote:I'm sorta glad I didn't get a DS. Its just not the same without catridges - GBA FTW!

The DS uses cartridges. They are about the same size as a Secure Digital memory card (think digital camera storage media). The small size leads me to fear that I will lose a game or two, but it has yet to happen after ~1.5 years of owning a DS with 13 games (I can't say as much about forgetting that I have certain games and thus forgetting to play them, but that's something else entirely).

That being said, my first game console was an NES and I also remember blowing in cartridges all of the time. I was quite relieved when I got my SNES and had to blow in cartridges much less often.
Sonic Retro Information Wiki: More taglines than you can shake a stick at!

Tractor

Postby Tractor » Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:35 pm UTC

You know, the Atari I have doesn't have that problem. Asteroids and Warlords == awesome!
All the quality of an old gaming system, with no excess blowing. Because while it may be fun to play the original mario, its less so when you're passed out from blowing in the cartridge for half an hour.
9 x 6 = 42

Note: Randall kicks ass.

Gordon
Dr. Banana
Dr. Banana

Postby Gordon » Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:41 pm UTC

Anyone who thinks blowing on the cartridges doesn't help clearly never played the damn games. I had colecovision, nintendo and eventually a sega and all 3 benefitting from some form of 'blowing'.
Meaux_Pas wrote:
RealGrouchy wrote:I still remember the time when Gordon left. I still wake up in the middle of the night crying and screaming his name.
I do that too, but for an entirely different reason.
RealGrouchy wrote:
Gordon wrote:How long have I been asleep?!
Our daughter is in high school now.

parsonsb
301st Spartan (Overslept)

Postby parsonsb » Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:20 pm UTC

the really scary thing will be when the generation that grew up with the wii and trauma center grow up and try to complete surgeries in 5 minutes

Fieari

Postby Fieari » Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:52 pm UTC

Things we did to get those cartridges to work:

#1) Blow them. I have no idea how this tradition started, but it was pretty damn universal.

#2) Pump the cartridge up and down, up and down, up and down within the NES.

#3) Reset repeatedly.

#4) Slam the top of the nintendo (with the cartridge in it) hard enough that it causes the cartridge to spring up. The local tradition was that while doing this, you had to shout "WAKE up San Fransisco". Don't ask me where that came from, but we all did it.

#5) Do steps 2-4 except this time with the power still on.

Eventually, the thing would work. But getting it to work required QUITE a bit of effort. The real horror would be when the game would glitch in the middle of playing, replacing random sprites with random ASCII symbols, eventually freezing the game.

The weird thing was that there was a direct correlation between not-having-blown the cartridge and these things from popping us, leading us kids to believe that we were witnessing the literal electronic incarnation of dust, kinda like scratches on an LP.
Surely it is as ridiculous to consider sqrt(-1) "imaginary" because you can't use it to count pieces of chalk as to consider the number 200 imaginary because by itself it cannot express the location of one point with reference to another. -Isaac Asimov

Lethal Interjection

Postby Lethal Interjection » Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:09 pm UTC

thefiddler wrote:You mean this one?

Indeed.

yy2bggggs

Postby yy2bggggs » Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:18 pm UTC

parsonsb wrote:the really scary thing will be when the generation that grew up with the wii and trauma center grow up and try to complete surgeries in 5 minutes

Somehow this web page is relevant:
http://www.edheads.org/activities/knee/

wisnij

Postby wisnij » Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:29 pm UTC

Democritus the Minor wrote:
shimavak wrote:I really wonder if I am one of the few who saw the #137 and thought: Alpha!?

DAMN it.

i thought i'd be the first to point that out.... good show.

Double damn it, that was the first thing I thought of too. Even though it's actually 1/alpha... :)

I use 137 all the time as a "random" number when I need some particular but not specific integer. 42 is also good.

(Edit: also, this shirt.)
I burn the cheese. It does not burn me.

xooll

Postby xooll » Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:54 pm UTC

am I the only one who saw the alt text wondering about whether a raptor moves faster or slower than a person when on a waterslide?
So, I got tired of the fact that the appearance of my band name in my signature made my posts on this forum the dominant result when googling for my music. Anyway, if you think I might happen to be a good musician, you can test this theory here.

fiendishglee

Postby fiendishglee » Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:57 pm UTC

awkward wrote:edit: you should see me when my car won't start.

I imagine blowing the mechanic does work wonders.

mnemophobe

Postby mnemophobe » Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:03 pm UTC

Who else still has R.O.B. the Robot sitting in the attic?

The Sleeping Tyrant

Postby The Sleeping Tyrant » Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:07 pm UTC

The only thing I got out of this comic, neglecting the alt-text, was the feeling that the Sega Genesis was truly the superior console of the era.

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:09 pm UTC

Nope.

Check back after Katsucon when Girl and I will have the spare cash to supply the apartment with a Wii, though.

Girl watches Discovery Health incessantly, and I just like cutting people. So Trauma Center is high on our list.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

Mathmagic
It's not as cool as that Criss Angel stuff.

Postby Mathmagic » Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:49 pm UTC

xooll wrote:am I the only one who saw the alt text wondering about whether a raptor moves faster or slower than a person when on a waterslide?

Did you not pay attention in physics class? Obviously, mass would not matter in the acceleration (9.81 m/s^2), but then you need to take into account friction.

Anybody who's been on a waterslide knows that the way to get down the slide fastest is to go down while supporting yourself on your heels and elbows (less surface area in contact with the slide), and I'm sure the raptor would not be that intelligent. But then again, raptors have pretty slick bodies, and are quite aerodynamic, so the only way to figure this out is to try.

AAAANND GO! The raptor will be right behind you! :D
Axman: That, and have you played DX 10 games? It's like having your corneas swabbed with clits made out of morphine.
Pathway: cocks cocks cocks

Purple

Postby Purple » Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:01 pm UTC

I neve blew; I always used a defibrilator on my NES cartridges.

Mathmagic
It's not as cool as that Criss Angel stuff.

Postby Mathmagic » Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:03 pm UTC

Purple wrote:I neve blew

That's what SHE said.
Axman: That, and have you played DX 10 games? It's like having your corneas swabbed with clits made out of morphine.
Pathway: cocks cocks cocks

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”