0218: "Nintendo Surgeon"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Purple

Postby Purple » Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:42 pm UTC

Indeed she did say that. Then I defibrillated her. What can I say? Your mom is into freaky shit.

Air Gear

Postby Air Gear » Sat Feb 03, 2007 12:07 am UTC

Cartridges just had a better feel to them than discs...the DS's memory cards work, though.

Time to look in the drawer with the old NES games!

KLAX! That was a bitch to get working after awhile...took a lot of blowing into that one...

...oh man, it's so tempting to plug in said NES which is also in the drawer...there's so much stuff to play in there. Not just Klax...The Guardian Legend ( <3 ), Burgertime, Snake Rattle 'n Roll, Kickle Cubicle, so many others...ahhh...

a shame that so many other games got sold :(

...though what I really want to play right about now is Star Fox...Course 3 since that was the only way to play...preferrably while wearing the now-lost Star Fox shirt... :( this comic is so depressing now.

Lenale

Postby Lenale » Sat Feb 03, 2007 1:43 am UTC

I still remember when we got our NES. Super Mario Bros. 1 was far too scary for me (I would play level 1.1, but hand over the controller at 1.2 because of the darkness and the scary music). I played a lot of Duck Hunt though, it was on a double cartridge.

I still have the NES, the games, and the Zapper, all working, in the living room of my dorm. We played on it last Monday, actually.

(I think there have never been better controllers than the NES ones. Mainly because I can hold them. My ex had to get a special controller for his Xbox because my hands are too small for the normal ones :( )
Physics is like sex. It might give some practical results, but that's not why we do it.
--Richard Feynmann

tylerni7

Postby tylerni7 » Sat Feb 03, 2007 2:48 am UTC

Am I the only one who thought of 1337 when I saw the number? That's at least a real integer, unlike you people and your crazy constants (although alpha is quite a fine constant) I guess I just thought of leet because I'm young and immature...

Damn

And maybe blowing the cartridges degraded them over time, but c'mon, you can't deny that over half the time blowing it helped...

thomasjmaccoll

Postby thomasjmaccoll » Sat Feb 03, 2007 3:06 am UTC

Lenale wrote:I still remember when we got our NES. Super Mario Bros. 1 was far too scary for me (I would play level 1.1, but hand over the controller at 1.2 because of the darkness and the scary music).

Hah, that's an excellent story... I remember being a little jumpy at those levels too, but I got over it pretty quickly... would you still get scared if I sang... "DENE DENE DENE! DENE DENE DENE! DENENE DUN DUN DUN DUN DUN DUN DUDUDUDUDUDUDUN!"?

I guess it kind of loses its effect a bit written down...

Does anyone else harbour a deep seated loathing for mario water levels?
slow down, you move too fast

Wikey

Postby Wikey » Sat Feb 03, 2007 3:10 am UTC

thomasjmaccoll wrote:
Lenale wrote:I still remember when we got our NES. Super Mario Bros. 1 was far too scary for me (I would play level 1.1, but hand over the controller at 1.2 because of the darkness and the scary music).

Hah, that's an excellent story... I remember being a little jumpy at those levels too, but I got over it pretty quickly... would you still get scared if I sang... "DENE DENE DENE! DENE DENE DENE! DENENE DUN DUN DUN DUN DUN DUN DUDUDUDUDUDUDUN!"?

Yes. Effing jellyfish.

ohki

Postby ohki » Sat Feb 03, 2007 3:46 am UTC

thomasjmaccoll wrote:Hah, that's an excellent story... I remember being a little jumpy at those levels too, but I got over it pretty quickly... would you still get scared if I sang... "DENE DENE DENE! DENE DENE DENE! DENENE DUN DUN DUN DUN DUN DUN DUDUDUDUDUDUDUN!"?

No, but the countdown sound from running out of air in sonic the hedgehog still makes me panic and look around feverishly for bubbles.
But it raining and me peeing on your foot are NOT mutually exclusive.
"Isn't arrogance measured in nano-Dijkstra's?"- Alan Kay

Mathmagic
It's not as cool as that Criss Angel stuff.

Postby Mathmagic » Sat Feb 03, 2007 4:31 am UTC

In speaking of Super Mario Bros. 1, did anybody else always just use the secret to go to World 6 and attempt to finish the game really quickly?
Axman: That, and have you played DX 10 games? It's like having your corneas swabbed with clits made out of morphine.
Pathway: cocks cocks cocks

Lethal Interjection

Postby Lethal Interjection » Sat Feb 03, 2007 5:06 am UTC

mathmagic wrote:In speaking of Super Mario Bros. 1, did anybody else always just use the secret to go to World 6 and attempt to finish the game really quickly?

I just never found SMB1 as interesting as 3, so yes, I would play to beat it, not to just go through it. (I could never get the hang of the second one, I'm not sure why.)
But the third one had so much awesome in it. Except the water levels, granted. I also loathed them. That and that stupid sun that would droop down to kill you... stupid sun...

thefiddler
The Fora's Prophetess

Postby thefiddler » Sat Feb 03, 2007 5:13 am UTC

Lenale wrote:(I think there have never been better controllers than the NES ones. Mainly because I can hold them. My ex had to get a special controller for his Xbox because my hands are too small for the normal ones :( )

I adore the NES controller. :D I want the belt buckle made from it... :)
My hands are really small, too, so I hate playing on all of that.

I'm so tempted to post the link to the buckle. :( (But I won't, because I feel extremely nerdy already.)
If it makes you laugh, there's also an Atari controller belt buckle. Picture that. :D

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Sat Feb 03, 2007 6:27 am UTC

Are you kidding? They were my favorite.

Even more so in the first gameboy game, because you got a submarine.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

Aoeniac

Postby Aoeniac » Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:37 am UTC

fiendishglee wrote:
awkward wrote:edit: you should see me when my car won't start.

I imagine blowing the mechanic does work wonders.

I laughed, I cried, I threw up, I laughed some more.
Class: 12th level Epiphenomenalist Alignment: Rational

Lenale

Postby Lenale » Sat Feb 03, 2007 9:12 am UTC

thomasjmaccoll wrote:Hah, that's an excellent story... I remember being a little jumpy at those levels too, but I got over it pretty quickly... would you still get scared if I sang... "DENE DENE DENE! DENE DENE DENE! DENENE DUN DUN DUN DUN DUN DUN DUDUDUDUDUDUDUN!"?

YES. Oh yes.

I hated the water levels too - and I loved SMB3! I was a little girl, so cuddliness counted (although I kind of liked Double Dragon a lot, too. :) And Batman!)
Physics is like sex. It might give some practical results, but that's not why we do it.

--Richard Feynmann

LE4dGOLEM
is unique......wait, no!!!!

Postby LE4dGOLEM » Sat Feb 03, 2007 11:08 am UTC

thefiddler wrote:
Lenale wrote:(I think there have never been better controllers than the NES ones. Mainly because I can hold them. My ex had to get a special controller for his Xbox because my hands are too small for the normal ones :( )

I adore the NES controller. :D I want the belt buckle made from it... :)
My hands are really small, too, so I hate playing on all of that.

I'm so tempted to post the link to the buckle. :( (But I won't, because I feel extremely nerdy already.)
If it makes you laugh, there's also an Atari controller belt buckle. Picture that. :D

http://www.nesbuckle.com/
Image Une See Fights - crayon super-ish hero webcomic!
doogly wrote:It would just be much better if it were not shitty.

recurve boy

Postby recurve boy » Sat Feb 03, 2007 12:21 pm UTC

Actually the best method was to insert the cart such that the back edge would hit the inside edge of the NES. Does that make sense to anybody? It does to me.

I think it is on wiki, but IIRC, the problem with the NES was that the contacts weren't designed quite right and they would eventually wear down a little and the contact was bad. Something like that.

Carts rule!

Verysillyman
"Do me! Do me!"

Postby Verysillyman » Sat Feb 03, 2007 1:23 pm UTC

I am not waqnting to thinking of raptors chasing me right now. please. Randall, you frightened a poor old drunk man.

German Sausage
3 of 5

Postby German Sausage » Sat Feb 03, 2007 1:53 pm UTC

what's that? raptor noises? behind you? LOOK OUT!
<bakemaster> Only German Sausage can prevent forest fires
<felstaff> Hype is like a giant disappointment ray aimed squarely at the finished article.
<watson> Treat me like a criminal, Holmes!
TMT4L

fjafjan
THE fjafjan

Postby fjafjan » Sat Feb 03, 2007 2:34 pm UTC

mathmagic wrote:Anybody who's been on a waterslide knows that the way to get down the slide fastest is to go down while supporting yourself on your heels and elbows (less surface area in contact with the slide

You LIE!
The fastest way, assuming there is a decent amount of water in the waterslide, is to lie down, giving you a great lifting force from the water, aswell as the fact that, atleast on my body, but booty and back have much smoother and "friction friendly" (read, low friction constants) than my elbow and heels, both being notoriously frictiony.
If you also look at the equation for friction
"F = N*"friction constant" (I cannot make roh 8-)) there is nothing about surface area
SMOOCHED!
//Yepp, THE fjafjan (who's THE fjafjan?)
Liza wrote:Fjafjan, your hair is so lovely that I want to go to Sweden, collect the bit you cut off in your latest haircut and keep it in my room, and smell it. And eventually use it to complete my shrine dedicated to you.

no-genius
Seemed like a good idea at the time

Postby no-genius » Sat Feb 03, 2007 4:29 pm UTC

awkward wrote:
no-genius wrote:I'm sorta glad I didn't get a DS. Its just not the same without catridges

now, now. you just need to be more creative- blowing on cartridges may be replaced by blowing on CDs, USB ports, the port for your cell-phone charger, you name it.

edit: you should see me when my car won't start.

No no no - with CDs you just wipe them on your jeans :P
I don't sing, I just shout. All. On. One. Note.
Official ironmen you are free, champions officially

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:Why? It does nothing to address dance music's core problem: the fact that it sucks.

thomasjmaccoll

Postby thomasjmaccoll » Sat Feb 03, 2007 4:47 pm UTC

ohki wrote:No, but the countdown sound from running out of air in sonic the hedgehog still makes me panic and look around feverishly for bubbles.

Yeah, that'll do it too... my brother got a CD-ROM last week of loads of sonic games 'cause it was really cheap, so we've been getting back into that mode, it is extremely ominous music.

mathmagic wrote:I
In speaking of Super Mario Bros. 1, did anybody else always just use the secret to go to World 6 and attempt to finish the game really quickly?

Sometimes, if that's what I was going for... but I enjoyed playing the whole thing, and I never felt like winning the game really counted if I'd used the cheats...

Lethal Interjection wrote:I just never found SMB1 as interesting as 3, so yes, I would play to beat it, not to just go through it. (I could never get the hang of the second one, I'm not sure why.)
But the third one had so much awesome in it. Except the water levels, granted. I also loathed them. That and that stupid sun that would droop down to kill you... stupid sun...

Yeah, I would have to say 3 was probably better than 1, but i will always have a certain fondness for 1... and is it universally acknowledged that 2 was far inferior? I always felt that way anyway.

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Sat Feb 03, 2007 4:51 pm UTC

and is it universally acknowledged that 2 was far inferior? I always felt that way anyway.

2 was an entirely different game. If I've succeeded my "Knowledge: Nintendo Lore" check, SMB 2 was actually developed in a completely different franchise in japan, and they substituted in the mario characters to make it a "mario" game, either at the last minute before release in japan, or when it made the translation to america. I am unclear as to the reasons, except perhaps that they thought it would sell better.

It does explain why the game, even in its most basic mechanics and general feel, is *completely* different from every other mario game.

That said, I still liked it.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

no-genius
Seemed like a good idea at the time

Postby no-genius » Sat Feb 03, 2007 4:57 pm UTC

thomasjmaccoll wrote: is it universally acknowledged that 2 was far inferior? I always felt that way anyway.

Thats cos its not a mario game - they just took another game and put the mario characters in it. Cos they thought the Japanese Mario 2 would be too hard.
I don't sing, I just shout. All. On. One. Note.
Official ironmen you are free, champions officially

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:Why? It does nothing to address dance music's core problem: the fact that it sucks.

narfanator

Postby narfanator » Sat Feb 03, 2007 5:21 pm UTC

Surface area when considering friction appears in either or both of the normal force and friction coeffecient terms, as it has to do with the pressure (force per unit area) between the surfaces.

If you make sure that between you and the slide there is always water, the water will act the same way as it does when roller skating (as a lubricant) - the difference with ice skating is the the low surface area and correspondingly high pressure actually melt the ice. When you slide, high pressure just "peirces" the layer of water to hit the slide.

Well, that's what I'd expect. Send it Myth Busters.

Judas Maccabeus

Postby Judas Maccabeus » Sat Feb 03, 2007 5:29 pm UTC

There's still an NES floating around somewhere in my house. My main memories aren't of Mario, however, but of Duck Hunt.

And especially that bloody annoying dog.
Ita res accendent lumina rebus ("Thus truth enlightens truths")
- Lucretius, De rerum natura

nuggetmonkey

Postby nuggetmonkey » Sat Feb 03, 2007 6:02 pm UTC

Super Mario Brothers 2 was originally Dream Factory: Doki Doki Panic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoNu2AFpsZ4

Gordon
Dr. Banana
Dr. Banana

Postby Gordon » Sat Feb 03, 2007 9:19 pm UTC

But the froggy suits were so cute
Meaux_Pas wrote:
RealGrouchy wrote:I still remember the time when Gordon left. I still wake up in the middle of the night crying and screaming his name.
I do that too, but for an entirely different reason.
RealGrouchy wrote:
Gordon wrote:How long have I been asleep?!
Our daughter is in high school now.

Irrational (?)

Postby 3.14159265... » Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:27 pm UTC

k
So teach a computer illiterate guy that likes math, what this alt text is...
Does he post secret texts? have I been missing on extra jokes :shock:
"The best times in life are the ones when you can genuinely add a "Bwa" to your "ha""- Chris Hastings

thefiddler
The Fora's Prophetess

Postby thefiddler » Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:29 pm UTC

The alt-text can be seen if you hover your mouse over the comic, although on Firefox, it will cut off some of the longer ones. :( I then right click, go to properties and read the title (at the bottom). :D

Does that help?

(And, yes. You've missed out on random, funny lines. But never fear! You can go back and read them all, now. :D)

bronzeevil

Postby bronzeevil » Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:39 pm UTC

This comic took me a minute to get... the last time I had played a NES was when I was... um. Yeah. But yes, I had to blow in the cartridges. I can't believe how anyone could say it doesn't work.

thefiddler
The Fora's Prophetess

Postby thefiddler » Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:50 pm UTC

bronzeevil wrote:This comic took me a minute to get... the last time I had played a NES was when I was... um. Yeah. But yes, I had to blow in the cartridges. I can't believe how anyone could say it doesn't work.

Ignorant? Stupid? Never played? A combination of all three?

I have NO idea. :(

Aoeniac

Postby Aoeniac » Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:56 pm UTC

Judas Maccabeus wrote:There's still an NES floating around somewhere in my house. My main memories aren't of Mario, however, but of Duck Hunt.

And especially that bloody annoying dog.

http://www.i-mockery.com/minimocks/duckhunt/

If you get a perfect score you annihilate the entire duck hunting dog species.
Class: 12th level Epiphenomenalist Alignment: Rational

cephalopod9

Postby cephalopod9 » Sat Feb 03, 2007 11:02 pm UTC

Am I the first person on here to wonder how and by whom this was first figured out? Is it just an instinct thing, like hitting the t.v., "restarting it hasn't helped, so let's try breathing into the back of the cartridge"?

Gordon
Dr. Banana
Dr. Banana

Postby Gordon » Sat Feb 03, 2007 11:04 pm UTC

That is a really good point.
Meaux_Pas wrote:
RealGrouchy wrote:I still remember the time when Gordon left. I still wake up in the middle of the night crying and screaming his name.
I do that too, but for an entirely different reason.
RealGrouchy wrote:
Gordon wrote:How long have I been asleep?!
Our daughter is in high school now.

Mathmagic
It's not as cool as that Criss Angel stuff.

Postby Mathmagic » Sat Feb 03, 2007 11:35 pm UTC

fjafjan wrote:
mathmagic wrote:Anybody who's been on a waterslide knows that the way to get down the slide fastest is to go down while supporting yourself on your heels and elbows (less surface area in contact with the slide

You LIE!
The fastest way, assuming there is a decent amount of water in the waterslide, is to lie down, giving you a great lifting force from the water, aswell as the fact that, atleast on my body, but booty and back have much smoother and "friction friendly" (read, low friction constants) than my elbow and heels, both being notoriously frictiony.
If you also look at the equation for friction
"F = N*"friction constant" (I cannot make roh 8-)) there is nothing about surface area
SMOOCHED!

But did you ever think that the frictional constant is dependent on MULTIPLE factors, including surface area in contact with the surface?

P.S. It has alot to do with drag as well. Yes. Water drag. Look it up, it's true. 8) :P

DOUBLE SMOOCHED
Axman: That, and have you played DX 10 games? It's like having your corneas swabbed with clits made out of morphine.
Pathway: cocks cocks cocks

thomasjmaccoll

Postby thomasjmaccoll » Sun Feb 04, 2007 2:45 am UTC

Belial wrote:
and is it universally acknowledged that 2 was far inferior? I always felt that way anyway.

2 was an entirely different game. If I've succeeded my "Knowledge: Nintendo Lore" check, SMB 2 was actually developed in a completely different franchise in japan, and they substituted in the mario characters to make it a "mario" game, either at the last minute before release in japan, or when it made the translation to america. I am unclear as to the reasons, except perhaps that they thought it would sell better.

It does explain why the game, even in its most basic mechanics and general feel, is *completely* different from every other mario game.

That said, I still liked it.

Yeah, it was good fun, it just didn't compare with the other 2... and it has therefore only contributed to my sincere belief that second things are generally rubbish compared to the first and third. And I had heard that before about the different game... watching that youtube video it reminded me that, while the game was not as good as the other marios, that song is a high contender for the top spot in my favourite mario songs...

Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!

Postby Hawknc » Sun Feb 04, 2007 3:54 am UTC

Mathmagic's right, mostly, though it depends a lot on the depth of the water. In general, drag = 0.5*rho*v^2*Cd*A. (Too lazy to find a latex compiler.) For a really thin layer of water, you need to take boundary layer effects into account as well, and you also need to think about what parts are actually touching the base of the friction coefficient there. Mu (friction coefficient) isn't really much more than a fudge factor derived from experimentation.

Also, I totally lost what this has to do with Nintendo, so could someone explain that?

saxmaniac1987
Can't spell sex

Postby saxmaniac1987 » Sun Feb 04, 2007 4:19 am UTC

it deals with the alt-text...
"A witty saying proves nothing" - Voltaire

Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!

Postby Hawknc » Sun Feb 04, 2007 5:12 am UTC

Of course. Many thanks.

Virus610

Postby Virus610 » Sun Feb 04, 2007 5:21 am UTC

This comic rocks. It is a scary thought indeed, but also very nostalgic. I miss my NES, and my SNES..

By the way, I can answer this slide question too. I did some practical testing on this very subject when I was younger. I present to you all: The fastest possible way to get to the bottom of a waterslide.

malaislinn

AHHHHHHH

Postby malaislinn » Sun Feb 04, 2007 5:14 pm UTC

this is the most fucking hilarious comic yet

i love it

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”