0422: "A Better Idea"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

rwald

0422: "A Better Idea"

Postby rwald » Mon May 12, 2008 4:04 am UTC

Alt text: It's *almost* enough to make me want to redo high school.

I bet I'm one of the few here on the xkcd forums who actually *did* go to my high school prom, rather than a LAN party dressed in formal clothing.
Last edited by rwald on Mon May 12, 2008 4:05 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

antonfire

Re: "A Better Idea" discussion

Postby antonfire » Mon May 12, 2008 4:05 am UTC

I was at physics camp during my prom. It was sweet.
Jerry Bona wrote:The Axiom of Choice is obviously true; the Well Ordering Principle is obviously false; and who can tell about Zorn's Lemma?

LittleChrist

Postby LittleChrist » Mon May 12, 2008 4:06 am UTC

I wish I could say my high school's prom was a formal LAN party, but that would be a sad lie. I'm so having one of these this summer though.
"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
"You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams."
~ Theodor Seuss Geisel

atrain

Postby atrain » Mon May 12, 2008 4:06 am UTC

Jr. High prom: Skipped to play old crappy N64 games :P
Though I too went to my Prom. Rather than a picture w/your date, our entire computer class got a picture together :P

When I think of prom, I think of Programmable Read Only Memory.
Last edited by atrain on Mon May 12, 2008 4:07 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Ahn

Postby Ahn » Mon May 12, 2008 4:07 am UTC

...a formal drunken lan party....

if only we could turn back the hands of time :/

Zifna

Postby Zifna » Mon May 12, 2008 4:07 am UTC

This is genius.

WHEN

(not if, WHEN)

someone organizes one of these in the Midwest, do let me know.

Linux0s

Postby Linux0s » Mon May 12, 2008 4:08 am UTC

Is that a balloon with a tie?
If the male mind truly were a machine it would consist of a shaft and a bushing.

GodShapedBullet

Postby GodShapedBullet » Mon May 12, 2008 4:08 am UTC

Sometimes I look back on all the cool things I could have done in high school and didn't. Then I realize that I can just do cool things now.

Nothing is stopping you from having a LAN party in formal attire, children.

Also, I guess this makes me a pretty bad nerd, but I kind of enjoyed my prom.

benjhuey

Postby benjhuey » Mon May 12, 2008 4:09 am UTC

I went to my prom, then to a LAN party of sorts. Good times were had by all.
多么现在棕色母牛?

Syphon

Postby Syphon » Mon May 12, 2008 4:10 am UTC

The stick girls have invisible boobies, eh?

pyroman

Postby pyroman » Mon May 12, 2008 4:11 am UTC

I would have to full heartedly agree with this one. ALthough i did go to my prom mainly because i felt that i would regret it if i didnt go, the people in my prom group (myself included) had much more fun at the sudo after party the next day where we sat around playing video games and watching movies. Having been to prom i can honestly say the whole thing is quite overrated and the money you spend on it could be put toward something far more awesome.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin

'; DROP DATABASE;--

Postby '; DROP DATABASE;-- » Mon May 12, 2008 4:11 am UTC

I got screwed out of being able to go to mine. :(
poxic wrote:You suck. And simultaneously rock. I think you've invented a new state of being.

daedelus

Postby daedelus » Mon May 12, 2008 4:15 am UTC

oh, prom. anyone else have the experience of wanting to ask out this amazing girl but chickening out at the last second and going with backup girl? AKA bad idea. Regrets, or, in my case, when you start dating her later, she can't seem to stop bringing up how big an idiot you were for not asking her?

and formal attire does not seem to be suited for PC gaming. Those tuxes really restrict your mouse arm's range of motion :)
Dr. Gregory House: You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.

Meloncov

Postby Meloncov » Mon May 12, 2008 4:25 am UTC

Some of my friends did laser tag in formal attire immediately before prom. Due to clothing color, the guys had something of an advantage.

kellsbells
Queen of Cupcakes

Postby kellsbells » Mon May 12, 2008 4:25 am UTC

Oh wow. Prom's coming up fast and this is getting more and more tempting as I still lack a date (nerdy boys and their inability to ask me out...) Though I'm sure I'll end up going with our massive nerdy group dateless or not.

The best part is that with my group of friends, this is quite possibly what will happen directly after Prom. Or an all-night Rock Band party in our formal attire.
A good pun is its own reword.
L wrote:A day without kells is a day not worth living.

lasercannon

Postby lasercannon » Mon May 12, 2008 4:28 am UTC

To be honest, I never did see the point of going to prom. Everyone kept telling me what a great time it was, and how I would regret not going for the rest of my life.

I never did understand what they were talking about.

b.i.o
Green is the loneliest number

Postby b.i.o » Mon May 12, 2008 4:34 am UTC

daedelus wrote:and formal attire does not seem to be suited for PC gaming. Those tuxes really restrict your mouse arm's range of motion :)

That's why you use a laser mouse...all you need to move is your wrist :).

fimmel

Postby fimmel » Mon May 12, 2008 4:38 am UTC

well hopefully ill be able to attend FIRST championships next year and go to robo prom :) ittle probably be my senior gift to myself, goto atlanta

...forest

Air

Postby Air » Mon May 12, 2008 4:39 am UTC

I never knew it was possible for stick figures to wear dresses.

I love the idea. Do what you're into, you know, no sense wasting time/money on an event that's not really your thing anyway. The problem is I'd never be able to find enough like minded people...it'd be a small, boring party...

That's why you use a laser mouse...all you need to move is your wrist :).

or a mouse ring; just move your fingers. Too bad they're not very easily available.

JET73L

Postby JET73L » Mon May 12, 2008 4:46 am UTC

I wish the last two dances I;'d been to had the option of a formal-clothing LAN party.
(technically, one I went to several years ago had a semiformal x-box party down the hall from the auditorium)
And a ring mouse is quite useful.
The Summoning of Dragons. Single copy, first edition, slighty foxed and extremely dragoned.
+++OUT OF CHEESE ERROR+++ +++PLEASE REBOOT+++
"I assumed we were walking to the bakery." "You alwaysassume that!"

aerojad
Wall O' AWESOME

Postby aerojad » Mon May 12, 2008 4:52 am UTC

I'm in for the LAN party.

GCM

Postby GCM » Mon May 12, 2008 4:54 am UTC

Ooh, formalwear? What's that? You actually need that to go to the prom?

antonfire wrote:I was at physics camp during my prom. It was sweet.

Physics camp? Whatever for?
All warfare is based on heavily-armed robotic commandos.
~Sun Tzu

Notes: My last avatar was "Vote Robot Nixon", so I'm gonna keep a list here. :D

unborracho

Postby unborracho » Mon May 12, 2008 4:55 am UTC

This basically sums up my entire high school life. Any chance this image can get blown up (better quality) for 1680x1050 wallpaper?

antonfire

Postby antonfire » Mon May 12, 2008 4:57 am UTC

GCM wrote:Physics camp? Whatever for?
For physics!
Jerry Bona wrote:The Axiom of Choice is obviously true; the Well Ordering Principle is obviously false; and who can tell about Zorn's Lemma?

Kaye

Postby Kaye » Mon May 12, 2008 5:04 am UTC

I usually just lurk, but I had to post for this one.
There's always at least one person per strip who has to say this, so I'll guess I'll be that person: Randall, get out of my head!
I never went to senior prom. My boyfriend and I decided to go to an internet cafe instead. D: Pro'lly a mistake, but we'd gone to junior prom and didn't see anything too special in it.
Anyways, yeah. After years of not thinking about it, JUST YESTERDAY, I had brought it up with my boyfriend. Weird.

ALSO, just thought I'd throw this in there: Some engineering group or something at my school is hosting a formal dance called EPROM. I kind of want to go just because of its nerdiness level. :3

RandomAbuse

Postby RandomAbuse » Mon May 12, 2008 5:06 am UTC

mmm formal attire lan...

my lan outfit (which i got to break out again last weekend) consists of a pentium 4 tshirt i got off my dad, and a GTA bandanna i got from the first lan i went to. figure if im going to be at a lan i may as well geek it up sufficiently :P

cyberia

Postby cyberia » Mon May 12, 2008 5:17 am UTC

Although I'm not a fan of LAN parties, I'd prefer one over a prom.

I went to three proms (mine and two different girls') when I was in high school and each one sucked. A lot.

It's like, 'lets pretend to be grown-ups and have this fancy party where we dress up and sit down and blah blah' except forgetting that we're all 16-17 and too immature to handle that sort of shit so it's just going to turn into this anarchic mess where everyone's kinda drunk and people are having stupid fights and it's all just pleh :x

That said, doing almost any everyday activity in formal wear makes that activity exponentially better.
The patron saint of self-injury. And the glitter sores will heal themselves.

"Somebody said, 'every moment of your life, of everybody's lives, is an unpremeditated work of art'. That's creativity, that's all I know about creativity."

Enigma

Postby Enigma » Mon May 12, 2008 5:25 am UTC

Long time xkcd reader, first time poster.

I LOVE this one. It's fitting in so many ways: prom's coming up in two weeks. So much planning for what? Four hours of people just freaking each other. I'd rather go to a LAN party, but am being peer pressured into prom.

naudasd

Postby naudasd » Mon May 12, 2008 5:33 am UTC

well i feel out of the loop...I'm going to my prom in less than a week, but I don't plan on any lan parties, regardless of attire.

PluTonyum

Postby PluTonyum » Mon May 12, 2008 5:46 am UTC

if we take the old sentiment "go to prom or you will regret it for the rest of your life"
then take a fast informal pole, i will pick me as its fast and a friend who i already talked to on the subject.
as i went to prom and didnt enjoy it, and my friend says he didn't go and does not regret it, i conclude that as the sentiment persists it probably has some truth... but only a small amount
because 1 night is cheep, 1 tux and/or dress is probably affordable go to prom, then go the the lan party afterwards, prom only lasts one night a good lan party wont be over

(and what sort of person, who would attend a land party, would be unable to communicate with the other people and change the date and time of the lan party or, more likely and enjoyable, plan a second)

Not_a_Spambot

Postby Not_a_Spambot » Mon May 12, 2008 6:01 am UTC

Syphon wrote:The stick girls have invisible boobies, eh?

Apparently
Or something like that.

e946

Postby e946 » Mon May 12, 2008 6:30 am UTC

While a lan party would have been nice, I imagine grinding with your date while there would be a little too awkward to be worth it. I'd take the prom and then have a LAN after-party.

mybadluck22

Postby mybadluck22 » Mon May 12, 2008 6:33 am UTC

fimmel wrote:well hopefully ill be able to attend FIRST championships next year and go to robo prom :) ittle probably be my senior gift to myself, goto atlanta

...forest

I went to this last year! For those who don't know, it's a little dance held for those who are missing their proms by going this national robotics competition. It's open to any of the participants, so I went with one of the girls on my team. It was pretty funky, and I ended up meeting some cool people. It was a great opportunity to socialize with the other people there. It's also one of two dances that I've been two, but the other one was, again, for nerds. It was a dance for a program at Cal State LA called the Early Entrance Program, where kids who are high school-age attend college full-time instead of high school.

Feste

Postby Feste » Mon May 12, 2008 7:24 am UTC

If given the option, I'd definitely pick the LAN party.
However, having been an isolated homeschooler all the way through high school, neither option was available for me.

I've since been to one of my college homecoming dances.
Date-free and with a group of strangers.
Let's just say I amused myself by pouring the melted wax from table candles into the glasses of ice water. Quite interesting shapes are formed that way.

Dobblesworth
Dobblesworth, here's the title you requested over three years ago. -Banana

Postby Dobblesworth » Mon May 12, 2008 7:54 am UTC

My school leaver's ball was a similar experience to others above. Never got round to asking a girl out to it, but sometimes I wish I did. As the majority of 'The Nerd Corner' corps in our year did chicken out of the whole affair of tuxedos, dancing and a buffet, perhaps I ought to have followed them that night to the LAN party.

Off-topic:
Obligatory "This, is, SPARTAAAAAAAA" on 300th post.

Grego

Postby Grego » Mon May 12, 2008 8:19 am UTC

I like how "formal attire" consists of wearing nothing but a bow-tie for stick men. He could at least put a suit on =/

speqter

Postby speqter » Mon May 12, 2008 8:25 am UTC

I went to my high school proms (2 of them actually), but I didn't bring any date. I do remember though that one of my closest friends brought a backpack full of Game Pro magazines. I was 13 yrs old back then. Now that we're quite older, we'd still probably do the same.

Not_a_Spambot

Postby Not_a_Spambot » Mon May 12, 2008 8:50 am UTC

I'd just like to say that since I was home-schooled, my prom wasn't worth going to either.

That, and if no one posts after me, the number of posts in the comics section of the forum will be 34,567. Just thought I'd mention.
Or something like that.

entropy_

Postby entropy_ » Mon May 12, 2008 8:52 am UTC

Kaye wrote:There's always at least one person per strip who has to say this, so I'll guess I'll be that person: Randall, get out of my head!

I'll be the second person to say that. I didn't go to my prom, instead I stayed home and read a book. A LAN party would have been so much better and I would have definitely gone had one been available.

EDIT:
Not_a_Spambot wrote:That, and if no one posts after me, the number of posts in the comics section of the forum will be 34,567. Just thought I'd mention.

Oops

Banksy

Postby Banksy » Mon May 12, 2008 8:54 am UTC

I actually had my prom last thursday, and I actually had a Lan party afterwards.
:o
Damn your mind reading abilities Mr Munroe!!!
But if anyone were ever to discover the meaning of life, all of space and time would collapse in on itself, and in the place that remained a large sign would appear saying:

Level 2.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”