0220: "Philosophy"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Toeofdoom
The (Male) Skeleton Guitarist

0220: "Philosophy"

Postby Toeofdoom » Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:16 am UTC

It's like the squirt bottle we use with the cat.

Because humans are great at meaningless stuff.

I want a super soaker to cure my brother of being annoying, would that work?
Hawknc wrote:Gotta love our political choices here - you can pick the unionised socially conservative party, or the free-market even more socially conservative party. Oh who to vote for…I don't know, I think I'll just flip a coin and hope it explodes and kills me.

Website

thefiddler
The Fora's Prophetess

Postby thefiddler » Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:22 am UTC

I go through the same thought process as her all the time. :( I think my LIFE is one huge existential crisis. Go figure.

(And no, squirt guns don't work. :P)

Although a fire hose might...

Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!

Postby Hawknc » Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:45 am UTC

It's clear that Randall's just stolen this idea. It was a video game first, after all.

no-genius
Seemed like a good idea at the time

Postby no-genius » Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:19 am UTC

Oh, please! Randall steals all his ideas. Mostly from TFD. That TFD parody, for instance, was totally a TFD rip-off.
I don't sing, I just shout. All. On. One. Note.
Official ironmen you are free, champions officially

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:Why? It does nothing to address dance music's core problem: the fact that it sucks.

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:33 am UTC

xkcd wrote:It's like the squirt bottle we use on the cat"

Filled with vodka, and never nearby when you need it?
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

Aoeniac

Postby Aoeniac » Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:17 am UTC

Why does the content of the comic always have to be so relevant to my life? XKCD is part of the conspiracy against me.

And my philosophy professor is in league with the Pushmi-Pullyu.

And raptors have already devised a plan to reach my window on the fourth floor.
Class: 12th level Epiphenomenalist Alignment: Rational

Regulus

Postby Regulus » Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:21 am UTC

Aoeniac wrote:And raptors have already devised a plan to reach my window on the fourth floor.

Hahaha... I'm so glad I'm on the 13th floor. There's no way raptors could ever get here (assuming that they couldn't figure out the elevator)...

Were they able to work an elevator in Jurassic Park!?
"Subscribe to your thoughts. Renew your own mind. Discover a world that I couldn't find." -Rudy+Blitz

no-genius
Seemed like a good idea at the time

Postby no-genius » Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:22 am UTC

I'm on the ground floor. SHIT!

Also the Alien Queen managed it, so you shouldn't be looking so smug
I don't sing, I just shout. All. On. One. Note.
Official ironmen you are free, champions officially

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:Why? It does nothing to address dance music's core problem: the fact that it sucks.

hermaj

Postby hermaj » Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:12 am UTC

Belial wrote:
xkcd wrote:It's like the squirt bottle we use on the cat"

Filled with vodka, and never nearby when you need it?

I wouldn't mind being existential if I got a spray of vodka at the end of it. Also, this is one of my favourites so far!

Grincement
Should have Boobs (In theory)

Postby Grincement » Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:15 am UTC

hermaj wrote:Also, this is one of my favourites so far!

Agreed! It's really made my day a lot better...I've laughed :D
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes - Douglas Adams

digitrev

Postby digitrev » Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:28 pm UTC

*thinks of all the people I have to link to this*

Especially all my friends silly enough, er, I mean, forced to take philosophy.

Also: I wish I had a squirt bottle full of vodka. Now I'm thirsty damnit. And I can't go to calculus drunk.

Or can I?
Together we will make the octopus nervous.

Belial

Postby Belial » Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:57 pm UTC

I wouldn't mind being existential if I got a spray of vodka at the end of it. Also, this is one of my favourites so far!

It's horrible, low-quality, shirt-cleaning vodka. Sorry to disappoint.

They/them

Iluvatar

Postby Iluvatar » Wed Feb 07, 2007 1:14 pm UTC

And I can't go to calculus drunk
Best. Calc. Class. Ever. Everything cancels so much easier.
"Don't you see?!"

"Get out of my bed, Randall, I'm trying to sleep!"

Your results may vary.

YQM

Postby YQM » Wed Feb 07, 2007 1:59 pm UTC

digitrev wrote:I can't go to calculus drunk.

Or can I?

Oh, You can. See your drunkenness will be distributed to the class and their soberness will cancel it out so its like you never went drunk anyways.
[url]Its best to keep things simple[/url]

Sometimes I just want to call my comic "Not XKCD"

MichaelJWilliams

Postby MichaelJWilliams » Wed Feb 07, 2007 2:19 pm UTC

YQM wrote:

Or can I?

Oh, You can. See your drunkenness will be distributed to the class and their soberness will cancel it out so its like you never went drunk anyways.

This is true for most classes, but not for calculus. Didn't anybody ever tell you you should never drink and derive?

Hi, by the way. My name's Michael.

dekonstruct

Postby dekonstruct » Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:12 pm UTC

Hahaha drink and derive, I've never done calculus but I find that joke funny! Hi Michael!

Also this cartoon is hilarious, just enough for me to understand it. (starts pumping super soaker).

Tractor

Postby Tractor » Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:29 pm UTC

I need a super-soaker filled with JD.
Would make work go by much quicker...

And any class can be done drunk. I've even written up/given presentations drunk.
Although props for the 'drink and derive' :D
9 x 6 = 42

Note: Randall kicks ass.

digitrev

Postby digitrev » Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:07 pm UTC

MichaelJWilliams wrote:
YQM wrote:

Or can I?

This is true for most classes, but not for calculus. Didn't anybody ever tell you you should never drink and derive?

You sir, win an internets. I should try that one day though. Have a few shots of schnapps before I head in. *ponders*
Together we will make the octopus nervous.

eclipse

Postby eclipse » Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:39 pm UTC

Tractor wrote:And any class can be done drunk. I've even written up/given presentations drunk.

ill drink the vodka squirt bottle to that.

Rat
Rattus Trolleri

Postby Rat » Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:49 pm UTC

digitrev wrote:
MichaelJWilliams wrote:
YQM wrote:

Or can I?

You sir, win an internets. I should try that one day though. Have a few shots of schnapps before I head in. *ponders*

it's interesting this discussion came up and i stumbled upon in 13 minutes before going to class, i was just considering getting high before going to calculus...

i figured i wouldnt for the sake of the test im supposed to take...

but, a few days ago i went to history stoned... i had to write an in class essay on something i hadnt read so i completely bs'ed the whole thing... now normally i wouldnt have even turned anything in but i guess my state of mind told me to go for it...

turns out i nailed it...

Belial

Postby Belial » Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:51 pm UTC

Marijuana as a BSing aid?

Brilliant!

They/them

aldimond
Otter-duck

Postby aldimond » Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:33 pm UTC

At the University of Illinois we have a proud tradition known as Unofficial St. Patrick's Day. The basic gist is that the real St. Patrick's day happened while students were on break, so the bars picked a random day in the spring, opened all day, and told the students to drink all day.

It was always on a weekday.

So class attendance was always very low, and drunk attendance was very high. But mostly the drunks kept quiet...

Except in this English class I took where this guy came in plastered and stumbling around the room, and tried to answer every question and talk about every comment anyone made. It was hi-larious.

Unfortunately it never happened in any of my math or engineering classes.
One of these days my desk is going to collapse in the middle and all its weight will come down on my knee and tear my new fake ACL. It could be tomorrow. This is my concern.

Shadow

Postby Shadow » Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:32 pm UTC

My buddy goes to the Philadelphia University of the Arts and says there are kids that come in tripping on acid, high, drunk, all sorts of things every single day.

aldimond
Otter-duck

Postby aldimond » Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:55 pm UTC

Apparently Oberlin is that way as well.
One of these days my desk is going to collapse in the middle and all its weight will come down on my knee and tear my new fake ACL. It could be tomorrow. This is my concern.

utopian.bookmobile

Postby utopian.bookmobile » Thu Feb 08, 2007 3:41 am UTC

My high school is depressingly like that.

the AP classes aren't so bad, but some classes, especially the required classes that everyone has to take, are chock full with high and drunken people.

thefiddler
The Fora's Prophetess

Postby thefiddler » Thu Feb 08, 2007 3:44 am UTC

utopian.bookmobile wrote:My high school is depressingly like that.

the AP classes aren't so bad, but some classes, especially the required classes that everyone has to take, are chock full with high and drunken people.

Me, too. The best is walking in on people doing drugs in the bathroom and it being all awkward 'cause you've really gotta pee but they're just staring at you. :(

Or, you know, the obligatory arrests at Prom 'cause of the underage drunken people...

Wikey

Postby Wikey » Thu Feb 08, 2007 5:00 am UTC

A group of girls got caught drinking vodka from a water bottle in my Chorus class...in seventh grade.

Tractor

Postby Tractor » Thu Feb 08, 2007 5:07 am UTC

thefiddler wrote:
utopian.bookmobile wrote:My high school is depressingly like that.

Me, too. The best is walking in on people doing drugs in the bathroom and it being all awkward 'cause you've really gotta pee but they're just staring at you. :(

Or, you know, the obligatory arrests at Prom 'cause of the underage drunken people...

Well damn...my high school was, well, pretty tame I guess :(
I suppose that would explain me not drinking until college.
9 x 6 = 42

Note: Randall kicks ass.

dragonfrog

Postby dragonfrog » Thu Feb 08, 2007 5:35 am UTC

Actually, I find I really get into topics when I'm stoned. I always liked reading stoned.

And at uni, I often wanted to smoke a pipe before some of my more interesting classes, but I was always afraid I'd miss something important, or that it was just somehow wrong. In reality, I probably would have gotten even more out of some of the classes that way. Of course, it depends highly on the course, and I majored in comp sci, so I couldn't let the stone carry over to a class where you needed to be sober. So, I never did.

Oh well, perhaps I'll audit something - go back and be the weird older student who asks all the questions, and everyone resents him because he isn't worried about grades, he's just taking stuff out of interest. Then maybe I'll be able to overcome my Protestant background enough to have a little smoke before class...

dragonfrog

Postby dragonfrog » Thu Feb 08, 2007 5:37 am UTC

Oh, and what the heck is with the comic? This is the first one I have completely not gotten, not counting ones where I don't have the math for it but got the basic gist.

Edit - and the link to the existential crisis video game thing is a good hint there there is some cultural reference I'm totally oblivious to

aldimond
Otter-duck

Postby aldimond » Thu Feb 08, 2007 6:03 am UTC

There's nothing more to get than that they're going to squirt her until she snaps out of it.

EDIT: Unless there is more to get...

EDIT2: And I'm just hiding it from you.

EDIT3: And making this post to reassure you that there's nothing more so that you stop searching and never find the truth.

EDIT4: But then again maybe you will catch onto this and think about it unstoppably when there's nothing there.

Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!

Postby Hawknc » Thu Feb 08, 2007 6:17 am UTC

dragonfrog wrote:Edit - and the link to the existential crisis video game thing is a good hint there there is some cultural reference I'm totally oblivious to

Not really, that was just me photochopping a Time Crisis arcade game because I was bored. I'm not a complex man.

Quake

Postby Quake » Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:09 am UTC

A super one. And it's so obvious :idea: what it is all about. Existentialism ? Hmmm. Anyway, I'm still laughing !
And I may of course be totally wrong in my little pond :wink:

Q...e
-------------
This is teh best one so far;
-----------------------
I really feel monogametous today.
It's soon spring equinox, and there are things to do and places to go. Soo..

ohki

Postby ohki » Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:40 am UTC

Shadow wrote:My buddy goes to the Philadelphia University of the Arts and says there are kids that come in tripping on acid, high, drunk, all sorts of things every single day.

A while back a lab partner I had in chem class came in drunk... or something. Long story short, he poured liquid nitrogen all over the desk and floor and kind of giggled as it disperesed.

It really is awesome, that little vapor cushion, then it goes zoooom... but I digress, he shouldn't have done it >.>

Best I've done is learning about magnetically coupled inductors after being awake for 48 hours and consuming a 2 pots of coffee.
But it raining and me peeing on your foot are NOT mutually exclusive.
"Isn't arrogance measured in nano-Dijkstra's?"- Alan Kay

Purple

Postby Purple » Thu Feb 08, 2007 4:39 pm UTC

Anyone ever get high during class, as opposed to just coming to class high? If you hide the X in a skittles bag no one will notice, until you hug the teacher (True Story).

I reccomend saving it for a real heavy day in history, like the day you learn about the invasion of Poland or the bombing of Dresden or Hiroshima.

creaothceann

Postby creaothceann » Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:23 pm UTC

dragonfrog wrote:Oh, and what the heck is with the comic?

They just want to help her. "Your purpose in life is to be squirted at, bitch! Now go find someone who tapes it and sells it on teh internets."

j/k

frezik

Postby frezik » Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:08 am UTC

Wikey wrote:A group of girls got caught drinking vodka from a water bottle in my Chorus class...in seventh grade.

Full water bottle? Straight vodka? That's a lot of vodka for anyone, particularly a 7th grade girl.

utopian.bookmobile

Postby utopian.bookmobile » Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:49 am UTC

Wikey wrote:A group of girls got caught drinking vodka from a water bottle in my Chorus class...in seventh grade.

that happened in my middle school too, except I think it was 8th grade. I don't really remember. Some people also stole liquor from a gift shop when we were on a school trip once. but 100 lb. 13 year olds don't hold liquor well and it's really obvious when they're drunk.

what's kind of surprising to me is that I live in a reasonably well educated suburban college town, and this behavior has been happening as far back as I can remember. My little sister goes to middle school and she tells me that people are still getting caught for trying to sneak alcohol into class.

fersrs

Re: Official "Philosophy" discussion

Postby fersrs » Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:36 am UTC

dragonfrog wrote:Oh, and what the heck is with the comic? This is the first one I have completely not gotten, not counting ones where I don't have the math for it but got the basic gist.

Edit - and the link to the existential crisis video game thing is a good hint there there is some cultural reference I'm totally oblivious to
http://www.existentialcrisis.com/

She just saw that.

Smab

Re: Official "Philosophy" discussion

Postby Smab » Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:27 pm UTC

Philosophy nerd here.
I'm sorry but this comic bugs me, if she's getting sad over existentialism then she doesn't understand it.

Among the more complicated factors Existentialism means that you are the one in control of your life's meaning, so if your life is without meaning then get up and give it some because you are the one to blame.

This explains the non-morose factor of existentialism better than I did.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?aq=f&emb=0 ... 2EV4KBIsNk

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”