0429: "Fantasy"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

phantom

0429: "Fantasy"

Postby phantom » Wed May 28, 2008 4:07 am UTC

alt text: I guess if she accepted irrational realities, she'd hardly be my fantasy.

Makes me wish I could somehow figure out have to have lucid dreams (and kill people without consequence)
my fairly pointless website: http://radoncube.com/
Gelsamel wrote:
Vaniver wrote:I'm claiming that the programming itself is the free will.

10 PRINT "Hello World"
20 GOTO 10
Yeah, the computer is using it's free will to display "Hello World" over and over again.

Pathway
Leon Sumbitches...?

Re: Fantasy

Postby Pathway » Wed May 28, 2008 4:10 am UTC

AAAA! TRANSPOSITION! FIX FIX FIX FOR COVERUP

"we way" --> "way we"

I loves me this comic, though.
SargeZT wrote:Oh dear no, I love penguins. They're my favorite animal ever besides cows.

The reason I would kill penguins would be, no one ever, ever fucking kills penguins.

GodShapedBullet

Re: "Fantasy" Discussion

Postby GodShapedBullet » Wed May 28, 2008 4:11 am UTC

I like the line "I'm burning this fucking world."

phantom

Postby phantom » Wed May 28, 2008 4:11 am UTC

Didn't even notice that. I guess my mind just corrected it for me subconsciously.
Gelsamel wrote:

10 PRINT "Hello World"
20 GOTO 10
Yeah, the computer is using it's free will to display "Hello World" over and over again.

Cavalcadeofcats

Postby Cavalcadeofcats » Wed May 28, 2008 4:11 am UTC

FIRE

Reminds me of the hypothetical comic. But, if anything, even better.
woo

Enigma90825

Postby Enigma90825 » Wed May 28, 2008 4:11 am UTC

I think there was a thread before about lucid dreaming, pretty interesting stuff.

Oh yeah, this comic is amazing. So I guess it's impossible to even fantasize about some people, because to do it correctly it wouldn't be a fantasy for them to exist in. Unless, you go through and buildup the fantasy with a whole story to make everything logical. Then there's a chance!
I am not here... isn't "here" just "there" without the T?

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Wed May 28, 2008 4:19 am UTC

The guy's expression in the last panel is pretty much what I was doing when I got to that point...

And yes, I was reminded of Hypotheticals too...

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

glasnt

Postby glasnt » Wed May 28, 2008 4:20 am UTC

Hehe, I copied the first frame to a friend from far away and noticed the fuckup after I hit send.

Still, in dreams even the people most distant from you geographically can be next to you.. :3

TwilightWonder

Postby TwilightWonder » Wed May 28, 2008 4:24 am UTC

When they realized it was a fantasy, it reminded me of http://www.xkcd.com/390/

Stickfodder
Location: it changes according to my mood i could be here i could be two inches to the left

Re: Fantasy

Postby Stickfodder » Wed May 28, 2008 4:24 am UTC

Pathway wrote:AAAA! TRANSPOSITION! FIX FIX FIX FOR COVERUP

"we way" --> "way we"

I loves me this comic, though.

Wow good catch. I didn't even notice that, I guess that my mind corrected for that as well. But as for the "I'm burning this fucking world" comment all my fantasies end that way but it's not like the people in my fantasies realize they're fake I just have problems.
I'm Creepy? Creepy how?

Gracenotes

Postby Gracenotes » Wed May 28, 2008 4:31 am UTC

GodShapedBullet wrote:I like the line "I'm burning this fucking world."

Where the fucking world is over there, right next to the regular one (or in this case superimposed on it). Presumably the difference between the fucking world and regular world can best be explained by the fact that they're together in the former.

GodShapedBullet

Postby GodShapedBullet » Wed May 28, 2008 4:37 am UTC

Oh, good catch, Gracenotes. I love that particular comic.

Not_a_Spambot

Postby Not_a_Spambot » Wed May 28, 2008 4:41 am UTC

I've often wondered if imaginary characters can break the forth wall and take on a mind of their own. And if so, can they harm the minds/brains that they inhabit, much like a computer virus cripples the very matrix that allows its existence. Can a figment of one's imagination overpower the mind of the person who dreams them to take over their body? Can a virus of this nature... spread, if able to talk someone else into conjuring a similar entity?

Suddenly I sympathize with the machines in The Matrix.

(There is no personality named Harry living in your head. Nope. None whatsoever.) :)
Or something like that.

Green9090

Postby Green9090 » Wed May 28, 2008 4:42 am UTC

Gracenotes wrote:

Where the fucking world is over there, right next to the regular one (or in this case superimposed on it). Presumably the difference between the fucking world and regular world can best be explained by the fact that they're together in the former.

Hahahahaha!

I loved this comic. Genius.
Belial wrote:A man with more arms than the entire hindu pantheon and thirty goddamn dicks has no time for logic! He must consume ever more bacon to fuel his incalculable manhood!

kellsbells
Queen of Cupcakes

Postby kellsbells » Wed May 28, 2008 4:59 am UTC

Man, I wish I could suddenly produce flaming torches while standing on my bed. That would be fantastic at parties.
A good pun is its own reword.
L wrote:A day without kells is a day not worth living.

'; DROP DATABASE;--

Postby '; DROP DATABASE;-- » Wed May 28, 2008 5:00 am UTC

First 3 panels: "Randall, get out of my head."
Last 3: "O_o haha"

(Watch, now I'll find myself fantasizing about her burning things. <_<)
poxic wrote:You suck. And simultaneously rock. I think you've invented a new state of being.

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Wed May 28, 2008 5:08 am UTC

kellsbells wrote:That would be fantastic at parties.

Unfortunately, it is fantastic... that's the problem.

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

Luthen

Postby Luthen » Wed May 28, 2008 5:11 am UTC

I think I would react even worse to finding out that I'd incinerate the world if giving what I wanted.
My fancy new blog Image I am not a vampire! Image PM my location for a prize!*

rnew: ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOAVATAR!
*Terms + conditions changeable

TheHand

Postby TheHand » Wed May 28, 2008 5:12 am UTC

Awwwwwww, and I was really imaginarily rooting for them too..

Oh well. I guess the world has gotta burn sometimes.

phantom

Postby phantom » Wed May 28, 2008 5:23 am UTC

Looks like the "we way" mistake has been corrected. I expected that and saved the old version as soon as the mistake was pointed out in case anyone doesn't believe it. :P http://img71.imageshack.us/img71/3650/fantasylt5.png
Gelsamel wrote:

10 PRINT "Hello World"
20 GOTO 10

MarioMaster151

Postby MarioMaster151 » Wed May 28, 2008 5:28 am UTC

Randall, get out of my head! This is one of my...well, i wouldn't call it a fear, per say, but a possibility that i contemplate. What if i am a figment of someones imagination? What if you are all figments of my imagination? Am i a figment of my own imagination? if so, what happens when i realize it, if i am my own dream, what if i wake up? Fun to think about, but dont think too hard. I enjoyed this comic, and had yet another "Randall is in my head" moment. Wait a minute, what if the reason Randall is always in our heads is because he is a figment of our collective imagination?

AtG

Postby AtG » Wed May 28, 2008 5:38 am UTC

'; DROP DATABASE;-- wrote:First 3 panels: "Randall, get out of my head."

MarioMaster151 wrote:Randall, get out of my head!
I enjoyed this comic, and had yet another "Randall is in my head" moment. Wait a minute, what if the reason Randall is always in our heads is because he is a figment of our collective imagination?

Ja, ich too got zis, how do ze call it? "Don't penezrate me, Randall" moment.

Robin S

Postby Robin S » Wed May 28, 2008 5:41 am UTC

TwilightWonder wrote:When they realized it was a fantasy, it reminded me of http://www.xkcd.com/390/
Quite. Now that others have mentioned it, I see the connection with "Hypotheticals" too, but "Nightmares" was the one which jumped out at me when I first saw this strip.
This is a placeholder until I think of something more creative to put here.

Wes Janson

Postby Wes Janson » Wed May 28, 2008 6:11 am UTC

One of the best in a while. The level of funay declined somewhat this past month, but the last few strips have been genius.

michaelandjimi
Isn't Even Playing

Postby michaelandjimi » Wed May 28, 2008 6:12 am UTC

MarioMaster151 wrote:Randall, get out of my head! This is one of my...well, i wouldn't call it a fear, per say, but a possibility that i contemplate. What if i am a figment of someones imagination? What if you are all figments of my imagination? Am i a figment of my own imagination? if so, what happens when i realize it, if i am my own dream, what if i wake up? Fun to think about, but dont think too hard. I enjoyed this comic, and had yet another "Randall is in my head" moment. Wait a minute, what if the reason Randall is always in our heads is because he is a figment of our collective imagination?

Whoa, dude, get out of my head! I was totally going to post about how he was in my head.*

Robin S wrote:
TwilightWonder wrote:When they realized it was a fantasy, it reminded me of http://www.xkcd.com/390/
Quite. Now that others have mentioned it, I see the connection with "Hypotheticals" too, but "Nightmares" was the one which jumped out at me when I first saw this strip.
I shall join the connection crew.

*I wasn't really.
Whelan wrote:Relax, have a good time, and hope for the bees ;)

jdogmoney

Postby jdogmoney » Wed May 28, 2008 6:23 am UTC

MarioMaster151 wrote:Randall, get out of my head! This is one of my...well, i wouldn't call it a fear, per say, but a possibility that i contemplate. What if i am a figment of someones imagination? What if you are all figments of my imagination? Am i a figment of my own imagination? if so, what happens when i realize it, if i am my own dream, what if i wake up? Fun to think about, but dont think too hard. I enjoyed this comic, and had yet another "Randall is in my head" moment. Wait a minute, what if the reason Randall is always in our heads is because he is a figment of our collective imagination?

The best part of this line of questioning is that it doesn't expressly matter, one way or the other.
Luckily, I have the [noun] of science.

Postby 6453893 » Wed May 28, 2008 6:27 am UTC

Enigma90825 wrote:I think there was a thread before about lucid dreaming, pretty interesting stuff.

Oh yeah, this comic is amazing. So I guess it's impossible to even fantasize about some people, because to do it correctly it wouldn't be a fantasy for them to exist in. Unless, you go through and buildup the fantasy with a whole story to make everything logical. Then there's a chance!

I do this a lot. Before I can fantasize, I often spend so much time building up the situation that I forget about the fantasy I was going to have and veer off into some other train of thought.

AtG

Postby AtG » Wed May 28, 2008 6:40 am UTC

6453893 wrote: I do this a lot. Before I can fantasize, I often spend so much time building up the situation that I forget about the fantasy I was going to have and veer off into some other train of thought.

Are you a masturbator?

Shadic

Postby Shadic » Wed May 28, 2008 7:12 am UTC

I'm now afraid I'll try and catch my next dream on fire.

stormoftara

Postby stormoftara » Wed May 28, 2008 7:16 am UTC

This is so funny! I think the guy I have a crush on, although he barely knows that I exist {I'm serious, he lives on the opposite coast from me, we've only met twice both times in New York, where neither one of us live, and although we did ride in a Taxi together and he gave me a hug, I still doubt he really remembers me}, would probably act in a similar way if he was in my fantasy. Because we'll totally never be together, but a girl can dream, eh? XD

akirjazi

Postby akirjazi » Wed May 28, 2008 7:18 am UTC

...use the fucking Occam's razor... it's next to your regular one

...and now and excerpt from Making Rules thread: ...on the other hand, if we accept for a moment the notion that his mental model of us is sufficiently accurate to represent all our important properties and to ask whether we exist independently, we might as well evaluate that in this case our collective mental model of Randall must be necessarily more accurate than his of us, in which case we are justified to ask if he exists independently of our collective mind. In other words, are we having a consensual hallucination of Randall's existence, is he just a figment of our (disturbed) imagination, are we dreaming of him, and is he going to plead us not to wake up

ha! beat you by 2 months...

Rook

Postby Rook » Wed May 28, 2008 7:52 am UTC

Does this actually count as lucid dreaming, since the guy is awake? In any case, looks like I'm not the only person that lets fantasy scenarios run off in directions that aren't exactly what I'd like. It's worse when I'm half falling asleep from fatigue, because then I lose the ability to differentiate the fantasy from reality. When I snap back, I often spend several minutes, even up to an hour (depending how tired I am) looking for my drink that I put down somewhere, or trying to remember what it is I had to do, before realising it probably doesn't matter.

Nice comic anyways, love the "wtf?" moment at the end.
You scratch my lion, and I'll scratch yours.

mattmacf wrote:Action precedes motivation.

This is very, very important.

DarkKnightJared

Postby DarkKnightJared » Wed May 28, 2008 7:56 am UTC

I also love the "I'm burning this fucking world" line. :lol:

NMcCoy

Postby NMcCoy » Wed May 28, 2008 8:04 am UTC

Gracenotes wrote:
Well played, Gracenotes! Bravo. Image

Dobblesworth
Dobblesworth, here's the title you requested over three years ago. -Banana

Postby Dobblesworth » Wed May 28, 2008 8:09 am UTC

Why would the protagonist outside the dream world act so surprised, when he's consciously fantasising about the girl's pyromania?

scarletmanuka

Postby scarletmanuka » Wed May 28, 2008 8:55 am UTC

Dobblesworth wrote:Why would the protagonist outside the dream world act so surprised, when he's consciously fantasising about the girl's pyromania?

He wasn't expecting the pyromania. He was just musing on how nice it would be if they could be together, but his mind went on to work out what the unexpected consequences would have been.

AceJohnny

Postby AceJohnny » Wed May 28, 2008 9:07 am UTC

"Men live in a fantasy world. I know this because I am one, and I actually receive my mail there." -- Scott Adams (1957 - )

And to those would claim that I personally bring nothing to this discussion:
"The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." -- W. Somerset Maugham (1874 - 1965)

QED.

VelociraptorEvader

Postby VelociraptorEvader » Wed May 28, 2008 10:00 am UTC

Simply hilarious. That is all.
Microsoft: "You've got questions. We've got dancing paperclips."

theferrymantune

Postby theferrymantune » Wed May 28, 2008 10:03 am UTC

VelociraptorEvader wrote:Simply hilarious. That is all.

Also bloody brilliant. ^_^
Did you mean to search for: spidurs

libra

Postby libra » Wed May 28, 2008 10:04 am UTC

Somehow, I was expecting the dreamer's head to burst into flames in the final panel ...

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”