0430: "Every Damn Morning"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Meat_Grinder

Re: "Every Damn Morning" Discussion

Postby Meat_Grinder » Fri May 30, 2008 8:47 pm UTC

Eh, mine was about space and saving it from an interstellar conflict by destroying the crazed AI-controlled battlecruiser(actually it wasn't crazed, it was all a setup to provoke the war, but nobody needs to know, right?)
No trees, cups, swords, or hill :P

The Hyphenator

Postby The Hyphenator » Fri May 30, 2008 8:49 pm UTC

What Dobblesworth, et al, said. I am so sick of those too, but only because I'm jealous that Randall is never in my head. The only ones I've ever related to are... maybe some of the coding ones. And the one about stepping on floor tiles. They're still funny, though!

As for dreams, I can mostly always remember them... actually, maybe this has happened to me, but I just can't remember it. Memory is a funny thing.

EDIT: Dammit, I was almost page topper!
The image link changes whenever I find a new cool website.
Spoiler:

Meat_Grinder

Postby Meat_Grinder » Fri May 30, 2008 8:55 pm UTC

jakerman999 wrote:someone want to clear something up for me? I read these commics at school and a friend of mine thinks that large thing sticking up from the city is a nuke cloud, but i think it looks like a tree. any opinions :?:

That circle around the "trunk" suggests it is a nuke cloud, rather than a tree. If there was no circle, i would agree with the tree version.

virgletati

Postby virgletati » Fri May 30, 2008 9:11 pm UTC

Well, the reason everyone says "HE'S IN MY HEAD!!" is that we never hear these things discussed anywhere else, on TV shows or popular news articles or even that much among friends. At least, that is true for me. But I agree saying it over and over is REALLY annoying. You're not special.

Or rather, maybe we ALL are special, all us xkcd readers. From my random sample of friends I've noticed that the only ones who dream like me, with wonderful adventures where we race through the Amazon leading our band of dedicated spider venom collectors, where great and colorful things happen and we always have a sense of excitement and purpose, are life-loving nerds. And, sadly, so so sadly, there aren't many of us around. At least not in physical proximity.

But my problem is I remember my dreams so clearly when I *just* wake up, and I am so unmotivated by grad school to actually *get* up, that I will easily and happily sink back into them. Every damn morning. And then I'll come to my office well into the afternoon.

DarkKnightJared

Postby DarkKnightJared » Fri May 30, 2008 9:12 pm UTC

For me, I usually don't remember any dreams at all, and when I do, it's very vivid. Seems like my nightmares are more vivid, though. :cry:

double entendre

Postby double entendre » Fri May 30, 2008 9:23 pm UTC

Leliel wrote:I can guarantee light switches work in my dreams - or at least, I can recall 1 dream vividly where they did.

double entendre wrote:I used to lucid dream, and I would experience recursive false awakenings. It could go on for 20 or so recursions. It was horrible.

Double, are all your dreams recursive or just the false awakenings? Just wondering because my dreams tend to repeat, like my head is playing the same movie over and over again with alternate endings. Unfortunately, the usual tendency is for my dreams to start out reasonable and then slowly spiral into nightmarish endings. The fewer recursions I go through before waking up, the better the dream - but the less likely I am to remember it vividly.

I used to have recurring dreams, but I only remember the false awakenings being recursive, because I had recurring recursive false awakening dreams.

Drakuun

Postby Drakuun » Fri May 30, 2008 9:29 pm UTC

If you keep your eyes closed after waking up, you'll forget your previous thoughts/dreams much less.
It will help against frustration of forgetting cool dreams or inventions made during dreams (if I remembered all dreams perfectly, we would have world peace by now).

arbivark

Postby arbivark » Fri May 30, 2008 9:43 pm UTC

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Fri May 30, 2008 9:50 pm UTC

LOL! I'm listening to NPR and they're talking about why people dream about school / exams / not graduating years after they finish school.
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

Linux0s

Postby Linux0s » Fri May 30, 2008 9:51 pm UTC

Judging by the selective fading I'd say the last frame would have to be:

"well I forget exactly... but YOU were in it!"
If the male mind truly were a machine it would consist of a shaft and a bushing.

Ferahgo

Postby Ferahgo » Fri May 30, 2008 10:00 pm UTC

Man, I really hate it when I dream something really long and complex and awesome, and later can only remember bits and pieces. I always think "So WHY did I find this awesome again?"

This comic was very much another "get out of my head Randall!" moment.

Claan22

Postby Claan22 » Fri May 30, 2008 10:19 pm UTC

This happens to me too, especially after a night of staying up late.

MikeArsenault

Postby MikeArsenault » Fri May 30, 2008 10:37 pm UTC

This one made me a bit sad. I am a lucid dreamer and can remember at least one dream I've had the day after almost every day. The non-reaction from the woman sitting at the table is usually what I get when I talk about them to my wife. Even when the dreams were super adventurous or interesting. It's gotten to the point where I don't even talk about them anymore just to spare the awkward silence or the complete disinterest. I get that the comic was meant to be more light-hearted than what it hit me with, but I just thought I would share.

curiousgeorgie

Postby curiousgeorgie » Fri May 30, 2008 10:44 pm UTC

Every morning? I don't even remember that I had a dream most mornings...although when I do, this is of course what happens.

Anyways, that's why you have to write it down as soon as you wake up.

MikeArsenault

Postby MikeArsenault » Fri May 30, 2008 10:57 pm UTC

I usually don't have to try very hard to remember my dreams, they sort of stick with me after I wake up for well into the day. I think I became a lucid dreamer to exert more control over what was occuring in my dreams, as when I was a young boy I used to have very vivid nightmares. Then one day I tried to control what I did in those nightmares, and I got that ability up to the point where I could alter them to be harmless, sometimes even funny. That has stuck with me until the present day here at 36 years old. I remember the dreams where I am flying the most.

[edited to add clarity]

JCCyC

Postby JCCyC » Sat May 31, 2008 12:55 am UTC

curiousgeorgie wrote:Every morning? I don't even remember that I had a dream most mornings...although when I do, this is of course what happens.

Anyways, that's why you have to write it down as soon as you wake up.

Talking out loud is better, or at least it buys you time to get to the pen and paper without forgetting.

joee

Postby joee » Sat May 31, 2008 1:04 am UTC

MikeArsenault wrote:This one made me a bit sad. I am a lucid dreamer and can remember at least one dream I've had the day after almost every day. The non-reaction from the woman sitting at the table is usually what I get when I talk about them to my wife. Even when the dreams were super adventurous or interesting. It's gotten to the point where I don't even talk about them anymore just to spare the awkward silence or the complete disinterest. I get that the comic was meant to be more light-hearted than what it hit me with, but I just thought I would share.

That's sad. Surely you can tell them to other friends, who are more interested in your cool dreams? Or do you just want to tell them to your wife?
Hi glasnt.

Mez

Postby Mez » Sat May 31, 2008 1:29 am UTC

DustinErnst wrote:The alt text is a direct reference to The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader.

• Went to work this morning
  • Read xkcd as normal
  • Went home
  • Hacked on some PHP
  • Went to bed
  • picked up my book
  • Read the next paragraph
  • Jumped out of bed and back to PC to find out whether I had really just read the alt text from xkcd in a book

Can you guess what I'm reading?

And yes - I know you guys normally want us to post in the intro thread... I'll do it tomorrow... ;)

Talking of dreams - I had a strange one this morning - it involved badgers and penguins and rotweilers ... o_o
Regards,
Mez

AlexDitto

Postby AlexDitto » Sat May 31, 2008 1:52 am UTC

I think people keep saying "get out of my head!" because they are frustrated that none of the people around them seem to understand them, and yet there are so many of us who all experience the same thing. I know I feel that way a lot. We're not special, we're just initially uniformly distributed and poor at subsequent travel and clustering.

I highly suggest everyone start a dream journal. It takes a while to get it to work (it's easiest if you start some nights when you're not tired and have lots of time to sleep. It's hard to motivate yourself to write when you wake up in the middle of the night if you're exhausted), but it's worth it.

And I've experienced the same thing with trying to explain dreams you've had to other people. It just doesn't work. It's a unique experience, I think.

Ha! I heard the NPR report about school dreams, too.
One never knows.

MikeArsenault

Postby MikeArsenault » Sat May 31, 2008 2:02 am UTC

That's sad. Surely you can tell them to other friends, who are more interested in your cool dreams? Or do you just want to tell them to your wife?

I dunno. I always thought that I would be able to share everything with one special person, especially something as personal as my dreaming. In a practical sense, I know that it's naive to expect one person to be interested in your shit 100% of the time, but I didn't think marriage would be like this. I do sometimes share some of the really weird ones with friends, but mostly to entertain and endear through storytelling and not so much to help me work out what it all means you know?

Wow, ok. 4th post on these boards and look at me basking in the uncomfortable glow of publically revealed details of my life. That has to be some kind of record or something. Damn this goddamned comic somtimes! Between this one and the one where I couldn't help that girl I knew I've been a little bit of a wreck.

tzar1990

Postby tzar1990 » Sat May 31, 2008 2:04 am UTC

Ah man, this happens to me occasionally (although not nearly as often as I'd like, as I normally forget everything on waking up.)

Still, I remember quite well the weirdest dream I had back in August, actually. It involved my dad and me looking for a shopping mall in a desert, stopping at a little encampment on a sandy beach, and him abandoning me there. After that, it turned out that the camp had people I know (A girl who came to Japan with me, an annoying guy from my class, and a guy who looked like a character off of South Park.) Anyways, the guy who ran the camp made me come to his office, turned an anti-semite, and threatened to kill me for not agreeing with his point of view, but I escaped. Suddenly it was night time, and I was standing on a hill, looking at a cylindrical skyscraper in a far-off city. I talked to the other kids about running away from the encampment, but only the girl agreed, despite one of the other boys being jewish. We escaped to the edge of the ocean, where an old lady in a boat told us "Run silent, and run deep." We ended up kicking off our shoes and running down the sandy beach towards a fifties-era diner (complete with lots of red neon) while the song "Baby I Love Your Way" played in the background.

Sorry about the off-topic post, but I've been wanting to tell someone about that dream for months, but no-one cared.

P.S. Narnia references for the win! I just read that book a few days ago, so I got the reference and found it brilliant.
The universe is full of magical things patiently waiting for our wits to grow sharper. ~Eden Phillpotts, A Shadow Passes

JCCyC

Postby JCCyC » Sat May 31, 2008 2:11 am UTC

tzar1990 wrote:Ah man, this happens to me occasionally (although not nearly as often as I'd like, as I normally forget everything on waking up.)

Still, I remember quite well the weirdest dream I had back in August, actually. It involved my dad and me looking for a shopping mall in a desert, stopping at a little encampment on a sandy beach, and him abandoning me there. After that, it turned out that the camp had people I know (A girl who came to Japan with me, an annoying guy from my class, and a guy who looked like a character off of South Park.) Anyways, the guy who ran the camp made me come to his office, turned an anti-semite, and threatened to kill me for not agreeing with his point of view, but I escaped. Suddenly it was night time, and I was standing on a hill, looking at a cylindrical skyscraper in a far-off city. I talked to the other kids about running away from the encampment, but only the girl agreed, despite one of the other boys being jewish. We escaped to the edge of the ocean, where an old lady in a boat told us "Run silent, and run deep." We ended up kicking off our shoes and running down the sandy beach towards a fifties-era diner (complete with lots of red neon) while the song "Baby I Love Your Way" played in the background.

Sorry about the off-topic post, but I've been wanting to tell someone about that dream for months, but no-one cared.

P.S. Narnia references for the win! I just read that book a few days ago, so I got the reference and found it brilliant.

I am going out on a limb and guessing that (a) you're Jewish, and (b) you got shit from bigot(s) before.

'; DROP DATABASE;--

Postby '; DROP DATABASE;-- » Sat May 31, 2008 3:10 am UTC

Drakuun wrote:If you keep your eyes closed after waking up, you'll forget your previous thoughts/dreams much less.
It will help against frustration of forgetting cool dreams or inventions made during dreams (if I remembered all dreams perfectly, we would have world peace by now).
If I could remember important things the second I wake up, I'd have a lot less problems. >_>
poxic wrote:You suck. And simultaneously rock. I think you've invented a new state of being.

thebandit

Postby thebandit » Sat May 31, 2008 3:18 am UTC

Dobblesworth wrote:Now please, enough "Get out of my head" commentary. xkcd deals with common human themes, ideals, beliefs, practises and routines time after time. It's human nature for the wild visions you only glimpse in a semi-conscious state to not be stored onto your 1500 terabyte hard drive the instant they are summoned into being. What RM is doing here is just presenting a common occurence that can and does happen to people once every few days/weeks/months/years; to have an epically awesome dream and forget it upon waking. He is not tapping into the depths of your cranium to come up with ideas every two days. Now, can we please move on?

NO SHIT! And here I thought he was actually wiretapping my brain. How foolish of me. I shall cease these thoughts immediately.

...or, you know, you could just stop taking every post so literally. The last I checked, "Get out of my head" wasn't forbidden in the rules, and the last I checked, you weren't the forum thought police. I'll say "Get out of my head" if I damn well please, thank you.

tzar1990

Postby tzar1990 » Sat May 31, 2008 7:03 am UTC

JCCyC wrote:I am going out on a limb and guessing that (a) you're Jewish, and (b) you got shit from bigot(s) before.

Actually, I'm Unitarian with occasional Christian leanings (mostly just praying to god when I have an urge to pray.) I've been mocked for nerdiness and having a funny accent before, but never for religion.
The universe is full of magical things patiently waiting for our wits to grow sharper. ~Eden Phillpotts, A Shadow Passes

screech

Postby screech » Sat May 31, 2008 8:13 am UTC

My dreams have been extremely bizarre and lengthy the past couple of days. Most of it is forgotten per the comic, but the storylines and images that remain are oddly surreal.

And I just read Dawn Treader before I saw this comic, so what the hell?
alitheiapsis wrote:HEY NOW DON'T TALK SHIT ABOUT BRONTOSAURUSES

toughlove

Postby toughlove » Sat May 31, 2008 8:46 am UTC

apparently if you have bizarre dreams it means you have a good imagination.

and my dreams are like WOAH! COLOUR! MAFIA! ZOMBIE SHOOTING! RIDING ON FLYING HORSES! ATTACKING A HOUSE!

eh. my dreams are generally videogame-related, or i dream about what im stressing about, and wake up not stressed.
(oh look! i found my expensive book that i lost!)
((I never found the book))

but do you know what freaks me out? people who dream in black and white.
its just CRAZY.
[ Flying is simple. You just throw yourself at the ground and miss. ]

SomeoneElse

Postby SomeoneElse » Sat May 31, 2008 9:02 am UTC

GAH, I had it this morning! I hardly ever remember my dreams at all, but I prefer that to only being able to hang onto a fragment... It had a sandwich, a milkshake, and an 80's disco. Any ideas?

JET73L

Postby JET73L » Sat May 31, 2008 9:05 am UTC

hrgh. I hate when this happens. I have a totally awesome dream, and then it turns out all I can remember is the sword, the cart, and that it had something to do with physics. Ice, maybe. Cold fusion? with a sword. A katana. No, there was grass growing on the ground. Partt of the ground. I was walking on linoleum. Wait, what happened? Nevermind. *finishes forgetting dream*

There are two types of dreams I can remember: A recurring nightmare I had when I was a kid (a camel turns into a rat solder and kills me), and dreams that are part of a longer series of dreams. Recently, though, (until my laptop screen died) I started keeping a dream journal. It turned out the dreams I was forgetting within seconds of waking up were actually all the conversations I remembered having with people that they didn;t remem,ber. So that sort of explains it.

As for the Chronicles of Narnia part, I've read a total of 1 and 3/10 books, and seen 3 movies, which I promptly forgot most of. SO the Voyage of the Dawn Treader quote escapes me.

@ SomeoneElse: Did the sandwich have lettuce? It may be important.
The Summoning of Dragons. Single copy, first edition, slighty foxed and extremely dragoned.
+++OUT OF CHEESE ERROR+++ +++PLEASE REBOOT+++
"I assumed we were walking to the bakery." "You alwaysassume that!"

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Sat May 31, 2008 10:33 am UTC

Kirby Pufocia wrote:It is my greatest regret that I say I have only ever by complete random chance become self-aware in my dreamscape, usually just in time to be woken by something (or someone) completely impertinent.

Yes, this. It happened to me so often back when I lucid dreamed a lot, that I'm pretty sure that part of me becoming lucid was just me waking up... I'd get my consciousness back shortly before the dream ended... become lucid, try to control stuff, and it'd all fall apart, and I'd wake up. Usually I'd then be awake, but occasionally I'd let go and fall back under again, have a false awakening.

Of course, that was just my impression of it at the time, and may have very little to do with what was actually happening.

I also seem to remember that my usual lucid dreaming trigger was being able to breathe underwater... I'd for some reason have my head underwater, and be unable to raise it... take a breath, and realise I could breathe fine... then realise that this was obviously wrong, and I must be dreaming. Then, of course, being lucid, I would start wondering why I fell down that waterfall in the first place, or indeed, why there was a waterfall in the school gym. That or my sudden unexplained nudity, that usually worked too (and even when it wasn't the trigger, it usually ended up being the result...). Whenever I felt the need to test whether I was dreaming or not, checking whether I was telekinetic usually did the trick (since I pretty much always had that ability when lucid dreaming).

Unfortunately, I don't think I've had a lucid dream since I started working... I really should get back into the habit of checking whether I'm dreaming. Though I know that I've had a handful of dreams where the entire dream world has been somehow coded in the various languages I use at work (SELECT * FROM dreams WHERE dull = yes).

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

YFish

Postby YFish » Sat May 31, 2008 3:15 pm UTC

My roommate told me about the lightswitch test for lucid dreaming, and I thought it was intriguing if not necessarily true for everyone. It also presents problems in real life when a non-functioning lightswitch causes you to believe that life is a dream, which also happened to my roommate one day when the power went out in our dorm. Thank goodness she didn't try flying.

Woot for the obscure Narnia reference! I smiled so much when I read the alt-text.

Eugo

Postby Eugo » Sat May 31, 2008 3:53 pm UTC

Well, the reason everyone says "HE'S IN MY HEAD!!" is that we never hear these things discussed anywhere else, on TV shows or popular news articles or even that much among friends. At least, that is true for me. But I agree saying it over and over is REALLY annoying. You're not special.

I think this sums up the main reason for xkcd's popularity. He's putting into words/drawings what so many of us think so often, but never bother to discuss (WHY?!).

Actually, I think the reason...

Or rather, maybe we ALL are special, all us xkcd readers. From my random sample of friends I've noticed that the only ones who dream like me, with wonderful adventures where we race through the Amazon leading our band of dedicated spider venom collectors, where great and colorful things happen and we always have a sense of excitement and purpose, are life-loving nerds. And, sadly, so so sadly, there aren't many of us around. At least not in physical proximity.

...is that we're few and spread thin. So we all probably tried to discuss some things xkcdy, but couldn't find a kindred mind in our vicinity, the sounding board made no sound, we were told to shut up or just ignored.

Now with the advent of the web, any bunch of people with a particular set of interests can find each other. Which makes me almost forgive all the ads and spam.

(ok, just kidding. about ads and spam)

Rustrum

Postby Rustrum » Sat May 31, 2008 5:25 pm UTC

Been reading xkcd for quite a while now, but this comic was the last drop; I have to comment. It's amazing what the author of the comic is able to commune with such exact precision in these strips. Again and again the comics manages to hit me in a way not many other things do. I feel that some of the strips have been made by a person very much like me, who're just much much better at expressing himself than me.

This strip is a great example. The situation is incredibly recogniseable for me, and I do the exact same thing almost every time I dream. I think your strip touches me in a very good way. You have your emphasis exactly where it works, spot on.

Meh, i can't quite express what it is that is SO great about your comic, but I wated you to know that I think it IS great. Very good work, and thank you :)

EDIT: Well, I should learn to read what other posters post. Eugo's post above me pretty much expresses what I think about the comic. Kindred minds indeed :)

Gyllespi

Postby Gyllespi » Sat May 31, 2008 5:32 pm UTC

Oh man. This comic was heartbreaking. I've always had experiences where I woke up and realized I'd just had the best dream ever, so amazing and emotionally stirring that I was sure I'd never feel anything like it, so I just lay in bed and held it close to me, trying not to forget. Then one of three things happens:

1. I forget it.
2. I write it down, or at least write down the fragmented images that struck me the most, but they lose significance when I look at them again.
3. I remember it and try to tell somebody about it, only to be met with blank stares and disinterest. Then on to either 1 or 2.

But the alt text is what really kills me. That may be the most heart-wrenching part in all the Narnia books for me, for the same reasons listed above. :( I'm just really emotional about dreaming, I guess...

Panda

Postby Panda » Sat May 31, 2008 6:08 pm UTC

Oh my. This is my life story.

Also, is anyone else annoyed by that dot on the top right hand corner? *Twitches with OCD*

Linux0s

Postby Linux0s » Sat May 31, 2008 7:18 pm UTC

Panda wrote:Also, is anyone else annoyed by that dot on the top right hand corner? *Twitches with OCD*

I am now. :mrgreen:
If the male mind truly were a machine it would consist of a shaft and a bushing.

AlejoHausner

Postby AlejoHausner » Sat May 31, 2008 7:31 pm UTC

Some tips on remembering your dreams:
  • Make sure you're getting your vitamins! Vitamins B-12 and B-9 (folate) are needed to make acetylcholine, a neurotransmitter, and you may be deficient.
  • Respect your unconscious: it's probably trying to tell you something, and will be miffed if you ignore it. So, keep a notebook and write down or draw anything that you remember. Do this enough, and your recall will probably improve. This worked for me.
  • There are no accidents: Freud would say that if you can't remember your dreams, it's probably because part of you doesn't want to remember them. If you don't believe this theory, consider that there's lots of other things that you can remember in great detail; why would a dream be an exception? Of course, you can't will yourself to do something you don't want to do, but just writing down anything you remember may help break down this resistance.
  • Why we forget: This reminds me of a great quote from Nietzsche:
    "I have done this," says my memory. "I cannot have done this," says my pride, and remains steadfast. Eventually, memory yields.

Vanguard

Postby Vanguard » Sun Jun 01, 2008 3:27 am UTC

This happens on a couple of occassions, but my imagination is extreme and can often control and remember.

JET73L

Postby JET73L » Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:24 am UTC

Panda wrote:Oh my. This is my life story.

Also, is anyone else annoyed by that dot on the top right hand corner? *Twitches with OCD*

"Damn you, sir," (or, rather, ma'am).
LinuxOS wrote:I am now. :mrgreen:

@AlejoHausner: Yeah, Neitzsche is often correct, and, as many philosophers, is most annoying when he is so.
The Summoning of Dragons. Single copy, first edition, slighty foxed and extremely dragoned.
+++OUT OF CHEESE ERROR+++ +++PLEASE REBOOT+++
"I assumed we were walking to the bakery." "You alwaysassume that!"

jakerman999

Postby jakerman999 » Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:30 am UTC

anyone ever have a dream were you think your watching a movie that comes out soon, based on the previews and you go see it within the week and you say something along the lines of "what in hades name??? this isn't how it goes!! they changed it!" that happens to me alot. :|

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”