0432: "Journal 4"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Banksy

Re: "Journal 4" Discussion

Postby Banksy » Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:44 pm UTC

385 wrote:
vodka.cobra wrote:Arg! CAD has that miscarriage story arc and now this mopey shit? Where can I find some goddamn comedy?

Seriously, Dr. McNinja just punched Dracula in the face, and now he's hiding in a hall of mirrors in his moon base. And Faye has a concussion after a raccoon jumped out of the vent and scared her off of the ladder.

I know!
I just hadn't connected the things together...
Sounds like conspiracy to me.

I'm just thankful this doesn't coincide with Depressing Comic Week at C&H.
But if anyone were ever to discover the meaning of life, all of space and time would collapse in on itself, and in the place that remained a large sign would appear saying:

Level 2.

Yuri2356

Postby Yuri2356 » Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:13 pm UTC

Having re-asserted his position as the dominate classhole, the black-hatted man returns to his hunting grounds and prepares to lure new prey...

Shadic

Postby Shadic » Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:13 pm UTC

..Now WOULD be a perfect time for a Depressing Comic Week for Cyanide and Happiness.

And damnit, I didn't know about the C&D plot until now. Oh well. I just read everything I missed.

Maybe Perry Bible Fellowship should do an update with a depressing comic.

Dobblesworth
Dobblesworth, here's the title you requested over three years ago. -Banana

Postby Dobblesworth » Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:19 pm UTC

As he established in Journals 1 and 2, Black Hat Man best snatches his prey by deceiving them through opening himself up emotionally towards them. However, this is just a facade, and beneath this SiGHing classhole lies a devilish predator, ready to pounce on unsuspecting female-stick-figure-formerly-known-as-Black-Hat-Girl.

I gotta admit though, I do enjoy a good SiGH every now and again. Helps put all things in perspective :)

Namaps

Postby Namaps » Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:35 pm UTC

Holy crap, I honestly thought this one was absolutely hilarious.

As much as I appreciate the author's (I try not to refer to people I've never met by their first name, but "Mr. Munroe" feels excessively formal...) ability to portray emotional depth in such a streamlined manner, I think some of you guys are getting too attached to stick figures (no offense intended, though.)

I'll be happy as long as they keep being funny. And I can even enjoy the occasional "Angular Momentum" comic (I didn't link because I'm a technologically illiterate idiot.)
Marbles wrote:The bass trombone is way awesomer than the ordinary trombone.

Turiya wrote:Get out of my head, Randall (except in bed)--that's what SHE said!

JCCyC

Postby JCCyC » Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:08 pm UTC

vodka.cobra wrote:Arg! CAD has that miscarriage story arc and now this mopey shit? Where can I find some goddamn comedy?

Uh... PvP? No, wait, that got serĩous too. Ah! Userfriendly to the rescue!

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:21 pm UTC

pegasos989 wrote:
CatProximity wrote:I disagree with everything else you said

Oh yeah? Well, I don't like your shirt.
It's an alright shirt, but yeah, it's nothing special.
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

Arphaxad

Postby Arphaxad » Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:49 pm UTC

I am a bit disappointed... Classhole is supposed to be above being depressed over a mere girl.

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:57 pm UTC

Arphaxad wrote:I am a bit disappointed... Classhole is supposed to be above being depressed over a mere girl.

Ha. Everyone knows real assholes are only that way to compensate for inner feelings of inferiority or insecurity. The thing that tends to penetrate the asshole facade most bluntly is a member of the opposite sex. That being said, cheer up, I'm sure he'll be up to his old pranks in no time.
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”

GCM

Postby GCM » Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:43 am UTC

Other webcomics? Penny Arcade did something about ninjas, which I won't spoil here. See, it's totally not a pact against us readers or anything. :shock:

If you're still depressed, there's always other ways to cheer up. I'm still not convinced that this isn't some sort of trick.

Oh yes, Sinfest was cute. Disturbingly cute. Not really that sad at all. For me.
All warfare is based on heavily-armed robotic commandos.
~Sun Tzu

Notes: My last avatar was "Vote Robot Nixon", so I'm gonna keep a list here. :D

jakerman999

Postby jakerman999 » Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:02 am UTC

and i think you have left out the one possibility that occurred to me when i read the strip: Munroe is writing/drawing this super strip but needed some extra time, so he threw something quick together and put it on with a quick shot at emo's, and is is going to hit us with something incredibly large Friday.or he is going to give us another quick comic on Friday and use the weekend to create a monster of comedy that will have us rolling on the floor in hysterics because of it and it will all seem like an acceptable compromise. :mrgreen:
If all the worlds my stage let's go to intermission

bbotany

Postby bbotany » Thu Jun 05, 2008 3:27 am UTC

Man, I hate hat shrinkage!

A good hat is borrowed.
Cold lakes and warm seas.
Misfortune.
Ich bin etwas, was etwas egal ist.

exploto

Postby exploto » Thu Jun 05, 2008 3:47 am UTC

Am I the only one who misses black hat guy just going around and doing assholy things to everyone? Hurry up and marry journalgirl or something! Get on with it!

vodka.cobra

Postby vodka.cobra » Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:02 am UTC

CatProximity wrote:
Arphaxad wrote:I am a bit disappointed... Classhole is supposed to be above being depressed over a mere girl.

Ha. Everyone knows real assholes are only that way to compensate for inner feelings of inferiority or insecurity. The thing that tends to penetrate the asshole facade most bluntly is a member of the opposite sex. That being said, cheer up, I'm sure he'll be up to his old pranks in no time.

No; only stereotypical, tactless assholes are compensating for something.
If the above comment has anything to do with hacking or cryptography, note that I work for a PHP security company and might know what I'm talking about.

jimic79

Postby jimic79 » Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:02 am UTC

I just can't wait to see how far he takes this story... or is it a novella? Maybe he should strive for full plot-line development, then life can imitate xkcd and someone can do an off-broadway play of it.

*Tries to find someone to surface a submarine through a frozen lake on a broadway stage under budget...
sproif -
1. Usage: onomatopoeia - the sound of one's brain exploding due to reading a poorly written article.
2. Usage: noun - a poorly made blog with entries that have no relevance to anything useful... http://www.sproif.com

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:09 am UTC

vodka.cobra wrote:
CatProximity wrote:

No; only stereotypical, tactless assholes are compensating for something.
I don't think you can have tact in your assholery, you can only be subtle such that only your target is wounded and can't clearly show anyone else who might have been present that it even happened.

DVC

Postby DVC » Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:18 am UTC

Has anyone else noticed that he has hair?

I thought only female stick figures had hair in Randall's world!

Panda

Postby Panda » Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:20 am UTC

Chaeleigh wrote:
why are the "S," "G," and "H" capitalized, but the "i" isn't? seems like usually there isn't a dot over the "i" in Randall's handwriting (not since comic 96-ish, at least). but, feel free to prove me wrong.

Well,the "S" could be lowercase...
It's also gonna be great when we find out he's only SiGHing because his hat is too small or has a hole or something.

Ohmygosh ... How could we have missed it? We've all been TRICKED... the plot thickens ...

Kalos

Postby Kalos » Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:10 am UTC

There's two interpetations two this comic

Black has is feeling genuine loss and depression, destroying the character and giving the idealistic something to chuckle about as they bask in their carefully maintained air of smug superiority
or
He's trying to lure us in with a variation of the journal trick.

sje46

Postby sje46 » Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:05 am UTC

Shadic wrote:..Now WOULD be a perfect time for a Depressing Comic Week for Cyanide and Happiness.

And damnit, I didn't know about the C&D plot until now. Oh well. I just read everything I missed.

Maybe Perry Bible Fellowship should do an update with a depressing comic.

I didn't think any other xkcd readers read cyanide and happiness.

I wish that PBF would do any kind of update. It's been like two months.
General_Norris: Taking pride in your nation is taking pride in the division of humanity.
Pirate.Bondage: Let's get married. Right now.

Vanishing Hitchhiker

Postby Vanishing Hitchhiker » Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:09 am UTC

sje46 wrote:I didn't think any other xkcd readers read cyanide and happiness.

I wish that PBF would do any kind of update. It's been like two months.

I don't read Cyanide and Happiness regularly, though I have seen quite a few of the strips (argh! stop giving me stuff to read, internet!). June 3's was pretty something, though.

As for PBF, it is semi-retired. He'll update when something of apocalyptic humor occurs to him, I s'pose. Though maybe the fact that it hasn't updated lately is the depressing part.

standinginherfield

Postby standinginherfield » Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:57 am UTC

i was so surprised that nobody had mentioned this yet that i read through all three pages of commentary again to make sure!
perhaps i am being overly analytical, but in a single-celled organism-erm-comic i think it's called for.
or maybe i'm just stating the obvious. but,
he isn't wearing his hat.
he went to all that trouble to get it back,
and he doesn't even bother to put it on.
not only is it not enough that he has it but...he doesn't seem to even try to recapture what he was ostensibly recapturing by...recapturing the hat.

and i mean...do you people get about hats?!

maybe he doesn't want his simple classhole joy anymore. or self. or just the joy.
it's beautiful. it's devastating.
perhaps HE needs to make a new hat.
further: perhaps he's just not wearing it because it smells like her and she has offensive perspiration. maybe he did try it on and now he's just exhaling in self-defense.
maintain wonder.

bumpgrrl

Postby bumpgrrl » Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:36 pm UTC

standinginherfield wrote:i was so surprised that nobody had mentioned this yet that i read through all three pages of commentary again to make sure!
perhaps i am being overly analytical, but in a single-celled organism-erm-comic i think it's called for.
or maybe i'm just stating the obvious. but,
he isn't wearing his hat.
he went to all that trouble to get it back,
and he doesn't even bother to put it on.
not only is it not enough that he has it but...he doesn't seem to even try to recapture what he was ostensibly recapturing by...recapturing the hat.

Brilliant! Absolutely brilliant! I can't believe I missed that! I can't believe we all missed that.
(and I do love the fact that he has hair - I think it's hathead, to highlight his hatlessness)

I think a single-celled-organo-comic definitely calls for deep evaluation. Moreso than the multi panel strips. There's just so much more that we have to pull from our minds rather than be supplied with by "the author".
Belial wrote:Now there is only vengeance and death.

And cookies.

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:38 pm UTC

I thought that he wasn't wearing his hat was kind of obvious. His sort of "defeated" or what have you, state has left him perhaps feeling undeserving of his hat? Or maybe "was it really worth all that trouble when it really wasn't the hat I wanted, it was the girl?" Who KNOWS what he's REALLY thinking.

Kalos wrote:There's two interpretations to this comic
Black has is feeling genuine loss and depression, destroying the character and giving the idealistic something to chuckle about as they bask in their carefully maintained air of smug superiority
or
He's trying to lure us in with a variation of the journal trick.
Precisely. Or perhaps more the author is trying to lure us in in a similar manner.

0xDEADBEEF

Postby 0xDEADBEEF » Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:04 pm UTC

I felt the same way when my submarine got repossessed on the first payment, too.

Oh, the things I was going to nuke!

lassehp

Postby lassehp » Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:46 pm UTC

The Hyphenator wrote:Pff, he's fooling all of you. My guess for the future of this series: hat guy apologizes to girl, hat guy and girl get together; then, months later, hat guy does something horrendously evil to girl, JUST as girl is about to do something horrendously evil to guy. END.

And to those of you who can't believe hat guy showed weakness for once, I would just like to direct you to this comic's alt-text. Today's comic doesn't change anything.

Egads! How could I have missed that alt-text back then? It seems to confirm my interpretation.

Journal: BHG sets out to alienate girls, because he really has problems relating to girls in a positive way. And perhaps he doesn't even like most girls, because they just don't fit his strange personality. So he is at loss for love, and has maybe even given up hope. The alt-text implies that he would really want to meet a girl he could say nice things to. But he doesn't think he will, so he'll just take it out on ordinary girls. At least that's his plan.

Journal 2: His plan seems to succeed. Except, this isn't just some girl who will be victimized by his scheme. This is a girl with a personality similar to his, she is just as searching, frustrated, even hurting, as he is. And she sees right through his scheme, although she doesn't realise their similarity. Black hat guy, however, does. He recognized it immediately, and he wasn't actually executing his plan, but blushing out of genuine interest; he fell in love at first sight.

Journal 3: Black hat guy goes to the end of the world to find - not his hat - but her. Naturally he can't tell her that, so he uses the hat as a substitute: "I like my hat".

Journal 4: Now he has the hat, but he really wants her. He's worse off than when he started, because now he knows she exists, but he also knows - or believes - that she will always reject him. *sigh*

This is a great tragic play.

-Lasse
StratPlayer wrote:Fewer and fewer people writing more and more about less and less. If this trend continues, eventually it will be nobody writing everything about nothing.

Ferahgo

Postby Ferahgo » Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:27 pm UTC

At first I was considerably disappointed at the sheer brevity of this comic...

...But the dig at emo kids makes it forgivable.

Mr. Heavy

Postby Mr. Heavy » Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:31 pm UTC

Better luck next time, xkcd.

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:33 pm UTC

of course, last time we saw him, his hat swallowed him after he got scared...but that's not technically part of this story arc. I was just thinking, it'd be amusing if that guy isn't THE guy, just A guy who found his hat, and he hasn't put it on because there's somebody squashed up inside it. hee.

Death Dragon

Postby Death Dragon » Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:24 pm UTC

Seriously, Dr. McNinja just punched Dracula in the face, and now he's hiding in a hall of mirrors in his moon base. And Faye has a concussion after a raccoon jumped out of the vent and scared her off of the ladder.

Thanks again for making me realize that I get over-excited when I find people who read the same stuff as me . . . I'm just so happy to know that there are people like me out there.

I'm just thankful this doesn't coincide with Depressing Comic Week at C&H.

Is this a good webcomic? Now I'm going to have to check it out . . . No! Exams next week . . . must . . . resist . . . webcomics . . .

Aww . . . poor Classhole. He always was my favorite recurring character. Well, it wasn't a difficult choice, but we'll ignore that. So long as he doesn't stop being a classhole, I hope he gets the girl . . . or whatever it is that he wants. I just want Journal 5!

scape

Postby scape » Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:29 pm UTC

nice

Roland Lockheart

Postby Roland Lockheart » Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:23 am UTC

So much depth in such a simple drawing. This is why I love this comic.
This is one thing up with which I shall not put!
-Winston Churchill

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby ConMan » Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:05 am UTC

Time to throw in another interpretation - when she took his hat, she told him that she was better at classholery than he was. And for a while, he must have thought that he had finally found a worthy adversary.

But look how easily she fell for the old "stolen Russian submarine hidden under the frozen lake" trick. That's the oldest one in the book!
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.

JET73L

Postby JET73L » Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:42 am UTC

CatProximity wrote:of course, last time we saw him, his hat swallowed him after he got scared...but that's not technically part of this story arc. I was just thinking, it'd be amusing if that guy isn't THE guy, just A guy who found his hat, and he hasn't put it on because there's somebody squashed up inside it. hee.

"SiGH. I get my hat back, and someone got eaten by it. Nice."
I like your interpretation.

Edit: as it happened turned out well. Surreality is good, but in moderation. (Or extreme excess)
Last edited by JET73L on Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:10 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
The Summoning of Dragons. Single copy, first edition, slighty foxed and extremely dragoned.
+++OUT OF CHEESE ERROR+++ +++PLEASE REBOOT+++
"I assumed we were walking to the bakery." "You alwaysassume that!"

Salaric

Postby Salaric » Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:51 am UTC

In light of "journal 5" it would see that the theory of him being in love seems to make sense

jacobraccuia

Postby jacobraccuia » Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:46 pm UTC

Oh man. I've been so down this week, and this comic was like a replica of my feelings.
--
"FUCK. Now what?"

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”