0433: "Journal 5"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

russianspy1234

0433: "Journal 5"

Postby russianspy1234 » Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:08 am UTC

Original Alt Text:Pick you up at eight?' 'If you'll have a new car by then.'
Updated Alt Text: 'Pick you up at eight?' 'Nine. I've got to re-mine the driveway.'
Last edited by russianspy1234 on Sun Jun 08, 2008 5:44 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.

atrain

Re: journal 5

Postby atrain » Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:10 am UTC

Is this the end?
They would make an awesome couple :D

russianspy1234

Postby russianspy1234 » Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:11 am UTC

of course its not the end, its the beginning of their joint classholery.

VHBT

"Journal 5" Discussion

Postby VHBT » Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:11 am UTC

Wow... two in a row. I see this series is still going strong (ignoring my feelings about number 4).
Last edited by Hammer on Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:41 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Removed duplicate comic

joee

Postby joee » Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:12 am UTC

Dear Randall, the link to the previous journal comic has an extra double quote.

So glad they got together.

They should go to paintball or laser tag for their date. Or something similarly competitive
Hi glasnt.

GodShapedBullet

Re: "Journal 5" Discussion

Postby GodShapedBullet » Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:13 am UTC

Honestly, I'd rather just have the pathos of this guy losing the girl of his dreams. That's funnier to me.

MissingDividends

Postby MissingDividends » Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:13 am UTC

I wonder where they'll go for their date...

glasnt

Postby glasnt » Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:14 am UTC

I am being picked up at the airport by the man of my dreams at 8pm tonight :oops: :P :P :P

Wolf

Postby Wolf » Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:14 am UTC

This comic made me incredibly happy. Hopefully we'll at least see a few of their interactions now that they're in a relationship. It should prove interesting, at the very least.
There's a method to my madness. Somewhere. Don't worry, I'll find it!

I'm learning game design! Watch my progress here: http://www.humming-rain.com

My friend wrote:You played fast and loose with punctuation and suffered the consequences.

mwn3d

Postby mwn3d » Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:15 am UTC

the detonator definitely should have been more like the one in golden eye. she could bust out the dual-wielded moonrakers then.

Shadic

Postby Shadic » Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:15 am UTC

Oh man. What a date that's going to be.

Namaps

Postby Namaps » Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:15 am UTC

Not so funny, in my opinion. Not terrible, but sub-par for XKCD... :?

In fact, I'm going to be a hypocrite and get too attached to stick figures like I critisized others for doing in the Journal 4 discussion.

This really watered down BHM too much.

GodShapedBullet wrote:Honestly, I'd rather just have the pathos of this guy losing the girl of his dreams. That's funnier to me.

I'd find that quite preferable.
Last edited by Namaps on Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:19 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Marbles wrote:The bass trombone is way awesomer than the ordinary trombone.

Turiya wrote:Get out of my head, Randall (except in bed)--that's what SHE said!

atrain

Postby atrain » Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:17 am UTC

Well, end as in it should no longer be called Journal.
The original journal was their initial interactions building up to this point, named after the original way he attempted to attract her.

After this (assuming they do get together) then its joint classholery, not journal. By all means to I want to see this end, rather, I want to see doubleclassholery in action.

Trooper5445

Postby Trooper5445 » Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:17 am UTC

It is a decent basis and the back and forth at the end is good. If you read the alt-text as the final line I believe it increases in quality. Besides it sets up for more fun. Every trilogy has a 2nd.

SenatorPalpatine

Postby SenatorPalpatine » Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:22 am UTC

Black Hat Man is in a relationship! There's hope for all of us! :)

GodShapedBullet

Postby GodShapedBullet » Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:24 am UTC

SenatorPalpatine wrote:Black Hat Man is in a relationship! There's hope for all of us! :)

This post is a lot funnier if I imagine you are the real Senator Palpatine.

Joeldi

Postby Joeldi » Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:27 am UTC

I didn't really like this comic somehow. I feel black-hair-girl would have toyed with black-hat-guy a little bit more.

And blowing up someone's car isn't a particularly classy way of being an arsehole
I already have a hate thread. Necromancy > redundancy here, so post there.

roc314 wrote:America is a police state that communicates in txt speak...

"i hav teh dissentors brb""¡This cheese is burning me! u pwnd them bff""thx ur cool 2"

sje46

Postby sje46 » Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:29 am UTC

Awesome.

Storyline is EPIC.

Well, maybe not epic, but i like it.
General_Norris: Taking pride in your nation is taking pride in the division of humanity.
Pirate.Bondage: Let's get married. Right now.

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:32 am UTC

GodShapedBullet wrote:[...]the real Senator Palpatine.

I'm sorry you have to learn this way... but Star Wars isn't real. I'm sorry.

Oh, right, comic thread and such. Yeah, I liked this comic... I can see this arc getting very interesting.

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

RyanFox

Postby RyanFox » Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:33 am UTC

Why would he need a new car if the mines were moved the garage? Seems to me like a ball has been dropped.

GodShapedBullet

Postby GodShapedBullet » Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:34 am UTC

phlip wrote:

Oh, right, comic thread and such. Yeah, I liked this comic... I can see this arc getting very interesting.

I doubt the sincerity of your apology.

aleflamedyud
wants your cookies

Postby aleflamedyud » Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:36 am UTC

Joeldi wrote:I didn't really like this comic somehow. I feel black-hair-girl would have toyed with black-hat-guy a little bit more.

And blowing up someone's car isn't a particularly classy way of being an arsehole

The toying was stealing his hat. That's the Classhole way of flirting. Besides, Randall's really just pandering to his readers with this strip.

I hereby propose that "stealing [your/his/her/the] hat" and "blowing up [your/his/her/the] car" become terms for parts of the courtship process here in XKCDia.

Oh, and if those two work as a couple I can easily see them becoming Classy Evil Overlord and Classy Evil Overlady of the World.
"With kindness comes naïveté. Courage becomes foolhardiness. And dedication has no reward. If you can't accept any of that, you are not fit to be a graduate student."

benjhuey

Postby benjhuey » Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:37 am UTC

I wonder if this will turn into anything like Mr. & Mrs. Smith.
I'm hoping it does.
多么现在棕色母牛?

MissingDividends

Postby MissingDividends » Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:39 am UTC

GodShapedBullet wrote:
SenatorPalpatine wrote:Black Hat Man is in a relationship! There's hope for all of us! :)

This post is a lot funnier if I imagine you are the real Senator Palpatine.

Agreed.

phlip wrote:

Sure it is. It's fiction, but it's still real; Senator Palpatine is real in the sense that there are a set of traits that define him as a character. Maybe real isn't the best word (not the one I would have chosen), but it isn't flat-out wrong.

--MD

jib

Postby jib » Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:41 am UTC

RyanFox wrote:Why would he need a new car if the mines were moved the garage? Seems to me like a ball has been dropped.

Maybe she says "Pick you up at eight?", and her car has just been destroyed by the mines in the garage.

joee

Postby joee » Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:42 am UTC

RyanFox wrote:Why would he need a new car if the mines were moved the garage? Seems to me like a ball has been dropped.

Since BHM was the last to speak...

Girl: 'Pick you up at eight?'
BHM: 'If you'll have a new car by then.'
Hi glasnt.

Salaric

Postby Salaric » Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:42 am UTC

Indeed, that somewhat puzzled me as well. Though it is a bit un-classy to blow up his car, it is a master-move from BHM not to mention that he moved them - hight of the strip. One could hope for more "toying with" in the subsequent relationship though

EDIT: Joee: ah good point.. didn't come out clearly though

To GodShapedBullet: the fact that you were thinking about that is a lot funnier to me!
Last edited by Salaric on Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:54 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

nairanvac

Postby nairanvac » Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:46 am UTC

BHM said he moved them to *her* garage. She's the one offering to pick him up, and she's the one who needs the new car.

My question is this: In the last panel, what's that line to the right of BHM?

Salaric

Postby Salaric » Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:48 am UTC

the line down to his text you're talking about?

joee

Postby joee » Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:49 am UTC

nairanvac wrote:My question is this: In the last panel, what's that line to the right of BHM?

Its the line showing he's the one who says "Not even slightly interested"
Hi glasnt.

stormoftara

Postby stormoftara » Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:54 am UTC

I think the question here is, how did she know to put the bombs on his car to begin with? Did she do it to exact revenge for him stealing his hat back, or did she do it in hopes that he would find them and go to find her house? And if he knew where she lived couldn't he have just gone there to get his hat back to begin with? Of course that wouldn't have been as cool and dramatic as the sub through the ice though. I think I am putting way too much thought into this.

Green9090

Postby Green9090 » Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:56 am UTC

nairanvac wrote:My question is this: In the last panel, what's that line to the right of BHM?

Umm... the same kind of line used for every other xkcd speech bubble EVER?

I'm not sure how I feel about this comic, but then I was already in a bad mood. Hopefully this situation will get more lulzy as it progresses.
Belial wrote:A man with more arms than the entire hindu pantheon and thirty goddamn dicks has no time for logic! He must consume ever more bacon to fuel his incalculable manhood!

SenatorPalpatine

Postby SenatorPalpatine » Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:56 am UTC

Black Hat Man came into possession of a Russian sub, and the woman had mines. I think it's fair to assume that neither of them have to worry about money too much.

I could see her buying a new car and then picking him up. It wouldn't really matter if her car was exploded, she'd wouldn't care.

joee

Postby joee » Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:57 am UTC

stormoftara wrote:I think the question here is, how did she know to put the bombs on his car to begin with? Did she do it to exact revenge for him stealing his hat back, or did she do it in hopes that he would find them and go to find her house? And if he knew where she lived couldn't he have just gone there to get his hat back to begin with? Of course that wouldn't have been as cool and dramatic as the sub through the ice though. I think I am putting way too much thought into this.

I read it as she put the bombs on the driveway, which would be under his car when he parked.
Hi glasnt.

Linux0s

Postby Linux0s » Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:58 am UTC

Namaps wrote:This really watered down BHM too much.

GodShapedBullet wrote:Honestly, I'd rather just have the pathos of this guy losing the girl of his dreams. That's funnier to me.

I'd find that quite preferable.

Agreed and agreed.

I rather liked the story remaining open ended so each of us could come up with our own ending.

My preferred "ending" was that BHM simply went back to his lone classhole ways. Sure somewhere deep inside he'd fallen for this girl after all. But in the end it was always the lack of something substantial in his life that forever inspired the sinister ways of the classhole. I just don't see romance inspired and connected through evil but that's just me.

Well it is what it is now.
If the male mind truly were a machine it would consist of a shaft and a bushing.

Green9090

Postby Green9090 » Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:00 am UTC

SenatorPalpatine wrote:Black Hat Man came into possession of a Russian sub, and the woman had mines. I think it's fair to assume that neither of them have to worry about money too much.

I'm not sure that logic follows in comics- there's plenty of precedent for cartoon characters producing inconsequential items for the purpose of gags, but still having money troubles in their real cartoon life where it matters.
Belial wrote:A man with more arms than the entire hindu pantheon and thirty goddamn dicks has no time for logic! He must consume ever more bacon to fuel his incalculable manhood!

kellsbells
Queen of Cupcakes

Postby kellsbells » Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:00 am UTC

I love how, at the sound of an explosion, BHM instinctively holds his hat down... clearly one hat-stealing was quite enough for him.

...Am I being too cheesy if I really enjoy this arc? BHM has been the antagonist and comic relief since the early days of xkcd, and I like to see him become a real character and actually struggle with issues rather than just screw with people to hide his own insecurities... Okay, maybe reading into it a little bit much. But still, I am having fun with this arc. It's different from the norm, but a little variation makes things interesting. Keep it up!
A good pun is its own reword.
L wrote:A day without kells is a day not worth living.

joee

Postby joee » Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:01 am UTC

Linux0s wrote:My preferred "ending" was that BHM simply went back to his lone classhole ways. Sure somewhere deep inside he'd fallen for this girl after all. But in the end it was always the lack of something substantial in his life that forever inspired the sinister ways of the classhole. I just don't see romance inspired and connected through evil but that's just me.

Maybe they break up and he can become all bitter and twisted and even more of a classhole? Knowing that he ruined the one chance he had of being in love?

Edit: But seriously, I like BHM actually being a bit vulnerable and not entirely immune to love.
Last edited by joee on Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:01 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Hi glasnt.

stormoftara

Postby stormoftara » Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:01 am UTC

joee wrote:
stormoftara wrote:I think the question here is, how did she know to put the bombs on his car to begin with? Did she do it to exact revenge for him stealing his hat back, or did she do it in hopes that he would find them and go to find her house? And if he knew where she lived couldn't he have just gone there to get his hat back to begin with? Of course that wouldn't have been as cool and dramatic as the sub through the ice though. I think I am putting way too much thought into this.

I read it as she put the bombs on the driveway, which would be under his car when he parked.

But how would she know where he parked? I'm tired right now so I don't know what I'm saying anyway. XD

And SenatorPalpatine, if they are rich, why were they riding the train? I think they stole the sub, the bombs, and probably she'll steal a new car.
Last edited by stormoftara on Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:04 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

marco

Postby marco » Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:02 am UTC

man..I can't wait for the last part where Black Hat man wakes up and is still at the train and realizes it was all a dream.

I should never write a comic/book/novel of any kind, I would be too cruel to my characters.
"I wonder if she lets anyone into that island of light"

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”