0433: "Journal 5"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Salaric

Re: "Journal 5" Discussion

Postby Salaric » Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:04 am UTC

stormoftara wrote:But how would she know where he parked? I'm tired right now so I don't know what I'm saying anyway. XD

I'ts a very small driveway where you don't have much choice in parking arrangements!!

stormoftara

Postby stormoftara » Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:05 am UTC

Salaric wrote:
stormoftara wrote:But how would she know where he parked? I'm tired right now so I don't know what I'm saying anyway. XD

I'ts a very small driveway where you don't have much choice in parking arrangements!!

Well that makes sense...she just wants to blow up anyone who parks in her driveway.

Salaric

Postby Salaric » Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:07 am UTC

stormoftara wrote:
Salaric wrote:

Well that makes sense...she just wants to blow up anyone who parks in her driveway.

heh, no of course not, classholes always know the next step of their victims!!

robzy

Postby robzy » Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:10 am UTC

Really loving this series of comics. I can somewhat relate to it.

Rob.

Loki

Postby Loki » Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:12 am UTC

This comic was like candy for my brain, I love the way this is going.

rwald

Postby rwald » Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:16 am UTC

40 replies and not one person saying "I've been in relationships like this"? Maybe I shouldn't have expected such from the xkcd forum, but still, I was sure at least one person would say it for the humor value at least.

JohnTheWysard

Postby JohnTheWysard » Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:18 am UTC

MissingDividends wrote:I wonder where they'll go for their date...

A good haberdasher, of course.

1337geek

Postby 1337geek » Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:23 am UTC

Personally, I'm amused at all of the sound effects.

*park*
"Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together." --Carl Zwanzig

GIR

Postby GIR » Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:26 am UTC

kellsbells wrote:I love how, at the sound of an explosion, BHM instinctively holds his hat down... clearly one hat-stealing was quite enough for him.

Actually, it looks like he's just scratching his head...

stormoftara

Postby stormoftara » Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:30 am UTC

Salaric wrote:
stormoftara wrote:
Salaric wrote:

heh, no of course not, classholes always know the next step of their victims!!
Then why didn't she know he would move the bombs? :shock:

TheEldest

Postby TheEldest » Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:38 am UTC

RyanFox wrote:Why would he need a new car if the mines were moved the garage? Seems to me like a ball has been dropped.

That's what she said.

(I've always wanted to say that in a conversation as a natural piece of the dialog instead of as a comeback (It is not a comeback here))

GodShapedBullet

Postby GodShapedBullet » Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:40 am UTC

Well, cars are in garages, so probably at least somebody at the end of this comic is out a car.

kriel

Postby kriel » Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:42 am UTC

Oh me yarm! I knew this was gonna happen!

... Oh me yarm. >> Already two pages, and it's been like 2 and a half hours.

... I'll be reading the thread up to now for the next few minutes.

Salaric

Postby Salaric » Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:44 am UTC

stormoftara wrote:Then why didn't she know he would move the bombs? :shock:

Ah, cause BHM is almost equally Classholy.. uhh holy.. thats an interesting thought.. hmmm

BrianX

Postby BrianX » Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:47 am UTC

Am I the only one that thinks Randall has started a storyline he can't end? I just don't see any sensible resolution to this...

Ferahgo

Postby Ferahgo » Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:49 am UTC

I envy the both of them.

phaiakia

Postby phaiakia » Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:01 am UTC

alt-text for me says "Pick you up at eight?" "Nine. I've got to re-mine the driveway." It's 10:52 Arizona time.

I enjoyed this thoroughly, and frankly, I hope there aren't any more in this series. I'm happy the way it is now :)

JET73L

Postby JET73L » Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:08 am UTC

benjhuey wrote:I wonder if this will turn into anything like Mr. & Mrs. Smith.
I'm hoping it does.

Of course they are. If they worked together, not only would they not be the Classhole and Black Hat Girl, they would rule the world as a pair of despotic overlords. And nobody would be happy, Black Hat Guy unable to pull off his classholery, Black Hat Girl stuck with him instead of being her own sort of Classhole version 2, and the people becvause they would be ruled by those two. This is the best turnout I could have come up with (though this is probably a buildup to something else, considering Randall. Then again, the previous two stories were 5 comics long. If only we could read his thoughts of the futures of xkcd)

12:54 ctz, and it's only this late because of a tornado.
The Summoning of Dragons. Single copy, first edition, slighty foxed and extremely dragoned.
+++OUT OF CHEESE ERROR+++ +++PLEASE REBOOT+++
"I assumed we were walking to the bakery." "You alwaysassume that!"

Stickfodder
Location: it changes according to my mood i could be here i could be two inches to the left

Postby Stickfodder » Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:09 am UTC

I wonder how long it will be before she kills him? Or until he kills her? What does everybody think will one end up killing the other? Will they kill each other? Or perhaps Murder suicide? and if murder suicide who will do the killing?
I'm Creepy? Creepy how?

diego5wh

Postby diego5wh » Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:13 am UTC

I really like how the series is developing, and i hope it isn't the final chapter, i wonder what kind of evil acts they will do together
(this is my 2nd post, sorry if my english is some how bad)

EDIT:
Stickfodder wrote:I wonder how long it will be before she kills him? Or until he kills her? What does everybody think will one end up killing the other? Will they kill each other? Or perhaps Murder suicide? and if murder suicide who will do the killing?

i think both are too smart, it will be interesting when they try to kill each other but none of them will succed.
Helper wrote:Dear god, even the recursion is recursing.

joee

Postby joee » Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:21 am UTC

phaiakia wrote:alt-text for me says "Pick you up at eight?" "Nine. I've got to re-mine the driveway." It's 10:52 Arizona time.

I was perfectly happy with the interpretation that the girl was going to pick up the guy, but I guess it makes more sense this way since BHM knows where the girl lives, but there's no proof that the reverse is true.

<picky>there are two spaces between "Nine." and "I've got to...". Randall was in a hurry I guess. </picky>
Hi glasnt.

GoldenredDragon

Postby GoldenredDragon » Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:35 am UTC

I loved it !

They are just perfect together, and it will give good opportunities to nice stories... :)
I'm thinking of this one now http://xkcd.org/414/ just the kind of things that could happen between them. :P

G.R.D. (Total confidence in M. Monroe, whatever he'll write and draw, it will ring bells in my mind or heart.)
PS: And considering I got rejected just yesterday by a girl I courted for a couple months, this one came as quite a beauty and a relief.

phaiakia

Postby phaiakia » Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:37 am UTC

joee wrote:
phaiakia wrote:alt-text for me says "Pick you up at eight?" "Nine. I've got to re-mine the driveway." It's 10:52 Arizona time.
<picky>there are two spaces between "Nine." and "I've got to...". Randall was in a hurry I guess. </picky>

That's the way it displays, because of the html... even if you type two spaces. I think.

joee

Postby joee » Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:50 am UTC

phaiakia wrote:
joee wrote:

That's the way it displays, because of the html... even if you type two spaces. I think.

Oh, sorry, that wasn't clear. That was a picky comment directed at Randall, not at you.
Although it's interesting that you can't get the double space to appear.
Hi glasnt.

phaiakia

Postby phaiakia » Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:53 am UTC

joee wrote:
phaiakia wrote:
joee wrote:

Oh, sorry, that wasn't clear. That was a picky comment directed at Randall, not at you.
Although it's interesting that you can't get the double space to appear.

Yeah, I knew it was at Randall, no worries :) Now I'm waiting for some coding nazi to come along and prove me wrong on the double space thing... come on, coding nazi, I can take it.

Roivas

Postby Roivas » Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:01 am UTC

Why do other guys in black hats have all the luck? I'd like to meet a nice psychotic girl sometime.

Yawgmoth

Postby Yawgmoth » Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:04 am UTC

Grand, more stupid relationship horseshit. Randall, do us all a favor and just end this "storyline" before this becomes a stick-figure MegaTokyo. :roll:

Namaps

Postby Namaps » Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:16 am UTC

While it's still not among my favorites, I think the new alt-text improves this one greatly.
Marbles wrote:The bass trombone is way awesomer than the ordinary trombone.

Turiya wrote:Get out of my head, Randall (except in bed)--that's what SHE said!

kriel

Postby kriel » Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:20 am UTC

I think both the new and the old alt-texts had their merits.

Q: If Randall has a buffer, why do the alt-texts change from time to time? Wouldn't the alt-texts be in the buffer along with the comic? What about typos? Does Randall stay up till midnight every MWF to update the comic, and then lurk around the forums to see if any typos are pointed out?

... ... Didn't I read somewhere that Randall dosen't read the forums? Have we been lied to?

... CONSPIRACY! -runs for the tinfoil hat-

ouin

Postby ouin » Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:24 am UTC

Joeldi wrote:I feel black-hair-girl would have toyed with black-hat-guy a little bit more.

Salaric wrote:One could hope for more "toying with" in the subsequent relationship though

No more toying when the game is over. And he lost twenty dollars and my self respect he said.
I don't like signatures.

bwan

Postby bwan » Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:34 am UTC

I read it as she put the bombs on the driveway, which would be under his car when he parked.

I didn't actually think about that but considering the new alt-text that's almost definitely the case.

I've noticed everyone seems to be hoping for a Mr & Mrs Smith relationship but am I the only one thinking about how it ends and looking forward to an extreme version of The Break-Up?

(Also disappointed as I was expecting at least one of them to say "you were only supposed to blow the bloody doors off". I guess I expect too much)
bwan

Mystitat

Postby Mystitat » Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:38 am UTC

I guess I'm going to disagree with many people and say that I adored this comic. This kinda thing is something I feel xkcd should be about - relationships between obsessive people. I think all nerds are obsessive to a certain extent. I for one will be printing this comic out and hanging it on my dormroom door, in hopes of attracting eligible gentlemen who also aren't interested in a non-crazy girl.
Ramen time!

TechnoFrood

Postby TechnoFrood » Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:41 am UTC

No one seems to have mentioned one possible outcome, Classhole and black hair girl stay together, theres a chance they may have a kid who turns out to be some sort of Super Classhole or Clashole 2.0 even.

Platypodes
Location: On a knot on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea

Postby Platypodes » Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:45 am UTC

joee wrote:<picky>there are two spaces between "Nine." and "I've got to...". Randall was in a hurry I guess. </picky>

<nerd type="English">
I'm not sure if you're saying that the alt text has two spaces where it shouldn't, or that the alt text only has one space and there should be two. But, to address both:

1. I definitely see two spaces in the alt text.

2. The pair of spaces has been traditionally considered correct, but there's been a modern trend toward using a single space. We don't really have an agreed-upon rule right now; it's more of a debate amongst the punctuators.
</nerd>
videogamesizzle wrote:so, uh, seen any good arbitrary, high numbers lately?

ironhill

Postby ironhill » Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:46 am UTC

This is utter dross it's terrible, pandering garbage. Anyone who read this and laughed must have the mental capacity of a two year old, it really doesn't get any worse than this.

masher

Postby masher » Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:50 am UTC

aleflamedyud wrote:I hereby propose that "stealing [your/his/her/the] hat"

Sorry, I have precedence on that; that's how I got my wife!

Namaps

Postby Namaps » Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:53 am UTC

Mystitat wrote:I guess I'm going to disagree with many people and say that I adored this comic. This kinda thing is something I feel xkcd should be about - relationships between obsessive people.

Well, that's kind of the problem, Munroe's turned BHM into a person. Before he was like the characters in those old Greek plays (I don't know my ancient arts very well, so I hope I referencing the right thing) where he embodies a certain aspect of human nature instead of being a fully-fledged character.
Last edited by Namaps on Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:59 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Marbles wrote:The bass trombone is way awesomer than the ordinary trombone.

Turiya wrote:Get out of my head, Randall (except in bed)--that's what SHE said!

joee

Postby joee » Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:55 am UTC

Platypodes wrote:
joee wrote:<picky>there are two spaces between "Nine." and "I've got to...". Randall was in a hurry I guess. </picky>

<nerd type="English">
I'm not sure if you're saying that the alt text has two spaces where it shouldn't, or that the alt text only has one space and there should be two. But, to address both:

1. I definitely see two spaces in the alt text.

2. The pair of spaces has been traditionally considered correct, but there's been a modern trend toward using a single space. We don't really have an agreed-upon rule right now; it's more of a debate amongst the punctuators.
</nerd>

I meant 1.

I did know about the pair of spaces being correct, but I thought Randall normally uses only one space. But I looked through previous comics, and there are always two spaces after a sentence-ending punctuation mark in the alt text. So he's following convention.
Hi glasnt.

Kalos

Re: journal 5

Postby Kalos » Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:57 am UTC

The ending I think we all saw coming on some level. Thank god he's not "turning over a new leaf" or some crap like that though.

macho

Re: journal 5

Postby macho » Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:07 am UTC

This relationship is going to be pure fun :)

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”