0440: "Road Rage"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

joee

Re: "Road Rage" Discussion

Postby joee » Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:20 am UTC

Death Dragon wrote:Ugh, I HATE tailgaters. I'm only just learning how to drive, and having people directly behind me like that makes me nervous. I realize I may be going a little below the speed limit, but I'm still learning and it's very likely I'll have to hit the brakes fast. Besides, sometimes people tailgate me when I'm going exactly the speed limit. Where's the fire, buddy?

People still tailgate me (and overtake me) when I'm doing the speed limit, and I have my license (although, it's a provisional license).
Hi glasnt.

Mailman

Postby Mailman » Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:03 am UTC

Now this is pranking at it's best...

Flyffe

Postby Flyffe » Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:06 am UTC

I felt a bit disappointed by this comic, because of what seems to me to be a cheap plot device... Someone driving around with a laptop in their car, fair enough. Open, switched on, wi-fi enabled, and in the back seat? That seems extremely unlikely.

Can someone please confirm that 'sure, lots of people do this in America'?
And if one day you should see me, lost in the crowd, lend a hand and lift me to your place in the cloud...

ShaKri

Postby ShaKri » Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:06 pm UTC

Flyffe wrote:I felt a bit disappointed by this comic, because of what seems to me to be a cheap plot device... Someone driving around with a laptop in their car, fair enough. Open, switched on, wi-fi enabled, and in the back seat? That seems extremely unlikely.

Can someone please confirm that 'sure, lots of people do this in America'?

dunno bout in america.. but anyone that uses a USB wi-fi for internet or whatever reason would have it always on if they only used the laptob for 'buisness' and didn't really know much about computers ... as for the back seat... i use the backseat as an easy-access boot.. so thats also plausable to me...

i soo want to do something similar to that on somone =)=) hehe.. ultimate pay back.. no more screaming through 2 layers of glass (your cars and theirs') mwahaha.
Signature : 01000011 01101000 01110101 01100011 01101011
00100000 01001110 01101111 01110010 01110010 01101001 01110011 00100000

Autodidact

Postby Autodidact » Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:08 pm UTC

You can get low power FM transmitters that connect to anything with a headphone jack.
The point is to be able to play your iPod over your car's speakers.
Most of them are very short range but C.Crane sells one with a 40-70 foot range.

The next step is to prepare some funny mp3s and stick it in your car and wait for the next time you encounter a jerk on the road.
Then quickly determine what radio station he is listening to, tune your transmitter to that frequency, start broadcasting and stay in range.

savage

Postby savage » Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:53 am UTC

Aww, they're on a date.

Scary thought.

They could potentially have children at some point. I wonder if they talk about that in the book of Revelation.
The thing about revenge is, you have to do it right.

Death is quick, humiliation is forever.

jakejake

Postby jakejake » Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:33 am UTC

I was horrified by these characters at first, but I've come to like their total disregard for everyone and everything. It makes me think, "What would I do if I didn't care about consequences?" It's enjoyable in the same way that playing Grand Theft Auto is enjoyable.

pcmattman

Postby pcmattman » Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:58 am UTC

I sat in the back of a bus today and looked for wifi... the only ones I found were homes we were driving past. I guess it's unusual for people to have laptops in cars with wifi on?
WikiForAll - because you know you want to.

scarletmanuka

Postby scarletmanuka » Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:33 am UTC

sanitycheck wrote:
scarletmanuka wrote:I have to go with benjhuey with this one. It takes more than just knowing a female who's died for this one to be effective.

Granted...but it can also take less. Anyone who's not in your direct line of sight might have spiraled downhill since you last saw them. Add a little free-floating guilt, because you know you could have done better by them...

I don't know about that. It may be a personal thing, but it seems to me that for this to be effective it'd have to recall a specific person to mind, which would mean that it would have to be someone whom you knew was dead, or at least severely ill or injured or depressed. And I think the free-floating guilt would only apply to cases of depression or suicide. Otherwise, I would think you'd need a more specific connection.
sanitycheck wrote:If there's no one in your life to whom this applies, then either you're several decades younger than me...or I truly envy and admire you.

I don't think that's a justifiable response. Speaking personally, I have a number of female acquaintances but none outside my immediate family (none of whom are currently severely depressed... :) ) on whom I'd ever think I have any significant influence. I don't think that's particularly admirable (or particularly bad, either).

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:43 am UTC

pcmattman wrote:I sat in the back of a bus today and looked for wifi... the only ones I found were homes we were driving past. I guess it's unusual for people to have laptops in cars with wifi on?

You wouldn't find anything looking like that... that would list wifi access points, not wifi clients, like laptops... What you'd need to do is have an open wifi AP (with a bit of smarts in it, like Main said), and wait to see who connects.

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

Plasma Man
Location: Northampton, Northampton, Northampton middle England.

Postby Plasma Man » Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:26 pm UTC

Hooray for team classhole! I'm so glad we're getting to see them doing stuff together, I hope there are more like this to come.

It's interesting that the female half of the pair seems to be much more focused on mental and emotional classholery than black hat man is. Ok, she's taking over someone's computer, but only to mess with their head, and the way she entered the comic was to mess with black hat man's head (black hat's head?). Black hat man seems to have no objection whatsoever to messing with people's heads (as in the original journal comic), but he also seems to like technological approaches, i.e. centrifugal force.
Please note that despite the lovely avatar Sungura gave me, I am not a medical doctor.

Possibly my proudest moment on the fora.

hideki101

Postby hideki101 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:28 am UTC

I like this, though I am not really sure if what I do constitutes as tailgating. I tend to drive behind large vehicles so I can catch their draft to raise my MPG.

Alternatively, if the guy didn't have the laptop, she could have called his cellphone through restricted call (I'm sure she could have gotten the guy's number somehow) as cellphones are much more common on the roads. I am sure the guy is one of those who talk while driving.
Albert Einistein wrote:"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

OmegaLord
LXIX

Postby OmegaLord » Sun Jun 29, 2008 4:53 pm UTC

I'm pretty sure that's exactly tailgating.
So what do you guys know about *glances down at sheet* the kingdoms of orgasms
but I just don't see why someone would tape themselves together.
Bear Police wrote:I got Ready to Die today. Took me too long. Great record.

wobster109

Postby wobster109 » Sat Jul 05, 2008 2:55 am UTC

about that shot in the psychological dark. what if that tailgating driver was the guy from "helping" 383?

steek

Postby steek » Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:17 pm UTC

wobster109 wrote:about that shot in the psychological dark. what if that tailgating driver was the guy from "helping" 383?

actually, it just occurred to me that it may be this guy...in which case, it's really mean to someone who's just trying to be funny

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”