0443: "Know Your Vines"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Szabolcs

0443: "Know Your Vines"

Postby Szabolcs » Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:06 am UTC

http://xkcd.com/443/

Alt: Friggin' modern tents don't have a single piece of rope.

Try using discarded clothing next time, I mean, just because you're not wearing it doesn't mean it's useless..

TheAbstractor

Re: "Know Your Vines" Discussion

Postby TheAbstractor » Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:07 am UTC

TMI, Randall. TMI.

sje46

Postby sje46 » Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:07 am UTC

God I hate that stuff.

I hate poison sumac. Got it over my face in elementary school and couldn't see out of my left eye for a week.
General_Norris: Taking pride in your nation is taking pride in the division of humanity.
Pirate.Bondage: Let's get married. Right now.

cmill126

Postby cmill126 » Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:08 am UTC

I just wonder where all the poison ivy left rashes...

pyroman

Postby pyroman » Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:08 am UTC

hmm... This rope is problematic...
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin

Sartorius

Postby Sartorius » Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:08 am UTC

This is why botany is so good to know!

I'm showing this to my botany lab kids. The discarded clothing is a good idea too.
"Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life." -Terry Pratchett

trvsdrlng

Postby trvsdrlng » Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:08 am UTC

Wow... didn't see that punchline coming. I don't think discarded clothing works the best as bondage equipment, though... not that I know or anything, only being 17. Nope. Unh-unh. :wink:
My GPS has a fetishistic relationship with OK State Highway 9.

LafinJack wrote:Never ever let basic physics get in the way of your dreams.

The Hyphenator wrote:Why is it that every time I visit this thread, I'm not wearing pants?

drconcon

Postby drconcon » Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:08 am UTC

Oh man. I'm still laughing.
Best one for a long time!
Belial wrote:Never assume you're safe.

That's when the raptors get yah!

fimmel

Postby fimmel » Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:12 am UTC

my parents are horticulturists and they used to live where this stuff was everywhere....they're going to love it

Alsadius

Postby Alsadius » Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:12 am UTC

Would you really want to be doing this using tent rope, though? Even if she is into that, I doubt she's into having a tent roof fall on her in the process.

Timequake

Postby Timequake » Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:13 am UTC

...But he still couldn't see the vines once he got back to the tent with them?
GENERATION -i: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum. Square it, and then add i to the generation.

mordacil

Postby mordacil » Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:17 am UTC

Timequake wrote:...But he still couldn't see the vines once he got back to the tent with them?

I'm pretty sure there would be more exciting things occupying the visual field.

nyeguy

Postby nyeguy » Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:18 am UTC

mordacil wrote:
Timequake wrote:...But he still couldn't see the vines once he got back to the tent with them?

I'm pretty sure there would be more exciting things occupying the visual field.

It seems very un-xkcd to not check the mysterious plant you just grabbed to use as bondage rope.

cmill126

Postby cmill126 » Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:20 am UTC

Perhaps the girlfriend likes being, er, close to nature along with the light bondage. Talk about getting dirty.

Althizor

Postby Althizor » Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:21 am UTC

Who says they were at the tent?

Anyway, this is why you bring your own just in case. Who would think it odd to bring rope or duct tape when camping? Though I suppose it would take away from the atmosphere of using the plants. Better safe then....itchy.

Timequake

Postby Timequake » Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:23 am UTC

Althizor wrote:

Anyway, this is why you bring your own just in case. Who would think it odd to bring rope or duct tape when camping? Though I suppose it would take away from the atmosphere of using the plants. Better safe then....itchy.

I'm just wondering how he managed to bring them to a place where he could see well enough to tie them without noticing that they were poison ivy.
GENERATION -i: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum. Square it, and then add i to the generation.

lazarus89

Postby lazarus89 » Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:29 am UTC

Having ivy-rash all over your junk/body parts is as good an excuse as any to throw out some 'character art' a la Megatokyo. The self referentiality would be amazing... any of you "ITT: Let's Make XKCD Worse" people listening?

Edit: Fixed failed linkage.
pedant wrote:You drove your car off a cliff. Moments before your car hit the ground, I plugged you right between the eyes with a sniper rifle. Your car hits the ground and creates a dramatic fireball. How did you die?

Awesomely.

4=5

Postby 4=5 » Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:30 am UTC

yeah, this one isn't funny to me because I know plants better that I know letters, so it's lacking the "I could do that" part.

Stay_Puft_marshmallows
Location: third tube from the left, and straight on till morning

Postby Stay_Puft_marshmallows » Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:31 am UTC

I'm not allergic to poison ivy. Just thought I'd add nothing to the conversation.
text goes where?

aerojad
Wall O' AWESOME

Postby aerojad » Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:32 am UTC

absolute gold

thedufer

Postby thedufer » Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:32 am UTC

Timequake wrote:
Althizor wrote:

I'm just wondering how he managed to bring them to a place where he could see well enough to tie them without noticing that they were poison ivy.

Even though I'm extremely allergic to poison ivy (think standing-prescription-for-steroids allergic), I can never remember which is which between it and the creeper. Its harder than you'd think. Also, is that what you'd be thinking about at the time? I didn't think so.

Edit:P.S. Don't post so quickly. That "At least one message has been added that you may want to review before posting." message is ticking me off.

KMarsh

Postby KMarsh » Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:38 am UTC

Timequake wrote:I'm just wondering how he managed to bring them to a place where he could see well enough to tie them without noticing that they were poison ivy.

...and who says he needs to see to tie them? Having no light available is a great excuse to let your fingers do the...seeing.

Brooks

Postby Brooks » Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:39 am UTC

As someone else said, discarded clothing works. Also bootlaces. Also most packs have some amount of nylon ribbon or webbing or elastic which can be removed.

And sometimes the pretend bondage thing can be hot -- "put your hands right here and here, and *do not* move them." It can be lame and contrived or hot and fun depending on your chemistry and if she's good at play acting.

Frankly, I'm surprised at Randall's lack of resourcefulness. Or at least the characters'.

All that over rationalizing and nitpicking aside, it *was* funny. Er. Nevermind me.

britMonster

Postby britMonster » Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:40 am UTC

Timequake wrote:
Althizor wrote:

Its not that difficult to tie someone up in the dark. . . I mean, not that I'd know or anything. xD

Also, I don't think shoelaces would be the best thing. They'd too easily cut off circulation. They're too thin and not a good kind of rope.

ACEfanatic02

Postby ACEfanatic02 » Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:44 am UTC

Althizor wrote:

Protip: Duct tape = bad idea. Red welts on wrists are somewhat hard to explain the next day.

-ACE

Kazuke

Postby Kazuke » Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:45 am UTC

Hawt.

*clears throat*

But seriously, modern tents be rad.

Timequake

Postby Timequake » Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:49 am UTC

Well, a shoelace is just about as thick as the fine from poinson ivy/virginia creeper, so i don't see why it couldn'e be used.

benjhuey

Postby benjhuey » Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:53 am UTC

As someone who is recovering from a nasty bout of poison ivy... Nasty.
多么现在棕色母牛?

ohki

Postby ohki » Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:57 am UTC

Am I to believe you were both wholly without any sort of ethernet cable? I AM VERY DISAPPOINTED IN YOU BOTH!
But it raining and me peeing on your foot are NOT mutually exclusive.
"Isn't arrogance measured in nano-Dijkstra's?"- Alan Kay

Brooks

Postby Brooks » Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:04 am UTC

britMonster wrote:Also, I don't think shoelaces would be the best thing. They'd too easily cut off circulation. They're too thin and not a good kind of rope.

If you're playing with thin rope like shoelaces, you want to tie loops with square knots so they won't get tighter, and leave a finger's worth of slack. And, of course, have scissors or a knife handy in case of emergencies.

Damn, this all got too complicated. Maybe it's best to just look at the stars and call it a night.

'; DROP DATABASE;--

Postby '; DROP DATABASE;-- » Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:11 am UTC

This ain't right. I'm willing to accept that maybe you didn't know she was into bondage until you got there, but still, you went camping without bringing some sort of emergency rope? (Or as ohki mentioned, ethernet cable.)
poxic wrote:You suck. And simultaneously rock. I think you've invented a new state of being.

steewi

Postby steewi » Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:13 am UTC

And, of course, have scissors or a knife handy in case of emergencies.

If you're into light bondage, that's surely a given, if you're any kind of intelligent.

kyevan

Postby kyevan » Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:15 am UTC

ohki wrote:Am I to believe you were both wholly without any sort of ethernet cable? I AM VERY DISAPPOINTED IN YOU BOTH!

Dude, wi-fi.

ageekstory

Postby ageekstory » Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:16 am UTC

ohki wrote:Am I to believe you were both wholly without any sort of ethernet cable?

Bondage with Ethernet cables. New category for this: http://xkcd.com/305/ ( will definitely beat http://wetriffs.com/ )

With so much Wifi everywhere, I do wonder where all the Ethernet cables have gone.
A Geek Story - Daily Sketches < My daily geeky sketches

Gracenotes

Postby Gracenotes » Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:23 am UTC

Yep, I'm not allergic. And no, of course I'm not smug about it. Really. I mean that. Um.

Quixotess
No. Cookies.

Postby Quixotess » Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:24 am UTC

Huh, see, I thought the girlfriend would be doing the tying. Varying life experiences coming to light, I s'pose.

Anyway, hilarious. Good to see, instead of a sum-up of xkcd in-jokes, fodder for a new in-joke.
Raise up the torch and light the way.

superglucose
hermaj's new favourite

Postby superglucose » Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:51 am UTC

This should be merged with "thinking ahead" ;-) First, should've brought some rope. Second, should've brought a flashlight. Third, should've alerted yourself to the presence of poison ivy before hand ;-)

But that would make an awesome "dude... this was so funny" story.

Puck

Postby Puck » Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:54 am UTC

Funny related story:

My dad is a pharmacist, and when I was in high school I would sometimes come into his shop to help out behind the counter. We're hanging out at the store, relatively slow day, when an attractive young woman (early 20's, I'd guess) comes in asking if we have anything for poison ivy. I point her to the calamine lotion. She asks, "How much do you think I'll need? It's all over my back..."

Dad and I suppress a laugh, get her a bottle and go back to what we were doing. Not 5 minutes later, a guy comes in asking for calamine lotion. I get it for him, and as I'm ringing it up, Dad casually goes, "lemme guess - forearms and knees?"

You can see the guy putting two and two together, then he turns bright red and runs out of the store with his purchase. We had a good chuckle over that one.
22/7 wrote:If I could have an alternate horn that would yell "If you use your turn signal, I'll let you in" loud enough to hear inside another car, I would pay nearly any amount of money for it.

Editer

Postby Editer » Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:20 am UTC

I know a guy who found himself and his GF in some poison ivy in a clearing in a camp; they didn't see it because the ground had been mown recently. But it was still there during some activities I won't describe in detail. Later, recounting the story, he said, "It turns out that if you can use the phrases 'my scrotum' and 'size of a grapefruit' in the same sentence, you should go to the emergency room."
These days, if you don't have ADD, you not paying close enough attention. -- J.P. Barlow

geekygator

Postby geekygator » Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:30 am UTC

Best one in a long, long while. So much so that I came here to post. And that's saying something,

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”