0443: "Know Your Vines"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

SimonBob

Re: "Know Your Vines" Discussion

Postby SimonBob » Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:01 pm UTC

When I saw "useful as rope," I immediately thought of Indiana Jones. Archaeological roleplay! Forget light bondage, I'm gonna swing through some ruins!
The Mammon Industry
Because it can't be art until the gods get the money.

Domovoi

Postby Domovoi » Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:08 pm UTC

SimonBob wrote:When I saw "useful as rope," I immediately thought of Indiana Jones. Archaeological roleplay! Forget light bondage, I'm gonna swing through some ruins!

That's a pretty harsh way to describe your girlfriend.

AWA

Postby AWA » Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:19 pm UTC

Lol'd so hard when I read this. If only the BHM was there, he'd find some way to use the tent and a bobcat.

On a side note, Wikipedia says Virginia creeper isn't that hard to differentiate from poison ivy...something about creeper having serrated edges.

Platypodes
Location: On a knot on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea

Postby Platypodes » Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:21 pm UTC

Branddobbe wrote:So what this comic's message is, basically, is "I have a girlfriend. We have SEX"

Only if you assume that everything you read in xkcd is true. In which case, are you watching out for those humongous airborne red spiders?

phaiakia wrote:You know, I was considering getting an xkcd shirt just so I could wear it out in public and see if any geek guys hit on me. After this comic... uhmmm... let's consider that idea scrapped.

Geek guys are usually not up for hitting on random strangers anyhow... :-|

Domovoi wrote:Seeing? I'm just wondering how he managed to pick them up and bring them to the tent without noticing the burns on his hands.

Does poison ivy act that quickly? I assumed it was like poison oak, with which most people won't feel anything until the next day.

Poison oak is my region's nasty plant, which poses more of a risk to romantic folks than to kinky ones... It wouldn't be any good as rope, but it's got stunning fall foliage that's all too appealing as a component for a pretty bouquet.
videogamesizzle wrote:so, uh, seen any good arbitrary, high numbers lately?

J Spade
Luppoewagan

Postby J Spade » Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:21 pm UTC

AWA wrote:On a side note, Wikipedia says Virginia creeper isn't that hard to differentiate from poison ivy...something about creeper having serrated edges.

And 5 leaves.

Alzheimers

Postby Alzheimers » Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:30 pm UTC

"Light" bondage? Is that like "Light" beer, or "Light" rock?

You're doing it wrong.
If the thought of doing something makes you giggle for more than 15 seconds, you should assume it isn't allowed.

Do it anyway!

Cytoplasm

Postby Cytoplasm » Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:48 pm UTC

I thought it was a pretty funny comic, and I liked the pharmaceutical story shared by Puck I believe.

Some may not find it xkcd-ish by not checking out the vines but if it's the heat of the moment...

It's surprising that with the talk of rope that no one brought up Boondock Saints, although I'm sure that joke would get old fast on the forums.

Anyways, overall an enjoyable comic. :)
¡No tengo miedo a fantasmas!

Spoiler:
Cytoplasm: I have catoragized some of my family into lolcats.
Felstaff: For a drudging Thursday afternoon, that level of cuteness has really made my day. Can... Can I keep you?

Felstaff wrote:
Cytoplasm wrote:shannonigans

<3

phaiakia

Postby phaiakia » Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:51 pm UTC

SEE wrote:
phaiakia wrote:
lassehp wrote:...there is some kind of overrepresentation of kinky people among xkcd readers compared to normal (dare I say neurotypical) people?

You know, I was considering getting an xkcd shirt just so I could wear it out in public and see if any geek guys hit on me. After this comic... uhmmm... let's consider that idea scrapped.

What don't you like about the idea of having a guy at your mercy?

Hmm, if a guy is willing to be "at my mercy," then he's probably too much of a pussy to date me in the first place. (Wimpy guys = totally unappealing to me.)

Also, as I was trying to imply in my post, kinky guys = totally unappealing to me.

dharmamama

Postby dharmamama » Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:08 pm UTC

Domovoi wrote:
SimonBob wrote:When I saw "useful as rope," I immediately thought of Indiana Jones. Archaeological roleplay! Forget light bondage, I'm gonna swing through some ruins!

That's a pretty harsh way to describe your girlfriend.

That's the funniest thing I've read in quite some time, Domovoi! Nice twist on a that's-what-she-said kinda setup.

tgape

Postby tgape » Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:18 pm UTC

Various comments:

For most people, poison ivy takes hours to take effect, possibly as long as a day. (I don't know anyone who didn't have problems until 24 hours later, but I've heard a lot of people online say that it isn't noticed until the next day. Those people I know who got exposed normally got exposed in the evening (when they couldn't see well), and noticed it in the morning.) I think it's generally a little longer than poison oak, but I lack good numbers on it. Poison sumac tends to be quicker (which isn't surprising, considering.)

I think it's not that there's more kinky people here than normal people, just that the people who relate to a given strip have a tendency to speak up more.

Duct tape bondage advice: if you're leaving red marks, you're doing it wrong. Use two layers; the inner layer is adhesive *OUT*. The outer layer is to cover the adhesive. (I know this not because I am kinky, but because I have had friends who were kinky. Not saying if I am or not.)

While I am afflicted by poison ivy, I'd gotten a rather nasty rash from a chemical burn back in college. This rash was sufficiently worse than poison ivy and mosquito bites that those bother me not at all now: they only itch for a long time if you scratch them. If you don't scratch them, they generally are an irritant for only a few hours.

I'm not looking out for the airborne red spiders: I'm too busy watching out for raptors.

Shirts that work to get geeks to talk to you (disclaimer: only tested for male wearers):
"Not anti-social, just shy (You can talk to me!)"
"There's no place like 127.0.0.1"

I've actually heard of a few campsites which advertise wifi hot spots (I haven't been, however.)

zeptobyte

Postby zeptobyte » Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:37 pm UTC

Sykotic1189 wrote:I do have a friend who used a playstation controller though.

The first thing that came to mind was a wireless controller, and I was quite confused..

asanisimasa

Postby asanisimasa » Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:39 pm UTC

I'm assuming the camping trip was a spontaneous thing, because who wouldn't bring some sort of rope?
I know nothing about botany and am horrible at identifying plants, so I could easily get confused, but I don't think I'd use any plants because I'm a very paranoid person. As people already noted, clothes could work well. Duct tape also if you use it like tgape said, however you still have to be careful because it's difficult to cover up all the adhesive. Any couples into light bondage I suggest getting some bondage tape, it works well, won't stick to anything except itself, and can double as a blindfold, etc.. Also, some nice soft cuffs are great.
...Now I really want to go camping.
"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love." - Carl Sagan

sithpirateknight

Postby sithpirateknight » Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:40 pm UTC

ArchangelShrike wrote:Your multipurpose towel is useful in all sorts of situations - it's better to bring two if there is space so that one may be ripped up in case a situation arises.

Glad to see someone is thinking with their head. Obviously you bring a towel with you anywhere you go and can, in turn, use it to tie people up.
"Capital letters were always the best way of dealing with things you didn't have a good answer to." -Douglas Adams

Hexadecimator wrote:but in general, the curvier the symbols get, the more complicated and difficult life becomes.

cyberia

Postby cyberia » Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:13 pm UTC

Was there an edit to this comic or did I misread it?

I could've sworn the first time I read it the third panel said, 'girlfriend: in light bondage'. Which made no sense to me at the time. But then I re-read it and saw 'into light bondage' and all became clear.
The patron saint of self-injury. And the glitter sores will heal themselves.

"Somebody said, 'every moment of your life, of everybody's lives, is an unpremeditated work of art'. That's creativity, that's all I know about creativity."

amazonjane

Postby amazonjane » Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:19 pm UTC

Oh man. My boyfriend has been trying to get me to go hiking with him for weeks. Now I understand why. He's a Boy Scout, though, so I have no poison ivy concerns.
"It's kind of fun to do the impossible." -Walt Disney

DeadCatX2

Postby DeadCatX2 » Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:46 pm UTC

phaiakia wrote:Hmm, if a guy is willing to be "at my mercy," then he's probably too much of a pussy to date me in the first place. (Wimpy guys = totally unappealing to me.)

Also, as I was trying to imply in my post, kinky guys = totally unappealing to me.

This kindofsortofnotreally reminds me of back in the day when my mom would ask me what I wanted to eat. I would reply "I dunno", and then she'd make a suggestion, to which I would respond "nah", and then she would make another suggestion, and again I would say no, and finally she would just tell me to make my own food.

shagie

Postby shagie » Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:54 pm UTC

Years ago I worked at a boy scout camp. The nature guy (not me) would handle poison ivy and say "don't do this". He would then go and wash it off - one can do it within 15 minutes with soap and water. One time, he felt the call of nature prior to washing his hands. He walked funny for a week.

Leonsbuddydave

Postby Leonsbuddydave » Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:07 pm UTC

I'm waiting for someone to say "Get out of my head Randall!" so it can get really awkward in here and no one wants to post anymore.
Shale wrote:It should go without saying that a movie where Stephen Hawking fights ninjas would likely be incredibly awesome. That's not the point.

Teelabrown

Postby Teelabrown » Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:11 pm UTC

thedufer wrote:
Timequake wrote:
Althizor wrote:
Timequake wrote:...But he still couldn't see the vines once he got back to the tent with them?

Who says they were at the tent?

Anyway, this is why you bring your own just in case. Who would think it odd to bring rope or duct tape when camping? Though I suppose it would take away from the atmosphere of using the plants. Better safe then....itchy.

I'm just wondering how he managed to bring them to a place where he could see well enough to tie them without noticing that they were poison ivy.

Even though I'm extremely allergic to poison ivy (think standing-prescription-for-steroids allergic), I can never remember which is which between it and the creeper. Its harder than you'd think. Also, is that what you'd be thinking about at the time? I didn't think so.

Edit:P.S. Don't post so quickly. That "At least one message has been added that you may want to review before posting." message is ticking me off.

In the immortal words of various The Simpsons characters: Leaves of three, leave it be. Leaves of four, eat some more!

Note: I do not actually condone eating of random plants, 4-leaved or not.

Jekka_Lynn

Postby Jekka_Lynn » Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:26 pm UTC

GreatLimmick wrote:My dad's just as allergic to Virginia Creeper as he is to Poison Ivy, so knowing the difference wouldn't help him at all... On the other hand, not knowing the difference wouldn't hurt him at all, so I guess it's a wash.

Same here. I get hives if I touch any type of ivy. My sister had some in her wedding bouquets and so I wrapped a program around mine to make sure it didn't touch my hands. When we had to sing and I was the only one up there with a program everyone just thought I was smart enough to have remembered to bring one up with me :P Needless to say I didn't correct there assumptions.
I'm NOT SHORT!!!!!
Spoiler:
I'm just built low to the ground for speed and accuracy

amazonjane

Postby amazonjane » Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:38 pm UTC

Jekka_Lynn wrote:Same here. I get hives if I touch any type of ivy. My sister had some in her wedding bouquets and so I wrapped a program around mine to make sure it didn't touch my hands. When we had to sing and I was the only one up there with a program everyone just thought I was smart enough to have remembered to bring one up with me :P Needless to say I didn't correct there assumptions.

Your sister had the wedding party sing during the ceremony? Wow. Talk about torturing the bridesmaids. I've been a part of five weddings, and I'm grateful that no performance was required.
"It's kind of fun to do the impossible." -Walt Disney

Pisthetairos

Postby Pisthetairos » Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:49 pm UTC

Some people in this thread seem to be a X-rated version of MacGyver.

I for one am of the opinion that, if it wasn't for the fact that the girlfriend is only into "light" bondage, this accident would turn into an asset.

Seriously, google it. Or not, if you're squirmy.

Nukewaste

Postby Nukewaste » Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:02 pm UTC

Re: ethernet cable bondage

Would crafting a gag constitute some sort of Transmission Control Protocol?
Nuke 'em 'til they glow, then shoot 'em in the dark!

tgape

Postby tgape » Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:10 pm UTC

phaiakia wrote:
lassehp wrote:...there is some kind of overrepresentation of kinky people among xkcd readers compared to normal (dare I say neurotypical) people?

You know, I was considering getting an xkcd shirt just so I could wear it out in public and see if any geek guys hit on me. After this comic... uhmmm... let's consider that idea scrapped.

Just looking around online, happened to come across this: looking for a geek shirt. (Note: not at all what I was looking for - but I saw it and thought of you.) Or would that be a bit too blatant?

Domovoi

Postby Domovoi » Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:27 pm UTC

Platypodes wrote:
Domovoi wrote:Seeing? I'm just wondering how he managed to pick them up and bring them to the tent without noticing the burns on his hands.

Does poison ivy act that quickly? I assumed it was like poison oak, with which most people won't feel anything until the next day.

You have a point. I'm probably thinking about a different plant that's pretty common here, that causes a sting and burning red and white welts the moment you touch it. I had always assumed that the English name was Poison Ivy, but I guess that's not it.

Aside: didn't Mythbusters find a cure for poison ivy burns by pouring vodka on them? If I'm not mistaken, those vodka myths were almost all true, and you really could use it for just about anything.

'; DROP DATABASE;--

Postby '; DROP DATABASE;-- » Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:29 pm UTC

zeptobyte wrote:
Sykotic1189 wrote:I do have a friend who used a playstation controller though.

The first thing that came to mind was a wireless controller, and I was quite confused..
Wiimote. I'd post a related VGCats comic, but I can't find it. :(
poxic wrote:You suck. And simultaneously rock. I think you've invented a new state of being.

ThemePark

Postby ThemePark » Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:33 pm UTC

Domovoi, would it happen to be this plant?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stinging_nettle

jim jim jimmy jim

Postby jim jim jimmy jim » Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:56 pm UTC

Protip: I've assured myself that I had found a vine that was virginia creeper and pulled it up only to find later that I had two vines, one of them being virginia creeper, and the other being poison ivy. The ivy tends to be a bit smaller, at least in my area, so if the two are growing together, one would tend to see the virginia creeper first.
Dude- my feet are afraid of my socks!

ADXCKGuy
Location: Boston, MA, U.S.A., North America, Earth, Sol system, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Universe

Postby ADXCKGuy » Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:10 pm UTC

Domovoi wrote:
Platypodes wrote:

You have a point. I'm probably thinking about a different plant that's pretty common here, that causes a sting and burning red and white welts the moment you touch it. I had always assumed that the English name was Poison Ivy, but I guess that's not it.

Aside: didn't Mythbusters find a cure for poison ivy burns by pouring vodka on them? If I'm not mistaken, those vodka myths were almost all true, and you really could use it for just about anything.
Poison ivy doesn’t really cause chemical burns, it’s an allergic reaction that the vast majority of people experience, a fair number of them severely. And I thought it was jellyfish stings they tested the vodka on.

kesmille

Postby kesmille » Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:39 pm UTC

Cytoplasm wrote:It's surprising that with the talk of rope that no one brought up Boondock Saints, although I'm sure that joke would get old fast on the forums.

Anyways, overall an enjoyable comic. :)

I must confess that "Oooh, what are you gonna use the stupid rope for?" did run through my head more than once, but by the time I got around to posting, I got distracted and commented on what someone else said. Oooh, shiny!

Tenebrais

Postby Tenebrais » Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:08 pm UTC

Domovoi wrote:Aside: didn't Mythbusters find a cure for poison ivy burns by pouring vodka on them? If I'm not mistaken, those vodka myths were almost all true, and you really could use it for just about anything.

I think urine may work too. Though maybe I'm mixing it up with some other plant. In any case, one would need a girlfriend with some more extreme fetishes than "light bondage" for urine to not simply make matters worse as far as the relationship is concerned. Vodka, on the other hand...

I feel compelled to say that this comic has led to quite a conversation with my ex-girlfriend. I won't say any more than that though.

Flying Betty

Postby Flying Betty » Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:09 pm UTC

ADXCKGuy wrote:
Domovoi wrote:

Poison ivy doesn’t really cause chemical burns, it’s an allergic reaction that the vast majority of people experience, a fair number of them severely. And I thought it was jellyfish stings they tested the vodka on.

It was jellyfish stings. And as someone who had been stung by a jellyfish not too long before I saw that, I was cringing the entire time. And wondering why they weren't using vinegar, which is the park ranger accepted treatment for them.
Belial wrote:The future is here, and it is cyberpunk as hell.

arbivark

Postby arbivark » Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:49 pm UTC

Proposal: light bondage workshop at next xkcdia-fest. Foliage-free.

Amarantha

Postby Amarantha » Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:55 pm UTC

Timequake wrote:I'm just wondering how he managed to bring them to a place where he could see well enough to tie them without noticing that they were poison ivy.

I thought that was the point of the comic. Even if he could see them, he didn't know his vines. He'll now learn them so he knows in the future.

I actually did read this and go "Randall, get out of my head" :P Not the poison ivy bit exactly, but just in general. My fiance could also relate; he messaged me this morning to say he liked this comic.
omgryebread wrote:...if I'm watching a fantasy, I want my princess to stab some motherfuckers, claim the crown herself, then invade the prince's kingdom and sleep with his sister.

Platypodes
Location: On a knot on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea

Postby Platypodes » Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:35 pm UTC

Domovoi wrote:You have a point. I'm probably thinking about a different plant that's pretty common here, that causes a sting and burning red and white welts the moment you touch it. I had always assumed that the English name was Poison Ivy, but I guess that's not it.

ThemePark wrote:Domovoi, would it happen to be this plant?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stinging_nettle

Yeah, I bet that's it. I've run into nettles, and they're nasty--instant pain on contact. Gee, if that camping couple had been into serious S/M...
videogamesizzle wrote:so, uh, seen any good arbitrary, high numbers lately?

Vanguard

Postby Vanguard » Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:36 pm UTC

All I can sya after this comic;

Oh, shit.

Ondore

Postby Ondore » Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:43 pm UTC

Sykotic1189 wrote:Never known anyone to resort to plant life. I do have a friend who used a playstation controller though.

I'm hoping it was a DualShock, in the event that things weren't satisfying enough for her. Or the Rez Trance Vibrator.

mjlayman

Postby mjlayman » Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:50 pm UTC

My story is not as exciting as y'all's. When I was a teenager, we were stationed in Virginia Beach and my mother, who could grow anything, thought the house we bought had Virginia Creeper (not seen in our previous billets) in the back corner. We trimmed it and made it look pretty and then one day someone on the patio said "Isn't that poison ivy back there?" Mother said no, it was Virginia Creeper, but later she called the Virginia Extension Agent. He wouldn't go out past the patio. He said it was the largest patch of domesticated poison ivy he'd ever seen. So we had to cut it down and dig up the roots, wrap them all in layers and layers of plastic and leave it at the curb for the HazMat guys to pick up. None of us were sensitive to it; my brother and I still aren't.

RAPTORATTACK!!!

Postby RAPTORATTACK!!! » Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:02 am UTC

Belts!

Always wear a belt. belts solve all of life's problems.
Team 246 OVERCLOCKED!

Grawr-it's-Rikki

Postby Grawr-it's-Rikki » Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:34 am UTC

RAPTORATTACK!!! wrote:Belts!

Always wear a belt. belts solve all of life's problems.

That is true. I once saved my cousin's best friend's favorite celebrity's life with only a chicken and a leather belt.
Tragically, the chicken didn't make it.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”