0444: "Macgyver Gets Lazy"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

paragon12321

0444: "Macgyver Gets Lazy"

Postby paragon12321 » Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:01 am UTC

http://www.xkcd.com/444

Alt text: At the time of this writing, Wikipedia has a wonderful article titled 'List of problems solved by Macgyver'.

Yay! MacGyver finally uses a gun! Now no one can stop him! Why didn't he use guns again?
Last edited by paragon12321 on Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:39 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
For great justice! Take off every sig!

theneutralnewt

Re: "Macgyver Gets Lazy" Discussion

Postby theneutralnewt » Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:03 am UTC

Ha, the list is especially funny in context.

sje46

Postby sje46 » Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:03 am UTC

Shoot! You beat me. I was going to make my first comic thread, but I couldn't think of anything clever to say for the OP.

This reminds me of superheros. I never figured out why they never used guns.
General_Norris: Taking pride in your nation is taking pride in the division of humanity.
Pirate.Bondage: Let's get married. Right now.

DeathGod321

Postby DeathGod321 » Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:04 am UTC

Why use guns when you have paperclips?

paragon12321

Postby paragon12321 » Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:07 am UTC

I'll answer my own question, using the magic of Wikipedia!

[MacGyver] refuses to carry or use a gun due to a childhood accident with a revolver that resulted in the death of a friend.

war3_master

Postby war3_master » Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:09 am UTC

MacGyver would never use a gun, not after what happened to his childhood friend. For those of you who have forgotten or not seen the particular episode where it was explained, when he was young him and his friends found a gun and played with it. Then the gun got knocked out of one the boys hands, flew in the air, landed, and discharged, shooting MacGyver's friend. Never mind the fact that this is an impossibility.

Megatriorchis

Postby Megatriorchis » Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:10 am UTC

That's a crazy reason to not like guns. Guns don't kill, kids with guns kill.

Because paperclips kill.
Last edited by Megatriorchis on Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:11 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
The Humanity for the Undead Coalition: Bringing Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness to the Undead and Other Supernatural Humanoids. Zombies don't eat people; people eat people!

TheHand

Postby TheHand » Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:11 am UTC

Oh come now MacGyver!

You could have at least fired the metal slug with a high-tension rubber band!

Megatriorchis

Postby Megatriorchis » Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:12 am UTC

TheHand wrote:Oh come now MacGyver!

You could have at least fired the metal slug with a high-tension rubber band!

I would quite like to see that in action. The Mythbusters should try it. It just seems so implausible.
The Humanity for the Undead Coalition: Bringing Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness to the Undead and Other Supernatural Humanoids. Zombies don't eat people; people eat people!

Lord Aurora

Postby Lord Aurora » Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:17 am UTC

war3_master wrote:MacGyver would never use a gun, not after what happened to his childhood friend. For those of you who have forgotten or not seen the particular episode where it was explained, when he was young him and his friends found a gun and played with it. Then the gun got knocked out of one the boys hands, flew in the air, landed, and discharged, shooting MacGyver's friend. Never mind the fact that this is an impossibility.

If you're even passably familiar with guns, you'll know that, even at their best, they're unpredictable little buggers. It's entirely possible that a weapon would discharge upon hitting the ground---perhaps not a modern weapon, but an old-timey one (like one that would be referenced in MacGyver's childhood) wouldn't rule out the possibility.
Decker wrote:Children! Children! There's no need to fight. You're ALL stupid.

CrayolaTwo

Postby CrayolaTwo » Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:24 am UTC

1) Once again, I experience the "holy crap he's in my head" feeling. I was just talking about MacGuyver a few hours ago. Crazy!

2) What is up with Richard Dean Anderson that makes people want him to have people he "loves" shot accidentally? First MacGuyver, then Jack O'Neill's son... I need to go watch some Stargate.

Almost in register

Postby Almost in register » Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:24 am UTC

Would be nice if the original post had a link to List of problems solved by MacGyver.

william
Not a Raptor. Honest.

Postby william » Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:28 am UTC

Lord Aurora wrote:
war3_master wrote:MacGyver would never use a gun, not after what happened to his childhood friend. For those of you who have forgotten or not seen the particular episode where it was explained, when he was young him and his friends found a gun and played with it. Then the gun got knocked out of one the boys hands, flew in the air, landed, and discharged, shooting MacGyver's friend. Never mind the fact that this is an impossibility.

If you're even passably familiar with guns, you'll know that, even at their best, they're unpredictable little buggers. It's entirely possible that a weapon would discharge upon hitting the ground---perhaps not a modern weapon, but an old-timey one (like one that would be referenced in MacGyver's childhood) wouldn't rule out the possibility.

Incidentially, an accidential gunfire also killed Jack O'Neill's son.
SecondTalon wrote:A pile of shit can call itself a delicious pie, but that doesn't make it true.

1337geek

Postby 1337geek » Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:33 am UTC

I was going to post about MacGyver not using guns, but it seems I've been beaten to it. I applaud my classic-TV-loving forum friends.

So, who remembers the final episode, when we found out that
Spoiler:
MacGyver's first name is Angus and he had an illegitimate son?
"Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together." --Carl Zwanzig

jim jim jimmy jim

Postby jim jim jimmy jim » Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:34 am UTC

I stared at this one for a while before noticing the title or the alt text. Without those, I had no Idea what was going on. With those, world domination. I don't really know what I mean by that.
Dude- my feet are afraid of my socks!

Wes Janson

Postby Wes Janson » Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:35 am UTC

The real question is....

What caliber does MacGyver use?

paragon12321

Postby paragon12321 » Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:39 am UTC

Almost in register wrote:Would be nice if the original post had a link to List of problems solved by MacGyver.

Done.

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:41 am UTC

Frankly, I consider that MacGyver saw the errors of his ways upon traveling through the Stargate.

amazonjane

Postby amazonjane » Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:43 am UTC

this is a delightful one. I have a brother-in-law who we call MacGyver because of his vow to always carry duct tape and a set of screwdrivers. it's a fun fact.
"It's kind of fun to do the impossible." -Walt Disney

Frank Battaglia

Postby Frank Battaglia » Wed Jul 02, 2008 5:08 am UTC

Mac wouldn't use a gun.

mdhughes

Postby mdhughes » Wed Jul 02, 2008 5:21 am UTC

However, in the pilot episode, he does use a gun rigged in a trap as a distraction (but it doesn't shoot anyone), and used guns to shoot out tires, etc. Since he's supposedly ex-Special Forces, the "hates guns" thing seems really improbable.

I bought the S1 DVD set; good action and stories, and amusing to my nostalgia, but the science now makes me cringe a lot.
The theme music is just AWESOME, though, so I recorded that and use it as a ringtone.

TheEvilPotato

Postby TheEvilPotato » Wed Jul 02, 2008 5:23 am UTC

Could've sworn I also posted regarding MacGyver's refusal to use guns, but it seems to have disappeared. Oh well.

As far as I'm aware, MacGyver would also very rarely kill anyone and when he did it was generally because they were first threatening him with death...

EDIT: Oh, I see, there was a duplicate thread. How confusing...

John

Postby John » Wed Jul 02, 2008 5:27 am UTC

What MacGuyver couldn't do with anything the professor could do with bamboo and coconuts.

bandito

Postby bandito » Wed Jul 02, 2008 5:35 am UTC

my wikipedia edit which only lasted three minutes:
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?tit ... =223016099

ABCD

Postby ABCD » Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:03 am UTC

bandito wrote:my wikipedia edit which only lasted three minutes:
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?oldid=223016099

And the page is now (semi-)protected.

Trooper5445

Postby Trooper5445 » Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:09 am UTC

Awesome comic. The Alt text particularly nails it.

jmorgan3

Postby jmorgan3 » Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:21 am UTC

ABCD wrote:
bandito wrote:my wikipedia edit which only lasted three minutes:
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?oldid=223016099

And the page is now (semi-)protected.

When is wikipedia going to learn to just lock every article as soon as it is mentioned in xkcd?
This signature is Y2K compliant.
Last updated 6/29/108

Biosynth

Postby Biosynth » Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:23 am UTC

I once rigged a straw to shoot chop sticks with some rubber bands. I made my friend bleed from ten feet.
There's a signature here..

It's just hiding.

GENERATION 97: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and subtract 1 from the generation. Social experiment.

psavach

Postby psavach » Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:48 am UTC

He uses a gun as a wrench in another episode, it might be the episode where they discuss his dislike of guns.

GCM

Postby GCM » Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:55 am UTC

Megatriorchis wrote:That's a crazy reason to not like guns. Guns don't kill, kids with guns kill.

Guns don't kill people, people kill people. Guns protect people from people with smaller guns.

william wrote:
Lord Aurora wrote:

Incidentially, an accidential gunfire also killed Jack O'Neill's son.

Revolvers can do that. All that needs to be done is for the hammer to hit that spot, so an impact on the floor could very well provide enough force to do that.

In fact, you don't technically even need a trigger to fire one. Just pull back the hammer a bit and release it.
All warfare is based on heavily-armed robotic commandos.
~Sun Tzu

Notes: My last avatar was "Vote Robot Nixon", so I'm gonna keep a list here. :D

Day Tripper

Postby Day Tripper » Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:56 am UTC

theneutralnewt wrote:Ha, the list is especially funny in context.

As a MacGyver fan, I found this comic hilarious, but just about died at the list (and its context).

Another problem solved by MacGyver: Unruly hair of Indian people (and I know, it can get quite unruly).

Spoiler:
I compulsively edit posts.

creaothceann

Postby creaothceann » Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:03 am UTC

CrayolaTwo wrote:What is up with Richard Dean Anderson that makes people want him to have people he "loves" shot accidentally? First MacGuyver, then Jack O'Neill's son... I need to go watch some Stargate.

It wasn't Macgyver, it was Mr Emmerich and Mr Russell.

Also, paperclips ftw.
Last edited by creaothceann on Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:09 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Mr. Accident

Postby Mr. Accident » Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:05 am UTC

Lord Aurora wrote:If you're even passably familiar with guns, you'll know that, even at their best, they're unpredictable little buggers. It's entirely possible that a weapon would discharge upon hitting the ground---perhaps not a modern weapon, but an old-timey one (like one that would be referenced in MacGyver's childhood) wouldn't rule out the possibility.

It would have to be something like an old-fashioned Colt single action revolver, or maybe a poorly-made Eastern bloc semiauto from after WWII. No normal gun made in the United States in the last five decades is going to discharge on a drop. (Well, I guess a revolver with a featherweight single action trigger pull might, if MacGyver and Jesse had already cocked it before it dropped. I've fired a S&W .44 magnum that was like that.)

There's nothing at all "unpredictable" about a relatively modern gun in good working order. I know I could play kickball with my M1911 pistol all day, cocked and locked with a round in the chamber, and it would never go off. Not that I'd recommend it. ;)

Mr. Accident

Postby Mr. Accident » Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:11 am UTC

GCM wrote:Revolvers can do that. All that needs to be done is for the hammer to hit that spot, so an impact on the floor could very well provide enough force to do that.

In fact, you don't technically even need a trigger to fire one. Just pull back the hammer a bit and release it.

As I mentioned in my last post, very old revolvers can do this. Most newer revolvers, however, use transfer bars or similar safeties that are disengaged until the trigger is fully pulled. Thus, the hammer has no way of actually engaging the firing pin, and the round under the hammer cannot be fired without a trigger pull, even if the hammer is dropped. It also prevents an impact on the hammer from transferring motion to the firing pin.

pyroman

Postby pyroman » Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:15 am UTC

war3_master wrote:MacGyver would never use a gun, not after what happened to his childhood friend.

lies! lol he did once in the series pilot which was conveniently about a pilot. Which makes you wonder... was the episode called pilot because it was a pilot for the series or because ti was about a pilot...

on a side not Macgyver is my hero. because of him i never go anywhere without my pocket knife. On top of that if i have my geek bag (as its been dubbed by a bunch of my friends) with me i have :

1 roll of duct tape
1 roll electrical tape
1 multi meter
1 graphing calculator
1 bag of rubber bands (# 64)
1 mini Mag light modded to use and led
my basic electronics kit
my laptop and charger
1 pair diagonal cutters
1 pair need nose pliers
a few feet of string
a basic assortment of standard and fine screw drivers

people make fun of me for this until they need me to fix something for them (as i do quite often)

But i also wonder... What could macgyver have been able to do had he had one of the uber leathermans as see here http://www.leatherman.com/products/tool ... efault.asp
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin

ishikiri

Postby ishikiri » Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:26 am UTC

Looks like Randall's been reading the forums again:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6409&start=120

Just ctl+F Berengals post, about 2/3s down.
clintonius wrote:The "thwak thwak thwak" in this movie makes me think they cranked up a powerpoint slideshow of angry pictures set to the soundtrack of a furious masturbator.

Day Tripper

Postby Day Tripper » Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:31 am UTC

ishikiri wrote:Looks like Randall's been reading the forums again:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6409&start=120

Just ctl+F Berengals post, about 2/3s down.

At first I thought you were referring to fan death, and I was trying to think of the reasons why MacGyver fans would be dying off. Too much time in front of the computer editing Wiki entries, perhaps.
I compulsively edit posts.

JayDee

Postby JayDee » Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:36 am UTC

war3_master wrote:MacGyver would never use a gun, not after what happened to his childhood friend.
My first thought after seeing the comic was that someone would point this out in the thread. Hurrah for Internet Pedantry!
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:I believe that everything can and must be joked about.
Hawknc wrote:I like to think that he hasn't left, he's just finally completed his foe list.

madjo

Postby madjo » Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:52 am UTC

Does xkcd listen to LugRadio? Because they mention this wikipedia article in their latest episode.
:)

You are carrying:
- a slightly paranoid Android
- two left feet (not my own)
- a still unfed and very hungry hippo
- broadsword of +5 ridiculousness stained with the blood of the undead souls
- a stetson Resistol, cuz stetson Resistols are cool.

pyroman

Postby pyroman » Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:55 am UTC

i just found this and i figured people here would be rather interested... http://www.cbs.com/classics/macgyver/video/video.php

the best part is its completely legal too so you dont have to worry about the site being shut down in the middle of a season

enjoy = )
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”