0444: "Macgyver Gets Lazy"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

stormoftara

Re: "Macgyver Gets Lazy" Discussion

Postby stormoftara » Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:59 am UTC

Guns don't kill people...the bullet wounds from the bullets from the guns kill people.

And by the way, Wikipedia is the devil. I can not look up one thing on there without going to some complete off topic link. Just the other day I was looking up Ramen Noodles and ended up at South Park. EVVVVVVVVVVVVVIL.

Nomic

Postby Nomic » Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:38 am UTC

MacGyver owns! In our university he's apparently considered the patron saint of geology for some reason (probably because they had to resort to macgyverism to fix a bus tire in the middle of a desert during one excursion). The man can build a working aeroplane out of trashbags, bamboo sticks and a cement mixer! He should really do something about that hair, tho.

Nudgenudge

Postby Nudgenudge » Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:47 am UTC

Ok, I'm not adding my part in "he doesn't use guns!".
However... a drawing of MacGyver, and no xkcd-style mullet? Shame.

Minerva

Postby Minerva » Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:29 am UTC

psavach wrote:He uses a gun as a wrench in another episode, it might be the episode where they discuss his dislike of guns.

He does that at least twice. Once in the episode at the nuclear plant, IIRC, and in another episode; I think it's the one with the teenage arsonists.

Day Tripper wrote:
theneutralnewt wrote:
Another problem solved by MacGyver: Unruly hair of Indian people (and I know, it can get quite unruly).

Spoiler:

Holy shit, you just won the thread :lol:
...suffer from the computer disease that anybody who works with computers now knows about. It's a very serious disease and it interferes completely with the work. The trouble with computers is you play with them. They are so wonderful. - Richard Feynman

aerojad
Wall O' AWESOME

Postby aerojad » Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:30 am UTC

Day Tripper wrote:
theneutralnewt wrote:Ha, the list is especially funny in context.

As a MacGyver fan, I found this comic hilarious, but just about died at the list (and its context).

Another problem solved by MacGyver: Unruly hair of Indian people (and I know, it can get quite unruly).

Spoiler:

good lord that can't be real

Neck Bolts

Postby Neck Bolts » Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:36 am UTC

To all of those who are bitching about how Macgyver never uses guns. Let me remind you of the purpose of the comic: Macgyver gets lazy. Instead of the rube goldberg stuff he normally does he decides to finally do something efficient, using a gun. This is actually what is comedic about the comic. It wouldn't be funny if Macgyver wasn't someone who refused to use guns.

Thank you for your time.
He knew with all his heart that the human situation was a frightful botch, but it was such a logical, intelligently arrived-at botch the he couldn't see how history could possibly have led anywhere else.

--Kurt Vonnegut

Adventurer

Postby Adventurer » Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:00 pm UTC

stormoftara wrote:And by the way, Wikipedia is the devil. I can not look up one thing on there without going to some complete off topic link. Just the other day I was looking up Ramen Noodles and ended up at South Park. EVVVVVVVVVVVVVIL.

Indeed, that's The Problem with Wikipedia.

JorickHorn

Postby JorickHorn » Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:05 pm UTC

I was here to mention that MacGyver never uses guns (at least not to shoot people), but I see so many other people have already mentioned it. This is actually one of the things I like most about MacGyver. I hate guns, myself. So dishonourable. You don't have to look a man in the eye, anymore, and war becomes too unreal. Or I could have no clue what the hell I'm talking about.
That's my hat! She took my hat!

mbstrlbstr

Postby mbstrlbstr » Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:07 pm UTC

Wow, so craziest thing ever. I'm going through my feeds, while watching a Macgyver for the first time in probably 10 years or so. Imagine my surprise when I see this comic, it blew my mind.

saxmaniac1987
Can't spell sex

Postby saxmaniac1987 » Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:38 pm UTC

I enjoy how a couple times on Stargate there are Macgyver references...
"A witty saying proves nothing" - Voltaire

InvisblePinkUnicorn

Postby InvisblePinkUnicorn » Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:49 pm UTC

Richard Dean Anderson would have never endorsed using a gun. They got him to use one in the first episode but from then on he never used them for their intended purpose.

1+1+1 is 3

Postby 1+1+1 is 3 » Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:13 pm UTC

Neck Bolts wrote:To all of those who are bitching about how Macgyver never uses guns. Let me remind you of the purpose of the comic: Macgyver gets lazy. Instead of the rube goldberg stuff he normally does he decides to finally do something efficient, using a gun. This is actually what is comedic about the comic. It wouldn't be funny if Macgyver wasn't someone who refused to use guns.

Thank you for your time.

O RLY?

haha I couldn't help it

jeffk

Postby jeffk » Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:24 pm UTC

MacGyver, A. A duct tape approach to P=NP. Commun. ACM 51, 7 (July 2008), 115.

theferrymantune

Postby theferrymantune » Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:26 pm UTC

Agian, great strip. ^_^ Not much more I can say, I am to tired.
Did you mean to search for: spidurs

sithpirateknight

Postby sithpirateknight » Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:38 pm UTC

Day Tripper wrote:
theneutralnewt wrote:

Spoiler:

Holy shit, you just won the thread :lol:[/quote]

Woah! I wasn't aware the thread was up for winning ;).

For some reason this makes me think of Indy. Basically never uses his Webley except once in Raiders. But then again most things remind me of Indy.....
"Capital letters were always the best way of dealing with things you didn't have a good answer to." -Douglas Adams

Hexadecimator wrote:but in general, the curvier the symbols get, the more complicated and difficult life becomes.

Jebobek

Postby Jebobek » Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:43 pm UTC

I think my only complaint is that Randall did not draw on MacGyver's mullet. (that was a mullet right?)

tgape

Postby tgape » Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:04 pm UTC

Mr. Accident wrote:
Lord Aurora wrote:If you're even passably familiar with guns, you'll know that, even at their best, they're unpredictable little buggers. It's entirely possible that a weapon would discharge upon hitting the ground---perhaps not a modern weapon, but an old-timey one (like one that would be referenced in MacGyver's childhood) wouldn't rule out the possibility.

It would have to be something like an old-fashioned Colt single action revolver, or maybe a poorly-made Eastern bloc semiauto from after WWII. No normal gun made in the United States in the last five decades is going to discharge on a drop. (Well, I guess a revolver with a featherweight single action trigger pull might, if MacGyver and Jesse had already cocked it before it dropped. I've fired a S&W .44 magnum that was like that.)

There's nothing at all "unpredictable" about a relatively modern gun in good working order. I know I could play kickball with my M1911 pistol all day, cocked and locked with a round in the chamber, and it would never go off. Not that I'd recommend it. ;)

Go back and double-check the production date of MacGyver. Next, check MacGyver's age in said series. Now, do some math, and work out when MacGyver would have been a child. Finally, calculate the probability that someone would have a gun that was at least a decade or two old. TYVM. HAND.

luketheduke
Sour Kraut

Postby luketheduke » Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:05 pm UTC

Okay, now, spit it out, who did that?

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?tit ... .282x04.29
As long as I know how to love / I know I'll stay alive /
'cause I've got all my life to live / and I've got all my love to give / and I'll survive /
I will survive

I <3 Shadows

Postby I <3 Shadows » Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:13 pm UTC

Minerva wrote:
psavach wrote:He uses a gun as a wrench in another episode, it might be the episode where they discuss his dislike of guns.

Minerva wrote:He does that at least twice. Once in the episode at the nuclear plant, IIRC, and in another episode; I think it's the one with the teenage arsonist.

There was one episode where he dissasembled a shotgun so that he could use the trigger of the gun to clip wires, the lead shot and sodder and the gun powered as a means of helping him start a fire. Mind you, he did all this so that he could sodder the wire in place and then cut through them without triggering a mine. But I couldn't help but wonder why he didn't just stand back and throw the shotgun into the wires to just set off the mines. It would have saved him sometime. +10 creativity, -5 for lack of time saving practices. (Similar to the rating I'd get at work.)
“If you don't know where you are going, you will probably end up somewhere else.”
“In spite of the cost of living, it's still popular.”
Laurence J. Peter
Always be wary of any helpful item that weighs less than its operating manual. -Terry Pratchett

phaiakia

Postby phaiakia » Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:28 pm UTC

When I was a little kid (and maybe still today :wink:), I was obsessed with doing what I called the "MacGyver jump." He would jump off of a huge cliff in the opening credits, I would use my cousin's backyard trampoline instead.

I tried to YouTube this, but the jumping-off-the-cliff part wasn't in the opening credits like I remembered (he rappels down a cliff, but doesn't jump off one)... does anyone have a clue what I'm talking about?

Denizen

Postby Denizen » Wed Jul 02, 2008 3:14 pm UTC

I was somewhat dissapointed about the fact, that Magcyver is without hair, though it's entirely possible to speculate, that this is just because Magcyver is old now.

I was very much more dissapointed after reading something like 15 complaints of Magcyver not using a gun, and only few about the hair. People, do you not understand humor? Here, maybe this will help you.

Ok, I think this strip was the funniest in a while. Makes me want to carry on reading Xkcd, even if it hasn't been it's best lately. And I think this would be fun, even if Magcyver wouldn't make a point of not using a gun. The same way as it would be really funny, if Harry Potter would have used a gun to finish Voldemort.
"Minä osaan lentää, jos vain tahdon. Sinä voit odottaa alhaalla, ja mopata jäljet, mutta minä en tiedä olleeni väärässä. Kumpi meistä on onnellisempi, minä joka lensin, vai sinä jolle jäi jäljet siivottavaksi?"

Näkökulmista elämässä on kyse.

dharmamama

Postby dharmamama » Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:10 pm UTC

pyroman wrote:on a side not Macgyver is my hero.

Hey, not Macgyver is my hero, too! The anti-MacGyver. Find the laziest, least involved way to do anything - just get someone else to handle it for 'em. Or something like that.

Torn Apart By Dingos

Postby Torn Apart By Dingos » Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:45 pm UTC

Curiously, according to the Wikipedia article, MacGyver doesn't solve a problem in every episode. He doesn't solve a problem in:
1 episode in season 1;
1 episode in season 2;
2 episodes in season 3;
8 episodes in season 4;
11 episodes in season 5.

He did indeed get lazy in his later years! It could be that Wikipedia's list is just incomplete, but how come there's no entry for episode 1x02? He really had no problem to solve there? I thought that was all he did. Anyone who's seen 1x02 who can confirm/deny that there was no problem solving?

Frello

Postby Frello » Wed Jul 02, 2008 5:20 pm UTC

bandito wrote:my wikipedia edit which only lasted three minutes:
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?tit ... =223016099

Was it "like three minutes" or actually "three minutes, rounded to the nearest whole"? 'Cause I read your addition, if it was the xkcd-one, when I read the article.

Pisthetairos

Postby Pisthetairos » Wed Jul 02, 2008 5:31 pm UTC

Torn Apart By Dingos wrote:Curiously, according to the Wikipedia article, MacGyver doesn't solve a problem in every episode. He doesn't solve a problem in:
1 episode in season 1;
1 episode in season 2;
2 episodes in season 3;
8 episodes in season 4;
11 episodes in season 5.

He did indeed get lazy in his later years! ...

He actually kinda changes job in the latter seasons. It was suggested that, if the show went on for more seasons, all this problem-solving scenes would be removed, as they were only kept in for so long to please the old-time fans.

Now, here's a problem for MacGyver to solve: How to please a girlfriend who's into light bondage with a modern tent, a playstation controller, Virginia Creeper vines and Poison Ivy?

sithpirateknight

Postby sithpirateknight » Wed Jul 02, 2008 5:44 pm UTC

Pisthetairos wrote:
Torn Apart By Dingos wrote:Curiously, according to the Wikipedia article, MacGyver doesn't solve a problem in every episode. He doesn't solve a problem in:
1 episode in season 1;
1 episode in season 2;
2 episodes in season 3;
8 episodes in season 4;
11 episodes in season 5.

He did indeed get lazy in his later years! ...

He actually kinda changes job in the latter seasons. It was suggested that, if the show went on for more seasons, all this problem-solving scenes would be removed, as they were only kept in for so long to please the old-time fans.

Now, here's a problem for MacGyver to solve: How to please a girlfriend who's into light bondage with a modern tent, a playstation controller, Virginia Creeper vines and Poison Ivy?

or just how to combat a serious bout of poison ivy with only a tent, a knife, sleeping bags, and a girlfriend into light bondage....
"Capital letters were always the best way of dealing with things you didn't have a good answer to." -Douglas Adams

Hexadecimator wrote:but in general, the curvier the symbols get, the more complicated and difficult life becomes.

stormoftara

Postby stormoftara » Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:51 pm UTC

Adventurer wrote:
stormoftara wrote:And by the way, Wikipedia is the devil. I can not look up one thing on there without going to some complete off topic link. Just the other day I was looking up Ramen Noodles and ended up at South Park. EVVVVVVVVVVVVVIL.

Indeed, that's The Problem with Wikipedia.

RANDALL GET OUT OF MY MIND

william
Not a Raptor. Honest.

Postby william » Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:00 pm UTC

Denizen wrote:I was somewhat dissapointed about the fact, that Magcyver is without hair, though it's entirely possible to speculate, that this is just because Magcyver is old now.

Richard Dean Anderson still has hair.
SecondTalon wrote:A pile of shit can call itself a delicious pie, but that doesn't make it true.

Mr. Accident

Postby Mr. Accident » Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:08 am UTC

tgape wrote:Go back and double-check the production date of MacGyver. Next, check MacGyver's age in said series. Now, do some math, and work out when MacGyver would have been a child. Finally, calculate the probability that someone would have a gun that was at least a decade or two old. TYVM. HAND.

No need to do that. I went back and watched the episode in question, and did a little research; the gun looks almost certainly to be a Smith & Wesson Model 10, chambered for .38 special. The Model 10 is a classic military and police duty sidearm, first produced in 1899, and still manufactured today. The timeframe of the show and the visible presence of a lanyard ring at the bottom of the butt suggest that it is probably a Victory Model, manufactured during World War II.

As far as drop safety goes, Smith & Wesson centerfire revolvers have employed hammer blocks since 1896. A hammer block is a type of safety used on revolvers with hammer-mounted firing pins; it is a component that moves into place as the hammer drops, and physically obstructs it from making contact with the primer of the chambered cartridge. The hammer block remains out of the way when the trigger is pulled. However, the hammer block on Model 10 revolvers up to the Victory wasn't perfect. During WWII, a Navy sailor dropped his Model 10 on its hammer causing it to discharge, killing him. The incident led to improvements in the Model 10's hammer block as of 1944, and many existing Victory Models were refitted.

Recalling the flashback scene in question, the gun was indeed cocked before young MacGyver knocked it out of Neil's hand; it landed squarely on the back corner of the butt and discharged. Even if the gun was indeed a non-refitted Victory model, this is highly improbable, since there was no direct impact on the hammer, and the butt of the gun struck soft dirt instead of a hard surface that might conceivably produce a sufficiently sharp shock to produce a sear failure. I guess this could be reasonably explained by supposing that the gun had been tinkered with or was in a state of disrepair.

Ultimate verdict: highly unlikely, but not outside the realm of possibility. Certainly not the most egregious of television's abuses of reality when it comes to guns. Certainly not as laughably implausible as Spider and his underling repeatedly firing a 12-gauge shotgun indoors and still being able to hear each other afterward. :shock:

(Incidentally, the scene immediately following the part of the flashback where Jesse is shot, with Danny falling down the stairs with a gun in hand and shooting himself in the stomach in the process, is much more plausible, since the poor putz had his finger in the trigger guard the whole time. An object lesson that some elementary training in firearms safety goes a long way.)

Forrest

Postby Forrest » Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:18 am UTC

What is funny about this comic's alt text is that I've actually been to the "List of problems solved by MacGyver" page on Wikipedia. Similarly, I had been to the "Fatal hilarity" page, mentioned in the comic "The Problem with Wikipedia", before I even read that comic. I spend way too much time on Wikipedia.

IW4

Postby IW4 » Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:39 am UTC

dharmamama wrote:
pyroman wrote:on a side not Macgyver is my hero.

Hey, not Macgyver is my hero, too! The anti-MacGyver.
You mean like MacGruber?

[Edited because I found all the videos.]
Last edited by IW4 on Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:35 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Amarantha

Postby Amarantha » Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:28 am UTC

Denizen wrote:The same way as it would be really funny, if Harry Potter would have used a gun to finish Voldemort.

Have you seen Wizards?
omgryebread wrote:...if I'm watching a fantasy, I want my princess to stab some motherfuckers, claim the crown herself, then invade the prince's kingdom and sleep with his sister.

q00u

Postby q00u » Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:18 am UTC

Several people have mentioned Mac's dislike for guns, but no one has posted the real-life reason?

From MacGyverOnline:
Why does MacGyver hate guns?
When he was a kid, he and his friends where playing with his fathers handgun, when one of his friends took aim at a bird, MacGyver knocked the gun away to save the bird, but as the gun hit the ground it discharged and shot Jesse in the chest. He died from the wounds several minutes later to spite MacGyver trying to save him.

The full story is explained in detail in the episode “Blood Brothers”

The idea for this story actually takes from a real life childhood experience where Richard Dean Anderson and friends where playing with a gun and his friend shot and killed a bird. The idea that a gun can allow a person to so casually take another life (animal or human) immediately impacted him and soured him towards guns, and so he has worked his dislike of guns into the MacGyver character.
(My other source for this claims that it was RDA himself who shot the bird. I don't know which to believe!)

Rhombix

Postby Rhombix » Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:27 am UTC

I was actually reading the "List of problems solved by MacGyver" article just a couple of days ago. It appears on Wikipedia:Unusual articles which, in turn, is completely awesome.

mrgoldenbrown

Postby mrgoldenbrown » Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:45 am UTC

Between the wordy description of firing a gun and the fact that RDA = both Angus *and* Jack, I can't help but think of the episode of Stargate where the super advanced braniac aliens, with tech like hyperspace, force fields, and transporters explain that they are so smart they couldn't even *think* of creating guns, which turn out to be the only effective weapon against one of their enemies...

The Asgard could never invent a weapon that propels small weights of iron and carbon alloys by igniting a powder of Potassium nitrate, charcoal, and sulfur.

cymon

Postby cymon » Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:13 am UTC

stormoftara wrote:Guns don't kill people...the bullet wounds from the bullets from the guns kill people.

And by the way, Wikipedia is the devil. I can not look up one thing on there without going to some complete off topic link. Just the other day I was looking up Ramen Noodles and ended up at South Park. EVVVVVVVVVVVVVIL.

I have looked up 'patch panel' and have ended up at 'cystic fibrosis'.

BlueNight

Postby BlueNight » Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:33 am UTC

hammer:nail::gun:bullet. A gun is a tool designed for propelling a metal slug (or various substitutes) in a specific direction.

Historically, people have generally used loaded guns for two purposes:

1) to use the slug to put a hole in a hole-sensitive structure, such as a person, a helicopter, or a clay discus.

2) to create a threat of putting a hole in a hole-sensitive structure which is valued by someone who would recognize such a threat.

Other uses (noise, flash, distraction) are possible, but rarer.

Incidentally, a gun filled with blanks can be a decent melee weapon. Think of a ball of expanding gases...
---------
BlueNight

TheAbstractor

Postby TheAbstractor » Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:39 am UTC

FYI: Burn Notice is the new MacGyver. And Michael Westen isn't afraid to use a gun AND duct tape to get the job done.

/with homemade C4 explosives when needed.

saxmaniac1987
Can't spell sex

Postby saxmaniac1987 » Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:50 am UTC

Burn Notice is pretty awesome. I've only seen a few episodes, but I enjoyed them greatly.
"A witty saying proves nothing" - Voltaire

Spadly

Postby Spadly » Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:48 pm UTC

I lol'd like an idiot.
"The problem with the future is that it keeps becoming the present."

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”