0225: "Open Source"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Traisenau

Postby Traisenau » Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:42 am UTC

... you do know that the show was canceled iw... right?

oh, and I would much prefer a shotgun to sleep with, rather than a katana, cause it's one of the best home-defense weapon, and it would allow me to knock back any zombie/raptors that invade so I can get to my better weapons for killing said zombies/raptors.
<Will> Drew is the only woman for me

aldimond
Otter-duck

Postby aldimond » Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:59 am UTC

Johnthemage wrote:... you do know that the show was canceled iw... right?

He was talking about The webcomic, Everybody Loves Eric Raymond.

It is oft-hilarious, but not oft-updated.
One of these days my desk is going to collapse in the middle and all its weight will come down on my knee and tear my new fake ACL. It could be tomorrow. This is my concern.

Purple

Postby Purple » Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:55 am UTC

oh, and I would much prefer a shotgun to sleep with, rather than a katana, cause it's one of the best home-defense weapon, and it would allow me to knock back any zombie/raptors that invade so I can get to my better weapons for killing said zombies/raptors.

The only defense against velociraptors are your own velociraptors. But then you run the risk of ending up like Indira Ghandi.

william
Not a Raptor. Honest.

Postby william » Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:45 am UTC

Purple wrote:

The only defense against velociraptors are your own velociraptors. But then you run the risk of ending up like Indira Ghandi.

Indira Gandhi wasn't killed by velociraptors...
SecondTalon wrote:A pile of shit can call itself a delicious pie, but that doesn't make it true.

German Sausage
3 of 5

Postby German Sausage » Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:13 pm UTC

yeah, and i wasn't the third shooter on the grassy knoll.
@lani: i dont know much about the computer side of things, i.e. who the hell the guy in the bed is, what GNU is, but it combined a swordfight with what i recognise to be a pun, so it wins all.
<bakemaster> Only German Sausage can prevent forest fires
<felstaff> Hype is like a giant disappointment ray aimed squarely at the finished article.
<watson> Treat me like a criminal, Holmes!
TMT4L

Lenale

Postby Lenale » Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:54 pm UTC

I don't have sharp things in my bed. I've got a teddy bear named Kosmos who growls at people convincingly and then they run away.

Or I scare them with my pink-and-purple Atari night shirt.
Physics is like sex. It might give some practical results, but that's not why we do it.
--Richard Feynmann

frezik

Postby frezik » Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:54 pm UTC

william wrote:
Purple wrote:

Indira Gandhi wasn't killed by velociraptors...

That's what They want you to think.

Tractor

Postby Tractor » Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:59 pm UTC

davantalus wrote: I sleep with a katana, too.

That's what she said.
9 x 6 = 42

Note: Randall kicks ass.

Drostie

Postby Drostie » Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:53 pm UTC

Stallman has windows?! For shame!

william
Not a Raptor. Honest.

Postby william » Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:31 pm UTC

Drostie wrote:Stallman has windows?! For shame!
They're X Windows, not Microsoft Windows
SecondTalon wrote:A pile of shit can call itself a delicious pie, but that doesn't make it true.

Teaspoon

Postby Teaspoon » Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:41 am UTC

Maybe Randy could go and edit the comic so that there's a big X on the window?

Tangent

Tractor, are you aware that your tag is correct in base-13?

andreffranca

Postby andreffranca » Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:49 pm UTC

Teaspoon wrote:Maybe Randy could go and edit the comic so that there's a big X on the window?

Tangent

Tractor, are you aware that your tag is correct in base-13?

As Douglas Adam would say: "No one writes jokes on base 13"

Bulletmagnet

Postby Bulletmagnet » Sun Feb 25, 2007 9:57 pm UTC

FiddleMath wrote:On second thought, let's not do that to Eric.

Dammit, I registered to post exactly that ! :evil:

LE4dGOLEM
is unique......wait, no!!!!

Postby LE4dGOLEM » Tue Feb 27, 2007 5:43 pm UTC

Bulletmagnet wrote:

Dammit, I registered to post exactly that ! :evil:

Go to the introductions thread then.
Image Une See Fights - crayon super-ish hero webcomic!
doogly wrote:It would just be much better if it were not shitty.

william
Not a Raptor. Honest.

Postby william » Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:28 pm UTC

"Since it doesn't take most people very long to notice that I am not in fact crazy,"
I think you inserted a 'not' in there by accident.

mbrubeck

Postby mbrubeck » Fri Apr 13, 2007 7:56 pm UTC

From http://advogato.org/person/fzort/diary.html?start=62:
After much laughing at this xkcd comic, a friend and I had the silly idea of sending rms a katana (via Amazon, to the FSF office address). Amazingly, not only did rms let us know it was received, but someone at FSF even posted pictures!

Shro
science genius girl

Postby Shro » Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:38 pm UTC

mbrubeck wrote:From http://advogato.org/person/fzort/diary.html?start=62:
After much laughing at this xkcd comic, a friend and I had the silly idea of sending rms a katana (via Amazon, to the FSF office address). Amazingly, not only did rms let us know it was received, but someone at FSF even posted pictures!

HOLY HELL. IT'S FUCKING RICHARD STALLMAN WITH A FUCKING KATANA.

XKCD is real life.
argyl3: My idea of being a rebel is splitting infinitives.
Alisto: Rebel without a clause?

I made this thing:
www.justthetipcalculator.com

bbctol
Super Deluxe Forum Title of DESTINYâ„¢

Postby bbctol » Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:42 pm UTC

THAT
IS
AWESOME.
That's pretty damn cool. For a GNU dawn!

JoshuaZ

Re: "Open Source" discussion

Postby JoshuaZ » Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:31 am UTC

I didn't know whether to put this in the article's section or here: This is a post about an article that refers to this xkcd comic. Anyways, the article is http://www.yaledailynews.com/articles/view/21889 from the Yale Daily News and is about a talk given by Richard Stallman. The final paragraph of the article reads "Before the debate began, four student pranksters dressed in ninja garb jumped in front of Stallman as he prepared to take the stage. After posing for pictures with him, they ran out of the room amid audience laughter. The prank was inspired by an XKCD.com comic depicting a failed assassination attempt on Stallman by four masked men from Microsoft." I will leave as an exercise to see how many statements are wrong in that paragraph.

nahtanoj999

Postby nahtanoj999 » Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:45 am UTC

That entire article is full of wrongness, starting with the title. Stallman was there to talk about DRM, and only mentioned free software to the limited extent that other people brought it up. And the statement that students thought that Stallman was being extreme is also untrue. This is one of the few subjects he's reasonable on. The newsguy just got that idea from only talking to the chairman of the conservative party. Stallman didn't say to repeal the entire DMCA as the article says, just the "circumvention device" part. And David Manners-Weber is misidentified as David Weber, among more mistakes in the article. Typical YDN not caring about the YPU and giving the article to freshmen.

Despite the bad article, Stallman gave a good speech, although I may be biased because he was speaking on one of the few issues I agree with him in.
The whole thing was made extra-worthwhile with me getting in my best one-liner of the day. Stallman was handing out GPLv3 stickers, and I asked him if he had any GPLv2 stickers left. Unfortunately, no such stickers were ever made.

Geekthras
3) What if it's delicious?

Postby Geekthras » Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:52 am UTC

Let's not forget that in the comic, they were pranking him, not actually trying to kill him.
Wait. With a SPOON?!

BiggAl

Postby BiggAl » Fri Oct 19, 2007 2:18 pm UTC

I know guys at uni who would defend linux to the death.

Someone I kneew asked a '1337' linux guy how much hard disk space he should partition for linux on a 100 Gig Drive if he wanted to use it for development. The linux guy responded with 100 Gig, and insisted that any less would be stupid, even after the other guy said he wanted to play windows games...

I get the feeling that he sleeps with a broadsword he cannot lift under his bed.

JoshuaZ

Postby JoshuaZ » Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:43 pm UTC

nahtanoj999 wrote:That entire article is full of wrongness, starting with the title. Stallman was there to talk about DRM, and only mentioned free software to the limited extent that other people brought it up. And the statement that students thought that Stallman was being extreme is also untrue. This is one of the few subjects he's reasonable on. The newsguy just got that idea from only talking to the chairman of the conservative party. Stallman didn't say to repeal the entire DMCA as the article says, just the "circumvention device" part. And David Manners-Weber is misidentified as David Weber, among more mistakes in the article. Typical YDN not caring about the YPU and giving the article to freshmen.

I didn't go to the debate, so my only triggers were that the original XKCD comic was a prank, and it involved 2, not 4 ninjas. Also, from my experience with the YDN it isn't just the YPU they don't care about. Their general reporting is often just poor. And the really sad thing is that at this point they are the best newspaper in New Haven.

sab39

Re:

Postby sab39 » Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:48 pm UTC

Oh please. Those are totally photoshopped. You can see the shadows are all wrong on the sword and there are JPEG artefacts on rms's hair.

squelchtoad

Postby squelchtoad » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:28 pm UTC

--------
Last edited by squelchtoad on Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:56 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

muteKi
Angry is too weak a term. Try "Fluffy".

Postby muteKi » Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:31 pm UTC

JoshuaZ wrote:I didn't go to the debate, so my only triggers were that the original XKCD comic was a prank, and it involved 2, not 4 ninjas. Also, from my experience with the YDN it isn't just the YPU they don't care about. Their general reporting is often just poor. And the really sad thing is that at this point they are the best newspaper in New Haven.

Yeah, they weren't armed and the alt-text implied that they weren't actually Microsoft employees.

yelly

Postby yelly » Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:28 pm UTC

"So there are 3 guards, one always tells the truth, one always lies and the third answers randomly"
"But I only want to know the fucking time!"

Ocker3

Postby Ocker3 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:39 pm UTC

It looks like there was a Craigslist Job advert for a movie based on Stallman's life http://www.timetraveller.org/hhof/craigslist_job (archived there)

I didn't know he was good with Excel?
"why change something that's broken in a way that you know it's broken" - Brett McGrath

Jourdy289

Postby Jourdy289 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:48 pm UTC

JoshuaZ wrote:
nahtanoj999 wrote:That entire article is full of wrongness, starting with the title. Stallman was there to talk about DRM, and only mentioned free software to the limited extent that other people brought it up. And the statement that students thought that Stallman was being extreme is also untrue. This is one of the few subjects he's reasonable on. The newsguy just got that idea from only talking to the chairman of the conservative party. Stallman didn't say to repeal the entire DMCA as the article says, just the "circumvention device" part. And David Manners-Weber is misidentified as David Weber, among more mistakes in the article. Typical YDN not caring about the YPU and giving the article to freshmen.

I didn't go to the debate, so my only triggers were that the original XKCD comic was a prank, and it involved 2, not 4 ninjas. Also, from my experience with the YDN it isn't just the YPU they don't care about. Their general reporting is often just poor. And the really sad thing is that at this point they are the best newspaper in New Haven.

New Haven? I live in CT!

This is a great necropost, btw, I absolutely loved this comic!
LOL, I see myself before going to bed:
"Hey dad, can I borrow the katana?"
"Why you ask? Because a GNU dawn is about to arise, and I must be prepared for battle! Did you remember to forget to feed the piranhas in the pond? OK, just checking, Dad.
Cut your clothes to fit your body, and not the other way around!
http://thestuffiread.blogspot.com -Book Blog http://www.travian.co.uk/?uc=uk5_48953 -Want to play Travian? Sign up here!

Ammako

Re: 0225: "Open Source"

Postby Ammako » Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:20 am UTC

This is several years later, once again, but this comic is even funnier now, in hindsight.

Spoiler:
(Microsoft buying Github, for those not aware.)

pogrmman

Postby pogrmman » Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:19 pm UTC

Ammako wrote:This is several years later, once again, but this comic is even funnier now, in hindsight.

Spoiler:
(Microsoft buying Github, for those not aware.)

Really?! I hope they don’t screw it up.

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:31 pm UTC

pogrmman wrote:Really?! I hope they don’t screw it up.

If they do, they can always Revert, right?

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”