0452: "Upcoming Hurricanes"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

layzee

Re: 'Upcoming Hurricanes' discussion

Postby layzee » Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:52 pm UTC

Well, using significant guesstimation the 90W longitude the wave crosses at about -1, making it a -sin(x) where using further guesstimation the frequency of the wave is ~36. Using an earlier estimation for above equator shift of +7 this would make it Hurricane (-sin(36) +7).

scarletmanuka

Postby scarletmanuka » Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:36 am UTC

layzee wrote:Well, using significant guesstimation the 90W longitude the wave crosses at about -1, making it a -sin(x) where using further guesstimation the frequency of the wave is ~36. Using an earlier estimation for above equator shift of +7 this would make it Hurricane (-sin(36) +7).

You fail at trigonometry. Note that the graph of [imath]y = -\sin(36) +7[/imath] looks like this (axes not shown):

By frequency, do you mean period (in degrees)? If so then you want [imath]y = k\sin (\pi x / 18 + a) + 7[/imath] where [imath]k[/imath] is half the difference in degrees between the y-coordinate of the peaks and troughs, and [imath]a[/imath] can be determined after this by substituting y=-1, x=90 as per your suggestion. (Note: I am assuming y and x are in degrees, but sin takes its argument in radians. If you want sin to take its argument in degrees, then use [imath]y = k\sin (10x + a) + 7[/imath], where [imath]k[/imath] is the same as before but [imath]a[/imath] will be different. Also, you're a nancy-boy. :P)

pi2infinity

Postby pi2infinity » Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:18 am UTC

Dr. Jeff Masters hosts a tropical weather blog (which he calls his WunderBlog) at http://www.wunderground.com/tropical/ . It's an excellent blog regarding meteorology and associated mathematics (though you may not be as interested if you don't live in a hurricane-prone area).

This comic was referenced on this widely-viewed blog here:
http://www.wunderground.com/blog/JeffMa ... amp=200807
(It's the blog on 29 July-- that is, the second one from the top)
My normal approach is useless here.

El Cool

Postby El Cool » Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:54 pm UTC

very nice. i laughed at all of them.

How long did you stare at the Florida peninsula to come up with the Freud hurricane? :P

Loved those Tron hurricanes. They kinda stick to reality: lately a lot of hurricanes have come close, but not to, Puerto Rico. They just throw water at us, and not come close enough to get a day off.
- There are 10 types of people in this world: those that understand binary and those that don't -

layzee

Postby layzee » Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:49 am UTC

ouch, come back in a few days to see i get bashed by an aussie.
and one that proceeds to go into the most convoluted explanation of why i am incorrect...
you could have just pointed out i forgot to type in x.
-sin(36x)+7
:D cheers.

scarletmanuka wrote:
layzee wrote:Well, using significant guesstimation the 90W longitude the wave crosses at about -1, making it a -sin(x) where using further guesstimation the frequency of the wave is ~36. Using an earlier estimation for above equator shift of +7 this would make it Hurricane (-sin(36) +7).

You fail at trigonometry. Note that the graph of [imath]y = -\sin(36) +7[/imath] looks like this (axes not shown):

By frequency, do you mean period (in degrees)? If so then you want [imath]y = k\sin (\pi x / 18 + a) + 7[/imath] where [imath]k[/imath] is half the difference in degrees between the y-coordinate of the peaks and troughs, and [imath]a[/imath] can be determined after this by substituting y=-1, x=90 as per your suggestion. (Note: I am assuming y and x are in degrees, but sin takes its argument in radians. If you want sin to take its argument in degrees, then use [imath]y = k\sin (10x + a) + 7[/imath], where [imath]k[/imath] is the same as before but [imath]a[/imath] will be different. Also, you're a nancy-boy. :P)

d3c31t

Postby d3c31t » Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:13 am UTC

such a simple mistake such a beautifully written and fairly lengthy bashing... i love the xkcd forums for this reason...
- All war is deception - Sun Tzu

scarletmanuka

Postby scarletmanuka » Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:15 am UTC

I suppose I should have signed it "Summer Glau" in the interests of xckd meme propagation...

jHo

Postby jHo » Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:16 pm UTC

Has anyone else noticed that Hurricane Fay is a lot like Hurricane Screw-It-Let's-Just-Trash-Florida-Again?

Wiglaf

Postby Wiglaf » Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:01 am UTC

Yep, I've had exactly the same thought. Three, maybe four landfalls on Florida, managing to hit the keys, come up the peninsula and THEN turn and hit the panhandle? What the hell? Good thing its not that strong.

Thalagyrt

Postby Thalagyrt » Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:18 pm UTC

jHo wrote:Has anyone else noticed that Hurricane Fay is a lot like Hurricane Screw-It-Let's-Just-Trash-Florida-Again?

Yup, that was my first thought when I saw that it was going across Florida eastbound followed by crossing again westbound.

Panama1984

Postby Panama1984 » Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:21 pm UTC

Not only does fay look a lot like screw-it-let's-just-trash-Florida-again, but Bertha looks a lot like where-the-hell-is-Bermuda

also, I live in Orlando, and there's a foot and a half deep pool in my apartment's parking lot

aerojad
Wall O' AWESOME

Postby aerojad » Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:04 am UTC

I hear some people are closing in on three feet of rain. That has to be ...different.

scarletmanuka

Postby scarletmanuka » Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:23 am UTC

Panama1984 wrote:Not only does fay look a lot like screw-it-let's-just-trash-Florida-again, but Bertha looks a lot like where-the-hell-is-Bermuda

He did tell you these were upcoming hurricanes; what more do you want?

Wiglaf

Postby Wiglaf » Sat Aug 23, 2008 2:01 am UTC

Apparently even nature imitates XKCD.

Panama1984

Postby Panama1984 » Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:40 am UTC

aerojad wrote:I hear some people are closing in on three feet of rain. That has to be ...different.

go to orlandosentinel.com

it seriously looks like Katrina in some places

TheHand

Postby TheHand » Sat Aug 23, 2008 5:19 am UTC

Indeed, nature does intimidate.

She is a harsh mistress.

jacjac10

Postby jacjac10 » Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:52 pm UTC

Is it sad that xkcd's hurricane projection was more accurate for this year than most, if not all, of the meterologists' looking at Florida in recent months?

Splooge169

Postby Splooge169 » Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:19 am UTC

Tropical Storm Fay has now made four landfalls in Florida. The comic clearly shows four landfalls for Hurricane Screw-it-Let's-Just-Trash-Florida-Again. Coincidence?

ACU-LP

Postby ACU-LP » Sun Aug 24, 2008 5:59 am UTC

"Screw it lets just trash florida again"
Bam.

Yay for living in Sydney, where we dont get hurricanes, tornados, typhoons or whatever you want to call them wherever you are.
We did get snow on the north shore though....?!
I Am Raven wrote:Math is like a penis: it can be very satisfactory, but also a pain in the ass.
Red vs Blue wrote:Wash: That was the worst throw ever. Of all time.
Caboose: Not my fault. Someone put a wall in my way.

Kain

Postby Kain » Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:35 am UTC

Panama1984 wrote:
aerojad wrote:I hear some people are closing in on three feet of rain. That has to be ...different.

go to orlandosentinel.com

it seriously looks like Katrina in some places

Actually, Orlando didn't get three feet of rain. That would have been Melbourne Fl, where, as luck would have it, I attend the only educational institution in the county that decided, "hey, this is a three block college campus, our students dont actually have to drive in this weather, so lets keep the school open until three hours before the eye reaches us." The campus ended up looking like a river...

Anyways, on the topic of the Upcoming Huricanes comic, I have this feeling that Gustav is going to do a 'Hurricane Freud' impression... don't ask me why...
Look, you know it's serious when a bunch of people in full armor and gear come charging in to fight a pond of chickens - Steax

fishamaphone

Postby fishamaphone » Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:37 am UTC

This may be the only post I ever make on this forum, but I'm a big fan of the comic, and a Floridian. Yes, Fay made me think of "screw-it-let's-just-trash-Florida-again," but there's another subtle hint that the real world seems to be paying attention to XKCD.

It isn't official yet, but check out the projections for TS Hanna.

http://www.wunderground.com/tropical/tr ... _5day.html

Notice how it's predicted to jog the slightest bit north at the tail end of the five-day chart just when it hits the latitude where it formed?

I haven't done any heavy math since high school, but that looks like it's gotta be some form of a cosine function... I know I'll be watching to see how closely it matches that track.

GCM

Postby GCM » Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:49 am UTC

Well, if something does hit Florida, we know there's possibly going to be a few lawsuits involving "Your comic depicted it, so it became true! Where's my 3.9 mil?"

In other news, Gustav looks to be calming down. Hope it keeps that way.
All warfare is based on heavily-armed robotic commandos.
~Sun Tzu

Notes: My last avatar was "Vote Robot Nixon", so I'm gonna keep a list here. :D

Armadillo Al

Postby Armadillo Al » Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:50 am UTC

While we're discussing actual hurricanes, Illinois just got 'hit' by what was once Gustav today.

I think we got two inches of rain, a very gloomy day, and zero actual damage.

Yeah, we do have it too easy.
Compiling.. wrote:xkcd... where EVERYONE loves EVERYONE...

william
Not a Raptor. Honest.

Postby william » Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:03 pm UTC

shadowboy wrote:This is one of the funniest ones in a while.

As a resident of Florida, I found the Florida one (and by extension, the Illinois one) hilarious.

You know your Florida license plates? Those oranges already look like balls.
SecondTalon wrote:A pile of shit can call itself a delicious pie, but that doesn't make it true.

GloriousPeanut

Postby GloriousPeanut » Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:30 am UTC

"Hurricane Illinois-Has-It-Too-Easy."

I HOPE YOU ARE HAPPY.

Kain

Postby Kain » Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:58 am UTC

GloriousPeanut wrote:"Hurricane Illinois-Has-It-Too-Easy."

I HOPE YOU ARE HAPPY.

Bah, a tropical depression? I've gone camping in worse.
Look, you know it's serious when a bunch of people in full armor and gear come charging in to fight a pond of chickens - Steax

kriel

Postby kriel » Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:14 am UTC

Kain wrote:
GloriousPeanut wrote:"Hurricane Illinois-Has-It-Too-Easy."I HOPE YOU ARE HAPPY.

Yes, but it's only friday, and It's already hit my internet for most of today.

<irony>
My friend said "So smile. The sun'll come out tomorrow :) :) :)" today in a text message. I should go slap him.
</irony>

TexasBelle210

Postby TexasBelle210 » Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:31 am UTC

lol i just want it noted, that some of us got mandatorily evacuated from the texas coast for hurricane ike.... and are now stuck in dallas for god knows how long until we are allowed back...

*realizes that she sounds bitter and goes back to watching animal planet at her aunt's house in dallas*

i think that we should all hope for a strong category 4 hurricane (that goes through some other state than texas or louisiana, we've had enough this year)! that way, when it gets to illinois, it would still be a hurricane! :D
Jayne: What we need is a diversion.....I say, Zoe gets nekkid.
Wash: No.
Jayne: I could get naked.
Everyone: No!

eigensheep

Re: 0452: "Upcoming Hurricanes"

Postby eigensheep » Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:22 am UTC

It looks like Randall is going to get his wish in the alt text thanks to Hurricane Irene. CNN was showing simulations of Manhattan being flooded today.

TheRedSeven

Postby TheRedSeven » Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:23 pm UTC

kriel wrote:
Kain wrote:
GloriousPeanut wrote:"Hurricane Illinois-Has-It-Too-Easy."I HOPE YOU ARE HAPPY.

Yes, but it's only friday, and It's already hit my internet for most of today.

<irony>
My friend said "So smile. The sun'll come out tomorrow :) :) :)" today in a text message. I should go slap him.
</irony>

I actually *was* camping during the remnants of this. A group of friends always visited the Michigan (Warren) Dunes each fall as kind of a end-of-summer getaway. The forecast was 20% for light rain/drizzle, which was pretty typical of our experience. Normally it would rain, but then dry out and we'd have a great weekend. So we didn't think anything of the forecast having a possibility of rain.

It ended up raining over 6 inches over the first night. Dried up enough for us to swim in Lake Michigan for a couple hours, cook out, and climb the dunes. Then it proceeded to rain another 3 inches over the second night. Oh, and we do the "rustic" camp there--no running water/electricity, etc. Worst camping experience of my life.

(Also, re: the post above mine--Randall is obviously prescient. Amazing that they still don't have emergency scenarios for that, though they did a decent job evacuating for Irene.)

Splarka

Postby Splarka » Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:51 pm UTC

eigensheep wrote:It looks like Randall is going to get his wish in the alt text thanks to Hurricane Irene. CNN was showing simulations of Manhattan being flooded today.

Looks like he really got his wish with Sandy.
HTTP/1.1 - 203

jello34543

Postby jello34543 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:44 pm UTC

Not the same track as Hurricane Screw-it-let's-just-trash-Florida-again, but Irma is looking to cross Florida the long way. And still be hurricane strength when it reaches Gainesville (i.e, ~300 miles from where it will make landfall). Yeah, Florida gets hit all the time, but not usually quite so thoroughly by a single storm.

heuristically_alone

Postby heuristically_alone » Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:52 pm UTC

Irma followed by jose. Almost looks beautiful.

170908122126-satellite-hurricanes-0908-745am-et-screengrab-large-169.jpg
Bow gifted by adnapemit.

Beatrice wrote:The world is quiet here.

Tillian wrote:sig'd

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”