0452: "Upcoming Hurricanes"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

space_raptor

Re: 'Upcoming Hurricanes' discussion

Postby space_raptor » Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:09 pm UTC

Yeah, I just read several pages on the Long Island express too. I'm just lucky the "I'm Feeling Lucky" button didn't point me to wikipedia, I probably would have been committed for the day right there.
The drinking will continue until morale improves.

mkamba

Postby mkamba » Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:13 pm UTC

As a New Orleanian, I have to say... LMAO!!!

I think my favorites are Red and Blue.

space_raptor

Postby space_raptor » Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:16 pm UTC

aeiss wrote:I love this comic.

But honestly, you wonder why people put up with all this crap, when you could just move to Australia.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/opinion/sudd ... 47976.html

Read this in the paper in the other day, think about it ;)

Heh.

I dunno, I think the cold weather is good for us. Builds character, and all. Gotta be tough to handle the cold and snow.
Toronto isn't exactly the site of the harshest winters though, it's pretty much level with Boston.
The drinking will continue until morale improves.

Account20151023

Postby Account20151023 » Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:23 pm UTC

I have to say, I didn't lol at this comic. But every time I look at it, I think it's just as funny as the last time I looked at it. It's a comic with legs.

ParanoidDrone

Postby ParanoidDrone » Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:33 pm UTC

sje46 wrote:@ californians/southerners poking fun at people inexperienced with earthquakes/hurricanes.

Well at least we Northerners don't freak out over a quarter inch of snow. And we don't say "y'all"

Spoiler:
Burn.

Hey there, I may be from the South, but I've lived in Boston for several years before. So nyah~ :P

And y'all is incredibly useful. Without it you have a hard time figuring out if you mean you singular or you plural sometimes.

EDIT (to fellow Southerners): Am I the only person who hates it when someone pronounces hurricane as "her-uh-kin"?
Insert witty phrase here.

dreadfulduck

Postby dreadfulduck » Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:47 pm UTC

ParanoidDrone wrote:
sje46 wrote:@ californians/southerners poking fun at people inexperienced with earthquakes/hurricanes.

Well at least we Northerners don't freak out over a quarter inch of snow. And we don't say "y'all"

Spoiler:
Burn.

Hey there, I may be from the South, but I've lived in Boston for several years before. So nyah~ :P

And y'all is incredibly useful. Without it you have a hard time figuring out if you mean you singular or you plural sometimes.

EDIT (to fellow Southerners): Am I the only person who hates it when someone pronounces hurricane as "her-uh-kin"?

well, I'm from North Carolina, and I personally have never heard it pronounced like that. But I do agree that ya'll is useful, and when I went to boarding school in upstate New York, some of my classmates took a liking to it and started saying it as well, despite their northern-ness. (Can you imagine people with a thick upstate new york accent, you know those harsh sounding aa's, saying ya'll?? Maybe I shouldn't have encouraged that...)

spaceiscurved

Postby spaceiscurved » Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:51 pm UTC

Brilliant comic. I especially loved Freud. I didn't actually get the red and blue ones until I read the thread, but the rest was good enough to make up for it.
Im in ur noun, verbing ur related noun.
imdb wrote:Darth Vader may frighten younger children

scraps

Postby scraps » Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:06 pm UTC

New York was actually hit by three hurricanes in 1954, as was the whole northeast. First Carol and Edna in quick succession, then the infamous Hazel, which was at the time the most destructive hurricane ever, the only category 4 hurricane to hit as far north as North Carolina and plowing far inland; it was strong enough to kill 81 people in Toronto. 115 MPH winds were recorded in New York, the city record. Carol, Edna, and Hazel were all subsequently retired from the list of hurricane names.

yourchel

Postby yourchel » Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:15 pm UTC

okvol

Postby okvol » Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:17 pm UTC

ParanoidDrone wrote:

Spoiler:
Burn.

I was born in eastern Tennessee, moved to Oklahoma, then to California, now I'm back in Oklahoma.

And Erin (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tropical_Storm_Erin_(2007)) had a nasty effect here last year because western Oklahoma is too flat to drain that much rain in a short period of time.
This signature left intentionally blank.

AWA

Postby AWA » Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:36 pm UTC

Lol'd hard on reading this one. Nice job, Randall.

I don't know which is better, Freud or cos(x)...

I don't get the "&" in "Where-The-Hell-Is-Bermuda"...can someone please explain?

asanisimasa

Postby asanisimasa » Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:42 pm UTC

vaderdudenator wrote:i expected something deeper.

That's what she said.

ThemePark wrote:
AdmiralJustin wrote:
sje46 wrote:I've went to school on 5 inches.

I've gone to school on a foot and a half.

And at -35F, sadly I can't claim they were the same day.

I'm glad someone mentioned this. A foot of snow really isn't all that much, and definitely not enough to stop you from going out, it's just hard, is all.

We usually get a foot of snow once or twice during a winter. And then no snow for the rest of the winter.

I've been to school with 3 feet when I lived in Montana. It's not really that certain places/people can't handle a little snow, it's that certain places aren't prepared for snow, while other places get it so much than nothing really phases them.
"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love." - Carl Sagan

Doodle77

Postby Doodle77 » Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:55 pm UTC

SwissArmyAnts wrote:
Ronfar wrote:Unlike many other cities, New York has absolutely no natural disasters. All of its disasters are entirely man-made.

Well, there is the occasional super-blizzard, and I even recall a minor earthquake or two, but that's about it.

New York hasn't had an earthquake since the 1700s as far as I know.

scraps

Postby scraps » Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:58 pm UTC

New York has deadly heatwaves with some frequency.

MrWarMage

Postby MrWarMage » Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:08 pm UTC

minke wrote:
simX wrote:
nyeguy wrote:Shouldn't it be Hurricane cos(x)+7 (well, approximately 7), since it is not centered on the equator, what should the the x axis?

This was my first thought when I saw Hurricane cos(x). I was also wondering if it was correctly centered about the prime meridian, because that also matters.

Both of these things only matter if you assume that the earth is flat. Calling this function cos(x) also is based on the assumption that at least this section of the earth is flat, but it's a more reasonable assumption because the map is only of one section of a sphere. Bringing the rest of the globe into things only makes them more complicated (and more distorted). Also, just because there's a set of coordinates already in place on the globe doesn't necessarily mean that it's mathematically handy to use them. I'm in favor of setting your axes wherever they're most convenient, in which case cos(x) is a perfectly reasonable equation for the hurricane. Though, given its proximity to freud, perhaps it would have better been called sin(x) :)

In order to make an accurate analysis of why "Hurricane cos(x)" is or is not graphed correctly, you have to know what projection was used for drawing the map. Is it Mercator? Tranverse-Mercator? Conical? Gaussian? Dymaxion?? Otherwise we can't understand how "flat" the earth has been made to appear over this given area... this matters!! :mrgreen:

...what? where? Who's a Geographer..?

Edit: (Can't type "conical" correctly.)

lirilia

Postby lirilia » Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:16 pm UTC

dreadfulduck wrote:
ParanoidDrone wrote:

Spoiler:
Burn.

well, I'm from North Carolina, and I personally have never heard it pronounced like that. But I do agree that ya'll is useful, and when I went to boarding school in upstate New York, some of my classmates took a liking to it and started saying it as well, despite their northern-ness. (Can you imagine people with a thick upstate new york accent, you know those harsh sounding aa's, saying ya'll?? Maybe I shouldn't have encouraged that...)

I'm from California, been here all my life, and maybe that's my problem, but I do not get the ya'll thing. Why is it so hard to say, 'hey everybody?' or 'hey guys?' or hell, just 'guys'! Is ya'll really that much easier?

Shakes

Postby Shakes » Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:25 pm UTC

I resent that Illinois comment... Spend a year in Chicago and try telling me that this weather is "easy." It is anything but. We have some of the most unbareable weather in the USA all year round... There are about 2 months a year when it is nice. Other times, it can get as hot as Florida and as cold as plain death. Anyone from Florida would probably die here in the winter. From shock. Plus, Illinois has tornados all the time. How many tornados do people see in Florida? We have that nice Mississippi river (among many others) that floods all the time too. And now, because of that New Madrid fault line, the midwest is getting eathquakes now too. Tornados, floods, crappy weather, and (new to us, but soon to be more) earthquakes.

I have relatives in Florida. Why'd they move there? Bucause the weather sucks here.

pffft. Easy my ass.

smartalco

Postby smartalco » Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:33 pm UTC

sje46 wrote:But I have to wonder if tornadoes are really that bad. I mean, I've never seen one before, but they don't look like they would destroy a city and kill dozens of people. It'll destroy some buildings, yes, but it won't destroy the infrastructure of a city and cripple it.

You obviously don't live in Kansas. (google Greensburg if you think tornadoes aren't that bad, its just that between the relatively high amount of open space on the plains, and the fact that tornadoes often don't travel more then 10 miles, that more crap isn't destroyed, but when they hit, they hit hard)

xAstral

Postby xAstral » Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:41 pm UTC

Shakes wrote:I resent that Illinois comment... Spend a year in Chicago and try telling me that this weather is "easy." It is anything but. We have some of the most unbareable weather in the USA all year round... There are about 2 months a year when it is nice. Other times, it can get as hot as Florida and as cold as plain death. Anyone from Florida would probably die here in the winter. From shock. Plus, Illinois has tornados all the time. How many tornados do people see in Florida? We have that nice Mississippi river (among many others) that floods all the time too. And now, because of that New Madrid fault line, the midwest is getting eathquakes now too. Tornados, floods, crappy weather, and (new to us, but soon to be more) earthquakes.

I have relatives in Florida. Why'd they move there? Bucause the weather sucks here.

pffft. Easy my ass.

I'm new to the boards, by the by. Hello there.

This almost scares me, just a little. I live in Miami, FL and in two months' time, I'll be living in Chicago, IL. I may indeed just die from shock.

Kalos

Postby Kalos » Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:47 pm UTC

AdmiralJustin wrote:
sje46 wrote:Well, Boston isn't completely impervious to destruction. WE got cold winters, a lot of snow, and I remember some pretty bad flooding a few years ago (maybe that was just the Merrimack valley . . .)
Melannen wrote:

Spoiler:
Burn.

LMAO!!
Quarter inch? Geeze.. I can still find my golf ball in a quarter inch! Wait till there's at least a couple inches before giving up my game hahahaha

I've went to school on 5 inches.

I've gone to school on a foot and a half.

And at -35F, sadly I can't claim they were the same day.

This is the internet you can claim whatever you want!

I'm the emperor of pudding!

As a resident of MI, I can say that snow was never a problem in winter. Forget that, I'll drive with 2ft of snow on the ground in a raging blizzard. The real problem was 1) Ice and 2) Nobody can figure out why their tiny sports car doesn't drive the same in the winter and keeps running into shit.

dharmamama

Postby dharmamama » Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:52 pm UTC

That's what she... ah, nevermind.

My avatar loves the Red & Blue paths. Turns her on.

boylede

Postby boylede » Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:02 pm UTC

I'm from California, been here all my life, and maybe that's my problem, but I do not get the ya'll thing. Why is it so hard to say, 'hey everybody?' or 'hey guys?' or hell, just 'guys'! Is ya'll really that much easier?

Actually, I'm from Virginia so maybe I'm not south enough to know, but I use "ya'll" instead of "you guys/gals/people". Never as an introduction "hey ya'll". Thats just weird. :wink:

as in "what are ya'll doin later"
"are ya'll coming over here after?"

Ontopic: love the comic. not my favorite XKCD, but funny. Freud was confusing at first, I thought it was going to be a more complex explanation then "oo balls"

halloweenjack

Postby halloweenjack » Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:05 pm UTC

xAstral wrote:
This almost scares me, just a little. I live in Miami, FL and in two months' time, I'll be living in Chicago, IL. I may indeed just die from shock.

:roll:

Just about every place that I've lived thinks that it has the worst weather in the world. If the prospect of winter as the Great Lakes region understands it scares you, then moving to Chicago--or anywhere north of the Mason-Dixon Line, frankly--would be a mistake. Buy a military-surplus parka and a pair of warm gloves, get the underside of your car treated to keep salt from eating it, you'll be fine.

Syka

Postby Syka » Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:10 pm UTC

Actually, Florida gets a fair few tornados. We are regularly under tornado watches and warnings, particularly during the summer months what with the insanity of our severe weather. Couple this with hurricanes and living in the lightening capital of the WORLD.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Jean ... _track.png

That storm drove me NUTS.

Weather Forecasters: "Jeanne is going to hit us start preparing...Oh wait, no, it's moving off into the Atlantic...*a week later* Oh sh*t...!" It reminds me of "Hurricane Where-The-Hell-Is-Bermuda?"

Cheers~
wing wrote:...because xkcdians are so fucking odd that they're totally desensitized to "Gee, John Q Public thinks I'm dumb." and replaces it with "John Q Public is dumb."

NaNo 07: Stuck in the Middle-Won
NaNo '06: Mother Nature is Red- Won

halloweenjack

Postby halloweenjack » Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:12 pm UTC

Shakes wrote:I resent that Illinois comment... Spend a year in Chicago and try telling me that this weather is "easy." It is anything but. We have some of the most unbareable weather in the USA all year round... There are about 2 months a year when it is nice. Other times, it can get as hot as Florida and as cold as plain death. Anyone from Florida would probably die here in the winter. From shock. Plus, Illinois has tornados all the time. How many tornados do people see in Florida? We have that nice Mississippi river (among many others) that floods all the time too. And now, because of that New Madrid fault line, the midwest is getting eathquakes now too. Tornados, floods, crappy weather, and (new to us, but soon to be more) earthquakes.

pffft. Easy my ass.

Oh, you big wuss. After delivering a paper route for several years in rural Wisconsin (near La Crosse), spending my teens in Chicago was nothing. When the temperature would spike up to 20º F in January, I'd be all walking around with my parka open, going, "Damn, it's a heat wave." But if you'd really prefer it in Florida, and would like to find out why it's the only state with its own tag on Fark, go for it.

bbobjoe

Postby bbobjoe » Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:20 pm UTC

Also from California, I like to use "guys", but when I worked in a restaurant we were not allowed to say "guys" to the table because "it could be considered offensive" (I don't understand that). So I used "ya'll" when I needed to address an entire table. I actually had some people ask me what state I was from.
Last edited by bbobjoe on Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:25 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

cclifton

Postby cclifton » Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:24 pm UTC

Shakes wrote:Plus, Illinois has tornados all the time. How many tornados do people see in Florida?

There's a NOAA tornado data poster above my desk here at work, with a graph of average number of tornadoes per year 1989-1998 for each state. Illinois: 43. Florida: 79.
In fact, the only state with more frequent tornadoes is Texas. Damn science! Always getting in the way of good complaining! That said, I'm guessing most of the nados in Illinois are stronger and associated with more dangerous outbreaks. And no arguments about Mississippi flooding. That's some crazy stuff.

MrWarMage wrote:In order to make an accurate analysis of why "Hurricane cos(x)" is or is not graphed correctly, you have to know what projection was used for drawing the map.

Standard procedure when plotting tropical cyclones is to just plot Lat/Lon as if it were Cartesian coordinates. Anywhere below 30N, the distortion from curvature is pretty negligible. I've seen The Big Board at the National Hurricane Center and that's how they do it.
Considering that the comic shows Nova Scotia though, I agree that it'd be a valid question for any of the other storms. But for Hurricane Cos(x)+7 seems valid to me

In current events: Hurricane I Think I'll Just Hang Out Here For A While
http://radar.weather.gov/radar.php?rid= ... 1&loop=yes
The improbable will happen.

iain

Postby iain » Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:24 pm UTC

I'm a self-confessed wuss.

Living in the UK, in an area where temperatures vary from about 28 °F (coldest in winter) to 77 °F (hottest in summer), going to Illinois in both summer and winter was a shock.

Comments that I was made fun of for included:

• "Why is the snow doing that?" (It was too cold to clump together "properly", leading to "snow drifts", which I'd never seen before. I only normally see snow once every few years, and it never "drifts".)
  • "I'm dying of heat." (Said in the spring, when it was about 85 °F.)
  • "Can we put the air on?" (Said when the inside temperature was 72 °F.)

Iconoclast

Postby Iconoclast » Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:30 pm UTC

halloweenjack wrote:

pffft. Easy my ass.

Oh, you big wuss. After delivering a paper route for several years in rural Wisconsin (near La Crosse), spending my teens in Chicago was nothing. When the temperature would spike up to 20º F in January, I'd be all walking around with my parka open, going, "Damn, it's a heat wave." But if you'd really prefer it in Florida, and would like to find out why it's the only state with its own tag on Fark, go for it.
It's also the only state to have a banner on Dvorak.org . Although it's more for the people, not the weather.
"When a cat walks down the street in a hat like that, people know that he's not afraid of anything."

lirilia

Postby lirilia » Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:31 pm UTC

bbobjoe wrote:

Also from California, I like to use "guys", but when I worked in a restaurant we were not allowed to say "guys" to the table because "it could be considered offensive" (I don't understand that). So I used "ya'll" when I needed to address an entire table. I actually had some people ask me what state I was from.

I see what you mean, but I still think I would have used everybody, as in 'How's everybody doing?' or something similar. Eh, to each his own.

MrWarMage

Postby MrWarMage » Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:59 pm UTC

cclifton wrote:(stuff)

MrWarMage wrote:In order to make an accurate analysis of why "Hurricane cos(x)" is or is not graphed correctly, you have to know what projection was used for drawing the map.

Standard procedure when plotting tropical cyclones is to just plot Lat/Lon as if it were Cartesian coordinates. Anywhere below 30N, the distortion from curvature is pretty negligible. I've seen The Big Board at the National Hurricane Center and that's how they do it.
Considering that the comic shows Nova Scotia though, I agree that it'd be a valid question for any of the other storms. But for Hurricane Cos(x)+7 seems valid to me

In current events: Hurricane I Think I'll Just Hang Out Here For A While
http://radar.weather.gov/radar.php?rid= ... 1&loop=yes

I'm cool with that.

sje46

Postby sje46 » Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:28 pm UTC

dharmamama wrote:

That's what she... ah, nevermind.

My avatar loves the Red & Blue paths. Turns her on.

I came to school on five inches, maybe?
smartalco wrote:
sje46 wrote:But I have to wonder if tornadoes are really that bad. I mean, I've never seen one before, but they don't look like they would destroy a city and kill dozens of people. It'll destroy some buildings, yes, but it won't destroy the infrastructure of a city and cripple it.

You obviously don't live in Kansas. (google Greensburg if you think tornadoes aren't that bad, its just that between the relatively high amount of open space on the plains, and the fact that tornadoes often don't travel more then 10 miles, that more crap isn't destroyed, but when they hit, they hit hard)

Well, I guess you're right. They probably have low death rates and least amount of destruction or whatever because of the open spaces and such. But if you concentrate all that energy into that small of an area, that has to hurt.
ParanoidDrone wrote:

Spoiler:
Burn.

Useful, sure, but I still cringe whenever I hear it.
You probably react the same way with the word "wicked"
That storm was wicked bad.
General_Norris: Taking pride in your nation is taking pride in the division of humanity.
Pirate.Bondage: Let's get married. Right now.

Downward_Spiral

Postby Downward_Spiral » Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:10 pm UTC

AWA wrote:Lol'd hard on reading this one. Nice job, Randall.

I don't know which is better, Freud or cos(x)...

I don't get the "&" in "Where-The-Hell-Is-Bermuda"...can someone please explain?

I hate to admit it, but I don't get the & either!!

shadowboy

Postby shadowboy » Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:19 pm UTC

What's interesting is that Tampa has not had any direct hurricane hits in over half a century. By direct hit, I mean where Tampa is first landfall. Francis and Jeanne went through Tampa, but they hit FL on the Atlantic coast and crossed the state to get to Tampa.

Given the low elevation of the downtown area, the fact that the bay is surrounded by land, etc., a 20ft storm surge from the bay would demolish the area. If a hurricane directly hits Tampa Bay it could be disastrous.

The irony? Tampa is one of the stormiest places in the country. In fact, there is a thunderstorm going on right now as I type this.

fennecfanatic

Postby fennecfanatic » Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:27 pm UTC

This made me laugh more than any other XKCD strip in recent memory. High-larious! Got all the jokes.

Offtopic wonderings:
Spoiler:
PatrickRsGhost wrote:PRG

An important message for you:

Way off topic, but I'm curious about your signature. Here's what I got:

Code: Select all

00000000  42 84 09 13 26 4C 99  32 65 CA 94 29 52 A4 48 90
 00000010  20 40 81 03 07 0E 1C  39 73 E6 -- -- -- -- -- --

In string form, that'd be...

"B\x84\t\x13&L\x992e\xca\x94R\xa4H\x90 @\x81\x03\x07\x0e\x1c9s\xe6"

which is also

B„   &L™2eÊ”)R¤H @9sæ

I've tried considering it as EBCDIC and big- and little-endian unicode, and nothing is lining up. Is it compressed? Is it encrypted?

...Is it nerd sniping? :shock:
"the crapping out is non-deterministic." (danderson)

kanavazk

Postby kanavazk » Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:29 pm UTC

I think I like the Red vs Blue one the best. (Hurricane Illinois goes through where I live. -_-)
THIS IS FROM THE INTERENT!

NThisStyle-10-6

Postby NThisStyle-10-6 » Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:34 pm UTC

sje46 wrote:Useful, sure, but I still cringe whenever I hear it.
You probably react the same way with the word "wicked"
That storm was wicked bad.

Actually (born and raised in the heart of the Deep South [important enough that it has to be capitalized], Mississippi), I don't mind and am actually quite entertained by the use of "wicked." I had no option but to say "y'all." I will note, however, that I don't Ddddrrraaaawwwwlll it out like a lot of Southerners tend to, which seems to be the reason that it gets such a bad reputation. As for addressing a group, it is as useful to say "hey[]y'all" with a liason-y as it is to say, "hey[]guys," where you have a necessary glottal stop...

But that's just way too much thought. "Guys" also literally indicates a group of men/boys/male humans. While I'm not feminist/prefer an ambiguous "his" to a "his or her" and that kind of thing, I try to be considerate of those (women) who don't like to be referred to as "guys."

Who knows, though. Maybe I just read too deeply into everything.

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:38 pm UTC

I didn't think it was the funny...but holy crap it just keeps getting darker here. Maybe I'll just add huricane Dolly running off to meet Louis Armstrong somewhere else.
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

ThemePark

Postby ThemePark » Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:40 pm UTC

fennecfanatic wrote:This made me laugh more than any other XKCD strip in recent memory. High-larious! Got all the jokes.

Offtopic wonderings:
Spoiler:
PatrickRsGhost wrote:PRG

An important message for you:

Way off topic, but I'm curious about your signature. Here's what I got:

00000000  42 84 09 13 26 4C 99  32 65 CA 94 29 52 A4 48 90
 00000010  20 40 81 03 07 0E 1C  39 73 E6 -- -- -- -- -- --

In string form, that'd be...

"B\x84\t\x13&L\x992e\xca\x94R\xa4H\x90 @\x81\x03\x07\x0e\x1c9s\xe6"

which is also

B„   &L™2eÊ”)R¤H @9sæ

I've tried considering it as EBCDIC and big- and little-endian unicode, and nothing is lining up. Is it compressed? Is it encrypted?

...Is it nerd sniping? :shock:

It's much, much worse than that. It's...
Spoiler:
Monty Python's Flying Circusssssssssssssssss!

No really, it's
Be sure to eat your bacon.
I have traveled from 1979 to be a member of the unofficial board Council of Elders. Phear M3

shadowboy

Postby shadowboy » Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:57 pm UTC

shadowboy wrote:What's interesting is that Tampa has not had any direct hurricane hits in over half a century. By direct hit, I mean where Tampa is first landfall. Francis and Jeanne went through Tampa, but they hit FL on the Atlantic coast and crossed the state to get to Tampa.

Given the low elevation of the downtown area, the fact that the bay is surrounded by land, etc., a 20ft storm surge from the bay would demolish the area. If a hurricane directly hits Tampa Bay it could be disastrous.

The irony? Tampa is one of the stormiest places in the country. In fact, there is a thunderstorm going on right now as I type this.

And not 2 minutes after posting this... the power flickered. This is a bad storm, even by Tampa standards. There's probably 30-50mph gusts.

And then the power went out again while typing this very post.

I really need to replace the batteries in my UPS.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”