0157: "Filler Art"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Shoofle

0157: "Filler Art"

Postby Shoofle » Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:19 am UTC

Man, why's everyone gotta be hatin' on the Megatokyo? I like Megatokyo. So many people hate it, I don't get it.

Hmm, this comic reminds me, I should go in for a thigh-rotation soon.

McMillian

Postby McMillian » Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:21 am UTC

What the fuck is a thigh-rotation?

Other than sexy-sounding, of course.

Shoofle

Postby Shoofle » Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:24 am UTC

It's where you rotate your thighs, so that no thigh gets too deprived of nutrients by the crops growing there.

leebenningfield

Re: Official "Filler Art" Discussion

Postby leebenningfield » Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:25 am UTC

Shoofle wrote:Man, why's everyone gotta be hatin' on the Megatokyo?

because it's been 5 years, and it seems like only 5 days has passed in the comic. and fred is rather inconsistent in posting new comics.

i still read it though...

McMillian

Postby McMillian » Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:26 am UTC

Oh, that makes sense. Sounds even sexier now, though.

leebenningfield wrote:because it's been 5 years, and it seems like only 5 days has passed in the comic. and fred is rather inconsistent in posting new comics.

i still read it though...

Consider yourself lucky you're not an El Goonish Shive fan. Monday-Wednesday-Friday my ass.
Last edited by McMillian on Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:27 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:27 am UTC

The key to making a comic base not hate you....is a regular update schedule.

I only barely manage to like Mac Hall anymore, and it's a lot funnier than megatokyo, imo.

McMillian

Postby McMillian » Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:31 am UTC

Mac Hall is awesome, though.

And Ian has legitimate shit going on in his life, anyway.

Fred Gallagher LIVES off his comic. That is his primary source of income. And on the offchance that he actually makes a comic, he doesn't even go to the trouble of INKING it, much less making it look professional at all.

xkcd
Site Ninja

Postby xkcd » Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:49 am UTC

McMillian wrote:Mac Hall is awesome, though.

And Ian has legitimate shit going on in his life, anyway.

Fred Gallagher LIVES off his comic. That is his primary source of income. And on the offchance that he actually makes a comic, he doesn't even go to the trouble of INKING it, much less making it look professional at all.

I don't know anything about Fred's situation, but I've definitely got some appreciation for the amount of work involved in the selling-shit side of a webcomic now. There's this big space in my apartment that's about to be filled to the roof with crates of t-shirts, and I've spent several all-nighters cataloguing t-shirt orders into spreadsheets and shit. I can't imagine how crazy it's gonna get when I'm shipping stuff.

But yeah, it seems bizarre that someone who's doing their comic full-time (which I'm not, at the moment) wouldn't have time to, you know, DRAW something.

McMillian

Postby McMillian » Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:54 am UTC

Haha, I'd totally buy one or more of your shirts.

I thrive on nerd humor. I'm a pretentious dick like that.

Edit: Though I love this forum, everyone's way smarter than I am.

Sandalphon

Mmmhmm

Postby Sandalphon » Fri Sep 15, 2006 7:12 am UTC

Megatokyo is an easy target. What can I say, though? I don't care for it—I find the writing to be very lackluster, for a story-driven comic. I don't really like the characters, I'm not drawn into the story, and it's not funny. So, that sort of eliminates the great appeal of it for me.

Anyway, I'm not going to ever take away that Megatokyo is actually one of the better drawn webcomics out there. Yeah, it's easy to say "Oh, he doesn't ink it"—especially when you don't realise how much cleaning up he does in the digital side of his work, and, ultimately, his look is a conscious choice, not a lazy "I dun wanna ink it 'cause I'm lazy!" thing. I've always agreed with Eight of Road Waffles fame: inking is overrated.

A lot of artists—such as McConville—are also copy-pasting a lot of their content. Mac Hall looks great, and it's one of the more artistic comics out there, but I can also look at it and see the two or three elements of the comics he actually spent time drawing and inking, in with the rest of the comic that he hashed out in Photoshop in the close-to-last stage.

I'm pretty sure Gallagher is one of the hardest working artists in webcomics, but he's a terrible writer and needs to get someone to make up better stories to hang his artwork upon. MegaTokyo is one of the few, few, few webcomics that actually explores perspective, composition, and I can tell the artist is touching up the design nigh constantly, probably to an compulsive level in Gallagher's case.

MegaTokyo is half a comic, in my opinion. It's got the art, but it just... lacks the story, or the jokes. xkcd has the jokes, and a convenient niche, both of which MegaTokyo doesn't—that's another thing, if you really want the manga-style shoujo story, you buy manga, not search the Internet. Gallagher would probably be best suited in a manga/anime studio, really.

Shirt Guy Dom, by the bye, is not a funny person, and I think what truly drove me away from MegaTokyo wasn't the filler art days, but the Shirt Guy Dom days, in the end.

Ephphatha

Postby Ephphatha » Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:29 am UTC

Want to pick on a webcomic for not updating on schedule? Try VGCats. Updated monday... Maybe. It could well be wednesday, or even friday, or I might just miss a whole week but because I never stick to the schedule no one will notice! Hah!

The writing is very good though, which is why I stick around.

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:55 am UTC

Meh, I don't pay any money to read 'em so I'm not too bothered if thewy don't update regularly. It's not like I'm even loyal to them. I read plenty of comics, and very occasionally buy things.

Frankeinstein

Postby Frankeinstein » Fri Sep 15, 2006 12:06 pm UTC

Sure we all dislike filler art, but it is nothing compared to the FILLER RAT!

Beware!

Jerf

Postby Jerf » Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:05 pm UTC

<voice type="snooty wine taster">I like the direction this new character is taking. The art is redolent of the finer Rembrants, with the voluptuous character exuding character and excitement. The pose of striving reminds us that we must go on, on, ever onward to overcome this challenge that is life. The facial expression, clearly drawing from the oeuvre of Rubens at his height, and possibly exceeding it, stirs feelings of pathos deep in my breast, and reminds me of the fundamental futility of the human condition.

I would not be surprised to see work involving this character in the Louvre in the future. Truly a classic for the ages.</voice>

Pau!
Dutiful Sycophant

Postby Pau! » Fri Sep 15, 2006 5:40 pm UTC

Honestly, I'm not even sure what thigh rotation is, but I laughed at this comic anyway. It's filler-that-serves-the-same-purpose-as-a-normal-comic.

I like hyphens.

davean
Site Ninja

Re: Mmmhmm

Postby davean » Fri Sep 15, 2006 5:59 pm UTC

Sandalphon wrote:I'm pretty sure Gallagher is one of the hardest working artists in webcomics, but he's a terrible writer and needs to get someone to make up better stories to hang his artwork upon. MegaTokyo is one of the few, few, few webcomics that actually explores perspective, composition, and I can tell the artist is touching up the design nigh constantly, probably to an compulsive level in Gallagher's case.

MegaTokyo is half a comic, in my opinion. It's got the art, but it just... lacks the story, or the jokes. xkcd has the jokes, and a convenient niche, both of which MegaTokyo doesn't—that's another thing, if you really want the manga-style shoujo story, you buy manga, not search the Internet. Gallagher would probably be best suited in a manga/anime studio, really.

Ironicly, he wasn't the original writer :) It use to have the jokes, before pyro kicked the creator out.

zombiereagan

Re: Mmmhmm

Postby zombiereagan » Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:40 pm UTC

Sandalphon wrote:Shirt Guy Dom, by the bye, is not a funny person, and I think what truly drove me away from MegaTokyo wasn't the filler art days, but the Shirt Guy Dom days, in the end.

dom's stuff used to be stupid to a point of wanting to hit myself but i find his humor to be in much better shape lately. Though his stick figures are still horrible but i love them for that.
whatever doesn't kill you only serves to horribly maim you.Image

Marrow

Postby Marrow » Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:37 pm UTC

I generally like megatokyo. If nothing else Miho is cool. As far as inking is concerned, it looks like it would be a major pain in the ass, there is a lot of detail that goes into the background and everywhere. While it doesn't update with plot on time every time often the filler art is good enough to be able to actually say that it isn't bad or that its interesting. I'll defend it, its one of the reasons that I got started on web comics anyway.

Edit: Oh, I forgot that I didn't have time this morning to actually read today's comic. I thought rotating your thighs was something a bit more like rotating the tires of a car so that your shoe's tread wears evenly. I guess its kinda obvious that I haven't had my thighs rotated, but I did have my rotator cup filled.
Nonconformists unite for paradox.

Shoofle

Postby Shoofle » Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:28 pm UTC

I'm glad someone else likes Megatokyo...
Also: Having your thighs rotated is more like crop rotation than tire rotation.

Marrow

Postby Marrow » Sat Sep 16, 2006 12:04 am UTC

Shoofle wrote:I'm glad someone else likes Megatokyo...
Also: Having your thighs rotated is more like crop rotation than tire rotation.

Yeah, I saw that. Quite complex, but probably for the best.
Nonconformists unite for paradox.

Tropylium

Postby Tropylium » Mon Sep 25, 2006 11:17 am UTC

MT, EGS & VGCats are nothing compared to, say, Avalon... Seriously, the guy returned from a two-year hiatus just this January, and went back before February was over. But what really gets me? The "A new comic will be up on Tuesday" notice that's been sitting on his frontpage for nearly nine months now.

Shoofle

Postby Shoofle » Mon Sep 25, 2006 10:03 pm UTC

And then there was Men in Hats - one of the greatest comics ever to roam the web, which ultimately killed its creator. Nothing bad shall be said about it - all comments I make are neutral to good.

Aaron Farber went on several months- to year-long hiati.

Tropylium

Postby Tropylium » Tue Sep 26, 2006 3:56 pm UTC

Shoofle wrote:And then there was Men in Hats - one of the greatest comics ever to roam the web, which ultimately killed its creator. Nothing bad shall be said about it - all comments I make are neutral to good.

7 years can accommodate 133% more hiati than 3 years. MiH also wasn't story-based. :P
(A "my fave webcomic has a worse update schedule than yours" contest? Wouldn't have gessed to ever be in one one day.)

OTOH hiatus ≠ death. When 1 month is officially forever in Interweb Timeâ„¢, it's easy to forget that human lifespans regularily exceed ten years… I'm willing to wait a decade if that's what it takes before eg. Tommy the Post-Nuclear Cat is returned online.

william
Not a Raptor. Honest.

Postby william » Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:17 pm UTC

Tropylium wrote:
Shoofle wrote:And then there was Men in Hats - one of the greatest comics ever to roam the web, which ultimately killed its creator. Nothing bad shall be said about it - all comments I make are neutral to good.

7 years can accommodate 133% more hiati than 3 years. MiH also wasn't story-based. :P

HIATUS ISN'T A FUCKING SECOND DECLENSION NOUN! DOES NOT PLURALIZE TO HIATI! *launches Latin grammarstick*

OTOH hiatus ≠ death. When 1 month is officially forever in Interweb Time™, it's easy to forget that human lifespans regularily exceed ten years… I'm willing to wait a decade if that's what it takes before eg. Tommy the Post-Nuclear Cat is returned online.

OTGH the longer a hiatus goes on the less likely it will ever end.
SecondTalon wrote:A pile of shit can call itself a delicious pie, but that doesn't make it true.

WhiteWizard42

Postby WhiteWizard42 » Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:42 am UTC

this reminds me of the lunch breaks in the Hitchhiker's Guide offices, which increased in length until it finally got to the point of:

Lig Lury Junior. Missing. Presumed fed.
Never argue with a fool, he'll drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”