0456: "Cautionary"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Figs

0456: "Cautionary"

Postby Figs » Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:01 am UTC

http://xkcd.com/456/
Alt Text: This really is a true story, and she doesn't know I put it in my comic because her wifi hasn't worked for weeks.

Reminds me of when I got into programming... I still don't sleep normally :)
Last edited by Figs on Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:11 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.

PhilSandifer

Re: "Cautionary" Discussion

Postby PhilSandifer » Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:02 am UTC

Man, I never got that far when I tried installing Linux.

shortchar

Postby shortchar » Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:03 am UTC

I love running Linux, but dear lord, this comic is so true.
"Life - and I don't suppose I'm the first to make this comparison - is a disease: sexually transmitted, and invariably fatal" (Neil Gaiman).

Zoris

Postby Zoris » Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:03 am UTC

Haha, this actually happened to be, except I went to Arch instead of Gentoo, so I'm fine. :D

asad137

Postby asad137 » Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:05 am UTC

You fail at the internet:

If you're going to start a topic in this section, include a link to the comic and provide some amount of commentary.

Ah, you clever guy...you added commentary while I was posting! You still need an actual URL link rather than a linked image.

*nix never seemed worth the effort to me. I don't want to spend my time trying to get my computer to work.

Asad
Last edited by asad137 on Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:07 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.

joee

Postby joee » Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:05 am UTC

Stuff I have mucked around with since installing ubuntu:
- network drivers
- video drivers
- dual screen setups
- VPN
- drivers for my webcam
- mounting remote drive

Stupid Uni and firewalls and authentication :(
Hi glasnt.

eleniy86

Postby eleniy86 » Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:06 am UTC

haha i know so many people like this...can't sleep for days....they really need to learn to swordfight like http://xkcd.com/303/ :D

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:06 am UTC

Man pages!? A new user's X.Org is broken, the new user doesn't know what X.Org is, and the first place (s)he should look is the thick, obfuscating man pages!?

Linux0s

Postby Linux0s » Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:06 am UTC

Yep, that's what happens when you start using Linux alright.
If the male mind truly were a machine it would consist of a shaft and a bushing.

Figs

Postby Figs » Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:07 am UTC

asad137 wrote:You fail at the internet:

If you're going to start a topic in this section, include a link to the comic and provide some amount of commentary.

*nix never seemed worth the effort to me. I don't want to spend my time trying to get my computer to work.

Asad

Yeah, I remembered that right after I submitted. I don't usually try to start threads for comics, but I got it just as the comic came up, so I figured I might as well give it a shot.

Jach

Postby Jach » Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:08 am UTC

Wow, they sure went to Gentoo quickly after not even knowing what xorg is...

I love my Gentoo installs!
I love reading quotes.

jakerman999

Postby jakerman999 » Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:08 am UTC

I found Ubuntu was a bit bare, but instead of moving to a different build completely, I just upgraded to kUbuntu.

also, I would have gotten this first, but lately the alt. text on images hasn't been working correctly. I'll have reinstall the firefox library, and then....
If all the worlds my stage let's go to intermission

crapsh00t

Postby crapsh00t » Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:10 am UTC

A comic so close to home I had to register. I started off battling with Ubuntu and 36 hours later got my WiFi working with some convoluted ndiswrapper work. However, it only lasted until the next system boot, at which point it stopped working again.

Now I just use PCLinux. When I have an ethernet cable nearby. :?

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:12 am UTC

It's like a cross between xkcd and adequacy. I like.
Last edited by phlip on Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:16 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

sje46

Postby sje46 » Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:12 am UTC

I dont understand a snigle word of this comic.

What is Linux? What is Xorg?

I need help.
General_Norris: Taking pride in your nation is taking pride in the division of humanity.
Pirate.Bondage: Let's get married. Right now.

Figs

Postby Figs » Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:12 am UTC

asad137 wrote:Ah, you clever guy...you added commentary while I was posting! You still need an actual URL link rather than a linked image.

Fixed. Did I mention I'm new at this? :)

Neureo900

Postby Neureo900 » Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:17 am UTC

I never quite realized how lucky I must have been when I first installed Ubuntu a few months ago. Not a single hitch so far.

...knocking on wood, of course.

'; DROP DATABASE;--

Postby '; DROP DATABASE;-- » Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:17 am UTC

Am I the only one who, with almost no prior Linux experience, has had no trouble getting Ubuntu to work? (Well, except my printer, I haven't really tried.) Maybe it's because I use Xubuntu? :?
poxic wrote:You suck. And simultaneously rock. I think you've invented a new state of being.

steve.howard

Postby steve.howard » Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:22 am UTC

I just gave up on getting my Arch install to boot again for a while (kernel upgrade gone horribly wrong), so this is quite timely. I figure I'll try again in a week.

amadeobellotti

Postby amadeobellotti » Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:24 am UTC

Oh me yarm Oh i read this 13 minutes ago and i havent stopped crying this is so true

Steve the Pocket

Postby Steve the Pocket » Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:24 am UTC

Whoa. A Linux enthusiast admits that Linux is not the perfect, end-all catch-all solution to all our computer woes? Call the fucking papers. This is a 72-point headliner at least.

Linux fanboys really should be required to include a disclaimer at the end of their raves. Something like:

Linux is not for everyone. If you have trouble diagnosing and fixing simple problems on your Windows or MacOS machine, you should not use Linux. Do not install Linux if you are on a tight schedule. Tell your guru if you have any unpopular proprietary hardware, as it may conflict with Linux's ability to function. Users who have no experience with command lines, complex filesystems, or programming are advised not to use Linux. Linux has been shown to be habit-forming and cause fanboy syndrome in some users. Side effects may include extreme frustration, lost data, wasted time, and cynicism with all computer systems. Only your guru can decide whether Linux is right for you.
cephalopod9 wrote:Only on Xkcd can you start a topic involving Hitler and people spend the better part of half a dozen pages arguing about the quality of Operating Systems.

Baige.

nahtanoj999

Postby nahtanoj999 » Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:24 am UTC

Her real problem was in panel one.

japanese_jew

Postby japanese_jew » Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:29 am UTC

Yeah, one of my friends installed ubuntu, couldn't get it to work, and decided to switch to fedora. Not as bad as gentoo, but . . . well let's just say she is adequately happy with Vista. Couldn't convince her to fuck around with xp drivers for her laptop after that charming experience. No sirree.

TheHand

Postby TheHand » Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:32 am UTC

I've contemplated linux for a while, but I must admit, this comic doesn't exactly push me in that direction. :)

aleflamedyud
wants your cookies

Postby aleflamedyud » Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:34 am UTC

'; DROP DATABASE;-- wrote:Am I the only one who, with almost no prior Linux experience, has had no trouble getting Ubuntu to work? (Well, except my printer, I haven't really tried.) Maybe it's because I use Xubuntu? :?

No, Ubuntu working without trouble is entirely normal. For example, it's how I accidentally started my mother's Linux habit. Now she's down to 1 boot-up a day... :-(
"With kindness comes naïveté. Courage becomes foolhardiness. And dedication has no reward. If you can't accept any of that, you are not fit to be a graduate student."

benjhuey

Postby benjhuey » Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:37 am UTC

Something else I get to look forward to when I start programing?
多么现在棕色母牛?

xgony

Postby xgony » Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:39 am UTC

wow. I feel the need to register and post a comment on this one.
Tried that, 1998... Slackware 1.02 or so. Hadn't slept for two days ... with my brother-in-law on the phone. Let's say now I'm a happy ubuntu user.

maravi

Postby maravi » Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:42 am UTC

*shudders*

That one hits close to home. Except I trudged through the whole adventure on my own. I still remember getting to the end of Gentoo, the sun peaking through my windows, and I had no clue what day it was.

Ah... good times.

crapsh00t

Postby crapsh00t » Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:46 am UTC

benjhuey wrote:Something else I get to look forward to when I start programing?

Probably not, we used Linux for my C programming class in college and just made remote connections to the prof's server. At a previous job, all the O/S setup was complete before they let us start scripting etc.

The griping everyone makes comes from the initial setup, and considering that Linux almost never comes with support discs with drivers, even that isn't so bad. Or at least it wouldn't be if Broadcom would create some open source drivers for the cheesefest wireless card that came with my laptop!

zrobotics

Postby zrobotics » Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:50 am UTC

Too true. I jumped right into debian, which was probably the first problem. It was actually easier to install than xp, but then I got some silly notion to watch some flash video. Then I needed java. But all the mucking around with the command line was just so much fun, that I turned into one of those fanboys that everyone hates. It's like crack, kids. You just think it'll be a quick download, install, fix drivers, and run. But then you start optimizing and playing with experimental packages, and suddenly you realize you don't actually use your computer for anything besides unnecessary maintenance. Then your friends start wondering where you went...

chuckles

Postby chuckles » Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:51 am UTC

I have to say, I have a degree in computer science and have been a software engineer my whole working life. I am all about open source software and everything it stands for, and I develop on linux both at work and on personal projects.

All that said, I tried to set up my desktop PC as a Linux machine several years ago. I never got it the way I wanted it. I now have a mac, and for the most part am very happy with it.

To those who use linux as their primary os on their own machine, more power to them. I have mostly thought of it as a great server os since that experience.

It has been a while, though, since I went down that road. I am curious, since I now have an intel-powered macbook, if there is a distro that is especially well suited to "just work" on these. I would think it would stand to reason that since intel macbooks are so popular (especially with geeks) and so uniform in terms of their hardware, this should be a really easy hardware configuration to fully support. Maybe even as well as Apple's own OS supports it. Anyone know?

kriel

Postby kriel » Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:52 am UTC

Note: This only happens if you have enough sparetime to go through the proper larval stage. Otherwise, you could just end up like me.

Maaaan, I like linux, but it's too hard to learn everything at once.
Meh. I'll give it another shot.

-2 weeks later... either something breaks, I don't have enough patience / time to get something working right, or I get hooked on something that I can't get working in wine-
Oops. back to windowsland. Sooner or later, I'll get into linux.

Though. With my nix-based web server, I'm at least getting _some_ continual exposure to it.

(common thought when I'm doing something on commandline.)
ls. doh. dir.
goddamnit, why can't dos (or XP's hacked down version of it) have an ls command?

stormoftara

Postby stormoftara » Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:55 am UTC

True story: My boyfriend has Linux. He also has Windows on the same computer. I told him I wanted to look up something on his computer, so he tried to boot up Linux. Let's just say I went and got my broken computer to boot up faster than Linux. He had to type in all these commands. It was really scary. Eventually he gave up and just logged into Windows. The lesson here? If you have to fix it to make it work, it isn't working to begin with. He still keeps trying to convert me to Linux anyway. :|

Edit: I forgot another thing about Linux. After my boyfriend got his computer running and was putting in code or something, I was looking at what he was typing in, and typed in something like "Get apt install cheese" And it worked. Cheese is a program name WTF. Of course now my boyfriend thinks I understand Linux magically and wants me to use it even more. NOOOOOOOOOOOO EVIL
Last edited by stormoftara on Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:05 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

kriel

Postby kriel » Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:56 am UTC

I was gonna make this an edit, but since this is a new thread, I'd get ninja'd about eight times since I last posted, so I figured I'd just make it a new post.

EDIT: After reading the latter half of the thread so far.

Ubuntu... Uh. Really isn't linux. At least, it dosen't teach you much about the nitty-gritty, nor does it require you to have a good foundation of how to actually do stuff. They've done a very, very good job of sanding down all the sharp corners, and it just kind of works for 90% of stuff. And if it dosen't, usually there's a nice little walkthrough online.

Seriously, though. If you want to say you use linux, go download a gentoo disk, and then get a working web server going. Then I'll grant you the title of 'linux user.'

bethelmark

Postby bethelmark » Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:57 am UTC

TheHand wrote:I've contemplated linux for a while, but I must admit, this comic doesn't exactly push me in that direction. :)

Same with me. I've gotten fed up with Vista several times for randomly doing things I don't want (such as shutting down unexpectedly), but at least I know I can eventually get it to do what I want, just because I've used Windows for so long and can figure out where everything is. I'd have no idea where to even start with Linux.

WatersOfOblivion

Postby WatersOfOblivion » Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:58 am UTC

Ah, yes. Fond memories of my first Linux install: RedHat 2.1 (yes, that is the correct version number) ... It took me three months to get eth0 working ...

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:02 am UTC

kriel wrote:ls. doh. dir.
goddamnit, why can't dos (or XP's hacked down version of it) have an ls command?

Cygwin. I practically live in it, when I have to use Windows for something.

Though, I wouldn't refer to XP's command line as a hacked-down version of DOS... cmd is a lot more powerful than command.com ever was... it's just not as good as bash with a full set of POSIX tools.

Also: I'm totally in control of my linux-tinkering... I can give it up whenever I want. I just don't want to right now.

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

Yuffie

Postby Yuffie » Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:03 am UTC

Haha, GRUB still doesn't work for me.

Although, for me Ubuntu has been the most pain of any Linux OS to use...I've tried Slackware and Mepis, both got me working Internets faster than Ubuntu.
Spoiler:
ImageImageImageImageImageRawr.

smartalco

Postby smartalco » Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:07 am UTC

chuckles wrote:It has been a while, though, since I went down that road. I am curious, since I now have an intel-powered macbook, if there is a distro that is especially well suited to "just work" on these. I would think it would stand to reason that since intel macbooks are so popular (especially with geeks) and so uniform in terms of their hardware, this should be a really easy hardware configuration to fully support. Maybe even as well as Apple's own OS supports it. Anyone know?

Ubuntu. Hell, I got the Breezy Badger live CD to work on my PB G4 and it recognized everything but the wireless card with nearly no setup (never installed it, my PB only has an 80gb HD, not enough room for 2 OS's and accompanying stuff, and I'm not just wiping OS X and starting anew in nix)

krynd

Postby krynd » Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:08 am UTC

Dear Randall:
I would highly appreciate it if you would kindly remove yourself from my intracranial region.

I've unfortunately done this without regard for the end user. Remember folks: what works for you doesn't work for everyone, even if it is Ubuntu. When your friend/relative asks "what's a config file?", and you end up going to their house for 3 hours to fix it: that's when you know you're doing it wrong.

Just get them a Mac, and save yourself some trouble. It's not like you even have an excuse anymore. Yes, piracy is wrong, but in the interest of keeping people sane (especially those who can't afford to spend days in their basement like me), I imagine Mr. Jobs will make an allowance.

No, I'm not really into Pokemon.
Dangermouse wrote:I hope this doesn't mirror too much of what you've read--and btw, you should read less and do more. No one takes good pictures or runs a marathon sitting on their couch surfing the internet.

WCG xkcd team

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”