0460: "Paleontology"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

User avatar
joee
Posts: 227
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:53 am UTC

0460: "Paleontology"

Postby joee » Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:01 am UTC

Image

http://xkcd.com/460/

Alt-text: Dinosaurs totally jumped the ichthyosaur when they got rid of Brontosaurus.

*groan* at pun.
Hi glasnt.

User avatar
nyeguy
Posts: 580
Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2007 5:59 pm UTC

Re: "Paleontology" Discussion

Postby nyeguy » Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:02 am UTC

Haha, I love when comics serve no purpose but to lead up to bad puns.
Image

User avatar
eleniy86
Posts: 45
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:51 am UTC

Re: "Paleontology" Discussion

Postby eleniy86 » Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:04 am UTC

holy shit, 15 years already? damn....that's 3/4 of my life right there lol

and yea, if it weren't for Jurassic Park, dinosaurs would still be the boring things at the museums.

GodShapedBullet
Posts: 686
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:59 pm UTC
Location: Delaware
Contact:

Re: "Paleontology" Discussion

Postby GodShapedBullet » Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:06 am UTC

eleniy86 wrote:holy shit, 15 years already? damn....that's 3/4 of my life right there lol

and yea, if it weren't for Jurassic Park, dinosaurs would still be the boring things at the museums.


Dinosaurs were cool way before Jurassic Park. I know most of my life has been Post-Jurassic, but I know they were cool before it. Otherwise why would Land Before Time have been so popular?

sje46
Posts: 4730
Joined: Wed May 14, 2008 4:41 am UTC
Location: New Hampshire

Re: "Paleontology" Discussion

Postby sje46 » Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:08 am UTC

Wow. Is this the first pun on XKCD?
I'm probably wrong.
General_Norris: Taking pride in your nation is taking pride in the division of humanity.
Pirate.Bondage: Let's get married. Right now.

User avatar
Steve the Pocket
Posts: 704
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:02 am UTC
Location: Going downtuuu in a Luleelurah!

Re: "Paleontology" Discussion

Postby Steve the Pocket » Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:08 am UTC

nyeguy wrote:Haha, I love when comics serve no purpose but to lead up to bad puns.

Especially when the lead-up dialogue is actually insightful. They used to do this in Ozy and Millie, and I miss it.
cephalopod9 wrote:Only on Xkcd can you start a topic involving Hitler and people spend the better part of half a dozen pages arguing about the quality of Operating Systems.

Baige.

User avatar
Timequake
Posts: 108
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:35 pm UTC
Location: Everywhere.
Contact:

Re: "Paleontology" Discussion

Postby Timequake » Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:12 am UTC

sje46 wrote:Wow. Is this the first pun on XKCD?
I'm probably wrong.

The previous comic was a pun on the term "holy ghost".
And this comic is bringing back all sorts of memories about the dinosaurs over which i spent much of my childhood obsessing, both before and after seeing Jurassic Park.
GENERATION -i: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum. Square it, and then add i to the generation.

sje46
Posts: 4730
Joined: Wed May 14, 2008 4:41 am UTC
Location: New Hampshire

Re: "Paleontology" Discussion

Postby sje46 » Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:15 am UTC

Timequake wrote:
sje46 wrote:Wow. Is this the first pun on XKCD?
I'm probably wrong.

The previous comic was a pun on the term "holy ghost".
And this comic is bringing back all sorts of memories about the dinosaurs over which i spent much of my childhood obsessing, both before and after seeing Jurassic Park.

I feel dumb.
General_Norris: Taking pride in your nation is taking pride in the division of humanity.
Pirate.Bondage: Let's get married. Right now.

thebandit
Posts: 91
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:09 am UTC
Location: Sacramento

Re: "Paleontology" Discussion

Postby thebandit » Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:17 am UTC

sje46 wrote:Wow. Is this the first pun on XKCD?
I'm probably wrong.


http://xkcd.com/151/
http://xkcd.com/321/
http://xkcd.com/376/
http://xkcd.com/398/
http://xkcd.com/410/

There are probably many more.

Megatriorchis
Posts: 386
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:41 am UTC
Location: Hothlanta

Re: "Paleontology" Discussion

Postby Megatriorchis » Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:21 am UTC

Dinosaurs are so indie.
The Humanity for the Undead Coalition: Bringing Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness to the Undead and Other Supernatural Humanoids. Zombies don't eat people; people eat people!

User avatar
TheHand
Posts: 178
Joined: Mon May 05, 2008 8:03 am UTC

Re: "Paleontology" Discussion

Postby TheHand » Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:22 am UTC

Man, XKCD has totally sold out now that it's mainstream. ;)

User avatar
VoxDraconae
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:12 am UTC

Re: "Paleontology" Discussion

Postby VoxDraconae » Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:22 am UTC

GodShapedBullet wrote:
eleniy86 wrote:holy shit, 15 years already? damn....that's 3/4 of my life right there lol

and yea, if it weren't for Jurassic Park, dinosaurs would still be the boring things at the museums.


Dinosaurs were cool way before Jurassic Park. I know most of my life has been Post-Jurassic, but I know they were cool before it. Otherwise why would Land Before Time have been so popular?


unless you've stumbled on some ancient secret and for some incredible reason are NOT capitalizing on it, im pretty sure ALL of your life has been post-jurassic.

just sayin'

on another note, this comic hits a little personal- i got my BA in Anthropology, and you have no idea how many times i've had to explain to college educated people that archaeology and paleontology are NOT THE SAME THING. and yes, i know i spell archaeology like the british. i spell theatre that way, too.

User avatar
madhollywood
Posts: 69
Joined: Thu May 15, 2008 12:13 am UTC

Re: "Paleontology" Discussion

Postby madhollywood » Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:23 am UTC

A rare pun on XKCD.... "Clever girl!."

Man, I have been into Dinosaurs since Kindergarten although surely it was reinforced by the movie. I can't believe Jurassic Park was so long ago.

User avatar
bebemangeur
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 3:29 am UTC

Re: "Paleontology" Discussion

Postby bebemangeur » Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:33 am UTC

So I just had one of the biggest nostalgia moments of life from alt-text, dammit there is no apatosaurus. Something else quite suspicious, the spell check won't accept apatosaurus as a word and brontosaurus is number one on the list of suggested spellings, I wonder who's responsible for this one...

User avatar
pyroman
Posts: 346
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:35 am UTC
Location: University at Buffalo
Contact:

Re: "Paleontology" Discussion

Postby pyroman » Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:33 am UTC

Megatriorchis wrote:Dinosaur <STRIKE>are</STRIKE> were so indie.


FIXED = D

on a side note... 15 years ago? dam i'm getting old

**edit woot! 100 posts! = D
Last edited by pyroman on Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:28 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin

User avatar
Cryopyre
Posts: 701
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:00 am UTC
Location: A desert

Re: "Paleontology" Discussion

Postby Cryopyre » Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:37 am UTC

Someone forgot the "Cuz he made the trains run on THYME!" pun. And that was my favourite.

Here it is http://xkcd.com/282/
Felstaff wrote:I actually see what religion is to social, economical and perhaps political progress in a similar way to what war is to technological progress.

Gunfingers wrote:Voting is the power to speak your mind. You, apparently, had nothing to say.

User avatar
You, sir, name?
Posts: 6983
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:07 am UTC
Location: Chako Paul City
Contact:

Re: "Paleontology" Discussion

Postby You, sir, name? » Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:39 am UTC

TheHand wrote:Man, XKCD has totally sold out now that it's mainstream. ;)


Yeah! Let's just read the first 50 panels every Monday, Wednesday and Friday, over and over again. That's hardcore! ;)
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

User avatar
hideki101
Posts: 342
Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 5:50 pm UTC
Location: everywhere and nowhere

Re: "Paleontology" Discussion

Postby hideki101 » Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:42 am UTC

thebandit wrote:
sje46 wrote:Wow. Is this the first pun on XKCD?
I'm probably wrong.


http://xkcd.com/151/
http://xkcd.com/321/
http://xkcd.com/376/
http://xkcd.com/398/
http://xkcd.com/410/

There are probably many more.

You forgot the biggest:
http://xkcd.com/341/<--start here
http://xkcd.com/342/
http://xkcd.com/343/
http://xkcd.com/344/
http://xkcd.com/345/ :D
Albert Einistein wrote:"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

User avatar
moxmallow
Posts: 62
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:24 pm UTC

Re: "Paleontology" Discussion

Postby moxmallow » Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:42 am UTC

I used to have a shirt very similar to this:
Spoiler:
Image

when I was about 6. Got it from some museum or another. It was Post-Jurassic Park of course (movie came out when I was about 4 or 5), but the interest still came about because of my inherent nerd-ness, not solely from the movie.
Still one of my favorite movies of all time :)
Kalos wrote:Big O notation, because despite having 26 english letters, 24 greek letters, and the ability to make up symbols, we STILL choose the one letter easiest confused with a zero

sje46
Posts: 4730
Joined: Wed May 14, 2008 4:41 am UTC
Location: New Hampshire

Re: "Paleontology" Discussion

Postby sje46 » Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:47 am UTC

bebemangeur wrote:So I just had one of the biggest nostalgia moments of life from alt-text, dammit there is no apatosaurus. Something else quite suspicious, the spell check won't accept apatosaurus as a word and brontosaurus is number one on the list of suggested spellings, I wonder who's responsible for this one...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apatosaurus

I thought everry body knew that they were the same thing.

Or maybe I was just a geeky little child.
General_Norris: Taking pride in your nation is taking pride in the division of humanity.
Pirate.Bondage: Let's get married. Right now.

stormoftara
Posts: 84
Joined: Wed May 14, 2008 7:20 am UTC

Re: "Paleontology" Discussion

Postby stormoftara » Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:09 am UTC

I can't believe Jurassic Park has been out for so long...I remember seeing it when it first came out. Now I feel old and I'm only 22ish.


Also, dinosaur jokes are always FTW. They will never get old. XD

shadowboy
Posts: 26
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:47 pm UTC
Location: Tampa, FL

Re: "Paleontology" Discussion

Postby shadowboy » Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:15 am UTC

I love the subtle pun.

sje46
Posts: 4730
Joined: Wed May 14, 2008 4:41 am UTC
Location: New Hampshire

Re: "Paleontology" Discussion

Postby sje46 » Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:19 am UTC

stormoftara wrote:I can't believe Jurassic Park has been out for so long...I remember seeing it when it first came out. Now I feel old and I'm only 22ish.


Also, dinosaur jokes are always FTW. They will never get old. XD

Okay. I'm serious.

What is that abbreviation? How come I don't know what it is yet? I keep thinking it's "F$@! the world" but I don't know why. I should just look it up on the computerwebitubes.

EDIT:
It's "For the Win."
Last edited by sje46 on Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:22 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
General_Norris: Taking pride in your nation is taking pride in the division of humanity.
Pirate.Bondage: Let's get married. Right now.

stormoftara
Posts: 84
Joined: Wed May 14, 2008 7:20 am UTC

Re: "Paleontology" Discussion

Postby stormoftara » Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:21 am UTC

sje46 wrote:
stormoftara wrote:I can't believe Jurassic Park has been out for so long...I remember seeing it when it first came out. Now I feel old and I'm only 22ish.


Also, dinosaur jokes are always FTW. They will never get old. XD

Okay. I'm serious.

What is that abbreviation? How come I don't know what it is yet? I keep thinking it's "F$@! the world" but I don't know why. I should just look it up on the computerwebitubes.

It means "for the win". Don't worry I have to explain it a lot. I blame all the kids on the forum I'm a moderator on for me using it...they have polluted my mind. Wow that sentence seems to have too many words. I'm too tired haha...
Last edited by stormoftara on Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:23 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

sje46
Posts: 4730
Joined: Wed May 14, 2008 4:41 am UTC
Location: New Hampshire

Re: "Paleontology" Discussion

Postby sje46 » Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:23 am UTC

stormoftara wrote:
sje46 wrote:
stormoftara wrote:I can't believe Jurassic Park has been out for so long...I remember seeing it when it first came out. Now I feel old and I'm only 22ish.


Also, dinosaur jokes are always FTW. They will never get old. XD

Okay. I'm serious.

What is that abbreviation? How come I don't know what it is yet? I keep thinking it's "F$@! the world" but I don't know why. I should just look it up on the computerwebitubes.

It means "for the win". Don't worry I have to explain it a lot. I blame all the kids on the forum I moderate for using it...they have polluted my mind.

Thank you.
Now what does XD mean?
Spoiler:
Kidding
General_Norris: Taking pride in your nation is taking pride in the division of humanity.
Pirate.Bondage: Let's get married. Right now.

shadowboy
Posts: 26
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:47 pm UTC
Location: Tampa, FL

Re: "Paleontology" Discussion

Postby shadowboy » Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:27 am UTC

thebandit wrote:
sje46 wrote:Wow. Is this the first pun on XKCD?
I'm probably wrong.


http://xkcd.com/151/
http://xkcd.com/321/
http://xkcd.com/376/
http://xkcd.com/398/
http://xkcd.com/410/

There are probably many more.


http://xkcd.com/138/
http://xkcd.com/184/

These come to the top of my head.

User avatar
kurennia
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:51 am UTC
Location: The Sprawl

Re: "Paleontology" Discussion

Postby kurennia » Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:28 am UTC

sje46 wrote:Now what does XD mean?

Clearly, “extra dinosaur”.

Code: Select all

$ cat .signature

User avatar
laranzu
Posts: 104
Joined: Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:21 pm UTC
Location: Physical: Canberra, Australia
Contact:

Re: "Paleontology" Discussion

Postby laranzu » Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:30 am UTC

Typo check: shouldn't that be acrocanthosaur teeth, not arcocanthosaur?

(Hey, I'm not normally a spellchecker, but dinosaurs are important, damnit!)

Cooley
Posts: 398
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:53 am UTC
Location: Hemet, California
Contact:

Re: "Paleontology" Discussion

Postby Cooley » Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:31 am UTC

Oh man... I'm not sure to laugh because of the pun, or in spite of it.

User avatar
phlip
Restorer of Worlds
Posts: 7569
Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2006 3:56 am UTC
Location: Australia
Contact:

Re: "Paleontology" Discussion

Postby phlip » Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:44 am UTC

Cooley wrote:Oh man... I'm not sure to laugh because of the pun, or in spite of it.

Can't it be both? That's what I'm doing...

bebemangeur wrote:Something else quite suspicious, the spell check won't accept apatosaurus as a word and brontosaurus is number one on the list of suggested spellings

My spell checker won't accept "apatosaurus" either, though it doesn't suggest "brontosaurus"...

Code: Select all

@(#) International Ispell Version 3.1.20 (but really Aspell 0.60.5)
apatosaurus
& apatosaurus 37 0: patisseries, pterosaurs, apertures, pastures, postures, Arcturus, patisserie's, patsies, rapturous, upstairs, apostates, Appaloosas, appaloosas, aperture's, apposes, assures, uproars, apostate's, Appaloosa's, captures, pasture's, posture's, raptures, Amaterasu's, uproar's, apostasy's, Peterus, appeasers, Astaire's, actuary's, impostures, appeaser's, pastry's, applesauce's, rapture's, Arturo's, imposture's

brontosaurus
*

Though, "apatosaurus" does sound like the sort of dinosaur who would work in a patisserie... totally not impressive at all.

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

User avatar
princessdiz
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:58 am UTC
Location: In the Middle of the Ocean...on land of course

So O/T it isn't funny

Postby princessdiz » Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:50 am UTC

kurennia wrote:
sje46 wrote:Now what does XD mean?

Clearly, “extra dinosaur”.

So O/T

hehe it could but in the urban dictionary it means a big smile or super happy or another version of lol depending on which definition you use.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/

I use it daily. I even get the "word of the day" sent to my reader.. :)

User avatar
linguistic
Posts: 84
Joined: Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:16 am UTC

Re: "Paleontology" Discussion

Postby linguistic » Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:55 am UTC

phlip wrote:Though, "apatosaurus" does sound like the sort of dinosaur who would work in a patisserie... totally not impressive at all.



Spoken like someone who doesn't have the necessary appreciation for baked goods!
Son of a bit!

User avatar
phlip
Restorer of Worlds
Posts: 7569
Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2006 3:56 am UTC
Location: Australia
Contact:

Re: "Paleontology" Discussion

Postby phlip » Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:10 am UTC

Oh, I have plenty of appreciation for the humble patissier, I'm just saying that the profession hardly has the death-dealing wouldn't-want-to-meet-in-a-back-alley-oh-and-by-the-way-I've-torn-your-intestines-out toughness that the dinosaurs are famed for...

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

User avatar
Drake Zure
Posts: 163
Joined: Fri May 18, 2007 2:57 am UTC
Location: Everywhere, nowhere, it's all very abstract...

Re: "Paleontology" Discussion

Postby Drake Zure » Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:30 am UTC

That shirt has my favorite dinosaur on it! Compsognathus! (I probably spelled that wrong, it's been so long since I had to spell it.)
benjhuey wrote:
IceMod wrote:The fingers did surprise me though.

That's what SHE said.
And then she left. I wonder why...

User avatar
xquared
Posts: 32
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2007 4:03 am UTC
Location: canada, but would like to be in the town of Fucking
Contact:

Re: "Paleontology" Discussion

Postby xquared » Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:32 am UTC

now, we need a t-shirt that says "i was into dinosaurs when they were underground"
X_x² ... ò_Ô

User avatar
lysandra
Posts: 99
Joined: Fri Nov 09, 2007 6:36 am UTC
Contact:

Re: "Paleontology" Discussion

Postby lysandra » Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:43 am UTC

Puns always make me cringe and this was no exception.

sje46
Posts: 4730
Joined: Wed May 14, 2008 4:41 am UTC
Location: New Hampshire

Re: So O/T it isn't funny

Postby sje46 » Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:44 am UTC

princessdiz wrote:
kurennia wrote:
sje46 wrote:Now what does XD mean?

Clearly, “extra dinosaur”.

So O/T

hehe it could but in the urban dictionary it means a big smile or super happy or another version of lol depending on which definition you use.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/

I use it daily. I even get the "word of the day" sent to my reader.. :)

Thanks, princess, but if you looked at that original post, you'd see that I was kidding when I asked what XD meant.

However, oddly, I did wnat to see what urbandictionary had to say about XD right after I posted that post. I go on urbandictionary sometimes for entertainment, because EVERYbody there hates EVERYthing.

Also, I actually had to check what O/T meant.
laranzu wrote:Typo check: shouldn't that be acrocanthosaur teeth, not arcocanthosaur?

(Hey, I'm not normally a spellchecker, but dinosaurs are important, damnit!)

Umm, aren't those identical spellings?
General_Norris: Taking pride in your nation is taking pride in the division of humanity.
Pirate.Bondage: Let's get married. Right now.

User avatar
lysandra
Posts: 99
Joined: Fri Nov 09, 2007 6:36 am UTC
Contact:

Re: "Paleontology" Discussion

Postby lysandra » Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:44 am UTC

xquared wrote:now, we need a t-shirt that says "i was into dinosaurs when they were underground"


Yeah, that would make a good shirt.

ThemePark
Posts: 450
Joined: Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:42 pm UTC
Location: Århus, Denmark

Re: "Paleontology" Discussion

Postby ThemePark » Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:45 am UTC

I'll come right out and say that I've never been very interested or knowledgable of dinosaurs. I've heard of a few of them, but that's it. So...

would someone mind explaining why this bad pun is in fact a pun? There's usually always one person who doesn't get the comic, and today I guess that has to be me. :oops:

@sje46: Nope, one says arco, another acro. Hard to tell with all those letters though. :)
I have traveled from 1979 to be a member of the unofficial board Council of Elders. Phear M3

User avatar
lysandra
Posts: 99
Joined: Fri Nov 09, 2007 6:36 am UTC
Contact:

Re: So O/T it isn't funny

Postby lysandra » Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:48 am UTC

sje46 wrote:
laranzu wrote:Typo check: shouldn't that be acrocanthosaur teeth, not arcocanthosaur?

(Hey, I'm not normally a spellchecker, but dinosaurs are important, damnit!)

Umm, aren't those identical spellings?


no, the second and third letters are swapped


Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: orthogon and 76 guests