0471: "Aversion Fads"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

LupusGrey
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:44 am UTC

Re: "Aversion Fads" Discussion

Postby LupusGrey » Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:36 pm UTC

Sprocket wrote:So, hating furries..bad. Hating emo kids...ok? I'm sensing contradiction...damn it XKCD, I need a new religion now!


Hate emo-furries. We do too.:-P

User avatar
SJ Zero
Posts: 740
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:10 pm UTC
Contact:

Re: "Aversion Fads" Discussion

Postby SJ Zero » Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:42 pm UTC

LupusGrey wrote:
Sprocket wrote:So, hating furries..bad. Hating emo kids...ok? I'm sensing contradiction...damn it XKCD, I need a new religion now!


Hate emo-furries. We do too.:-P


Do emo-furries cut their costumes, just to see if they can still feel?

User avatar
Sprocket
Seymour
Posts: 5951
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:04 pm UTC
Location: impaled on Beck's boney hips.
Contact:

Re: "Aversion Fads" Discussion

Postby Sprocket » Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:44 pm UTC

....I gotta say that's pretty funny. Awful of course, but funny.
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

pegasos989
Posts: 52
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:14 am UTC

Re: "Aversion Fads" Discussion

Postby pegasos989 » Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:50 pm UTC

SJ Zero wrote:We're not talking about "The Internet", we're talking about /b/, the most racist, sexist, homophobic, offensive, at times downright criminal page on the entire Internet.


Wait, what?

/b/ is racist to the extent that people say "Niggers sure like watermelons, huh?". It doesn't really go further than that.
/b/ is sexist to the exent that people say "Wimin should go back to the kitchen! Oh, wait, one camwhore hinted she might show us a nipple!!! Let's worship her!".
/b/ is homophobic? Wait... Have you even seen the numerous Bill Kaulitz threads? You do realize why (mostly male) people want his pictures, right?
/b/ is as offensive as your average junior high kid. Repeating the same phrases he heard some other kid say.
And what comes to downright criminal... No. Occasional, quickly deleted CP picture is about as far as it goes.

/b/ really isn't any of that. Even less so if talking specifically about 4chan /b/. Hell, the cruelest joke I remember in a while is flooding the epilepsy forums with flashing images. There have been very few even comparable occasions lately.

There are a LOT worse communities all around the net.

User avatar
Armaina
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:06 pm UTC
Location: Arizona
Contact:

Re: "Aversion Fads" Discussion

Postby Armaina » Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:51 pm UTC

SJ Zero wrote:
LupusGrey wrote:Hate emo-furries. We do too.:-P

Do emo-furries cut their costumes, just to see if they can still feel?

hahahahaha! I think I'm finding this way more funny than I should

User avatar
SJ Zero
Posts: 740
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:10 pm UTC
Contact:

Re: "Aversion Fads" Discussion

Postby SJ Zero » Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:53 pm UTC

Ok, fair enough. They TRY to be the most racist, sexist, homophobic, offensive, at times downright criminal page on the entire Internet they need to be for optimal amounts of lulz.

pegasos989
Posts: 52
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:14 am UTC

Re: "Aversion Fads" Discussion

Postby pegasos989 » Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:01 pm UTC

SJ Zero wrote:Ok, fair enough. They TRY to be the most racist, sexist, homophobic, offensive, at times downright criminal page on the entire Internet they need to be for optimal amounts of lulz.


Now it sounds more like it. :) And sure, your original point still holds true (that going there and expecting not to get flamed is silly)

User avatar
FourLetterWord
Posts: 114
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:52 am UTC

Re: "Aversion Fads" Discussion

Postby FourLetterWord » Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:10 pm UTC

SJ Zero wrote:Ok, fair enough. They TRY to be the most racist, sexist, homophobic, offensive, at times downright criminal page on the entire Internet they need to be for optimal amounts of lulz.


they aren't going for lulz, they're going for that brief spark of recognition that happens when something you've said or done takes off

each and every /b/ poster wants very badly to start the next shoop da woop--notice how much of what /b/ does isn't actually trying to be funny? say, attacking scientology, a cult that definitely has it coming--it's worth doing but it ain't exactly the lol capital of the internet

zahlman
Posts: 638
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:15 pm UTC

Re: "Aversion Fads" Discussion

Postby zahlman » Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:15 pm UTC

ikesuke wrote:
HistidineTheCat wrote:Hm.. from what I heard from a furry convention, it wasn't a place you would take your kids! Though I admit that is second-hand info.


In my experience, you won't find more polite and respectful people than those at furry cons. Contrast them with the big chunk of anime con attendees who have no concept of personal space or sanitation. (Ever been glomped? Or slapped with a yaoi paddle?)


Hi, anime convention staffer here. I will certainly agree from personal experience that yaoi fangirls can be very, very annoying. But you're not realistically going to get glomped or slapped if your convention has appropriate rules, and the staff / security /spec ops / whatever are competent.

I think you missed the point, though. The person you're quoting was alluding to the meme of furries being hyper-sexual. Which is nonsense, of course.

Tanuki wrote:
vodka.cobra wrote:Never heard it called that before, but I understand the underlying fallacy. However, the point was being missed!


It's the fact that you said a thing - "sissies on estrogen" - and then went on to redefine it from what others would normally interpret that phrase as describing to include your original conclusion as a premise. That's the "No True Scotsman".


For what it's worth, he went on to define it as exactly what I would have interpreted it as.

To be "on" a chemical means that you're deliberately taking it, whatever amount of it is naturally produced in your body. It's known that the sex hormones have an influence on behaviour (many women's sex drives have been improved by careful dosages of testosterone, after all). The clear intent was to invoke the image of already naturally "sissy acting" people (notice "acting like sissies on estrogen") driven further in that direction by chemical aid.

I am not aware of the word "sissy" being exclusively applicable to males. If it is, perhaps y'all would be kind enough to suggest an alternative adjective to describe that sort of behaviour.

Felltir wrote:I don't like the fact that you're classing males on oestrogen as less. Trans-people will kill you!


He's not doing anything of the sort. He's (if I may borrow and paraphrase your UK English to the best of my ability) classing whingers on oestrogen as more whingy.

rootdown wrote:4channers are stupid motherfuckers by definition.


No. 4channers adopt a stupid-motherfucker persona for the purpose of posting to /b/. You don't have to believe something to say it on the internet. Many of us are quite normal in our everyday lives.

It's kind of, you know, just like having a fur fetish. Except it's a fetish for seeing if you can get a complete stranger to take a ludicrous idea seriously, and/or offend purely for the sake of offending.

FourLetterWord wrote:
vodka.cobra wrote: If they remain apathetic, I leave them alone. There are easier laughs out there.


you say that like you got an algorithm for trolling and the people who rank high get trolled, but again, that's obviously not the case

not to put too fine a point on it, but generally guys like you don't make fun of furries because "man they'll get so riled up", you do it because "let's get those fuckers" or because "holy shit those guys are weird"


How would you know (a) that he's a "guy like them" or (b) what "guys like them" are actually thinking?

FourLetterWord wrote:also you guys are gonna get like 8000 furries in here talking about the comic / thanking randall for it i hope youre happy


But... but... that's not over 9000 :(

Griffin wrote:Those groups the "mainstream" most want to exclude generally tend to be the most inclusive groups you can find. Furries, Hippies... both of them are not exactly difficult subcultures to break into. Is it the poor quality control aspect of this lifestyle that leads to their being targeted? (anyone can call themselves one, and most already involved would be hesitant to disagree?) Or is there some appeal to excluding inclusive groups?


I suspect it has to do with a lot of people rejecting the idea of being implicitly "included" in what are supposed to be "fringe" groups, and being irked as a result. A furry friend of mine was once like "you should be a furry; let's pick your spirit animal" and I internally I was like "*sigh* I guess I pretty much have to just go along with this".

LupusGrey wrote:But then calling some a fag on /b/ is almost like being accepted. As much as one can ever be accepted on /b/.
But really, I enjoy trolling furry haters on /b/ by throwing more yiff at them. And then there are probably other trolls trying to troll them. /b/ is often trolls trolling trolls trolling trolls.


Indeed.

I'm a fan of image macros picturing a non-furry making some gesture, with the caption "yiff!" They make me lol for a non-understood, probably very immature reason.

william wrote:Whenever homosexuality comes up in a conversation, someone often says something like "I don't mind people being gay, but they shouldn't throw their homosexuality in our faces." The counter to that, coming from a quick-thinking gay person is "I don't mind people being straight, but they shouldn't throw their heterosexuality in our faces."


People who say this kind of thing are not considering that they throw heterosexuality in others' faces to nearly the same extent. Whether or not that is true in any particular case...

william wrote:
Hypnotoad2966 wrote:You know, my the difference between furries and other weird fetishes is the fact that just about everyone else is private with theirs. What people do in the privacy of their own homes.. or on the internet is fine with me. The only time I've run into furries in the wild(pardon the pun) was when I saw a group of 3 of them at Applebees watching fur videos on their laptop. That's just asking to be stared at and made fun of. Anyone who is that public with their fetish, any fetish, is just asking for trouble.

Why should people be private for their fetishes just to please you? Give me one good reason.


It's not to please Hypnotoad2966; it's to please the public. And the reason people should be private for their fetishes "just to please the public" is the same reason people should be private for their sexual activity "just to please the public": because it's an intrinsically private thing.

And I say that as someone into a fair number of BDSM-y things.

Abstruse wrote:The only tits at anime conventions are on the boys.


You are very, very wrong on that. 8)

FireZs wrote:It's also not what vodka.cobra was really saying.

vodka: "All you furries shouldn't get so pissed when we make fun of you."
others: "So if furries did nothing, you would stop making fun of them?"
vodka: "No, but it'd make my trolling them more enjoyable."


Um, I have no idea how you read that out of his posts. None at all.

There's a pretty easy way not to be made fun of on 4chan, BTW: don't go to 4chan. 4chan is for people who like to make fun of others for the hell of it ("for the lulz" as they say), and are willing to risk that someone else might try to make fun of them.
Belial wrote:I once had a series of undocumented and nonstandardized subjective experiences that indicated that anecdotal data is biased and unreliable.

User avatar
FourLetterWord
Posts: 114
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:52 am UTC

Re: "Aversion Fads" Discussion

Postby FourLetterWord » Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:19 pm UTC

mr gorbachev tear down this textwall

for a more content-y reply, i know it the same way i know anything else about how people act. i'd be happy to explain my reasoning on this one in a more point-by-point basis in a pm or what have you, but i think all you were doing was testing me to see if i knew wtf i was talking about, so i figure the offer itself will probably be enough. still, if you want the details, i'm happy to oblige :P

bersl2
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:31 am UTC
Location: New Orleans, LA

Re: "Aversion Fads" Discussion

Postby bersl2 » Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:19 pm UTC

Whoa, there's so much discussion to catch up on, so I'm just going to post a bunch of things that seem relevant:

0. Mephit Furmeet was pretty cool. Because of the way my socialization works, I needed to have done much more preparation beforehand to have better taken advantage of the opportunity, but it was still rather fun, even if I did worry about Hurricane Gustav rather often.

1. 4chan are trolls by nature. Logic does not work on them. Ignore them and they will eventually get bored and go away. But being a furry on /b/ drives them nuts, so all furries should post there for great lulz.

2. racoonjwoolsey: Tirrel/Cerberus is awesome. And so are raccoons. :D That is all.

3. An interesting anecdote: For whatever reason, I have a love/hate relationship with the subset of the fandom that is interested in depicting snuff; I will search these pictures and stories out, and then I will become angry, so angry that I imagine myself bursting into the scene and dispensing my own justice upon the killers and the victims-to-be.

First, I observe that my reaction is to a wholly fictional situation and set of characters. Then, I observe that my reaction is not unlike that of the "KILL IT WITH FIRE" furry haters.

Discuss.

n. I <3 this comic soooooo much!

pegasos989
Posts: 52
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:14 am UTC

Re: "Aversion Fads" Discussion

Postby pegasos989 » Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:38 pm UTC

bersl2 wrote:3. An interesting anecdote: For whatever reason, I have a love/hate relationship with the subset of the fandom that is interested in depicting snuff; I will search these pictures and stories out, and then I will become angry, so angry that I imagine myself bursting into the scene and dispensing my own justice upon the killers and the victims-to-be.

First, I observe that my reaction is to a wholly fictional situation and set of characters. Then, I observe that my reaction is not unlike that of the "KILL IT WITH FIRE" furry haters.

Discuss.


Well...

I feel physically disgusted just from hearing that.

That said, I know I shouldn't. I have a few fantasies that also would fit the criteria: The concepts kinda make me disgusted but playing with them on purely fictional level is nice.

I don't know what else to discuss about that. O_O

User avatar
FourLetterWord
Posts: 114
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:52 am UTC

Re: "Aversion Fads" Discussion

Postby FourLetterWord » Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:04 pm UTC

yeah, i feel the same way

sometimes shit just triggers a gut-level emotional response when it treads in the realm of instinct, and gory stuff definitely fits that criterion

User avatar
Yuri2356
Posts: 729
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2007 1:00 pm UTC

Re: "Aversion Fads" Discussion

Postby Yuri2356 » Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:07 pm UTC

Jebobek wrote:
SJ Zero wrote:You're overthinking it, by far.

I'd say the thought process is more like "I like girls, I like seeing girls having fun, I don't like men, so seeing girls having fun with girls is preferable to seeing girls having fun with guys"


Why do guys like watching girls make out and girls don't like watching guys make out as much? I was overthinking it for that reason.

You don't know much about fan fiction, do you?

User avatar
felltir
has a sniper scope and a trigger finger.
Posts: 2493
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:01 pm UTC
Location: Back in't home town. Never at home.
Contact:

Re: "Aversion Fads" Discussion

Postby felltir » Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:11 pm UTC

I don't think I've ever seen something that squicks me. The worst I think is... "meh."
Spoiler:
RoadieRich wrote:He's a super flexible furry martial artist from London. She is a Rabbit breeding mad scientist from Michigan. They fight crime!
The Great Hippo wrote:I THINK THE SOLAR SYSTEM MIGHT BE AN ATOM OF OXYGEN.


Blog

he/him/his

NMcCoy
Posts: 390
Joined: Sun Jul 23, 2006 4:25 pm UTC
Location: Portland, OR

Re: "Aversion Fads" Discussion

Postby NMcCoy » Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:13 pm UTC

GreenReaper wrote:Now there's a thought - dragons and trains . . .

I believe you're looking for this. (SO VERY NSFW)


...*flees*
Image

User avatar
felltir
has a sniper scope and a trigger finger.
Posts: 2493
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:01 pm UTC
Location: Back in't home town. Never at home.
Contact:

Re: "Aversion Fads" Discussion

Postby felltir » Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:15 pm UTC

NMcCoy wrote:
GreenReaper wrote:Now there's a thought - dragons and trains . . .

I believe you're looking for this. (SO VERY NSFW)


...*flees*


Am not allowed to view it. Describe, or post and spoiler it.
Spoiler:
RoadieRich wrote:He's a super flexible furry martial artist from London. She is a Rabbit breeding mad scientist from Michigan. They fight crime!
The Great Hippo wrote:I THINK THE SOLAR SYSTEM MIGHT BE AN ATOM OF OXYGEN.


Blog

he/him/his

User avatar
MuToiD_MaN
Posts: 55
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:51 pm UTC
Location: Irvine, CA

Re: "Aversion Fads" Discussion

Postby MuToiD_MaN » Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:29 pm UTC

I think I'm going to continue to indiscriminately dislike furries if it's all the same to the rest of you.

(Never been to that /b/ place)
ĉiam veti sur Duke

User avatar
felltir
has a sniper scope and a trigger finger.
Posts: 2493
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:01 pm UTC
Location: Back in't home town. Never at home.
Contact:

Re: "Aversion Fads" Discussion

Postby felltir » Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:35 pm UTC

MuToiD_MaN wrote:I think I'm going to continue to indiscriminately dislike furries if it's all the same to the rest of you.

(Never been to that /b/ place)


Well, it's not the same to me.
Spoiler:
RoadieRich wrote:He's a super flexible furry martial artist from London. She is a Rabbit breeding mad scientist from Michigan. They fight crime!
The Great Hippo wrote:I THINK THE SOLAR SYSTEM MIGHT BE AN ATOM OF OXYGEN.


Blog

he/him/his

User avatar
lethesoda
Posts: 101
Joined: Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:33 pm UTC

Re: "Aversion Fads" Discussion

Postby lethesoda » Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:35 pm UTC

MuToiD_MaN wrote:I think I'm going to continue to indiscriminately dislike furries if it's all the same to the rest of you.

(Never been to that /b/ place)


Eh, but you've heard of something it popularized.
Image
Spoiler:
Trapdoors. They make a difference.
The difference between "I'm leaving you" and "ZOMG YOU'RE A NINJA SWEET *secks*" -Kazuke

User avatar
tobias104
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:05 pm UTC

Re: "Aversion Fads" Discussion

Postby tobias104 » Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:43 pm UTC

Felltir wrote:
NMcCoy wrote:
GreenReaper wrote:Now there's a thought - dragons and trains . . .

I believe you're looking for this. (SO VERY NSFW)


...*flees*


Am not allowed to view it. Describe, or post and spoiler it.


Killersquid
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:52 am UTC

Re: "Aversion Fads" Discussion

Postby Killersquid » Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:43 pm UTC

I don't mind furries, its just another fetish, but what really creeps me out are the otherkins (which are the insane part of furry fandom, according to the always awesome TV Tropes) , people who believe they are actually animals.

User avatar
felltir
has a sniper scope and a trigger finger.
Posts: 2493
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:01 pm UTC
Location: Back in't home town. Never at home.
Contact:

Re: "Aversion Fads" Discussion

Postby felltir » Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:50 pm UTC

tobias104 wrote:
Felltir wrote:
NMcCoy wrote:
GreenReaper wrote:Now there's a thought - dragons and trains . . .

I believe you're looking for this. (SO VERY NSFW)


...*flees*


Am not allowed to view it. Describe, or post and spoiler it.


Holy. Shit.
Spoiler:
RoadieRich wrote:He's a super flexible furry martial artist from London. She is a Rabbit breeding mad scientist from Michigan. They fight crime!
The Great Hippo wrote:I THINK THE SOLAR SYSTEM MIGHT BE AN ATOM OF OXYGEN.


Blog

he/him/his

luketheduke
Sour Kraut
Posts: 1105
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:56 pm UTC
Location: Where the Kraut's at

Re: "Aversion Fads" Discussion

Postby luketheduke » Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:52 pm UTC

I have to say - I feel disgusted that a significant proportion of the xkcd community feels compelled to continue making mean remarks about furries. Making mean remarks, justifying those mean remarks, presenting strawmen in order to do so.

Here of all places I expected to find people who can think abstractly. Can think about what causes discrimination, racism, gender inequality. Know what "group dynamics" and "peer pressure" mean on a basic level. Can connect the bits and pieces, can add 1 and 1 to 2.
Can realize that picking on furries is as bad as picking on any other minority. Can realize how it just shows your own weakness, your own idiocy, your own ignorance.

Maybe I am pathologically inclined to always side with the underdog; maybe I have been the underdog too often to be so sensitive about it; maybe, I would certainly hope so, this is all some weird kind of a metajoke. Or of an inside joke, and I am the only one left outside of it.

But I am currently at a loss towards explaining all the hate, prejudice, ignorance, and idiocy that presents itself to me here in this thread.

Some people here might have to carefully recalibrate their dick-o-meters.

I can see how others are arguing the "haters". Keep it up. I can't do that now.
As long as I know how to love / I know I'll stay alive /
'cause I've got all my life to live / and I've got all my love to give / and I'll survive /
I will survive

User avatar
felltir
has a sniper scope and a trigger finger.
Posts: 2493
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:01 pm UTC
Location: Back in't home town. Never at home.
Contact:

Re: "Aversion Fads" Discussion

Postby felltir » Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:53 pm UTC

Killersquid wrote:I don't mind furries, its just another fetish, but what really creeps me out are the otherkins (which are the insane part of furry fandom, according to the always awesome TV Tropes) , people who believe they are actually animals.


How is it different from males/females who believe they are female/male?
Spoiler:
RoadieRich wrote:He's a super flexible furry martial artist from London. She is a Rabbit breeding mad scientist from Michigan. They fight crime!
The Great Hippo wrote:I THINK THE SOLAR SYSTEM MIGHT BE AN ATOM OF OXYGEN.


Blog

he/him/his

User avatar
SJ Zero
Posts: 740
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:10 pm UTC
Contact:

Re: "Aversion Fads" Discussion

Postby SJ Zero » Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:08 pm UTC

luketheduke wrote:I have to say - I feel disgusted that a significant proportion of the xkcd community feels compelled to continue making mean remarks about furries. Making mean remarks, justifying those mean remarks, presenting strawmen in order to do so.
[...]


All I'm saying is that /b/ hates EVERYONE. It'd be discrimination for them not to hate furries.

User avatar
Mancho
Posts: 31
Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:51 am UTC

Re: "Aversion Fads" Discussion

Postby Mancho » Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:20 pm UTC

Felltir wrote:How is it different from males/females who believe they are female/male?


I think people would tend to be uncomfortable with the whole... interspecies thing, more than gender confusion(?)

User avatar
blakat1313
Posts: 94
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:28 am UTC

Re: "Aversion Fads" Discussion

Postby blakat1313 » Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:25 pm UTC

Killersquid wrote:I don't mind furries, its just another fetish, but what really creeps me out are the otherkins (which are the insane part of furry fandom, according to the always awesome TV Tropes) , people who believe they are actually animals.

It's a little more complicated than you put it. These people rarely see themselves as animals trapped in human bodies. They believe that they are human spirits that have spiritual residue from a past life as an animal.

I know, that doesn't make it more rational, but it's a slight difference.

User avatar
Tanuki
Posts: 38
Joined: Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:37 am UTC
Location: Seattle or something
Contact:

Re: "Aversion Fads" Discussion

Postby Tanuki » Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:31 pm UTC

Felltir wrote:
Killersquid wrote:I don't mind furries, its just another fetish, but what really creeps me out are the otherkins (which are the insane part of furry fandom, according to the always awesome TV Tropes) , people who believe they are actually animals.


How is it different from males/females who believe they are female/male?


"Male" and "Female", like "Gay" and "Straight", or, if you prefer, "Planet", are very fuzzy in their definitions, and pretty arbitrary besides. And while the definition of "Species" is equally fuzzy and arbitrary, the differences between an Otter and a Human are profound. That's how it's different.

luketheduke
Sour Kraut
Posts: 1105
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:56 pm UTC
Location: Where the Kraut's at

Re: "Aversion Fads" Discussion

Postby luketheduke » Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:38 pm UTC

SJ Zero wrote:All I'm saying is that /b/ hates EVERYONE. It'd be discrimination for them not to hate furries.


I was not talking about /b/ at all. not at all.
As long as I know how to love / I know I'll stay alive /
'cause I've got all my life to live / and I've got all my love to give / and I'll survive /
I will survive

User avatar
FourLetterWord
Posts: 114
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:52 am UTC

Re: "Aversion Fads" Discussion

Postby FourLetterWord » Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:48 pm UTC

MuToiD_MaN wrote:I think I'm going to continue to indiscriminately dislike furries if it's all the same to the rest of you.

(Never been to that /b/ place)


in a way, i commend your honesty--you didn't try to drape a fig-leaf over your stance, you just let it swing in the wind so everyone could get a good look at it

your fundamental declaration of closedmindedness looks pretty terrible when you state it so simply, though, so hopefully shame can cudgel you into at least being quiet if nothing else

i don't think it's possible for anyone to read this thread and come away thinking that people like you have any excuse at all
Last edited by FourLetterWord on Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:00 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

NMcCoy
Posts: 390
Joined: Sun Jul 23, 2006 4:25 pm UTC
Location: Portland, OR

Re: "Aversion Fads" Discussion

Postby NMcCoy » Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:49 pm UTC

For the record - I don't generally call myself a furry, but nor would I deny being one. I spent a good portion of the last year worrying about whether I "was or wasn't" a lot of things, including that, and had a bit of an epiphany about six weeks ago when I realized that it was just a label, and choosing to call myself something or not wouldn't change who I was. Labels are not definitions, and they mean different things to different people anyway. Now I'm much more comfortable just being myself, and applying labels to myself as social shorthand when convenient and appropriate, rather than thinking of them as being an intrinsic part of my identity.

Most of the furries I've met are very polite, considerate and open-minded people. And I find the exceptions hilarious. ("@#$% perverted hyper herms, why can't you be into something normal like vore?" - paraphrased summary of a 15-minute tirade from one such individual, I kid you not)
Image

User avatar
Cryopyre
Posts: 701
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:00 am UTC
Location: A desert

Re: "Aversion Fads" Discussion

Postby Cryopyre » Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:56 pm UTC

This reminded me of the emo aversion fad that went on and still does. I'm not emo, doesn't mean I hate or avoid them.
Felstaff wrote:I actually see what religion is to social, economical and perhaps political progress in a similar way to what war is to technological progress.

Gunfingers wrote:Voting is the power to speak your mind. You, apparently, had nothing to say.

User avatar
MuToiD_MaN
Posts: 55
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:51 pm UTC
Location: Irvine, CA

Re: "Aversion Fads" Discussion

Postby MuToiD_MaN » Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:11 am UTC

FourLetterWord wrote:
MuToiD_MaN wrote:I think I'm going to continue to indiscriminately dislike furries if it's all the same to the rest of you.

(Never been to that /b/ place)


in a way, i commend your honesty--you didn't try to drape a fig-leaf over your stance, you just let it swing in the wind so everyone could get a good look at it

your fundamental declaration of closemindedness looks pretty terrible when you state it so simply, though, so hopefully shame can cudgel you into at least being quiet if nothing else

i don't think it's possible for anyone to read this thread and come away thinking that people like you have any excuse at all


I gave it a shot, I really did, trying to see the fur thing as a legitimate culture and not as something that I find difficult to tolerate. I try to compare it to a non-productive diversion that I subscribe to (playing video games) but that doesn't work because video games don't overlap my sexual interests (though I suppose this doesn't apply to those here who have said that their dressing up has nothing to do with gratification).

I'm apologetic for my stance, dick-ish as it may be, and I was hoping that by reading this thread people might be able to change my mind, but from my observations the only thing I see is something that is being done specifically because it irks "normal" people, and if one day it was universally accepted I predict you'd move onto something else.
Last edited by MuToiD_MaN on Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:24 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Tanuki
Posts: 38
Joined: Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:37 am UTC
Location: Seattle or something
Contact:

Re: "Aversion Fads" Discussion

Postby Tanuki » Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:17 am UTC

Yeah, because it's all about you. People never do things because they, like, enjoy them or anything.

Puzzlemaker
Posts: 175
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2007 4:16 pm UTC
Location: Maryland, Silver Spring, USA

Re: "Aversion Fads" Discussion

Postby Puzzlemaker » Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:19 am UTC

I really don't get this discussion...

Why is everyone talking about /b/?

It's an anonymous forum filled with bored teenagers. Not much else to it.

It seems to me a lot of people here are trying to say they don't like furries without saying it, if you know what I mean.

Oh well.

People are people.
RezardVareth wrote:Bad argumentation can be painful to answer, but responding with empty logic just perpetuates the cycle.

User avatar
The Scyphozoa
Posts: 2871
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:33 pm UTC
Location: Sector 5

Re: "Aversion Fads" Discussion

Postby The Scyphozoa » Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:29 am UTC

Hmm...when I first glanced at the comic and I was just looking at the first panel, out of the corner of my eye I saw the red kite and immediately thought it was Cory Doctorow.
Image
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

User avatar
FourLetterWord
Posts: 114
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:52 am UTC

Re: "Aversion Fads" Discussion

Postby FourLetterWord » Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:54 am UTC

MuToiD_MaN wrote:I gave it a shot, I really did, trying to see the fur thing as a legitimate culture and not as something that I find difficult to tolerate. I try to compare it to a non-productive diversion that I subscribe to (playing video games) but that doesn't work because video games don't overlap my sexual interests (though I suppose this doesn't apply to those here who have said that their dressing up has nothing to do with gratification).

I'm apologetic for my stance, dick-ish as it may be, and I was hoping that by reading this thread people might be able to change my mind, but from my observations the only thing I see is something that is being done specifically because it irks "normal" people, and if one day it was universally accepted I predict you'd move onto something else.


so you're willing to dislike my whole group just because you have a weird armchair theory about what you think we'll do if we stop getting shat on constantly?

i'm trying to restate your opinion as fairly as i can. this is because i believe your opinion is impossibly, ridiculously ugly, and that you can't help but feel incredibly shitty when you post it.

rootdown
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:41 am UTC

Re: "Aversion Fads" Discussion

Postby rootdown » Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:55 am UTC

zahlman wrote:
rootdown wrote:4channers are stupid motherfuckers by definition.


No. 4channers adopt a stupid-motherfucker persona for the purpose of posting to /b/. You don't have to believe something to say it on the internet. Many of us are quite normal in our everyday lives.

It's kind of, you know, just like having a fur fetish. Except it's a fetish for seeing if you can get a complete stranger to take a ludicrous idea seriously, and/or offend purely for the sake of offending.


you are a stupid motherfucker

User avatar
vodka.cobra
Posts: 371
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 6:50 pm UTC
Location: Florida
Contact:

Re: "Aversion Fads" Discussion

Postby vodka.cobra » Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:55 am UTC

Armaina wrote:
SJ Zero wrote:If you post on /b/, you're going to get trolled. It doesn't matter what you post.

This

Which was what vodka.cobra was trying to say all along!

I mean honestly, it's pretty pathetic of someone thinks that posting on /b/ defending whatever it is they want to defend and that people will actually care. Nobody cares about who you are, what you do, or what you're trying to enlighten everyone about. The fact that one would care so much about a thread on 4chan is a clear indication that someone seriously needs to work on their priorities and possibly step away from the computer for like... a month.

Precisely.
Hypnotoad2966 wrote:
Jebobek wrote:From the sound of /b/, I think the best way to troll is to go in there and be REALLY NICE with people and genuinley agree with them. Always.


That sounds like an awesome group troll. Someone should set up a time when we all go in there and be really nice. Totally transform /b/ for an hour or so.

Ok maybe I'm just bored at work, but right now it sounds awesome.

I'm in.
FireZs wrote:It's also not what vodka.cobra was really saying.

vodka: "All you furries shouldn't get so pissed when we make fun of you."
others: "So if furries did nothing, you would stop making fun of them?"
vodka: "No, but it'd make my trolling them more enjoyable."

Wrong. It was more like, "No, but it'd make my trolling them LESS enjoyable." If the trolling is less enjoyable, I have less incentive to troll them. It's called "friendly advice." Another term that might be of interest to you is "reading comprehension."
If the above comment has anything to do with hacking or cryptography, note that I work for a PHP security company and might know what I'm talking about.


Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 42 guests