0160: "Penny Arcade Parody"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Ephphatha

0160: "Penny Arcade Parody"

Postby Ephphatha » Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:46 am UTC

Ok, ok. Truthful writing today. I'd be laughing more at it if I didn't suspect that Tycho might actually be willing to do this. I was expecting something more like the previous PA parody though. Why did they get a mention twice anyway?

Do I win?

No. But now you don't lose http://www.xkcd.com/c160.html
Last edited by Ephphatha on Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:15 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Marrow

Postby Marrow » Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:55 am UTC

Yes, was it worth it?
Nonconformists unite for paradox.

kira
I hate bananas.

Re: Official "Penny Arcade Parody" Discussion.

Postby kira » Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:23 am UTC

Ephphatha wrote:Do I win?

You win the lame award. If you don't have anything to say about the comic, don't start a thread about it.

Jack Saladin
X is kiss

Postby Jack Saladin » Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:44 am UTC

I've seen weaker starting posts in the discussion threads.

Verysillyman
"Do me! Do me!"

Postby Verysillyman » Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:09 am UTC

Ia anyone going to say anything about the comic aside from mentioning that it hasn't been properly mentioned?

Jack Saladin
X is kiss

Postby Jack Saladin » Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:18 am UTC

It was pretty gay.

MightyMouse

Postby MightyMouse » Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:56 am UTC

Saladin wrote:It was pretty gay.

But is this a good thing or a bad thing?

katsielyonz

Postby katsielyonz » Wed Sep 20, 2006 4:28 pm UTC

I have to say I was most amused by the comic. It was not what I was expecting. It's like a parody lost in a parody of sorts.
Yah yah, poo.

Cowie

Re: Official "Penny Arcade Parody" Discussion.

Postby Cowie » Wed Sep 20, 2006 5:43 pm UTC

kira wrote:
Ephphatha wrote:Do I win?

You win the lame award. If you don't have anything to say about the comic, don't start a thread about it.

meanwhile, your input is valuable!
besides, the thread would've been made anyway.

ps. did anyone get a total chub from this?

Balthos

Postby Balthos » Wed Sep 20, 2006 6:34 pm UTC

The first two panels, I was totally in agreement with. I'm a big fan of Penny Arcade, both of Gabe's art and Tycho's writings. I read the news and the comic regularly.

The third panel... while I may not be in agreement, it is funny as hell. I shudder to think to what use the cardboard tube is going to be put.

Also, the alt text is hilarious.

Shoofle

Postby Shoofle » Wed Sep 20, 2006 8:40 pm UTC

You lose; this is not official.

Jack Saladin
X is kiss

Postby Jack Saladin » Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:10 pm UTC

This is the dark, sexy underbelly of the internet - unofficial discussion topics.

MightyMouse

Postby MightyMouse » Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:15 pm UTC

Saladin wrote:This is the dark, sexy underbelly of the internet - unofficial discussion topics.

Containing almost no discussion. The irony!

I thought it was great, and I didn't even know what the parody was from.

danb

Postby danb » Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:43 pm UTC

cDonald's Second Theorem states that the officiality of a thread is directly proportional to the number of asterisks on either side of its title.

henrix

Postby henrix » Thu Sep 21, 2006 12:01 am UTC

I thought it was great and to the point, Tycho's ability to say virtually nothing with an enormous amount of words is starting to get on my nerves lately.

Love the comics though.

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Thu Sep 21, 2006 1:11 am UTC

Henrix, far be it from me to dictate Randy's position on things, but judging by the conversations we've had on this subject, I don't think his intention was to negatively portray tycho's writing style even the slightest bit.

Quite the contrary, our conversations tend to go something like "Goddamn, I wish I could write like him. He makes me appear to be some sort of retarded mutant hillbilly, such as one might find in the wake of some sort of cinematic nuclear testing" "Indeed, in light of his facility with the english language, I look upon my own works, and see only the scribblings of a demented chimpanzee, who, given a pen, has used it as an instrument of revenge upon all aesthetics"

..or something like that. Point is, mad props to penny arcade.

EM-002.rv-L "Tem Cu

Postby EM-002.rv-L "Tem Cu » Thu Sep 21, 2006 4:43 am UTC

I think this one is longer than "dreams", isn't it? (http://xkcd.com/c137.html) Or is it just me?

...This is also the best send-up of PA I've ever seen. Far from being a parody, this reads like one of the "John Romero"-themed comments they made in their first book. Only longer. Much longer. Y'know, like a cardboard tube compared to a toilet paper tube.
When you have at your disposal a hammer made of three spacefaring battleships, do you still need to pay taxes?

cidbahamut

Postby cidbahamut » Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:19 am UTC

the cardboard tube frightens me...I think mainly because I never read PA...so many twisted paths it could take.

EM-002.rv-L "Tem Cu

Postby EM-002.rv-L "Tem Cu » Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:25 am UTC

cidbahamut wrote:the cardboard tube frightens me...I think mainly because I never read PA...so many twisted paths it could take.

There is only one path - the TRUE path - of the cardboard tube...
When you have at your disposal a hammer made of three spacefaring battleships, do you still need to pay taxes?

Ephphatha

Postby Ephphatha » Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:49 am UTC

I have a cardboard tube like that. It's very unweildly, though I can land a decent hit on my target if I get lucky.

EM-002.rv-L "Tem Cu

Postby EM-002.rv-L "Tem Cu » Thu Sep 21, 2006 7:29 am UTC

Ephphatha wrote:I have a cardboard tube like that. It's very unweildly, though I can land a decent hit on my target if I get lucky.

Hey, if you can get a "decent hit" with an unweildly cardboard tube, imagine what would happen if you got one hand-forged specifically for you... That's right, you can slick up your hair and cosplay at PAX.

Axolotl

Postby Axolotl » Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:15 am UTC

Hey, just wanted to say I loved the comic, in my mind you really nailed this one.

Jack Saladin
X is kiss

Postby Jack Saladin » Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:18 am UTC

Your username reminded me of how funny the axolotl looks, so I went to look into them and found out about that forced-maturing-into-salamanders crap. That is, quite frankly, amazing. I never knew.

Axolotl

Postby Axolotl » Fri Sep 22, 2006 2:11 am UTC

Neither did I actually, thanks for bringing it to my attention. The more I learn about the axolotl, the better I feel about my choice of username. What a crazy animal.

Verysillyman
"Do me! Do me!"

Postby Verysillyman » Fri Sep 22, 2006 11:43 am UTC

I own four axylotls. They don't need food to survive!

Jack Saladin
X is kiss

Postby Jack Saladin » Fri Sep 22, 2006 11:56 am UTC

You should try to force them into their adult form.

What's the death rate for that? Pretty high I think. Though, since you have four, you might get lucky and have one make it through.

Otherwise you can always buy some more.

Think about how cool it would be:

"Oh, dude, where's your axolotl What's that thing?"
"That's my axolotl. It became an uber-axolotl."
"Oh me yarm. Have sex with me! "(It's a girl, although guys would probably say the same thing)

Verysillyman
"Do me! Do me!"

Postby Verysillyman » Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:02 pm UTC

hahahah I'm not fussy on gender, just looks.

I kinda want to try, but I read somewhere that New Zealand axylotls mostly come from the same original pair, and they've lost the ability to slamanderise. They're about the only animal that can reproduce without becoming an adult.

They've laid eggs before, and about 30% of them hatched, but I didn't take good enough care of them so they died. when they're born they're just the same as when they're older, just 1 centimetre long instead of 25.

Jack Saladin
X is kiss

Postby Jack Saladin » Fri Sep 22, 2006 10:01 pm UTC

Yeah, axolotls are just some crazy mutation of the salamander that never leaves the larval form. There's a species of salamander that looks just like an axolotl while in it's larval form, and when you force an axolotl into adulthood it looks nearly just like this same salamander.

So. Fucking. Crazy.

I didn't even know there were New Zealand axolotls as a specific "breed" of axolotls. >.>

I always kinda wanted one but I haven't seen them in any pet stores or anything, I remember my cousin had one when I was a kid.

fjafjan
THE fjafjan

Postby fjafjan » Sat Mar 10, 2007 1:12 pm UTC

I know I know, very late
But this comic just made me laugh my butt off , and I really should have said so earlier :P
//Yepp, THE fjafjan (who's THE fjafjan?)
Liza wrote:Fjafjan, your hair is so lovely that I want to go to Sweden, collect the bit you cut off in your latest haircut and keep it in my room, and smell it. And eventually use it to complete my shrine dedicated to you.

Phy

Postby Phy » Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:16 am UTC

I'll say so now. I have always liked to entertain the notion that, when I am writing at my most bombastic, thesaurus at the ready, the odd italicized word nocking into place like the gearshift on an old Porsche and my train of thought matching that vehicular formidable's RPM curve, in that shining instant I might dare consider my drivel to be worth a tenth of a tenth of Tycho Brahe on his worst day. Like if a mutant triceratops bred for stamina and girth were to start off Tycho's morning by relieving itself in his shower, and the man was simultaneously suffering some strange malady barely hinted at in Paracelsus' manuscripts, a grim disease outlined by unending flatulence and the turning of the eyes to boils, he could still write circles around me: dread rings of purplest prose, inscribed in elk's blood, on the floor. If he was feeling especially nasty he might use sarcasm.

LE4dGOLEM
is unique......wait, no!!!!

Postby LE4dGOLEM » Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:49 pm UTC

Phy wrote:I'll say so now. I have always liked to entertain the notion that, when I am writing at my most bombastic, thesaurus at the ready, the odd italicized word nocking into place like the gearshift on an old Porsche and my train of thought matching that vehicular formidable's RPM curve, in that shining instant I might dare consider my drivel to be worth a tenth of a tenth of Tycho Brahe on his worst day. Like if a mutant triceratops bred for stamina and girth were to start off Tycho's morning by relieving itself in his shower, and the man was simultaneously suffering some strange malady barely hinted at in Paracelsus' manuscripts, a grim disease outlined by unending flatulence and the turning of the eyes to boils, he could still write circles around me: dread rings of purplest prose, inscribed in elk's blood, on the floor. If he was feeling especially nasty he might use sarcasm.

...Yeah. He's better than you. Especially at this.
Image Une See Fights - crayon super-ish hero webcomic!
doogly wrote:It would just be much better if it were not shitty.

Pathway
Leon Sumbitches...?

Postby Pathway » Sat Mar 17, 2007 4:02 am UTC

I'm so glad someone said it before I did.

NightStar
"Hold very still, Mr President....."

Postby NightStar » Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:00 am UTC

OH FOR THE LOVE OF--

http://xkcd.com/c160.html

It appears this is the accepted thread, so I might as well make it acceptable.
Hawknc wrote:Madness?
THIS IS COLLEGE!
*Kicks a beer keg over a balcony*

Belial

Postby Belial » Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:45 pm UTC

Yeah, this thread was before the rule...I'll go you one better and edit it into the first post...
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

Locus Cosecant

Postby Locus Cosecant » Wed Apr 11, 2007 4:47 pm UTC

Not to actually comment on the comic or anything, but I think we've all had at least one experience where we have been writing along and everything is going fine, but then suddenly things take a turn for the homoerotic AND WE CAN'T STOP WRITING. This is art, holding a mirror up to life.

Mother Superior
Better than tea

Postby Mother Superior » Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:14 pm UTC

Locus Cosecant wrote:Not to actually comment on the comic or anything, but I think we've all had at least one experience where we have been writing along and everything is going fine, but then suddenly things take a turn for the homoerotic AND WE CAN'T STOP WRITING. This is art, holding a mirror up to life.

I think this phenomena is far more interesting when it happens in real life however...
My crappy creepy? Crabby? My crabby blog.
"She bore also the fruitless deep with his raging swell, Pontus, without sweet union of love."
- Hesiod, Theogony

Aerith

Older PA Comic

Postby Aerith » Mon May 21, 2007 9:36 pm UTC

I didn't want to make a new thread for such an old comic, but I've just discovered this comic today, and I love it!

I'm 4 years into a Math PhD, and this is just hilarious, but what really got me was http://xkcd.com/c50.html ...

Not because I dislike PA - rather I'm a huge gamer and I love PA...but...well...

The first thing I thought when I saw it was..."Of COURSE I've played Senken Densetsu...hasn't everyone."

Hilarious comics though. I now go to work my way through the rest of them. Thanks!

Phenriz
I'm daaancin' like a monkey!

Postby Phenriz » Mon May 21, 2007 9:44 pm UTC

necro..... post....

*twitch*

but yes i too like PA, and found this comic to be made of awesome on varying levels.
I loveded you piggy, i lovded youuuu!!!

Belial

Postby Belial » Mon May 21, 2007 9:47 pm UTC

No twitching, you. Thread necromancy is a respected practice in these parts. And if you don't like it, the security-mummies will show you out.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

Phenriz
I'm daaancin' like a monkey!

Postby Phenriz » Mon May 21, 2007 9:54 pm UTC

pfft, i see your security-mummies and raise you a small contingent (100,000) dust mites.

I couldave gone all...

crazy...

but instead all i did was twitch!

(i know it's "respected" in these parts, something i'm adjusting to slowly, but this is OLD with a capital Q)
Last edited by Phenriz on Tue May 22, 2007 4:14 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
I loveded you piggy, i lovded youuuu!!!

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”