0472: "House of Pancakes"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Nobodyhasthis

Re: "House of Pancakes" Discussion

Postby Nobodyhasthis » Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:51 am UTC

Oh wait, I forgot to add that thXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
alse vacuXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
veloci[]torXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX and that's why your mom got pregnant.

Best book ever.

Anndraya

Postby Anndraya » Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:56 am UTC

I LOL'd hard.
I love House of Leaves.

Greatest. Mind. Fuck. Ever.

Upthorn

Postby Upthorn » Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:58 am UTC

Right. I think it's time to break out the tape measures. I can't tell whether or not the walls are moving

ChainsawPlankton

Postby ChainsawPlankton » Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:02 am UTC

Go Rochester Ihop! I have fond memories of thee

Caelasma

Postby Caelasma » Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:04 am UTC

I a[] currently in the pr[ ]ess of reading the House for the first ti[]e. It sent me into a depression for a couple of months and I almost literally got lost in the book until I started reading it again two days ago. Every time I picked it up, something would happen around me that was in common with the scene I was reading. For the book is not a book; it is a movie.

Patren

Postby Patren » Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:16 am UTC

I went through the entire strip thinking to myself 'this seems like a huge parody of House of Leaves" and then saw that it said so at the top...and that house was blue. I'm not sure how I missed House being blue.

Now onto whether or not the book is worth reading...Yeah. It is a really interesting concept/read. Now if the book is actually any good...that is up for debate. But it is a worthwhile read and I'll admit that after staying up until 4 in the morning reading the parts when he is within the house I got a little agoraphobic and claustrophobic at the same time. A pretty amazing feat.

It's just that it is an experiment in the writing of a novel and one of, if not the first, of its kind so it automatically gets the 'amazing' label because there is nothing to really compare it to. I'm sure people will try to copy it and eventually someone will write a copy that is not only really interesting but actually really good as well.

Kitsusyn

Postby Kitsusyn » Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:17 am UTC

Before I read this thread I thought it was a Max Payne parody. :?
Get off my Internet.

ph33l_da_l0v3

Postby ph33l_da_l0v3 » Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:21 am UTC

This might be the least understood reference xkcd has done yet. But everyone should read House of Leaves, it's great.

the rise of math

Postby the rise of math » Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:21 am UTC

This is solid gold.17

17but will I live long enough to explain it to my friends?

NThisStyle-10-6

Postby NThisStyle-10-6 » Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:29 am UTC

I think that my jaw might have unhinged snake-style when I saw this. I check the site whenever I think about it, but since school started back, I've been a couple of days late on most of the comics. I also haven't spent much time in the forums because my life has been kind of consumed by school once again.

But wow. HoL is one of the two works of art that I've described as life-changing. (The film Fight Club takes the other medal.) I actually encountered it and Poe (Annie Danielewski, as stated earlier; not the American dark-fiction author) around the same time, although completely separately from the book. I had a moment of epiphany when I realized the two were intrinsically connected.

Anyway, I digress. I'm actually posting to say not only that I am even more in awe of this strip now, but also to say that it sounds like those of us who have read HoL need a therapy group. I read about half of it for the first time before putting it down for six months because I was having panic attacks - not a normal thing for me, at all. But, still... it'll change your life.

Kudos to everyone who's read it, recommendations to those who have not, and many, many thanks to Randall Munroe - a man I don't know, who doesn't know me, but who seems to be kind of in charge of this little shindig - for putting up such a well-placed reference.

aeiss

Postby aeiss » Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:31 am UTC

Read the book.
Read the book.

While the comic was not so much hard-hitting funniez, it was quite intellectual (KLOLZNOTRLY), but it is well, just
awesome.
lost for words.

READ THE BOOK

ps. if you live in Sydney you can get it from Kinokuniya

Aethernox

Postby Aethernox » Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:36 am UTC

This was perfect, as I'm currently reading House of Leaves. It is an amazing book, and if you've not read it, buy/borrow a copy.

The first comic I have actually lol'd at in a good while, also.

HeartOfFocus

Postby HeartOfFocus » Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:39 am UTC

I LOVE HOUSE OF LEAVES.
LOVE. and HATE.
I recognized it immediately. Wonderfully done! Just as annoying, and just as inventive.

<3

Question: To those of you who have read both, is Only Revolutions (another book by the same author) worth it?

ohnoesmilk

Postby ohnoesmilk » Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:40 am UTC

WIN. <3<3<3
<Guo_Si> Hey, you know what sucks?
<TheXPhial> vaccuums
<Guo_Si> Hey, you know what sucks in a metaphorical sense?
<TheXPhial> black holes
<Guo_Si> Hey, you know what just isn't cool?
<TheXPhial> lava?

NThisStyle-10-6

Postby NThisStyle-10-6 » Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:42 am UTC

HeartOfFocus wrote:Question: To those of you who have read both, is Only Revolutions (another book by the same author) worth it?

I've gotten only about halfway through OR. I have a difficult time with poetry, and I started out trying to read all of the information in the margins. I've deemed it not doable on the first pass. It is, however, oozing with happiness and love, much the antithesis of HoL. Great story, though.

umcloud

Postby umcloud » Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:49 am UTC

Gah!
So I come upstairs after having read a bit of House of Leaves (reading through for the first time now and nearing the end. At this point Johnny has officially "flipped his pancake", so to speak.) And I sit down at my computer and start checking webcomics and see ... this. People talk about the freaky occurrences that have happened to them while reading this book - well for me, this is it.
But aside from thoroughly freaking me out, great comic. Though if the narrator is supposed to be Johnny, he should clearly be sexing up some of those IHOP waitresses.
Also, HoL is great, if you're thinking about reading it, do it.

cranberrytuna

Postby cranberrytuna » Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:57 am UTC

Wow. I think I need to visit my local library.

This comic reminded me a lot of Janet Cardiff and George Bures Miller. They're installation artists from Canada and they have this specific installation called The Dark Pool. I saw it on a trip to Miami, definitely check them out if any of you ever see that they're coming to wherever you folks live. If you liked House of Leaves, I bet this would be right up your alley. Same kind of stream of conciousness thing going on. At least, from what I gather HoL to be like from the comic, as I haven't read it.

http://www.cardiffmiller.com/artworks/i ... kpool.html

stormoftara

Postby stormoftara » Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:57 am UTC

I've never read House of Leaves, {why is house in blue anyway?} but now I really want to. Randall Monroe...are you trying to steal my mind and make me read books????

But now I REALLY want to go to the diner and get pancakes

Aglet

Postby Aglet » Fri Sep 05, 2008 6:18 am UTC

Oh man, I love House of Leaves.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Fri Sep 05, 2008 6:25 am UTC

For those chiming in with "I haven't read HoL...", to you I say, GO! READ!

Comic is win. I include this for fun:

Five and a Half Minute Hallway
Beautiful Graphics and Eerie music

Books intense. I found it one day on my bookshelf, and took copious liner notes, then gave it to someone who also took copious liner notes (some of which were on my liner notes) and then passed it to another person, who took copious liner notes (some of which were on the notes of the notes), and then read it again for a wholly different experience.

I highly recommend doing this.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Dev Null

Postby Dev Null » Fri Sep 05, 2008 6:40 am UTC

Does the Creative Commons license cover making hundreds of photocopies of this and slipping them into menus at IHOP?

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Fri Sep 05, 2008 6:46 am UTC

Dev Null wrote:Does the Creative Commons license cover making hundreds of photocopies of this and slipping them into menus at IHOP?

Yes, I'd say it probably does... as long as you're not an IHOP employee (there's that pesky "Non-Commercial" clause in there).

Also: That is an awesome idea. Take photos of people's reactions, and post them here...

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

muffin of doom

Postby muffin of doom » Fri Sep 05, 2008 6:50 am UTC

My feelings are very similar to stormoftara's; I've never even heard of the book (and thus didn't get the comic at all), but now I have a serious craving for pancakes with strawberry topping.

After reading this thread, though, I'm quite intrigued by the book. I'll have to keep it in mind next time I'm at a bookstore.

laxbum321

Postby laxbum321 » Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:36 am UTC

i (although being a long-time fan) just created a forum account to say how much i love this strip and everything it stands for.
House of Leaves is one of my favorite books of all time and this being one of the few times i read the title before the comic immediately knew what i was in store for.
most awesome.

quartertonality

Postby quartertonality » Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:38 am UTC

I just got this book 5 days ago after wanting it for 9 months when I first heard about it.

So the comic today freaked me right the fuck out.

slothario

Postby slothario » Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:43 am UTC

The omission of a serial comma? Who gives a f*** about an oxford comma? :o

By the way, after my previous joke, I shouldn't be one to complain about obscure references, but this cartoon's a big inside joke. C'mon, what percentage of people out there have read that book.

elvor

Postby elvor » Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:50 am UTC

I love this strip!

And the book, it's possibly my favourite book, but yeah, incredibly hard to get through.

Annoyingly, they only sell the black and white edition in the UK. I really wish that I'd got the two colour version somehow.

rubikcube

Postby rubikcube » Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:11 am UTC

[math]\text{is this the first comic strip set with }\TeX\text{?}[/math]

shivashakti

Postby shivashakti » Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:35 am UTC

Am I the only one who couldn't stand House of Leaves? Or, more accurately, couldn't get into it? After having my friends recommend it with high praise, I picked it up and on three separate occasions, I tried to get into it. Couldn't. Got several chapters in and just got bored with it. Or just didn't care.

I hear it gets much better, but I doubt I'll ever get to that part.

atimholt

Postby atimholt » Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:51 am UTC

I've written in color before, in a surreal story, but an outside reader would label the work as meant for young adults or kids. Unfortunately, I've misplaced the story collection which was the last known repository of that anthology, which is a real shame because it was some of my most (authorward) cathartic work. Not sure who else would enjoy the stuff, but it was a treasure to me.
But in my story, the color is essential to the plot. Black and white wouldn't cut it, so I guess it would be doomed to only obscure publication.
And now I want to read House of Leaves. I find I enjoy Daft Punk and a classical piece called Bolero, because it mimics some of my repetitive insanities, the kind I get when I'm really tired. What I'm trying to say is that I like to do certain things people think I'm doing only to annoy (in the vein of endless repetition, have you ever abused the A-B repeat on a DVD player? It's awesome.).
I'm rambling. it is 1:30 am right now.
Um,,, yeah. Going with the unconventional which gives you that cathartic feeling is the only way to discover who you really are.
I'm rambling. It's late.
I really don't know how much this post has to do with house of leaves. I've been working on a book, which you can imagine gets a person into an overly-communicative mood, especially if they're usually quiet. I'm going to shut up now.
Shutting up.
It's late.
Totally random totally awesome SF quote:
Jorane Sutt put the tips of carefully-manicured fingers together and said, "It's something of a puzzle. In fact--and this is in the strictest confidence--it may be another one of Hari Seldon's crises."

liotier

Postby liotier » Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:02 am UTC

Wondrej

Postby Wondrej » Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:16 am UTC

the scractched word on top right corner is blogspot so I've tryied it - houseofpancakes.blogspot.com and guess what :D
there was a light, then earth, then human, then simpsons, then futurama and then... sudenly xkcd apear!

keithc

Postby keithc » Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:38 am UTC

Is this the first time that nobody has said "Randall, get out of my head"" for many, many months?

Mr. Knowitall

Postby Mr. Knowitall » Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:16 am UTC

Wow. This was one of my favorite ones in a LONG, long time. I read House of Leaves a couple of months ago, so I loved the comic, but it's pretty obvious that if you haven't read the book this one won't make any sense to you at all. Which is why you should read it.

Wondrej wrote:the scractched word on top right corner is blogspot so I've tryied it - houseofpancakes.blogspot.com and guess what :D

Nice, though it doesn't seem to be connected to xkcd.

weirdo

Postby weirdo » Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:45 am UTC

I really liked this comic! :)
And that was before I saw "Today's comic: a parody of House of Leaves".
And I hadn't heard of House of Leaves before.
Now I have yet another book to add to the list of known-about-as-yet-unobtained/unread books. Damnit!

Somewhat apropos: I found maybe a good place for xkcd-ers to go in Rotterdam:
http://www.pannenkoekenboot.nl/pannenko ... arten.aspx
All you can eat pancakes, tour of Rotterdam harbour AND the hold is a ball-pond (they open it when the kids get frisky after the first few rounds of pancakes).
They don't have the concept of lemon juice + pancakes in Holland though.
So bring your own lemons.

geb

Postby geb » Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:09 am UTC

This was my face when I read this comic: :o

<witty typographical House of Leaves references>
I read House of Leaves at the end of last year, after having read the 5.5MH excerpt online. The book started off really well...but it unravelled a bit at the end. I know that's the point, but it was just a bitch to read/understand. I was also far more interested in Navidson's story than Johnny's (at least until he divides by zero and starts reading HoL himself...)
</witty typographical etc...>

It will freak you out. Read this book.

PatrickRsGhost

Postby PatrickRsGhost » Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:19 am UTC

As for the alt-text, Waffle House is better than IHOP. Bitches.

Waffles > pancakes

Besides, I can't eat anything at IHOP without ending up with digestion problems later on. I remember one night I went with a few friends, and all I had was a glass of sweet tea. I told them that I can't eat anything there, because for some strange reason I get digestion problems. I thought it safe to just stick to a glass of tea. Nope. Even that caused the problems.
PRG

An important message for you:

macronencer

Postby macronencer » Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:31 am UTC

PatrickRsGhost wrote:010000100110010100100000011100110

Well, talking of spooky coincidences, I had just done exactly that when I read your sig.

What has the omission of the hyphen from "kids only" got to do with Oxford commas, or any kind of commas at all, or with being British? I'm far more confused about that than I was about the subject of the strip.

I may well order this book - it looks warped beyond recognition. I dig warped.
I think those are crocodile tears: you must be in de Nile.

SimonBob

Postby SimonBob » Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:18 pm UTC

Huh. I obviously didn't get it, because I thought there was going to be a joke about lupus. There's never a joke about lupus. :(
The Mammon Industry
Because it can't be art until the gods get the money.

Silicon Jedi

Postby Silicon Jedi » Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:22 pm UTC

This is weird. I saw this comic and immediately though of HoL.

Not House of Leaves, but Human Occupied Landfill, a Roleplaying game that used a handwritten crazy narrator style and IHOP references. weird, especially with the initials connection. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hol_(role-playing_game)

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”