0480: "Spore"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

glasnt

0480: "Spore"

Postby glasnt » Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:07 am UTC

Alt: "Way to not support the GMA 950 under OS X, Spore. :("

Wow. A thousand geeks poised around the New Thread button, but not one wanting to press it due to the possibility of producing a duplicate thread.
Its probably even up on digg already :roll:

edit: whoops, forgot the link. thanks joee
Last edited by glasnt on Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:14 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.

DustinErnst

Re: "Spore" Discussion

Postby DustinErnst » Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:08 am UTC

I'm not really all that excited about Spore. I think I'm the only one. :/

thethirdmoose

Postby thethirdmoose » Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:08 am UTC

Also, it would be nice if they supported linux at least tacitly with WINE. But that's why I dual boot...
Anyways, I didn't really like spore.

GodShapedBullet

Postby GodShapedBullet » Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:09 am UTC

My two thoughts:

1. I think Zero Punctuation made a similar dig at Spore. I don't mean that in a "What are you trying to pull, Randall" kind of way. More in a "great minds think alike" kind of way.

atrain

Postby atrain » Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:09 am UTC

Spore: Too much Hype, too much DRM, not exciting sounding anymore.

Does Randal use a Mac?

arbivark

Postby arbivark » Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:10 am UTC

I'm not who this comic was for.
Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 950
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_GMA
Not that i mind.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spore_(2008_video_game)
Oh that sounds pretty cool. But I'm just not a gamer.

Spore is a multi-genre "massively single-player online game"[6][7] developed by Maxis and designed by Will Wright. It allows a player to control the evolution of a species from its beginnings as a unicellular organism, through development as an intelligent and social creature, to interstellar exploration as a spacefaring culture. It has drawn wide attention for its massive scope, and its use of open-ended gameplay and procedural generation.
Last edited by arbivark on Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:14 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.

Aradae

Postby Aradae » Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:10 am UTC

I kinda love spore, but am somewhat disappointed at how shallow the game is.

Doing this may get you deeper gameplay at the expense of not having a creature of your own design.
Guys guys guys! I found Russel's teapot! . . . nevermind, it was just Jesus flying to Mars again.

madhollywood

Postby madhollywood » Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:11 am UTC

I don't even want to think about how much time I could waste if I revisted my old game library. I will probably play Spore at some point, but I am not especially excited about it. Maybe it will surprise me.

pyroman

Postby pyroman » Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:11 am UTC

macbooks wont run spore? i find that rather surprising that this would happen especially after the big deal they made about spore a while back when they were showing off what the iphone could do
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin

joee

Postby joee » Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:12 am UTC

DustinErnst wrote:I'm not really all that excited about Spore. I think I'm the only one. :/

Nope. I don't care about Spore either.

Pssst, glasnt, add a link to the comic page to your OP.
Hi glasnt.

stormoftara

Postby stormoftara » Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:13 am UTC

I would like to play Spore but...

My computer won't even run Portal, or any of the other games in the Orange Box. IT SUCKS. *sobs in the corner*

roc314
Is dead, and you have killed him

Postby roc314 » Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:15 am UTC

What game would you play for the cell stage of Spore?

And shouldn't he have been playing Civilization, not Populous?

I like the idea that Spore is just a knock-off of several different, unrelated games. With some nice editors!
Hippo: roc is the good little communist that lurks in us all
Richard Stallman: Geeks like to think that they can ignore politics, you can leave politics alone, but politics won't leave you alone.
suffer-cait: roc's a pretty cool dude

pyroman

Postby pyroman » Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:15 am UTC

DustinErnst wrote:I'm not really all that excited about Spore. I think I'm the only one. :/

cant say that i am too excited about spore myself. To be perfectly honest every time i see it i keep thinking oh great. This is going to bring on a whole new serries of crap from creationist "SEE THE WORLD WAS INTELLIGENTLY DESIGNED! Silly science there's no such thing as evolution"
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin

Anon Zytose

Postby Anon Zytose » Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:15 am UTC

I saw the mention of Alpha Centauri, my favorite game of all time, and got a huge jolt of excitement. :D So much so that I decided to register onto this site if only to mention that. Thank you. ^^

TheHand

Postby TheHand » Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:15 am UTC

Hmm, Populous on SNES or that PC one that came out some years ago?

Gracenotes

Postby Gracenotes » Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:18 am UTC

GodShapedBullet wrote:Image

I strongly approve of your Parasect. Do you wish to trade it for my Raticate?

stormoftara

Postby stormoftara » Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:21 am UTC

TheHand wrote:Hmm, Populous on SNES or that PC one that came out some years ago?

Well he is sitting at a computer. XD

Paiev

Postby Paiev » Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:23 am UTC

The alt text really made it for me because I happen to own a laptop with a GMA chip. There are games that work on the integrated graphics on my desktop from 04 that don't work on the GMA. Intel basically wrote some cruddy drivers for some models that support hardware t&l as well as hardware shaders (I believe), but because they're buggy games will crash or the graphics just won't work properly. Case in point: Ensemble Studios' "Age of" series. A patch was released for AoE3 for the sole purpose of fixing bugs caused by the GM965 (the chip I have). Unfortunately AoM was not so lucky, and I happen to play AoM online quite a bit (or used to). We're talking about a game that works on just about every other graphics card found in semi-modern computers.

Anyways, regarding Spore I haven't played it but it doesn't seem to me like it fulfills the hype (which isn't unexpected, yes that's a double negative).

TV4Fun

Postby TV4Fun » Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:24 am UTC

I feel a need to post a youtube video of me saying "Leave Spore alone!" in between massive sobs. I think it is a cool game. It could have been a lot cooler. I think it looked a lot cooler in some of the initial versions that were demoed several years ago, I think they cut out a lot of the cool features before release, but it is still a cool game. If only for the space phase, and the fact that it gives you this absolutely massive galaxy to explore and colonize, though not so much the fact that you get called home every five seconds to fight off some random alien invasion.
$_[0] wrote:rule 2:
Once a relationship ends, physical access to all relevant machinery is denied.

Balsamic

Postby Balsamic » Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:25 am UTC

roc314 wrote:What game would you play for the cell stage of Spore?

Game of Life?

I was fascinated by Spore when it was first announced. This interest was fuelled by my own work with procedural texture and 3d terrain generation at the time. All this time later however, that interest has completely waned.
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray wrote:I choose my friends for their good looks, my acquaintances for their good characters, and my enemies for their good intellects. A man cannot be too careful in the choice of his enemies.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:25 am UTC

Populous! Wasn't that 999 levels long?!

...Oh, you skipped levels if you did well. I never knew that. Still, if you were going to be thorough, that would take a while!
Last edited by Jorpho on Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:27 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

philsov
Not a fan of Diane Kruger

Postby philsov » Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:26 am UTC

stormoftara wrote:
TheHand wrote:Hmm, Populous on SNES or that PC one that came out some years ago?

Well he is sitting at a computer. XD

Most of my SNES cartridge batteries are shot, so I'm more in the habit of emulation than not.

Also, is there a game with a smaller scale than SimAnt?

Mane
21th Century African?

Postby Mane » Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:27 am UTC

My problem wth spore is that it lacks depth in the various stages where 'depth' would be good.

The Cell Stage is epic, I love it, and the Creature stage is very good too, if repetitive. But here's the problem, one would expect game play to advance as one's organism advances as well, but it doesn't. In fact, it does the opposite, the tribal phase is TERRIBLE, no victory condictions, no 'building' like you did the creature phase, nothing! Civil phase is only SLIGHTLY better, and even then it's the worst RTS-type game I've ever played, you don't even build factories for units or anything!

The Space stage is interesting, and frustrating; first of all, you really do have a sandbox, but the sandbox is limited by the fact that you need to do missions to earn cash to buy more of the sandbox, and after a while it gets circular; You need cash to buy item X that you've just unlocked by doing missions, so you want to build new colonies, which means you have to buy the colonies along with single use terraforming tools so you can better the envorment of the target planet so you can place a colony there and put factories, which produce spice, into it, so you can come back later and harvest the spice and go sell it to someone for cash so you can repeat the whole process.

After a while you do start unlocking better tools, such a heat ray, which isn't single use, but it's damn hard to get to it, especially when you're being attacked from three different empires at once, AND YOU ARE THE ONLY SPACESHIP IN THE WHOLE OF YOUR EMPIRE.

*sigh* so many hopes, so many dreams, Why did Spore have to destroy them?

iabervon

Postby iabervon » Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:29 am UTC

He beat Populous? I remember it just getting harder until it was pretty much impossible. (On the other hand, I was going for kind of insane completeness, because I was trying to figure out the world naming algorithm, and I'm not entirely sure I ever tried to see how large a numbered world I could simply reach by winning a level.)

I remember that the copy protection worlds mentioned in the manual were all really high-numbered and pretty much impossible.

i3ootleg

Postby i3ootleg » Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:31 am UTC

Spore is alright. The DRM doesn't bother me yet, but I'm sure if I get into it enough and change computers a few times I'll be pissed.

I LOVE POPULOUS!! I wasn't aware you could beat it either...

As I was waiting for Spore to install last week my friends were talking about games it resembled and it led me into an hour long discussion of how cool Populous was back in the day on my Amiga.

Needless to say...none of them knew what I was talking about. :(

GodShapedBullet

Postby GodShapedBullet » Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:34 am UTC

Gracenotes wrote:

Flaws though it may have, I prefer Spore to Hyper Fang, Gracenotes.

HistidineTheCat

Postby HistidineTheCat » Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:47 am UTC

I was super excited for spore. But I waited, read the reviews, and watched the People's Rating on Gamespot steadily sink from ~9.0 down to 7.7 on a 10-point scale.

A good game, probably. But instead I bought Space Rangers 2, a four-year-old German game from the bargain bin. Damn am I glad I made that choice :)

aleflamedyud
wants your cookies

Postby aleflamedyud » Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:49 am UTC

Randall uses a Mac too, eh? It runs on my GeForce 8600 just fine.

Yes, I am pimping my geek cred.
"With kindness comes naïveté. Courage becomes foolhardiness. And dedication has no reward. If you can't accept any of that, you are not fit to be a graduate student."

Rowan_of_Rin

Postby Rowan_of_Rin » Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:53 am UTC

I too was disappointed about the lack of depth in Spore, it held so much promise.. Instead I have opted to purchase Fallout 3.

Stay_Puft_marshmallows
Location: third tube from the left, and straight on till morning

Postby Stay_Puft_marshmallows » Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:53 am UTC

SMAC effing ROCKS.

Especially with SMAX.

Captain Svensgaard merged with the planetmind MANY times.
text goes where?

NMcCoy

Postby NMcCoy » Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:56 am UTC

GodShapedBullet wrote:
Gracenotes wrote:

Flaws though it may have, I prefer Spore to Hyper Fang, Gracenotes.

Why limit yourself to one or the other?

(also if Will Wright made a game called Hyper Fang I would buy it)

Edit: Also
ImageImage
Last edited by NMcCoy on Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:09 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Steve the Pocket

Postby Steve the Pocket » Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:04 am UTC

pyroman wrote:

cant say that i am too excited about spore myself. To be perfectly honest every time i see it i keep thinking oh great. This is going to bring on a whole new serries of crap from creationist "SEE THE WORLD WAS INTELLIGENTLY DESIGNED! Silly science there's no such thing as evolution"

Yeah, that's what I thought too. For all the flak it's apparently been getting for "promoting evolution", the mere fact that it's a "god game" kind of undermines that idea. Really I can imagine anyone who expects the game to validate their side of that debate is going to be rather disappointed. Theistic evolutionists on the other hand will be rather happy, I guess.
cephalopod9 wrote:Only on Xkcd can you start a topic involving Hitler and people spend the better part of half a dozen pages arguing about the quality of Operating Systems.

Baige.

Ctta0s

Postby Ctta0s » Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:07 am UTC

My SMAX disk is gone!!! :(

But, thankfully, carbonized SMAC actually runs on my Intel Mac. So yay! :)

SakuPrimo

Postby SakuPrimo » Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:07 am UTC

Eh, Spore runs on the GMA X3100 equipped Macbooks. Personally, I like Spore. Every time I get tired of one aspect of the game, I just do something else on it.

Gravitas Shortfall

Postby Gravitas Shortfall » Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:10 am UTC

Awesome comic, if only for the Alpha Centauri reference. That thing is 8 years old, but still pretty much the greatest game ever.
We come from people who brought us up to believe that life is a struggle. And if you should ever feel really happy, be patient. This will pass.
- Garrison Keillor -

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:13 am UTC

Isn't Populous more like the Tribal Phase and not the Civ stage (which is instead like Civ...), so shouldn't he go Populous -> Civ.

I'm probably wrong.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

glasnt

Postby glasnt » Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:15 am UTC

joee wrote:Pssst, glasnt, add a link to the comic page to your OP.

Whoops. Just fixed it.

I has sads over Spore. It was going to be awesome, but wasn't :(

Gracenotes

Postby Gracenotes » Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:15 am UTC

NMcCoy wrote:Edit: Also
ImageImage

Ah, so that's why Smeargle's attack stat is so low.

folkhero

Postby folkhero » Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:16 am UTC

Gravitas Shortfall wrote:Awesome comic, if only for the Alpha Centauri reference. That thing is 8 years old, but still pretty much the greatest game ever.

If I had a nickle for every hour I spent playing Alpha Centauri, I would probably have enough money to buy Spore. There were just so many cool and addictive things about that game; attacking cities with mind-worms always made me feel evil and powerful, and wiping out those smug Believers always felt so good. Plus the quotes that came with the technologies and secret projects were almost all interesting.
To all law enforcement entities, this is not an admission of guilt...

vodka.cobra

Postby vodka.cobra » Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:22 am UTC

Gracenotes wrote:
NMcCoy wrote:Edit: Also
ImageImage

Ah, so that's why Smeargle's attack stat is so low.

OH GOD MY EYES!
If the above comment has anything to do with hacking or cryptography, note that I work for a PHP security company and might know what I'm talking about.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”