0480: "Spore"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Kain

Re: "Spore" Discussion

Postby Kain » Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:25 am UTC

The Alpha Centauri reference makes the comic... even if it took me two years to beat on easy.
(In my defence, I first played it while under a 102 fever, so between whatever delusions I was having, and the mindworms, I was literally terrified of the game for the better part of a year).

I was hyped for the release of spore, having, perhaps wisely, decided not to bring any games with me up to college (last semesters = epic fail due in part to Metroid Prime). Then I realized that I don't have a car up here, nor is there a good store in walking distance, and I didn't know my mailbox.

In other words, fate decreed I should not buy spore, so I listened. Wisely.

PS. Only the first 150 count.
Look, you know it's serious when a bunch of people in full armor and gear come charging in to fight a pond of chickens - Steax

ThemePark

Postby ThemePark » Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:29 am UTC

DustinErnst wrote:I'm not really all that excited about Spore. I think I'm the only one. :/

The only two. I've found Spore to be incredibly hyped up since the first day I heard about it.

A few weeks ago I bought a laptop, and a free game came with it (which the receipt or the order hadn't said anything about). Guess which one?

Spore Creature Creator, of course. :roll:

Edit:
Just read over the first 10 posts, and I've already been ninja'ed. Several times.

madhollywood wrote:I don't even want to think about how much time I could waste if I revisted my old game library. I will probably play Spore at some point, but I am not especially excited about it. Maybe it will surprise me.

I DO want to think of that, hell I even want to build an old school computer just for all the good old games I have, and want.
I have traveled from 1979 to be a member of the unofficial board Council of Elders. Phear M3

FearfulFerret

Postby FearfulFerret » Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:32 am UTC

Well, personally, I just picked up Galactic Civilizations 2, and I've noticed that it shares an alarming amount of its content with the Civilization series. Since they're both great games, I even thought of playing through a game of Civ 4, winning by space race, and then starting GalCiv2 with a custom race modeled after my other one.

All that was before I read this comic. So it was especially funny, for that and Yahtzee's review covering pretty much the exact same thing. Also, make it 3, because I've played far too many simulation games for me to get excited about something that covers a lot of area, but is shallow throughout. I've already played far more complicated versions of most of Spore's subsets, so why would I play a game that tries to beat all of them?

El Cool

Postby El Cool » Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:46 am UTC

hehehe
this comic made me feel exactly like Spore did:
while it was loading I was excited.
After I read it... I was "ok cool".

Waited about 2 years for the game.... only played it for 3 days.
If I play it more, would be to not waste my money.
Creature stage should have been much longer and deeper.

Spore did spark me to go back and play Sims 2.
- There are 10 types of people in this world: those that understand binary and those that don't -

zeigfreid

Postby zeigfreid » Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:49 am UTC

Hi

I'm also disappointed by Spore! I can't honestly say that it is better than E.V.O.. for the SNES. Sorry Maxis?

In the game I wanted to play, you evolve when you die and your choices are based on how you died. As it stands you can completely change your creature any time without any impact: go from a flying guy to an eight legged guy with a big hammer on his tale. Not a game about evolution at all then, is it?

Bibarel has Hyper Fang too. You know.

z.

glasnt

Postby glasnt » Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:56 am UTC

Told ya so : http://digg.com/comics_animation/Spore_XKCD <-- faster than this thread. :(

Also, CIVIII is better than Spore.

The first 150 count.

Tennis balls are yellow.

The plane takes off.

almightyze

Postby almightyze » Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:00 am UTC

pyroman wrote:
DustinErnst wrote:I'm not really all that excited about Spore. I think I'm the only one. :/

cant say that i am too excited about spore myself. To be perfectly honest every time i see it i keep thinking oh great. This is going to bring on a whole new serries of crap from creationist "SEE THE WORLD WAS INTELLIGENTLY DESIGNED! Silly science there's no such thing as evolution"

Oh shut up. :evil: It's like you took an orange and said "I can make apple juice with this." Creationists may be stupid, but they're not so irrational as to use a video game as a point to their cause. Hell, most of them probably think video games are toys from the Devil.

But yeah, Spore. About that... :mrgreen:

My biggest beef with this whole game is not the DRM, even though I am an ardent copyleftist. No, my beef is this:

This game was probably finished a year ago, the state it is in now.

The fact that the game is so ridiculously shallow despite several years of development is an insult to anyone's intelligence. Clearly, the year spent "finishing and twerking" was aimed squarely at the content editors and not at the gameplay itself. Otherwise, the game would have been out sooner and/or would have at least suffered a delay or two. The infrastructure that the game has in place is capable of so much more. They could have added many more options on both an environmental and gameplay level without risking an increase of complexity. If the intended point was to expand upon gameplay in expansion packs, then the only conclusion is this:

Wil Wright is no longer an artist or auteur. He is a corporate shill and a SELLOUT.

I want to meet the fucking prick just so I can call him out as such.

glasnt wrote:The first 150 count.

???
01010011 01110100 01101111 01110000 00100000
01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 01101001
01101110 01100111 00100000 01100010 01101001
01101110 01100001 01110010 01111001 00101110

Allah o akbar! Azadi!

Nemphael

Postby Nemphael » Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:18 am UTC

I was, like a lot people, psyched about Spore for the past few years. Four or five years, was it? Huge letdown anyhow. Of course I found the first few stages, mostly cell and creature, to be quite amusing, but it went downhill from there. When you buy a game they've been developing for the past decade or so, don't you expect there to be more? Still, Spore is all about evolution.

SoapyHobo
Soap. It's, uhh, not actually that good

Postby SoapyHobo » Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:21 am UTC

Gelsamel wrote:Isn't Populous more like the Tribal Phase and not the Civ stage (which is instead like Civ...), so shouldn't he go Populous -> Civ.

I'm probably wrong.
No, Populous IS like the tribal phase and Alpha Centauri is Civilization set in space (you don't start on earth, also SMAC has editing ;) ). His next game is the Space phase, something like Freelancer perhaps?
Jack Saladin wrote:Goddamn that's an awesome ****, Soapy. Once they get around to making artificial **** and I replace my crappy original ones, I'm gonna make mine look like that.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:23 am UTC

SoapyHobo wrote:
Gelsamel wrote:Isn't Populous more like the Tribal Phase and not the Civ stage (which is instead like Civ...), so shouldn't he go Populous -> Civ.

I'm probably wrong.
No, Populous IS like the tribal phase and Alpha Centauri is Civilization set in space (you don't start on earth, also SMAC has editing ;) ). His next game is the Space phase, something like Freelancer perhaps?

Oh right I guess, but I remember Alpha Centauri being really similar map-wise and colony wise to the space phase.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

Patren

Postby Patren » Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:43 am UTC

Do we really need any other games besides CivIII and Alpha Centuri? I can barely place CivIII without it sucking all the life out of me. Alpha Centuri is banned on my computer. Too many hours, too many days, too many weeks, too many months lost.

lunarul

Postby lunarul » Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:21 am UTC

I wasted a lot of hours on spore... I am still at my first game (trying to beat the space phase) and I am really excited thinking about what I will do different in the next game. There are three possible outcomes to each phase, unlocking various 'powers' for the next phases. I will be playing this game a lot more in the future to explore all possibilities. If you really want to explore the game and find all it's possibilities and earn all badges, etc, then there's a lot to it. I have been playing in the space age for a long time and I'm still discovering new things.
As someone said, it gets annoying that you get called back home to fight aliens, but I learned to just ignore pirates if they are too far away (they can take the spice; I wouldn't go back there for spice, anyway). As for other races, they don't attack that far back (as a Warrior race, I didn't leave any enemies standing behind me). What is really annoying in the space age is that it doesn't get easier to get money as you progress (like in other games, where as you get bigger and bigger you get more and more money and power)... you have to work hard for those Sporebucks and items are more and more expensive (I had to pay 1,500,000 Sporebucks for black-hole travel and my next bomb upgrade goes near 2 billion SB).
And as someone else said, you are the only ship in your whole empire! This really sucks, as all other empires seem to have a lot of ships, but I have to admit their ships are a lot weaker. But allies are a lot of help (having four extra ships carrying out the dogfights while I destroy the cities makes planet conquering a lot easier).

Wow, long rant...

P.S: spelling 'ship' is really hard after reading 'The Wee Free Men' (my head says /ʃɪp/, but my fingers want to spell 'sheep')
P.P.S: by the way, I didn't buy Spore, I never bought a game in my life. i'm playing a cracked copy with thousands of user creatures added to it. it's the same as playing online with a payed copy
I'm not anti-social; I'm just not user friendly

Bloobeard

Postby Bloobeard » Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:34 am UTC

Populous is one of my all-time faves. I loved getting ridiculous amounts of mana and building up all of my land and then drowning the opposition. When is someone going to re-make it for the DS? I would buy one if they did.

I preferred MOO2 to Alpha Centuri

martinw89

Postby martinw89 » Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:36 am UTC

Since we don't have a good one for cell stage yet:

I haven't played Spore but the reviews of cell stage always reminded me of this game
In Python, you can even see into the __future__!

ThemePark

Postby ThemePark » Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:39 am UTC

Balsamic wrote:
roc314 wrote:What game would you play for the cell stage of Spore?

Game of Life?

I was fascinated by Spore when it was first announced. This interest was fuelled by my own work with procedural texture and 3d terrain generation at the time. All this time later however, that interest has completely waned.

Agreed. And then Gazillionaire for the space part.

Bloobeard wrote:Populous is one of my all-time faves. I loved getting ridiculous amounts of mana and building up all of my land and then drowning the opposition. When is someone going to re-make it for the DS? I would buy one if they did.

I preferred MOO2 to Alpha Centuri

"On September 20, 2007 it was confirmed that a version of the game is in development for the Nintendo DS."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Populous

Also NMcCoy, you win this thread.
I have traveled from 1979 to be a member of the unofficial board Council of Elders. Phear M3

orange7

Postby orange7 » Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:40 am UTC

The alt-tag ire is a little misplaced. We worked very hard to make the game run okay on Intel Integrated chipsets, much more so than your average game. On OS X the issue with the GMA 950 is that Apple's OpenGL drivers are crap -- the software vertex processing is literally five times slower under game load than the exact same machine running DirectX under XP. If you want this fixed, bug Apple, but they seem to have little interest in the matter.

So, if you use BootCamp to dual-boot XP on the MacBook/950 (or the mini), you can play the game just fine. For what it's worth, my laptop is also an older MacBook, and I hate dual-booting, so I was pretty unthrilled about this situation too.

(The other one I love is where people blame us for requiring Leopard. What are we supposed to do when Apple tie graphics driver bugfixes -- and boy do they have some bugs to fix -- to the latest OS release?)

TheoGB

Postby TheoGB » Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:43 am UTC

Did populous even come out on 3.5" discs for the PC? :D Well I guess so but props to anyone running a 15-year old game or whatever it is.

Was Powermonger the sequel? It's such a long time ago...

sukanu

Postby sukanu » Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:46 am UTC

Balsamic wrote:

Game of Life?

I was fascinated by Spore when it was first announced. This interest was fuelled by my own work with procedural texture and 3d terrain generation at the time. All this time later however, that interest has completely waned.

Hmmm, or how about, oh gee I don't know FlOw?

lunarul

Postby lunarul » Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:50 am UTC

Bloobeard wrote:I preferred MOO2 to Alpha Centuri

Agreed... MOO2 was a great game.

I never played the original Populous, but I loved Populous: The Beginning.

Bloobeard

Postby Bloobeard » Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:51 am UTC

TheoGB wrote:
Was Powermonger the sequel? It's such a long time ago...

Yes, it was. Sadly it was vastly inferior.

Bloobeard

Postby Bloobeard » Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:59 am UTC

ThemePark wrote:"On September 20, 2007 it was confirmed that a version of the game is in development for the Nintendo DS."

Words cannot express my joy. Going to buy a DS lite in time for the English release in October! Goodbye world!

NMcCoy

Postby NMcCoy » Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:01 am UTC

Kain wrote:PS. Only the first 150 count.

The giant magnetic nose refuses to comment on this matter.

PS. GIANT MAGNETIC NOSE

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:37 am UTC

ThemePark wrote:Gazillionaire for the space part.

That game was so good, seriously.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

Whyareall

Postby Whyareall » Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:06 am UTC

ThemePark wrote:Agreed. And then Gazillionaire for the space part.

OH MY GOD, SOMEONE ELSE KNOWS GAZILLIONAIRE!!!!!!

I played it (only the demo), though since I was... how old? Seven or eight. Everyone else HATED it. I mean it. EVERYONE who I showed it to DESPISED it. But apart from the general lack of other people liking it, I have many good memories.
'; DROP DATABASE;-- wrote:The problem with imagination is it does a lousy job of interacting with the physical world. And you look crazy when you talk to it.

petermottola

Postby petermottola » Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:17 am UTC

Alpha Centauri was amazing. My favorite memory is having downloaded the trial of Alien Crossfire and then opening up the game files to edit in new pieces of terrain onto the map (e.g. the Manifold Nexus). I loved that everything was just stored in files that you could easily edit in notepad. Want to replace one of the original factions with a new one? Just change the appropriate files, switch out some images, and viola! If ever SMAC/SMAX is available for download from Firaxis ... I'll probably play it again at some point.

Indie88
Hi I'm new and I can't read/spell/other

Postby Indie88 » Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:42 am UTC

I've heard it's been dumbed down a lot so that super casual gamers can enjoy it. Why couldn't they put two seperate modes in? I have no problem with a game that takes me longer than a week to complete.
Belial wrote:"It doesn't matter what I do, someone will get pissed off so I'll do what I want anyway, as I'll get yelled at no matter what."

hh10k

Postby hh10k » Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:43 am UTC

lunarul wrote:P.P.S: by the way, I didn't buy Spore, I never bought a game in my life. i'm playing a cracked copy with thousands of user creatures added to it. it's the same as playing online with a payed copy

Except that it's like stealing! Yay!

If you don't like the price, or you don't like the DRM, the correct response is to play something else. Not pirate it.

slaufer

Postby slaufer » Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:52 am UTC

I was actually pleasantly surprised by the performance of the GMA950 under Windows and Linux (after getting DRI working properly). Honestly it's not very useful under Linux though, due to its poor support for OpenGL, although its DirectX 9 support seems to be complete. The 945GM with 64MB shared in my laptop ran World of Warcraft well enough with all the settings down to play in a group.

I didn't know any Macs had them, though. Which Mac is this?

irdsm

Postby irdsm » Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:21 am UTC

hh10k wrote:
lunarul wrote:P.P.S: by the way, I didn't buy Spore, I never bought a game in my life. i'm playing a cracked copy with thousands of user creatures added to it. it's the same as playing online with a payed copy

Except that it's like stealing! Yay!

If you don't like the price, or you don't like the DRM, the correct response is to play something else. Not pirate it.

I support his decision to pirate it. I pirated my own version. The DRM is unfair and I as a consumer won't stand for it. And I won't not play the game.

Spore is the first new game I've pirated in my lifetime though. Usually, if I pirate games it is only because they are several years old and I have trouble finding a copy. I support the game industry when I can, but I won't support the spyware and tricks included in spore. They didn't install it to protect it from pirates, cause it was cracked before the official release date (they released it early in Australia). They put it there to hurt the average consumer and used game sellers. And I am completely against that.

That said, I like it okay. It's not a great game, but it is fun and the creature stage is pretty sweet. I wish it was deeper.

Dan

tgape

Postby tgape » Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:33 am UTC

What's Spore?

Ok, I admit, I've heard of it - I read UserFriendly, and all. But I haven't had sufficient interest to find out any more than has been mentioned in said reference and here. (And I've only skimmed the prior posts.)

mrbaggins

Postby mrbaggins » Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:24 pm UTC

Either I've missed a memo or something, because DRM doesn't go with Spore, that I can see. What's it do that it shouldn't?

And I'm tech-savvy, feel free to use big words.

And I also have a non-legit version, and also believe the game falls over at the tribal stage. I've taken two species to tribal before giving up... haven't played it for a week.
Why is it that 4chan is either infinitely awesome, infinitely bad, or "lolwut", but never any intermediary level?

TerraFire

Postby TerraFire » Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:25 pm UTC

Now I'm not going to be able to think of anything but Spore all day...

Stay_Puft_marshmallows
Location: third tube from the left, and straight on till morning

Postby Stay_Puft_marshmallows » Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:37 pm UTC

Mary had a little lamb, Little lamb little lamb, Mary had a little lamb, whose fleece was white as snow.

* Assassins' Redoubt Final Transmission

Dammit that video creeped me out.
text goes where?

Jebobek

Postby Jebobek » Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:37 pm UTC

Many of us XCKD forum-goers have counted down the days and proceeded to go "meh" when it released. Some made angry "Mehs." All can be found in the 19-page Spore thread O.o

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=18354&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

I hope Randall reads up before he buys

haliblix

Postby haliblix » Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:40 pm UTC

Indie88 wrote:

I've heard it's been dumbed down a lot so that super casual gamers can enjoy it. Why couldn't they put two seperate modes in? I have no problem with a game that takes me longer than a week to complete.

The thing that concerns me is the fact that Spore is divided up into sections. All the previous Will Wright games struck me as "Here's your sandbox, your sand, and your tools. Go nuts." and i did. Spending countless hours in SimCity trying my best to turn my city into a police state trying to rid crime (which btw a lot of crime near power lines and the nuclear plant for some reason) or desperately trying to get that balance between commerce, industry, and housing. There was no "when you're done with this kind of fun, you unlock another type of fun." Then again this game is is a complete departure from most of Wright's stuff (you can actually win the game and you concentrate on one species instead of everything at once).

Dobblesworth
Dobblesworth, here's the title you requested over three years ago. -Banana

Postby Dobblesworth » Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:41 pm UTC

Spore is interesting. I do like the unique concept of playing the game through various match stages, but I probably won't be picking it up. I'm not too concerned about EA's restrictive DRM policy of 3 installations per game copy, as it's not all that restrictive (I upgrade machines only about every 4 years); well, assuming you don't get hard drive failure or they don't decide to make it Steamable in future.
From reading a review in PCGamer, it does seem to get mixed feelings on the gameplay aspect. Space-stage is designed as the pinnacle endgame, but to reach that takes several hours of investment and to complete that takes eons. I'd rather just sit on WoW. It was a bit overhyped for the 5 years of delays. Heck I must have first read about it when I first found out about Hellgate London's initial development.

I wouldn't mind sitting down to play the AoE2 campaign mode on heavy difficulty setting in a similar vein to this simulation of the time investment and gameplay.

fealuinix

Postby fealuinix » Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:48 pm UTC

I dunno...Conway's game of life?

edit: dammit, Balsamic beat me, and I missed it...
Last edited by fealuinix on Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:54 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

GCM

Postby GCM » Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:51 pm UTC

Ahh, Spore. I'm tempted to just say "Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo" and go do my calc, but I'd like to think I'm a little more mature than that.

Nope.
All warfare is based on heavily-armed robotic commandos.
~Sun Tzu

Notes: My last avatar was "Vote Robot Nixon", so I'm gonna keep a list here. :D

InvisblePinkUnicorn

Postby InvisblePinkUnicorn » Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:07 pm UTC

I think I'll go play Mission Critical and get stuck in the same spot, trying to figure out how to stop the radiation leak.

Devan

Postby Devan » Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:23 pm UTC

Trust me you're not missing anything. Wait for the 12 expansion packs EA will release. Then pick them up for $20 total. This will be their next Sims series.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”