0161: "Accident"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Shoofle

0161: "Accident"

Postby Shoofle » Fri Sep 22, 2006 4:01 am UTC

So I've been thinking about how you could make a katamari, and so far the idea I've had that would be most likely to be functional was the idea of giant magnets. Thoughts?

Sitnaltax

Postby Sitnaltax » Fri Sep 22, 2006 4:06 am UTC

A tiny chunk of neutronium?
I will not succumb to evil, unless she's cute.

EM-002.rv-L "Tem Cu

Postby EM-002.rv-L "Tem Cu » Fri Sep 22, 2006 4:07 am UTC

I've been waiting for someone to make this comic... PA and VGCats dropped the ball on this one, and Xkcd picked it up, only to slam dunk it.

And if you're going to make a Katamari, Dark Matter and a localized gravity controller must somehow be involved. Oh, and Minovsky Particles, too. And if you can throw some Photonic Energy in the mix, you're gold like the hammer.

EDIT: And Chemical X was somehow involved in the creation of the Little Prince. ...The King of All Cosmos likes it for the kick it has.
When you have at your disposal a hammer made of three spacefaring battleships, do you still need to pay taxes?

Marrow

Postby Marrow » Fri Sep 22, 2006 4:24 am UTC

If you ask me, the mail box deserved it. Though the stickiness only works if you are rolling the car along. For maximum effectiveness you would have to have some sort of gravitational phenomena, whatever you want to actually call it black hole or whatever. The problem with magnets is of course that it prevents you from picking up anything that can't be given a magnetic charge, like people. I know I was just waiting to get big enough to roll up people, they sorta deserved it kicking you around just cuz you LOOK like a ball. Even though the ball does gettin bigger it does tend to absorb the items as well so there is a bit of a destructive force, or a very strong compacting action. Also you need to find a way to prevent yourself from adhering to the ball as well. Perhaps the prince himself had too low a density to be absorbed, or it could just be some cosmic entity cop out.

I think the world might be a better place if we were all rolled together onto a new and nerfier looking globe.

(My first thought was Velcro)
Nonconformists unite for paradox.

wisnij

Postby wisnij » Fri Sep 22, 2006 4:58 am UTC

That's why you need an SUV, so you can pick up people. Those little compact cars will only knock kids off their bikes and make them spin upside-down for a couple seconds.
I burn the cheese. It does not burn me.

wisnij

Re: Official "Accident" Discussion

Postby wisnij » Fri Sep 22, 2006 5:01 am UTC

Shoofle wrote:So I've been thinking about how you could make a katamari, and so far the idea I've had that would be most likely to be functional was the idea of giant magnets. Thoughts?

The katamari holds a large volume of super-sticky, nano-motile goo (like goober-gun rounds). After attaching a new item, a thin layer of this goo spreads over it, extending the stickiness "field" further. If you were extremely clever you could program it to only accept objects in certain size ranges, or at least set a lower bound so you're not constantly picking up sand and dirt and crap.

Jack Saladin
X is kiss

Postby Jack Saladin » Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:27 am UTC

This comic wins the universe.

And your petty sciences won't create a katamari, you need something more. More divine. More omnipotent.

Funk.

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Fri Sep 22, 2006 8:16 am UTC

I have never played this game.

fo0bar

Postby fo0bar » Fri Sep 22, 2006 9:23 am UTC

EM-002.rv-L "Tem Cu wrote:I've been waiting for someone to make this comic... PA and VGCats dropped the ball on this one, and Xkcd picked it up, only to slam dunk it.

FYI, P.A. did do a Katamari strip: behold

Also, hi.

Shoofle

Postby Shoofle » Fri Sep 22, 2006 11:13 am UTC

I figure that one you get the magnet powerful enough, as in MRI levels, it picks up on trace amounts of iron in everything as well as watches and stuff. The only problem is that I wouldn't be able to roll up Magneto...

MightyMouse

Postby MightyMouse » Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:37 pm UTC

Maybe if you find a child who's mutation weirdly happens to remove other people's mutations, use him to make a kind of mutant-vaccine, get attacked by famke janssen (who happens to be in need of therapy), have a few pointless subplots with a guy with wings and a lack-of love triangle with some teenagers, shoot Magneto with the vaccine and get Hugh Jackman to save the day; maybe then you can build your katamari.

Ephphatha

Postby Ephphatha » Fri Sep 22, 2006 1:42 pm UTC

Wolverine will be buggered by a giant magnetic ball. Didn't you see what magneto did to him?

Shii

Postby Shii » Fri Sep 22, 2006 2:42 pm UTC

I don't understand why Boing Boing picked this up, it's funny and all but it isn't all that ground-breaking.

ozroller

Postby ozroller » Fri Sep 22, 2006 3:40 pm UTC

Someone at Boing loves xkcd. Is this the 5th linkage now? Not that I'm complaining, it's how I found here. Where I am now, that is. Which is the xkcd forums. But you don't need me to tell you that.

wisnij

Postby wisnij » Fri Sep 22, 2006 3:43 pm UTC

fo0bar wrote:
EM-002.rv-L "Tem Cu wrote:I've been waiting for someone to make this comic... PA and VGCats dropped the ball on this one, and Xkcd picked it up, only to slam dunk it.

So did TFD, sort of: Katamari Democracy.

wisnij

Postby wisnij » Fri Sep 22, 2006 4:05 pm UTC

Shoofle wrote:I figure that one you get the magnet powerful enough, as in MRI levels, it picks up on trace amounts of iron in everything as well as watches and stuff. The only problem is that I wouldn't be able to roll up Magneto...

It doesn't work that way. You'd need large amounts of iron (or another ferromagnetic element) for the force to make any difference. Most materials, water in particular, are diamagnetic.

DaveFP

Postby DaveFP » Sat Sep 23, 2006 2:36 am UTC

Is it bad that I was singing along to the tune of 'hey Jude' whist reading this one?

EM-002.rv-L "Tem Cu

Postby EM-002.rv-L "Tem Cu » Sat Sep 23, 2006 5:58 am UTC

fo0bar wrote:

Also, hi.

Hi yourself. ...And it seems like the Katamari is almost too big for people to be picked up...
When you have at your disposal a hammer made of three spacefaring battleships, do you still need to pay taxes?

Cowie

Postby Cowie » Sat Sep 23, 2006 2:24 pm UTC

sometimes I play katamari with a malformed magnet on my refrigerator, rolling up all the magnetic poetry
'na na, na na na na na na na~ na gonna fuckup your poetry...'
other times i turn on my ps2.

ulnevets

Postby ulnevets » Sat Sep 23, 2006 5:58 pm UTC

how about an ultra-sticky bioslime?

Marrow

Postby Marrow » Sat Sep 23, 2006 9:07 pm UTC

Saladin wrote:This comic wins the universe.

And your petty sciences won't create a katamari, you need something more. More divine. More omnipotent.

Funk.

Yes, but if we use divinity to create a Katamari its just bam and it is there. Besides that sort of divine power is not in my paradigm.

wisnij wrote:
Shoofle wrote:So I've been thinking about how you could make a katamari, and so far the idea I've had that would be most likely to be functional was the idea of giant magnets. Thoughts?

The katamari holds a large volume of super-sticky, nano-motile goo (like goober-gun rounds). After attaching a new item, a thin layer of this goo spreads over it, extending the stickiness "field" further. If you were extremely clever you could program it to only accept objects in certain size ranges, or at least set a lower bound so you're not constantly picking up sand and dirt and crap.

This seems like the best plan so far. If you are able to get the viscosity just right it won't break off of the main ball and would be able to coat the items recently added. Ideally it should be clear, and I wouldn't worry about picking up dirt though, your are going to be big enough that it won't be a problem unless you are in snow.

Matt

Postby Matt » Sun Sep 24, 2006 8:37 am UTC

Just wanna state the obvious and say everybody should have the Katamari Damashii OST in their car somewhere. It is a supremely awesome collection of music. More Crimson Rose and Gin Tonic and its slick "Don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing" jazz quote.
Hi. I'm from Massachusetts.

Shoofle

Postby Shoofle » Sun Sep 24, 2006 1:04 pm UTC

Oh, I understand now! The katamari itself is actually a fusion/fission machine! When you roll up enough stuff, it starts converting the innermost items into glue with which to cover the outer items, leaving only what is needed to keep the structural integrity of the whole thing!

wisnij

Postby wisnij » Mon Sep 25, 2006 1:30 am UTC

Marrow wrote:
wisnij wrote:The katamari holds a large volume of super-sticky, nano-motile goo (like goober-gun rounds). After attaching a new item, a thin layer of this goo spreads over it, extending the stickiness "field" further. If you were extremely clever you could program it to only accept objects in certain size ranges, or at least set a lower bound so you're not constantly picking up sand and dirt and crap.

This seems like the best plan so far. If you are able to get the viscosity just right it won't break off of the main ball and would be able to coat the items recently added. Ideally it should be clear, and I wouldn't worry about picking up dirt though, your are going to be big enough that it won't be a problem unless you are in snow.

The nanobots will bond objects together with superglue-like strength. If necessary they can also form a stiff skin around an object to add structural support if it isn't strong enough on its own, particularly for items closer to the core that won't be as visible from outside. (A thin layer should be relatively transparent, but can't provide as much strength.)

Viscosity as such is not a concern, as this is not merely a passive substance. When the user rolls over an item within the programmed size range, the nanogoo (rainbow goo?) actively flows around and over the item to bond it to the rest of the katamari. Otherwise, it acts like a rigid resin-like substance encasing the various items.

allfivesenses

Postby allfivesenses » Wed Sep 27, 2006 12:01 am UTC

Marrow

Postby Marrow » Wed Sep 27, 2006 1:37 am UTC

Yes, we have seen the effect, but what about the how, we can't just use CG for the whole thing, can we?

thomasjmaccoll

Postby thomasjmaccoll » Tue Jan 23, 2007 1:50 am UTC

the first time reading the xkcd archives, i kind of breezed past this one, not knowing what katamari damacy was. i've still never played the original, as we only get 'we love katamari' here in the uk, but i played it last week for the first time, and it was INCREDIBLE fun. the fun may have been slightly augmented by the fact that my friends and i were a little chemically helped towards a better state of mind, but it was still excellent. then tonight, searching for xkcd on boingboing, i found it, and laughed a lot... :D

of course, my friends and i were thinking how we could make a human version of the game, but we didn't come up with anything as good as what's here... one idea i quite liked but which would have to be used in a small, specially created environment, is that you start with a highly magnetised ball, and are released onto a course covered with many light, hollow metal balls, in varying sizes, from small to very large. as you get bigger, the magnetism would spread to the new balls you picked up and so on... you could even play 2 player, and see who had the bigger ball once they were all cleared. however, not being to the scientific standard of most people on here, i don't know how feasible this is in terms of magnetism and stuff... i liked the idea though.

and of course, we were all walking about the streets the next day, saying 'do you think i could pick up that?' and 'is there enough in this street that we could get that car by the end of it?'

one last idea was that it would totally lend itself to the wii, with 2 wiimotes per player, one for each hand... what a game, can't wait to get a chance to play it again. :)
slow down, you move too fast

Zerathidune

Postby Zerathidune » Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:40 pm UTC

Sitnaltax wrote:A tiny chunk of neutronium?

a chunk of netronium would rip its way through the earth until it reached the same altitude it was released from on the other side of the planet, then fall back and start doing simple harmonic motion.

That would be amazing, but not what we're looking for.

I like nano-motile goo. I also like the name rainbow goo.

gormster

Postby gormster » Tue Sep 11, 2007 3:05 am UTC

Alt Text wrote:As far as treachery-as-driving-music goes, Katamari music is matched only by Guitar Hero music.

I would think that the music from the GTAIII radio would be worse.
Eddie Izzard wrote:And poetry! Poetry is a lot like music, only less notes and more words.

user

Postby user » Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:30 am UTC

I've never played Katamari before, but I think this change is more relevant for me:
Attachments
pbjt.png
pbjt.png (25.3 KiB) Viewed 9926 times

muteKi
Angry is too weak a term. Try "Fluffy".

Postby muteKi » Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:08 am UTC

That's a funny take on it, if subtle.

I've had a few strange collisions involving THIS SONG and a few good jewelers.

It's an expensive addiction.

likeem

Postby likeem » Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:47 pm UTC

While we're into bad driving influences..

Initial D owes me for wrecking a Toyota in a right-hand turn. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBKAUDI0KJI

Drifting is fun when you can hear wheels slip on asphalt. Gravel roads, not so much..

TV4Fun

Postby TV4Fun » Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:00 pm UTC

POST A LINK TO THE FUCKING STRIP!!!

(Sorry, I was looking for this strip in the search, but it did not seem to be finding it, so it would've been nice if this thread had had the link)
$_[0] wrote:rule 2:
Once a relationship ends, physical access to all relevant machinery is denied.

TrueNarnian

Re: 0161: "Accident"

Postby TrueNarnian » Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:32 pm UTC

The author of the title text has obviously never driven with his brother in the passenger seat playing MarioKart on a game boy with an aux cable so the sound came out of the car stereo.

KarenRei

Re: 0161: "Accident"

Postby KarenRei » Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:25 am UTC

Well, there's the obvious limitations of things having to be magnetic and the rapid decline in attractive power with distance.

What about a big reservoir of air-stabilized adhesive superfluid (aka, it'd flow around the surface but become tacky when no longer exposed to air)? Though it'd have to be suspended on an air cushion or something to keep it from bonding with the ground... Hmm, come to think of it, that's a big Katamari physics problem. How is it that it either *completely bonds* with something, or doesn't bond with it *at all*, based on the size/mass of the object? If the size/mass is X it completely bonds but if it's X-0.00000001 it doesn't so much as exert the slightest tug on the katamari. Now how could *that* work? Hmmm... And another one: how come the katamari never gets stuck? Aka, you bond with a sink, alright, maybe it's not the heaviest/largest thing in the world, but it's still *anchored to the home's plumbing*. Whenever the katamari picks something up, it instantly breaks off from whatever it was attached to, based on its "objectness", whether a person would see it as a whole - again, without the slightest tug to you.

I think Maxwell's demon has taken up a new job working for the King of the Cosmos to manage katamari physics....

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”