0481: "Listen to Yourself"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

gtkarber

0481: "Listen to Yourself"

Postby gtkarber » Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:02 am UTC

http://www.xkcd.com/481

Alt-text: "Man, I just wanted to know how babby was formed."

I'm going to be honest, I didn't get the alt-text at first. All in all, though, excellent comic: if only there were programmers out there writing constructive viruses. I need one that'll worm its way onto my computer and berate me for checking my email too often.
Last edited by gtkarber on Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:04 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.

TheHand

Re: "Listen to Yourself"

Postby TheHand » Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:02 am UTC

Indeed you are, old boy.

Indeed you are.

Rendon

Postby Rendon » Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:03 am UTC

how girl get pragnent?

sje46

Postby sje46 » Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:04 am UTC

I lovce the title text.

One of the funniest things on the internet.
General_Norris: Taking pride in your nation is taking pride in the division of humanity.
Pirate.Bondage: Let's get married. Right now.

sje46

Postby sje46 » Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:04 am UTC

Rendon wrote:how girl get pragnent?

they have to way instain mother.
General_Norris: Taking pride in your nation is taking pride in the division of humanity.
Pirate.Bondage: Let's get married. Right now.

Rhombix

Postby Rhombix » Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:05 am UTC

I saw that the time was 4:59 and scrambled to start today's thread, but I had to log in and everything, and given the time it would take to paste this links, I assumed someone would already have posted it.

Two and a half minutes? I could have won the game :cry:

TheHand

Postby TheHand » Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:05 am UTC

Oh man, just realized from the third post... we are in for a hell of a ride on this one.

atrain

Postby atrain » Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:05 am UTC

This is a much needed virus. Unfortunately, about 50% of people still would post on youtube, even after hearing themselves :( The virus should identify people who post their stupidity, and cut them off the 'net.

Shortgeek

Postby Shortgeek » Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:05 am UTC

Question: does it read it aloud to you and then submit, submit and then read it aloud to you, or read it aloud to you and then ask you if you want to submit again?

The third choice is clearly the right one for a practical self-realization, but the first one seems to be what the comic implies.

madhollywood

Postby madhollywood » Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:05 am UTC

This is a fantastic idea for a virus. I hope to never make a comment on a XKCD thread that is as inane as most comments on youtube. I trust you all will call me on it if I do and I enthusiastically invite you to call me a moron in such a case.

gtkarber

Re: "Listen to Yourself" Discussion

Postby gtkarber » Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:06 am UTC

MCSAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!2

Edit: this was a joke about youtube comments, but then I thought, "oh, what if someone thinks I'm a moron," so I changed it.
Last edited by gtkarber on Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:08 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

vrazix

Postby vrazix » Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:07 am UTC

aha. alt text is brilliant.

anyway, i've been saying for months that the epitome of intelligence resides in youtube comments. i regularly go on there to remind myself how brilliant i really am.

Rhombix

Postby Rhombix » Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:08 am UTC

C'mon then, guys. If you could copy-vandalize the wood article, surely you can do something constructive and create this virus?

vodka.cobra

Postby vodka.cobra » Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:09 am UTC

Holy shit someone needs to do this!
If the above comment has anything to do with hacking or cryptography, note that I work for a PHP security company and might know what I'm talking about.

Shortgeek

Postby Shortgeek » Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:09 am UTC

madhollywood wrote:This is a fantastic idea for a virus. I hope to never make a comment on a XKCD thread that is as inane as most comments on youtube. I trust you all will call me on it if I do and I enthusiastically invite you to call me a moron in such a case.

..you're a moron. Do you actually think that you will believe that you are a moron? Humans are self-absorbed people who believe they're intelligent, and some anonymous guy on the internet's opinion won't change that. Just because I believe that the post you just posted is naive and stupid, doesn't mean you believe it. And you won't. Which is why you're wrong, and which is why I'm calling you a moron. Which is why you won't believe me. Which is why you're wrong. Which is why I'm calling you a moron.... :D

(If you actually managed to follow that, which I didn't, then good job. I must be a heck of a moron not to understand my own post...)
Last edited by Shortgeek on Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:12 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Shadic

Postby Shadic » Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:11 am UTC

If only people thought that way. When I call somebody out on their stupidity on YouTube, they fight back. :(

madhollywood

Postby madhollywood » Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:12 am UTC

vrazix wrote:aha. alt text is brilliant.

anyway, i've been saying for months that the epitome of intelligence resides in youtube comments. i regularly go on there to remind myself how brilliant i really am.

As a friend of mine once said, ""Sharing great wisdom in the company of fools may lead them to take you as one of their own." Be careful my friend...

phantom

Postby phantom » Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:13 am UTC

We need this. The internets would be a much better place.
my fairly pointless website: http://radoncube.com/
Gelsamel wrote:
Vaniver wrote:I'm claiming that the programming itself is the free will.

10 PRINT "Hello World"
20 GOTO 10
Yeah, the computer is using it's free will to display "Hello World" over and over again.

rwald

Postby rwald » Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:14 am UTC

Seriously, I still don't get the alt-text. Is this a reference to some specific well-known stupid comment, or just "YouTube commenters are so ignorant they don't know where babies come from"?

glasnt

Postby glasnt » Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:14 am UTC

I accidently this post.

I need a colocation.

Cofusious say you are a coditional idiot.

(we had a go at someone looking like he missed a letter in co-location last night on irc.. GET OUT OF MY HEAD RANDALL!)

includemaliciousintent

Postby includemaliciousintent » Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:15 am UTC

Ah, I always thought that girl (one who dates hat guy) was me put into cartoon form. Now, I will have to ask my programming teacher (and another friend who is on these forums whose SN escapes me) how we could do that in C++. I mean, it would be a funny project and would have real applications (ie, needing to learn at some point how to program in sounds).
"Money can buy you anything except true love and home grown tomatoes" - Prarie Home Companion (real radio show, not movie).

Shortgeek

Postby Shortgeek » Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:15 am UTC

rwald wrote:Seriously, I still don't get the alt-text. Is this a reference to some specific well-known stupid comment, or just "YouTube commenters are so ignorant they don't know where babies come from"?

http://www.somethingawful.com/flash/shmorky/babby.swf

It's a well-known stupid comment.

nyeguy

Postby nyeguy » Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:15 am UTC

This is better than the virus that replaces windows with Ubuntu, themes it like XP, then moves all your files to the same folder locations and deletes itself.

madhollywood

Postby madhollywood » Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:17 am UTC

Shortgeek wrote:
madhollywood wrote:This is a fantastic idea for a virus. I hope to never make a comment on a XKCD thread that is as inane as most comments on youtube. I trust you all will call me on it if I do and I enthusiastically invite you to call me a moron in such a case.

..you're a moron. Do you actually think that you will believe that you are a moron? Humans are self-absorbed people who believe they're intelligent, and some anonymous guy on the internet's opinion won't change that. Just because I believe that the post you just posted is naive and stupid, doesn't mean you believe it. And you won't. Which is why you're wrong, and which is why I'm calling you a moron. Which is why you won't believe me. Which is why you're wrong. Which is why I'm calling you a moron.... :D

(If you actually managed to follow that, which I didn't, then good job. I must be a heck of a moron not to understand my own post...)

I must admit that I possess no small amount of self-absorption, but I nonetheless relish your insults fine sir. You have done me and the world a great service by calling me out for what I am.

Random832

Postby Random832 » Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:17 am UTC

rwald wrote:Seriously, I still don't get the alt-text. Is this a reference to some specific well-known stupid comment, or just "YouTube commenters are so ignorant they don't know where babies come from"?

A specific well-known stupid non-youtube-comment post.
Last edited by Random832 on Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:19 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

linguistic

Postby linguistic » Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:18 am UTC

I, as they say, "loled".

Causing my coworkers much upset.

I generally don't even bother reading youtube comments any more.

One thought though:

Applying such a virus has a second benefit - it forces shorter posts.

It's a good thing.
Son of a bit!

Shortgeek

Postby Shortgeek » Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:27 am UTC

madhollywood wrote:

As a friend of mine once said, ""Sharing great wisdom in the company of fools may lead them to take you as one of their own." Be careful my friend...

Never argue with idiots. They bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Great minds think alike, but fools seldom differ.

A penny for your thoughts -> "A fool and his money are soon parted. My penny please?"
----
There are a few random quotes about fools. But seriously, vrazix, he's right. If you go down to the youtube comments too much, you'll start thinking that in order to be intelligent, you just need to be smarter than those guys, and then you realize that if those are your goals, you don't need to try as hard. Then you'll end up as a SEMI-moron who thinks he's smart, because he's smarter than some youtube comments.

Nicole88

Postby Nicole88 » Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:29 am UTC

The virus should also tap into their webcam and snap a photo, so we can SEE who the idiots are.
I'm drunk on panda mystery.

ParanoidDrone

Postby ParanoidDrone » Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:29 am UTC

nyeguy wrote:This is better than the virus that replaces windows with Ubuntu, themes it like XP, then moves all your files to the same folder locations and deletes itself.

Virus? Hell, I'd pay money for this. <_<

Agreeing with what everyone's said so far. And I loved the alt text.

EDIT:
Nicole88 wrote:The virus should also tap into their webcam and snap a photo, so we can SEE who the idiots are.

If the "Nude and Posting" thread is any indication, this could backfire in spectacular fashion. But then we could make fun of their penis size...but is it worth the mental scarring? Decisions...
Last edited by ParanoidDrone on Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:30 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Insert witty phrase here.

stormoftara

Postby stormoftara » Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:30 am UTC

This was a really funny comic. XD

Now I wish that it was real. AND that it was implemented in the past so those people didn't post those REALLY stupid comments on my videos.

Shortgeek

Postby Shortgeek » Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:34 am UTC

stormoftara wrote:This was a really funny comic. XD

Now I wish that it was real. AND that it was implemented in the past so those people didn't post those REALLY stupid comments on my videos.

If it were implemented in the past, then the comments wouldn't have been there. This would mean that the NEED to create such a virus would never have happened, and thus we wouldn't have created it and sent it to the past. But if we don't create it, then the problem is there, and we DO need to create it. It's like circular logic, but with a twist that makes it impossible in this dimension -- Mobius logic, if you will. I'd rather be killed by an LHC than a temporal paradox. So personally, I wish that it wasn't implemented in the past. :P

Argh, it's late at night and I probably am rambling about random stuff too much. I've already posted 5 times on the same thread, on the same PAGE, in 30 minutes, and those are the only things I've ever posted. But I just can't.....stop.....posting....ramblings... maybe we need a virus for forum posts as well as youtube comments?

pyroman

Postby pyroman » Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:40 am UTC

so i have been working on this physics lab write up for the past 5 hours which looks like a simple high school physics lab where you get to drop the ball over an aver again {GASP! GRAVITATIONAL ACCELERATION IS CONSTANT!!} but somehow they managed to turn it into 12 pages of hell. Seeing this comic made me feel a1000x better and i full heartedly (hmm ff doesn't seem to think that's a word) agree. this "virus" would do wonders for the mental standing of the internet. xkcd ftw!
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin

alchemistique

Postby alchemistique » Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:40 am UTC

L. M. A. O.

My friend and I have this discussion once a day. Seriously.

Falls right in line with the "Someone is wrong on the internet" strip - truer words never spoken...

thebeaky

Postby thebeaky » Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:41 am UTC

So does this change windows to ubunto thing actually exist?

if this post just sounds morinic please forgive me, but it could it could save me a lot of bother trying to get a working install. ( I suck at computers, anyways really but you know, I can only get better hey)

'; DROP DATABASE;--

Postby '; DROP DATABASE;-- » Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:49 am UTC

I have email subscriptions to my Youtube videos just to laugh at the sheer idiocy of some of the comments every now and then. :P
poxic wrote:You suck. And simultaneously rock. I think you've invented a new state of being.

cephalopod9

Postby cephalopod9 » Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:00 am UTC

Why are there so few viral anythings that are at all beneficial?

Splooge169

Postby Splooge169 » Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:07 am UTC

anyway, i've been saying for months that the nadir of intelligence resides in youtube comments. i regularly go on there to remind myself how brilliant i really am.

fixed

savage

Postby savage » Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:11 am UTC

This would NOT solve all of the world's problems.

It might come close, though.
The thing about revenge is, you have to do it right.

Death is quick, humiliation is forever.

AtomicCow

Postby AtomicCow » Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:19 am UTC

How I shot web?

anouk

Postby anouk » Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:22 am UTC

it should be a standard feature!
Someone say something funny please, I need a new signature.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”