0488: "Steal This Comic"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

embolalia

0488: "Steal This Comic"

Postby embolalia » Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:01 am UTC

Caption: "I spent more time trying to get an audible.com audio book playing than it took to listen to the book. I have lost every other piece of DRM-locked music I have paid for."

http://xkcd.com/488/

Totally agree. Reminds me of the story about Wal*Mart.
Last edited by embolalia on Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:49 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

lastscattering

Re: Steal This Comic

Postby lastscattering » Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:03 am UTC

Yeah, I bought a couple songs from Itunes before I realized what bullshit it was.

Now I go to record stores and buy my music old-school style. (an unmentioned third option)

stormoftara

Postby stormoftara » Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:04 am UTC

I recently couldn't play ANY of my songs I bought from Itunes. What crap is that? It's my music, I bought it, but it wouldn't let me play it. It's almost like they want me to steal music.

GodShapedBullet

Postby GodShapedBullet » Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:05 am UTC

This comic is pretty late. Talk Like A Pirate Day was almost a month ago.

Shale

Postby Shale » Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:05 am UTC

This is why when I do buy digital music I either buy it from eMusic (no DRM) or rent it from the Zune store (all-you-can-eat buffet, so even if it does stop working I've got my money's worth). iTunes can bite me for any number of reasons, although the DRM is pretty near the top.

1337geek

Postby 1337geek » Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:05 am UTC

RIGHT ON!
"Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together." --Carl Zwanzig

madhollywood

Postby madhollywood » Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:06 am UTC

Well, if I am going to be a criminal either way...

Also, in general, I have no qualms at all about being a pirate.

cranberrytuna

Postby cranberrytuna » Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:10 am UTC

I like having the actual cd, so I don't have much need to pirate. Plus, thanks to iTunes, cds are cheaper than they ever were (a dollar a song instead of the 20 bucks for 11 songs I remember from junior high).

VigintiTres

Postby VigintiTres » Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:10 am UTC

what ever happened to the lost art of buying cds?

themuffinking

Postby themuffinking » Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:11 am UTC

http://xkcd.com/14/

I get my music from Amazon. 256kbps whenever possible, DRM-free. The problem with this, of course, is the suggestions.

Recommended for you:

Men At Work - Business as Usual
Men Without Hats - Rhythm of Youth
Vanilla Ice - To The Extreme
Shu-de - Voices from the Distant Steppe

Lure+Breaker

Postby Lure+Breaker » Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:12 am UTC

I used to play .avi files. Recently, many sources I used to visit have changed to .mkv files. I cannot play.mkv files. I weep.

(I buy CDs :D)

sunami

Postby sunami » Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:12 am UTC

If you want to vote with your wallet, and want DRM-free music, the Amazon Music Store serves up usually higher bitrate music with no DRM, and from what I've seen usually 89c a piece rather than the 99c from itunes.
"You heard it here first: all my software is shitty."

Panama1984

Postby Panama1984 » Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:17 am UTC

I like how the name is reminiscent of the SOAD album

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:20 am UTC

I definitely agree here. Note to execs who think DRM is a good idea: when your customers are unable to use your product and/or service, you're doing it vastly wrong.

Lure+Breaker wrote:I used to play .avi files. Recently, many sources I used to visit have changed to .mkv files. I cannot play.mkv files. I weep.

Get yourself some VLC. Or MPlayer, if you live in the console, like I do.

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

leebenningfield

Postby leebenningfield » Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:21 am UTC

I haven't had any problem with Audible yet. I canceled my subscription some time ago, but I can still sign in and get access to the stuff I had bought. And the files play fine on my computer, my iPod, my PalmPilot, and now my Zune. Of course this is anecdotal, and I still agree that Audible's DRM is probably a bad thing in the long run.

As far as iTunes, I was able to convert everything I had bought there with one of those programs that stripped the DRM, but I don't think there are any nowadays that work (without lowering the quality on the songs). And I've avoided buying stuff on there since then, except for a few things that had a pre-release on iTunes and I planned on buying a physical copy later.

My main source of digital music, as someone else mentioned, is eMusic which is DRM free, and 1/4th the price of iTunes. I don't really like eMusic's audiobook service though... the monthly credits don't roll over like Audible's do, and mp3 isn't a great format for audiobooks, Audible's .aa format and iTunes' .m4b formats work better with devices that support them than mp3; you can bookmark them, play them sped up or slowed down, and they don't get played when I hit "shuffle all" on my portable devices.

vodka.cobra

Postby vodka.cobra » Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:21 am UTC

I wholly agree with this sentiment. :D

*looks up*
BUT WHO WAS LINK?
If the above comment has anything to do with hacking or cryptography, note that I work for a PHP security company and might know what I'm talking about.

MiffTheFox

Postby MiffTheFox » Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:22 am UTC

Lure+Breaker wrote:I used to play .avi files. Recently, many sources I used to visit have changed to .mkv files. I cannot play.mkv files. I weep.

(I buy CDs :D)

Go go gadget Community Combined Codec Pack!

tetromino

Postby tetromino » Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:25 am UTC

Use MPlayer or VLC. And if you are stuck on Windows, you could also install MPC and a recent version of a good codec pack.

lethesoda

Postby lethesoda » Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:26 am UTC

First page FTW.

There's a lot of artists (Nik Kershaw, or Herman's Hermits) I can't find on a hard copy. I don't mind buying them online, from either Amazon or iTunes. :shrug:
Spoiler:
Trapdoors. They make a difference.
The difference between "I'm leaving you" and "ZOMG YOU'RE A NINJA SWEET *secks*" -Kazuke

Cooley

Postby Cooley » Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:26 am UTC

This reminds me of Randal's old comics about copyright laws. A nice return to themes in my opinion.

syckls

Postby syckls » Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:30 am UTC

Do what you want 'cause a pirate is free,
You are a pirate!

Yar, har, fiddle dee dee,
Being a pirate is all right to be!
Do what you want 'cause a pirate is free,
You are a pirate!
You are a pirate! (YEAH!)

We've got us a site (A site!)
Where you can find a bunch of songs
Without paying those dongs (Those dongs!)
Piss off, RIAA!

We'll go to the site (The site!)
We know their music's DRM-free!
We'll download the songs
And then we'll say hooray!

The songs/dongs rhyme is really forced, I know, but it's the best I could do.
There are 3 kinds of people in this world: those who accept the Law of the Excluded Middle, those who don't, and those who are neither of the above.

ubergeek09

Postby ubergeek09 » Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:31 am UTC

Hey pirating should not be illegal. Whats wrong with sharing bits?

Dezign

Postby Dezign » Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:32 am UTC

Information IS free and always has been. It's just when a post-scarcity world clashes with a scarcity-bound economic system that we get crazy problems with no solutions like DRM software and intellectual property.

More on that: Scarcity is really the issue here. Computers essentially make information totally free (unless we place restrictions on it for our particular purposes), and our access to it is only a function of the value of whatever ELSE we do with our time and how LONG it takes us to use computers to do what we want. Electricity is folded into time, and everyone remembers Moore's Law for free computers. All that's left is how time translates into things with less than total abundance, and that's where money comes in... Money is crucially tied to getting material goods and material-restricted services, which includes food and shelter (and computers and medicine, in the US). If we had Star Trek replicators working for us, would we really NEED money to give incentives to create culture? No, people would create and distribute culture and science for free because those are things we love to do.

Admitting a bit of purpose-placing, it's still possible to see this in the difference between societies with high standards of living in the present day. The most technologically "advanced" nations with the highest standards of living/lowest poverty rates tend to have service-based economies, the most scientific research and more people with careers devoted to participating in culture.

I'd love for someone to contradict me as long as they can cite something, since I don't have any handy citations for this and I'd like some.

Edit: This is not an endorsement of communism.
Last edited by Dezign on Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:37 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.

ameretrifle
Vera

Postby ameretrifle » Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:36 am UTC

Does ripping music from library CDs count as piracy?

If so, well... Yarr. ;)

I never liked the whole iTunes software anyway, it's a pain in the ass to run on my laptop. I'm definitely gonna go to amazon for any of my future music-buying needs. If, of course, it's not at the library

firestar27

Postby firestar27 » Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:36 am UTC

If you use a CD, then you can use whatever format the program uses.

Crysm

Postby Crysm » Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:38 am UTC

I praise the return of and wholeheartedly concur with Black Hat Man.

Phasma Felis

Postby Phasma Felis » Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:39 am UTC

I totally agree with the comic, except that ITUNES HAS BEEN SELLING DRM-FREE MUSIC FOR A YEAR AND A HALF JESUS CHRIST PEOPLE.

Edit: I mean, seriously, I am all for DRM-free music and sticking it to the man, but iTunes is not the man. A year and a half, and all the Slashbots are still bitching about Steve Jobs tryin' to keep them down. If you want to throw a fit at somebody, throw it at the labels who refuse to sell using iTunes' DRM-free option. It's not Apple's fault.
Last edited by Phasma Felis on Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:42 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Timequake

Postby Timequake » Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:39 am UTC

Panama1984 wrote:I like how the name is reminiscent of the SOAD album

The Suicide Machines did it first (their "Steal This Record" was in 2001, SOAD's "Steal This Album!" was in 2002).
GENERATION -i: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum. Square it, and then add i to the generation.

PatchMonster

Postby PatchMonster » Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:40 am UTC

I agree, I am not ashamed to say I pirate most my music. Artists should be happy people are listening to their music/buying concert tickets. They can easily make a good living off concerts alone. I do buy their CDs when the talent warrants it, however.

Instance where a band/label has no right to whine about "piracy": 212M gross band tour (The Police): http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/art ... 1003685265
They shouldn't be whining.
The liberal media has a hidden agenda!

VHBT

Postby VHBT » Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:42 am UTC

I get my music from http://www.newgrounds.com/audio, so this isn't a problem. There are some fairly good songs there, too.

In fact, I almost exclusively play free games and use open source programs. The only non-free programs that I use regularly are Flash and Fireworks, though I could easily find a replacement for Fireworks if I hadn't bought it.

Brandon

Postby Brandon » Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:44 am UTC

Or you could buy MP3s from Amazon.com.

Just saying :)

Aglet

Postby Aglet » Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:45 am UTC

I predict that this comic will quickly become very popular on Digg, StumbleUpon, etc.

Rodan
Any title.

Postby Rodan » Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:46 am UTC

As I was reading this comic, a little bubble told me my torrent finished.
I think I'll go out and buy a cd.

gompers

Postby gompers » Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:48 am UTC

Timequake wrote:

The Suicide Machines did it first (their "Steal This Record" was in 2001, SOAD's "Steal This Album!" was in 2002).

Abbie Hoffman beat you by about thirty years.

skeptical scientist
closed-minded spiritualist

Postby skeptical scientist » Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:48 am UTC

It makes it harder to steal the comic when it's licensed as creative commons. Fortunately, the license requires attribution, so I hereby present:

-A comic by yours truly.

Stolen, bitches!
I'm looking forward to the day when the SNES emulator on my computer works by emulating the elementary particles in an actual, physical box with Nintendo stamped on the side.

"With math, all things are possible." —Rebecca Watson

dr7

Postby dr7 » Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:49 am UTC

Timequake wrote:

Ahem.
dr7: king of the wicker people

Shale

Postby Shale » Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:50 am UTC

gompers wrote:
Timequake wrote:

Abbie Hoffman beat you by about thirty years.

The fact that this had to be pointed out makes me a sad pop culture nerd.

roc314
Is dead, and you have killed him

Postby roc314 » Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:50 am UTC

Their album name was based off of the book Steal this Book. I believe that was the original.

In other news, its nice to see Randall outraged about copyright laws again. I support. The flow chart is a nicely succinct way of expressing the problems with DRM. If only more people would realize how the cycle goes...
Hippo: roc is the good little communist that lurks in us all
Richard Stallman: Geeks like to think that they can ignore politics, you can leave politics alone, but politics won't leave you alone.
suffer-cait: roc's a pretty cool dude

FearfulFerret

Postby FearfulFerret » Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:55 am UTC

The main problem with the whole business is that, ultimately, businesses that sell something that can be replicated quickly, accurately, and effortlessly (and can also be distributed as such) have no idea what they've got their hands on. Pretty much hand-in-hand with the capitalist system comes the idea that consumers pay for a product. Now that we've got a medium of distribution and storage that breaks all the traditional rules, the whole system gets turned on its head. Ultimately, DRM simply cannot exist. I fully support Jonathan Coulton for his business model (and music, I suppose) and I also love Stardock's "gamer's bill of rights". I can listen to music without paying, I can play games without upgrading, and I can do it all without any fear that DRM will come in to ruin my experience. And it's legal.

I don't support pirating copyrighted material, though, because it seems like, instead of getting the hint, businesses tend to just complain to their security people, who then implement tougher restrictions, which then exacerbates the problem. The digital medium will be a difficult market to stabilize, and it'll take a radical shift in economic perspective, but I dearly hope that it does happen. Until then, people will rationalize immoral and illegal actions (and I'm not saying that all illegal actions are immoral, but rather, that pirates tend to cross the line when it comes to protesting unfair treatment and just plain old theft) and businesses will continue to blame lost profits on said people, thus rationalizing policies that cut into their profits for entirely different reasons. It's just difficult to imagine large companies making expensive products when the only way to pay for it is by whether or not gamers choose to support it. However much we may support the Indie games, it still holds true that, without some method of guaranteeing a profit from making a game, big-budget games simply won't exist.

Bottom line, I'm growing out of active gaming (and into heavy passive gaming) and will simply sit back and laugh as the industry tries to respond. This should be interesting.

Doooon't download thi-is so-ong...

guyy

Postby guyy » Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:00 am UTC

This is kind of disappointing.

I mean, iTunes DRM is annoying, but it's not like it's hard to get rid of. Just burn a CD of each album you buy; if the DRMed files stop working, just copy new non-DRMed ones off the CD. If you buy too much music to do this, well, you buy too much music. Amazon MP3 pretty much destroys the problem, since their music is higher-quality, less expensive, and DRM-free.

Yes, DRM is stupid, but pirating just gives companies an excuse to continue using DRM, or even make it more evil.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”