0233: "A New CAPTCHA Approach"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

tylerni7

Postby tylerni7 » Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:24 pm UTC

The other sure fire way to test if you are human. http://hotcaptcha.com/
Basically you have to select three of the people that you think are the hottest. It's very subjective, but it will probably work for most people.

meso

Postby meso » Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:25 pm UTC

Am I really the only one that thought the end to that Futurama episode was hilarious?

william
Not a Raptor. Honest.

Postby william » Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:45 pm UTC

wac wrote:The first thing that popped into my mind was replacing the form with:

You're in a desert, walking along in the sand when all of a sudden you look down and see a tortoise. You reach down and you flip the tortoise over on its back. The tortoise lays on its back, its belly baking in the hot sun, beating its legs trying to turn itself over but it can't. Not without your help. But you're not helping. Why aren't you helping?

( ) What do you mean I'm not helping?!
( ) Apathy

( ) Because I am also a tortoise...
SecondTalon wrote:A pile of shit can call itself a delicious pie, but that doesn't make it true.

Vandole

Postby Vandole » Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:18 pm UTC

Ugh, I hate captcha. I usually have stupid problems with them, like being unable to tell an O from a 0 or something. Or l, I and 1 are sometimes very similar in the font used.
Vandole wants you to read An Intimate History of the Greater Kingdom (NSFW text).
Oh, I'm no end table. I'm a nightstand.
Gelsamel wrote:Don't ever sig me..... ever.

the Siliconopolitan

Postby the Siliconopolitan » Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:43 pm UTC

tylerni7 wrote:The other sure fire way to test if you are human. http://hotcaptcha.com/
Basically you have to select three of the people that you think are the hottest. It's very subjective, but it will probably work for most people.

Hmmm -- interesting. I appear to have poor taste in men ...

Or perhaps I am a bot.

Tractor

Postby Tractor » Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:43 pm UTC

tylerni7 wrote:The other sure fire way to test if you are human. http://hotcaptcha.com/

Hrm, About 1/3 of the time I end up labeled as a bot.
Maybe one of my grandparents was a bot...

EDIT: And now I notice its based in hotornot...so I'm not 1/3 bot, hotornot has its own thing going on. On that note, its really easy to pick which 3 hotornot will say are the hottest.
9 x 6 = 42

Note: Randall kicks ass.

Vandole

Postby Vandole » Fri Mar 09, 2007 11:12 pm UTC

Yeah, hotornot has a real bias against larger girls apparently, even if they are beautiful. Oddly, some male pictures started appearing in the females... at least they look male.

It's fairly easy to suspend personal preference for it and just go for the ones with the most cleavage showing, failing that the most "model" like.
Vandole wants you to read An Intimate History of the Greater Kingdom (NSFW text).
Oh, I'm no end table. I'm a nightstand.
Gelsamel wrote:Don't ever sig me..... ever.

Quake

Postby Quake » Fri Mar 09, 2007 11:13 pm UTC

About those chicks;

some clues here?
Anyone ?

(I've already got smooth skin)
-------------
This is teh best one so far;
-----------------------
I really feel monogametous today.
It's soon spring equinox, and there are things to do and places to go. Soo..

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Fri Mar 09, 2007 11:31 pm UTC

I was apparently wrong.

Istrom

Postby Istrom » Sat Mar 10, 2007 1:27 am UTC

I went to the fear of a bot planet wiki-entry, and ended up at Jai alai :?

chan the evoker

Postby chan the evoker » Sat Mar 10, 2007 1:35 am UTC

As far as I can tell, going with the 3 women with the biggest boobs, smoothest skin, largest exposed skin area and least round [lumpy] face works pretty much all the time, and would probably be doable for a smart bot.

Apparently, I have incredibly bad taste in men. Has anyone come up with a reliable technique for identifying the hot men?

Kredal

Postby Kredal » Sat Mar 10, 2007 2:02 am UTC

This comic was interesting for me. I was registering for the forums (see? post number 3.. I'm new!) and I got the registration email, clicked on the link, got sent to a page that said "welcome" and stuff... then I clicked on the little xkcd at the top, thinking it would take me to the top of the forums... instead, it took me to the comic, which I hadn't seen yet, and for about 3 seconds, I thought it was really part of the registration process.

Spooky.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Sat Mar 10, 2007 2:32 am UTC

I was just about to post one of the Bladerunner questions (or more accurately, one of the ones from the book; it's been so long since I saw the movie that I don't remember which ones were in that), when I came across the tortoise one.

Damn other people for waking up earlier than me.

(And no, I'm not just now waking up. I'm just now bothering to post here.)

Yorgan

Postby Yorgan » Sat Mar 10, 2007 2:46 am UTC

The LBT moment made me bawl my eyes out, one of the few non-musical pieces of art that has had that strong an effect on me in my lifetime.

I didn't shed a tear over the Futurama episode (unlike some of my friends), but it did leave me feeling all sad and sentimental. And in fairness, there was a big gap in the level of cold-hearted cynicism and world-wearines, between my 8 year old and my 18 year old selves. But yeah, Futurama does have that capactiy for moments of real emotional depth. Like the Simpsons used to, back in the good old days before it became crap (like the bit at the end of the one where Bart runs away from home on thanksgiving...)

CAPTCHAs are interesting. Of course life will be a lot easier once we all have openIDs, and can just verify our humanity with one central webservice that subjects us to some rigorous but well designed tests once every couple of months, rather than doing a half baked one every single time we want to join yet another internet forum....

I think I'm going to honours thesis on CAPTCHA related technology. Going to have to finish my undergraduate degree first of course.

warriorness
Huge Fucking-Lazer

Postby warriorness » Sat Mar 10, 2007 3:32 am UTC

chan the evoker wrote:

As far as I can tell, going with the 3 women with the biggest boobs, smoothest skin, largest exposed skin area and least round [lumpy] face works pretty much all the time, and would probably be doable for a smart bot.

Apparently, I have incredibly bad taste in men. Has anyone come up with a reliable technique for identifying the hot men?

So it's not just me? I have never failed with the women, and never succeeded with the men.
Iluvatar wrote:Love: Gimme the frickin' API.
yy2bggggs, on Fischer Random chess wrote:Hmmm.... I wonder how how a hypermodern approach would work

notzeb
Without Warning

Postby notzeb » Sat Mar 10, 2007 3:34 am UTC

NO! DON'T IMPLEMENT THAT!

Because, uh, IT'LL NEVER WORK!

Edit: DAMN YOU, SALADIN! YOU CANNOT KEEP US DOWN FOREVER!

YOU'LL DIE EVENTUALLY 8)
Last edited by notzeb on Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:52 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Zµ«V­jÕ«ZµjÖ­Zµ«VµjÕ­ZµkV­ZÕ«VµjÖ­Zµ«V­jÕ«ZµjÖ­ZÕ«VµjÕ­ZµkV­ZÕ«VµjÖ­Zµ«V­jÕ«ZµjÖ­ZÕ«VµjÕ­ZµkV­ZÕ«ZµjÖ­Zµ«V­jÕ«ZµjÖ­ZÕ«VµjÕ­Z

Animos

Postby Animos » Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:05 am UTC

Some CAPTCHA fun courtesy of the site formerly known as the Daily WTF:

--Animos

Purple

Postby Purple » Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:06 am UTC

My granny gave me a Littlefoot doll when I was 1...And I still sleep with him from time to time. I love that movie so much that each sequel just makes me angrier and angrier.

supergeorgina

the most traumatic movie of my childhood

Postby supergeorgina » Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:33 am UTC

No lie, you guys: I had to be removed from a friend's birthday party because they showed this movie and I was just bawling so hard. Futurama also broke me. To this day, I tear up when I hear that song by Connie Francis.

screech

Postby screech » Sat Mar 10, 2007 6:49 am UTC

I've never seen LBT, so I wouldn't know about that. But watching the ending of that Futurama episode, I just broke down.

:cry:
alitheiapsis wrote:HEY NOW DON'T TALK SHIT ABOUT BRONTOSAURUSES

Twasbrillig
Tawsbirlig

Postby Twasbrillig » Sat Mar 10, 2007 7:46 am UTC

The one where Fry's brother names his son Philip is much more sad. MUCH more. Though the Seymour story is sad, it has never made me cry.

The same cannot be said for the death of Gandalf or the depart of Bilbo.
I want to have Bakemaster's babies. It's possible, with science.

I wonder if you can see...
...what is wrong with my signature?

wing wrote:I'm sorry... But that was THE funniest thing I've ever read on the interbutts.

Captain Red

Postby Captain Red » Sat Mar 10, 2007 9:37 am UTC

Joshua wrote:I
Can't
Wait
For new Futurama
(2008 on Comedy Central)

Second.

For all the reasons that y'all have been giving.

Second.

I was bawling when I first saw that episode.

Second.

And the one Darksun mentioned is great too.
But my favourite of all time is "The Sting", where Fry gets "killed" by the giant bee.

The Sting is great. That's one of my trio of favorites, along with "The Devil's Hands are Idle Playthings" and "The Farnsworth Parabox".l

Latch wrote:(wooo my first post).

I refuse to watch that Futurama episode now (as well as "The Sting"). They're some of the best cartoons I've ever seen, but when I'm watching cartoons it's usually because I'm upbeat and happy. I usually wish to stay that way. Jurassic Bark and The Sting just ruin that for me.

Why the Sting? The Sting is awesome!

aephoenix wrote:That futurama episode.. wow I freaking hate it because every time I even think about it I start crying >_< because it is so freaking sad! And whenever I watch it I think about my dog >< and how I miss him D:

I totally thought I was alone xP

I went through the stage of hating it. Hell, when I first saw it, I kinda hated Futurama in general for it. Now I just avoid the episode unless I feel like crying.

And now for verification before I submit...

wac wrote:The first thing that popped into my mind was replacing the form with:

You're in a desert, walking along in the sand when all of a sudden you look down and see a tortoise. You reach down and you flip the tortoise over on its back. The tortoise lays on its back, its belly baking in the hot sun, beating its legs trying to turn itself over but it can't. Not without your help. But you're not helping. Why aren't you helping?

( ) What do you mean I'm not helping?!
( ) Apathy

Nobody messes with the turtles!

(I'm sure the windmills will keep them cool!)

RealGrouchy wrote:The best captcha would be before you even register:

WARNING: Due to the high level of spam, the process to register for the xkcd fora requires the completion of a series of mundane, redundant tasks. Do you want to continue?
( ) Yes
( ) No

A spambot would not be able to resist this opportunity; therefore, the user would only be able to register if they select "no".

Case closed.

- RG>

Would the flower also have been acceptable?

(if you can't be funny, be funny by proxy... or proximity... or volume)

mikekearn

Postby mikekearn » Sat Mar 10, 2007 9:48 am UTC

That episode of Futurama is probably one of the most saddening things I've ever seen. I mean, I laughed when Bambi's mom died, and that episode almost moved me to tears. Maybe because it's more of an adult show, it was able to reach me better?

Who knows...
"I will not succumb to temptation. Unless she's cute."

This is a haiku.
It has correct number of
Syllables. I think.

Visit the orphateria.

Rafael Madeira

Postby Rafael Madeira » Sat Mar 10, 2007 12:47 pm UTC

Animos wrote:Some CAPTCHA fun courtesy of the site formerly known as the Daily WTF:

Hahaha yes, the "well known blog" I mentioned is The Daily WTF, I remember now.

Thanks, Animos.

tylerni7

Postby tylerni7 » Sat Mar 10, 2007 1:23 pm UTC

chan the evoker wrote:

Yea it wouldn't be too hard to train a bot to do that, although the pictures are really crappy with bad light, not centered, really close up, etc. It might confuse a robot into thinking someone is showing more skin if they just take a picture right up next to their face or something. It would be easy and spammers would get around it eventually, but it would be harder than using the captchas that we have now.

Oh and another thing a bot could do, since it's all from hot or not, it might be able to just take all the pictures and ratings from there and then use those to recognize the people. That would certainly make it easier..

umbrae

Postby umbrae » Sat Mar 10, 2007 4:32 pm UTC

Captain Red wrote:Nobody messes with the turtles!

(I'm sure the windmills will keep them cool!)

WINDMILLS DO NOT WORK THAT WAY!

GOODNIGHT!

Charodei

Postby Charodei » Sat Mar 10, 2007 6:52 pm UTC

Vandole wrote:Ugh, I hate captcha. I usually have stupid problems with them, like being unable to tell an O from a 0 or something. Or l, I and 1 are sometimes very similar in the font used.

1, I, l, and | (bar). Also -, –, — (hyphen, en-dash, em-dash).

It's often a problem with registration codes, account numbers, parcel tracking codes and such, depending on the fontface used. Good ones will never use amiguous characters.

Workaphobia

Postby Workaphobia » Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:38 pm UTC

fjafjan wrote:The sadest and possibly best futurama moment it is, and so frustrating!
Though I did feel somewhat simular in "The luck of the fryish"

That's the other major heartbreaker. Both are phenomenal because both deal with a time in Fry's life that he cannot go back to, and a world (or at least a few characters) that miss him. I kind of get the feeling that the writers will have to work some form of time travel or equivalent plot device into a few of the new episodes so that Fry can visit his family, but that's pure speculation.

utopian.bookmobile

Postby utopian.bookmobile » Sat Mar 10, 2007 9:47 pm UTC

I swear randall has wiretaps on my phones, all the comics refer to the conversations I have the day before.

I was talking about captchas and littlefoot and land before time literally the day before this comic came out, and I hadn't even thought about if for years, it's a little bit scary.

Wikey

Postby Wikey » Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:38 pm UTC

The Land Before Time is really popular right now :P

I had three conversations about it at school this week and even watched an episdoe of the new animated series last Saturday.

The Seymour episode and the one about Fry's nephew tug at my heartstrings every time. Futurama is the best.

aisling
Has (underage) boobs

Postby aisling » Sun Mar 11, 2007 12:36 am UTC

I actually made a really sad looking frown when I read this comic. I remember watching those at my caregiver's house almost daily, and it was just so sad. :(

Cambdoranononononono

Postby Cambdoranononononono » Sun Mar 11, 2007 8:23 am UTC

I feel I just have to bring up Feed the Kitty. That video isn't in English, but I assume some people have seen this before?

Toeofdoom
The (Male) Skeleton Guitarist

Postby Toeofdoom » Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:15 am UTC

tylerni7 wrote:
chan the evoker wrote:

Yea it wouldn't be too hard to train a bot to do that, although the pictures are really crappy with bad light, not centered, really close up, etc. It might confuse a robot into thinking someone is showing more skin if they just take a picture right up next to their face or something. It would be easy and spammers would get around it eventually, but it would be harder than using the captchas that we have now.

Oh and another thing a bot could do, since it's all from hot or not, it might be able to just take all the pictures and ratings from there and then use those to recognize the people. That would certainly make it easier..

that website decided to kill me about 60-70% of the time.... before I worked out the pattern >.>

voodooKobra
You just....

Postby voodooKobra » Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:42 am UTC

I hated that movie as a child, and I hate it even more now that I'm older.

Also, there's what? 20 of them? Give it a rest. The dinosaurs are extinct; the comet wins. Get over it.

On another note, another movie I hated was "The Brave Little Toaster", mainly because that movie scared me.
If you need to reach me, email kobrasrealm@gmail.com

in b4 spam

Kobra's Corner - My horribly-written opinions that aren't worth reading. Seriously; you're better off reading Nietzsche translated into myspace user lingo.

Patashu
Answerful Bignitude

Postby Patashu » Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:22 am UTC

One of the especially good captchas I've seen is based on cursive:

http://www.cbstuff.nl/botchecks/bartjan ... h=&page=23

ImageImage

Supposed to be exponentially harder for a bot to read cursive than to read print.

(and you don't need to type both words, it picks top or bottom at random and asks you to type one)

German Sausage
3 of 5

Postby German Sausage » Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:14 am UTC

i don't get the fuss about the fry's dog episode.
fry's dog: loves him.
heartstring #57: *is tugged*
done.
its sad, but not that sad

Gordon
Dr. Banana
Dr. Banana

Postby Gordon » Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:19 am UTC

The dog waited for him! .. and waited... and waited........ and waited
Meaux_Pas wrote:
RealGrouchy wrote:I still remember the time when Gordon left. I still wake up in the middle of the night crying and screaming his name.
I do that too, but for an entirely different reason.
RealGrouchy wrote:
Gordon wrote:How long have I been asleep?!
Our daughter is in high school now.

siliconslave

Postby siliconslave » Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:30 am UTC

"Is this to be an empathy test? Capillary dilation of the so-called blush response? Fluctuation of the pupil. Involuntary dilation of the iris..."

"we call it captchas for short"

tylerni7

Postby tylerni7 » Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:49 am UTC

Patashu wrote:One of the especially good captchas I've seen is based on cursive:

ImageImage

Supposed to be exponentially harder for a bot to read cursive than to read print.

(and you don't need to type both words, it picks top or bottom at random and asks you to type one)

But that's also much harder for humans. I can barely tell what it says... Or maybe I'm just a robot trying to trick you into using captchas that are too hard.

Patashu
Answerful Bignitude

Postby Patashu » Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:26 am UTC

tylerni7 wrote:
Patashu wrote:One of the especially good captchas I've seen is based on cursive:

ImageImage

But that's also much harder for humans. I can barely tell what it says... Or maybe I'm just a robot trying to trick you into using captchas that are too hard.

Really? I can read it effortlessly.

cave/axes

anti/soy

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”